“Excellent place to stay on a budget”
Review of Caleta Dorada

Caleta Dorada
Ranked #11 of 23 Hotels in Caleta de Fuste
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Excellent place to stay on a budget”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

We were pretty worried about staying here after reading all of the reviews, but were pleasantly surprised when we arrived! The little bungalows are clean, spacious and have everything you need. The noise from the planes flying over is quite loud, and starts fairly early however we managed to sleep through it most days.

Location is good- a 5/10 minute walk to the beach, but it is up a gradual hill so may not be ideal for people with walking difficulties.

We only ate lunch and breakfast there, but both meals had good selections. Breakfast was brilliant- fresh pancakes and omelettes were on offer amongst many other things, and this is probably one of the best hotel breakfasts I've ever had (including in 4/5 star hotels.) Lunch wasn't exactly gourmet but for what we paid for the hotel on an all inclusive basis, we really couldn't complain.

We went over Easter and only one bar was open, but I'm guessing that more bars open in summer. Overall, we found this place to be excellent value for money-it's far from a luxury hotel burst the price we paid, we wouldn't have expected that. We'd definitely return!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (621)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Here we go I went with my mum for 16 nights all inclusive both of us are disabled and 2 days later friends were joining us who had stayed 2 years before.

On arrival went to reception was told where our bungalow was on the first level right at the end C block number 148 the room looked clean there were some ants around but we had taken some deathlac with us after hearing about ants (dont like creepies) so we sprayed all the entrances and thought everything would be fine, the ants here are hardy little things we ended up getting the spray off the cleaners and doing a daily spray. so off we went on our scooters to dinner the restaurant was some way away food was fine there was always something you could find did get repetative couple of times we ate out just for something different.

The complex is really large and the resturant is no where near large enough to accommodate the amount of guests that were there having to stand and wait for a table. (there are 3 blocks of bungalows) each block has a pool the main pool where you got the drinks, snacks and nighttime entertainment for us was up 8 ramps and across 2 roads they say that the other bars open in may but when friends went before they never opened. Found out that there was a change of ownership last year. Considering this was the main easter holiday and indeed the place seemed full would have thought they could have opened other bars at the other pools in the daytime at least but no if you used the other pools you had to either have no drinks or take the long trek to the main bar. You could only get 2 drinks at a time at the bar day or night.

Now the staff the reception staff I felt were indifferent the bar staff were rushed as always a queue only 1 or 2 working at any time and as for the resturant staff all of them were downright RUDE pushing apart from 1 her name was Linda she was the only one that had a smile and a hello for everyone lovely lady.

Night time entertainment was a huge disappointment there are only 2 entertainment staff so the entertainment was mainly you doing the entertaining she was great with the kids though, we only went up there twice after seeing what the entertainment was.

Overall ok for a budget if you have mobility problems this is really not the place for you even with our scooters we struggled you can hire scooters there for 100 euros a week we always take our own travel ones with us.

There is a market on twice a week just down the hill a bit same stuff all the time Town is not far the China shop is great for bargains seems to sell everything. plenty of restaurants in the town a great deal at the Aberdeen steak house 9 euros for a 3 course meal ok not massive steaks but big enough for me.

Beach area is lovely and if you go to the right it gets even better lovely hotels up that side lol. great pathways we had a lovely ride on our scooters (almost didnt make it back as batteries started dying)

After the first night I had no sleep as the mattress was no good felt all the springs so day 2 went to tell reception was told there was no other rooms available but they would try to locate me a mattress hm. Could not sleep on the sofa either as when tried to sit on it it sank after me and my mother struggling to pull it out found that the frame was all busted so another trip to reception they sent a maintenance man who said would come next day and fix.

Day 3 went to reception to ask wheres my mattress found the manager who said they were waiting for a "Brand new mattress" for me and it was arriving the next day after asking him what I was supposed to do in the meantime got a shrug. Tried putting the sofa mattrss on top of the mattress but felt like i was rolling off the bed. Friends arrived they were in bungalow 155 first nioght their little girl got bit by ants in the bed.

Day 4 the ever elusive mattress still not here got an apology from the manager but apologies no good to no one when no bed to sleep on and got more shrugs with a maybe tomorrrow Sofa got hammered together. ants back lol

Day 5 yet again was told no mattress had arrived by this time lack of decent sleep I made sure everyone heard me in the reception lo and behold a hour or so later a mattress arrived not a "Brand new one" but at least it was a mattress. Also asked reception to treat the ants. eventually got a couple of cans of spray from the cleaners and did a daily spray ourselves. this was the end of our involvement with the reception staff until we were checking out.

Would I stay there again No only due to the staffs attitude and not being helpful at all and the distance between the restaurant and main bar if your on all inclusive

Room Tip: B block pool is lovely and quiet but if you want the bar then C block is supposedly the newest block
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2014

We were a but sceptical about staying at this hotel after reading some of the reviews, but all I can conclude is that some people just like to moan! The rooms were lovely and cleaned 4 times in the 7 days we were there.

The food was nice and there was always lots of choice. Its not the most exciting food in the world, but we always left feeling full and happy. There was wine and beer at lunch and dinner time and the service was excellent.

The pools were nice with plenty of loungers, but we went out of season, so this may be different at a different time of year.The pool bar was good and the drinks were nice. The other 2 pool bars weren't open when we went, but this wasn't a problem for us. The evening entertainment was average, but I imagine it picks up later in the season.

The beach was a 10-15 minute walk away, but it was a good route and nice to stroll. There is a lovely beach side path that goes for miles, and its brilliant to walk along.

Overall, we had a great time and it was excellent value for money. Don't read the bad reviews. If you want 5 star luxury, then you need to pay for it. But for the money we paid, I can't fault it!

1 Thank Charlotte R
Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

As a general overall view, this hotel is ok if you are on a budget and with a young family. However, we felt let down as the original advertisement advised numerous pool bars, bars and places to eat. The reality is there is one bar a pool bar that transforms into the main and only place for evening entertainment. There is only one food hall where food is ok I suppose. Breakfast was ok, lunch reasonable and evening meal id pass. Food is available from the pool bar during the day however that is just hot dogs and cheese and ham toasties. Hotel was clean, kids entertainment was a struggle and not the best. Will not be revisiting.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Caleta de Fuste hotels

Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We stayed here all inclusive for 2 weeks. This complex is huge so if you like walking this is the place to go, the restaurant is located next to reception which is quite a walk from the main pool area, the adult pool is located in front of the restaurant and has no bar so it's quite a walk to get drink when the restaurant is closed.

The staff work really hard but they don't have the facilities to provide a really good service. The restaurant regularly runs out of the most basic food, chips/salad so you either wait for it and your other food gets cold or do without.

The snack bar runs out of snacks and sandwiches most days too. There just doesn't seem to be enough food for the capacity of the complex. Drinks are fine, the local beer is good but the bar shuts at 11pm which is far to early. The bar is the main pool bar, it's only half enclosed so on a night if you don't get up there early for a seat at the front you freeze. I would hate to see this place during the summer at full capacity as there are not enough sun loungers out of season unless you get up early, the lifeguard does watch how long towels are left and if it's more than 2 hours he moves them for other people, which I think is really good.

There is no adult entertainment except bingo every few nights and the occasional jazz performer, the rest of the time it is children's entertainment followed by karaoke which is more children's entertainment with the odd adