“Not quite 5*”

Hotel Elba Palace Golf
Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Caleta de Fuste
Reviewed 27 November 2013

A really lovely characterful building, with a beautiful inner courtyard, stunning! Excellent service at meal times, and well cooked food, with plenty of choice. The rooms are fine apart from the fact that the air conditioning is so feeble as to be almost non-existent! The out side pool area is very pretty but very few guests swam as the water was freezing, such a shame. The golf course adjacent to the hotel was extremely bus,y at one point 4 four balls on one hole! It was the same every day, just a conveyer belt of golfers. Not the most attractive course, but it was ok. The best thing about the hotel was the fact that it's an adults only hotel, just bliss. I don't think we'd go back as there so many other places with golf on site that are genuinely 5*. There is nothing else to do in this area other than walk to the local supermarket! or the harbour/beach. Sadly the recession has meant that there is a lot of abandoned building work in the area, most unattractive. The hotel staff were unfailingly pleasant and helpful.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a suite
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank Val B
ELBAPALACEGOLF, Director General at Hotel Elba Palace Golf, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Dear Val B., we regret to read that in general your expectations weren´t fulfilled due to the issues you mention. We appreciate you share your opinión here on Tripadvisor and we thank you for all the comments that will help us to our improvement commitment. There is no doubt that this is quite important for us.

However we would like to point out that air conditioning has been working without problem and our outside swimming pool keeps wáter to an average temp. of 28ºC during Winter time.
On the other hand, the winter time is considered very high season and it´s pretty easy to find much more golfers on the course than other months when it´s low season;

Thank you once again for your review; we look forward to seeing you again in case you consider to come back to Fuerteventura,

There are newer reviews for Hotel Elba Palace Golf

Reviewed 22 November 2013

Stayed here for a week with my friend,as we were golfing good place to be as right on golf course,Reception good on arrival champagne and hot wipes to refresh you,and staff very nice our room was 124 overlooking pool and driving range and some hole of the golf course,we always got the sun an ideal place to be better than the rooms overlooking the 18th fairway as no sun. Golf was good have wrote a review about golf course, hotel excellent location for us golfers very quiet course busy staff good ,meals didn't quite hit my expectations breakfast average, dinner was fine dining,am a bit of a fussy eater and not into fish so not a great deal of choice and to much sweet potato on plate,give me some good old potatoes and vegetables!!!!maybe a buffet would be better!! All in all a nice hotel but not quite 5star! Bedrooms maybe need brightening up.Would I go back (maybe). Good shopping area about a10 minute walk or you get the free bus from hotel every hour, excellent service.Hotel a little far out if you don't golf and quiet Piona player at night and he also sings in bar, nice to sit out in courtyard and listen to him.

Room Tip: Room facing pool
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Mags Thornhill, We´d like to thank you for having posted your point of view after your recent stay. Our guest´s opinión is quite important for us as it contribute definitely to improve and provide a better service every day.

Be sure we have taken good note of all your remarks.

It would be a great pleasure to welcoming you again in a further occassion,

Reviewed 22 November 2013

We have stayed here four time before this visit and for two weeks each time so we are in a good position to see how it has changed. If you love golf, a peaceful hotel and adults only (99% of the time) then this is the place for you. It always has been like this.
The staff are very friendly although overworked so it can seem like they are a little abrupt at times, but trust me they are not, it is just they don't always have time to make small talk. As long as you don't expect anything above and beyond the call of duty then you will be fine. It always amuses me people complaining about ducks in the swimming pool and fledgling birds on the palm trees. The employees are not there to control the wildlife for heaven's sake !! If there is a lul in their duties Xavier (Maitre D) et al are always pleased to engage you. Just use your judgement as to what is appropriate to ask.
The food is good and has improved from last year, although breakfast can sometimes be a little slow but as you are on holiday does it really matter? I would advise again full board if you go for two weeks, as it does not vary that much (there are other excellent restaurants in the town including Gambrinus and O'Connors.) The wine list is not what it was in 2010 which is a shame, there seems to be more emphasis on the Elba wines which, although good, cannot compete with the supurb Rioja Gran Reservas they used to do. The pool is supurb as it is nearly always emply and very, very peaceful. We went to The Sheritan once (the sister 5* hotel) and found it much more crowded and sun beds at a premium. I would say the biggest drawback about staying here is the fact you have to get the shuttle bus or walk into the town. If you can accept this I'm sure that you will enjoy it here

Room Tip: If you can afford it, upgrade to the suite
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 November 2013

We had an afternoon flight which worked OK, we prefer a morning flight, but couldn't find one. Picked up a hire car at the airport, which always seem to take forever, even though it's pre-booked over the net. Found the hotel no problem thanks to TomTom, don't try that without one. Arrival and check-in created a very good impression, the lady on check-in was just fantastic, absolutely bursting with enthusiasm, yet totally professional, I didn't get her name, and we didn't see her again for the rest of the holiday to get it, but thanks. Greeted with a chilled towel and a glass of sparkling wine, both were very welcome. The room was lovely, we were on the first floor, overlooking the 9th. green. As we'd come to play golf we had more clothes than there were hangers, but a call to reception rectified this in no time, fantastic. Continuing with the positive stuff, watching the sunrise over the sea, and the golf course, from our balcony was just great. During our stay we booked the Jacuzzi/sauna suite, it's really very good you get a key and the suite to yourselves for an hour, and a bottle of bubbly. Now, the reason we picked this hotel over the all inclusive competition was to experience some fine dining and no children. The no children part worked well, and we will always prefer to book an adults only hotel. So breakfast; we found this to be a bit average by 4 star standards, and quite poor for a 5 star. The good points were the freshly squeezed orange juice, most mornings, but watch out for the glass of freshly squeezed fruit flies. The flies are obviously attracted to the machine, but the staff just need to check it out and clean where needed. We were playing golf most mornings so didn't have much time to hang around over breakfast, so when the only bacon in the tray was black we'd already left before a fresh batch arrived, again someone should be checking what's out there. Lunch in the 19th. hole, we were a little nervous when we saw at breakfast that the special of the day was ham egg and chips, but we called in after our round had a drink checked out the menu and settled for a salad rather than pizza or chips. No fresh fish, seafood, steak so we weren't too surprised to find we were the only one's eating. But we had a car, so opted to lunch out for the rest of the holiday. Just as well really, as the best part of the evening meal was the wonderful courtyard setting and the buffet salad starter. Now I do like a salad, but usually at lunch and as a side dish. However as the main dish of meat or fish is served at the table with no vegetables, sauce or gravy we soon realised that you probably needed a good plate of salad first. We don't normally have a dessert, but it was a good option here, and preferable to the endless salad.
We found the head waiter to be rude, he had a problem with us signing or not a chit after the meal, fine but he broached the subject brusquely, loudly and in public as we sat down one evening. After the meal that evening, I called him to the table and told him that if there was anything he needed signing then bring it. This worked well for the rest of the holiday.
The pool was really quite nice, and it almost came as a shock to be able to walk out to the pool at any time, and spot the available sunbeds by the absence of a person on it. Rather than the usual mass of unoccupied sunbeds reserved for another time with towels and books, that is all too common in other hotels. We found the pool to be of a reasonable temperature, a bit warmer might be nice, but it wasn't cold. A pool area drink service would have been handy.
Overall we loved the area, this was our first trip to Fuerteventura, so we did some driving around on days off from golf. I've written separate reviews for the two golf courses and some local restaurants, plus the beautiful SotaVento beach down in Jandia.
The hotel itself, and most of it's staff were very good, really let down by the quality and style of the food. I would suggest they should employ chefs, rather than cook's, have a good look at their menu and some areas of quality control.

Room Tip: Try for any room with a view over the golf course.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Speedking
Reviewed 3 November 2013

This hotels charges u €1 to order a taxi - this to me is an absolute disgrace plus the front desk staff are very rude & obnoxious. On the up side the staff in the in house beauty / hair salon are lovely!!

Stayed: October 2013
5  Thank ReviewmeK
ELBAPALACEGOLF, Director General at Hotel Elba Palace Golf, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2013

Dear Sir/Madam, thank you for your review but despite this is an obviously complimentary service provided to all our Hotel guests, please kindly note that for outside Visitors, phone calls are not free.

We apologize if you found rude the service of our associate when informing you about this and we sincerely appreciate your positive comments on our open Health & Beauty facilities.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

Just arrived back from 11 days at The Elba Palace Golf Hotel in Calleta de Fuste, Fuerteventura and whilst this is a lovely hotel to look at and the rooms are a good size it does not quite hit the ‘five star’ rating in my opinion. Little things deter from its five star rating e.g. hole in face towel, not replacing all towels on change over days, not filling tea/coffee trays in room, really poor lunch in cafeteria after waiting 50 minutes for it to arrive, freezing cold pool, so you cannot go for a swim or just go in to cool down (supposed to be heated), no evening entertainment (just a piano player every night), these are just a few of the things that made me think not quite ‘five star’.

As I stated above this is a lovely hotel the rooms are situated on three sides of a quadrangle where there is a fountain with surrounding plants and very tall trees all the way round. People sit in this area to have a drink, eat their evening meal and listen to the piano player. Unfortunately, we did not sit in the quad to eat our meals as birds roost in the trees and I’m fussy what falls into my food, also the lighting is very dim and I like to see what I am eating. In the mornings you could see all the bird droppings on the floor where dining tables had been the night before, not for me I’m afraid so we used the indoor dining room.

I booked this hotel because it was classed as adults only, this is not the case. In the 11 days we were there several children were allowed to stay albeit only for short periods but that stops it being adults only.

When I booked I had no idea that the sea would be so far away from the hotel I was under the impression it was walking distance, this was not the case for me. The hotel do provide a free bus which takes you down to the shopping centre which is just in front of the sea but you are not allowed to get back on the bus in wet swimming things so you would need to change into ordinary clothes before getting the bus back. Needless to say we never went onto the beach or into the sea.

Normally on holiday my husband and I go for a walk after our evening meal, usually along the promenade but this hotel has a housing estate at the back and side and the golf course at the front and other side, so there was nowhere for you to go for a walk. The golf course paths are not illuminated at night so we couldn’t even walk around the golf course. I would have chosen a hotel on the sea front but none were classed as adults only.

On a lighter note the majority of the staff were lovely, they worked extremely hard and were very polite. One night they had a golf function and they were rushed off their feet but they still served us promptly and courteously. I would give full marks to the waiting/serving/reception staff.

I must state before I finish the breakfast food was lovely but it was not replenished very quickly and the evening meals were delicious on the whole but the desserts were a bit repetitive.

This hotel is ideal if you are a golfer and perhaps like to sit and talk about the days play in the evening but I’m afraid it was not for me or the other three people in my party and we will not be going again.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the golf course where you can see the sea.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank ladyyellalot

Dear Guest, thank you for posting your review here on Tripadvisor, We can realice that, as you mention on the tin, you would may have prefered a Hotel by the beach and ours is around 800 meters and located in the heart of the Golf Course, wich makes the delicious for all those golf lovers.

We have taken good note of your remarks, the positives and the negatives, and we´ll do our efforts to improve the service we provide to all our guest.

If you consider comming again to Fuerteventura, please note that Elba Hotels also have Resorts located just in front of the beach. We would be very happy to count with you again in a further visit.

Juan J. Moreno

Reviewed 25 October 2013

We didn't choose this hotel, it was a default booking by our holiday company the day befpre we flew due to their mess up. Now, as this wasn't our choice of holiday I will admit I was down on the place for the first few days - it was completely opposite to the original hotel we had booked HOWEVER, had we have wanted a golfing hotel in fuerteventura that is relaxing and peaceful then we would have absolutely loved it and you would not need to look any further! The staff are attentive (sometimes grumpy) although, with me being pregnant they did allow me to have non-alcoholic wine in their fridges which they served to me at dinner (just to make me feel a little fitted in). The room we were in was a basic room im afraid with a palm tree to look at from the balcony (we were promised a golf course view and sea view when booking in) and some of the items in the room couldve been a little more up to scratch for a 5 star hotel (e.g. Broken phone, old TV, lightbulbs missing) but if you are there to playgolf, drink and fine dine then I don't suppose you would be bothered about those items. We did have an extra guest in our room one night (cockroach) but luckily after me screaming the husband caught and got rid of the bugger (I didn't expect that in a 5 star hotel either - but there was only one in 7 nights). The hotel is a fair distance from the beach and I wouldnt suggest walking it (unless you are an avid walker and can deal with the heat) but there is a shuttle bus which is absolutely brilliant (but could just do with being available early afternoon also). The breakfast was great (as long as you didn't get up too late as thats when the food started to diminish) the evening meal was nice however, the menu could do with changing maybe half way through the week to aid in being a little varied (we started to eat out towards end of holiday). There is a lovely jacuzzi and sauna area here but you have to pay 9 euros per person for the privelege. Overall a great golfing holiday for you avid golfers out there, we were forced to stay here however, by the end of the holiday we did agree that had we have been looking for a golf hotel, thats were we would go.

Room Tip: Ask for a golf course and sea view room, this way you get the sun and a nice view to look at from th...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
#6 of 45 in Corralejo
Barcelo Castillo Royal Level
Barcelo Castillo Royal Level
#2 of 23 in Caleta de Fuste

Been to Hotel Elba Palace Golf? Share your experiences!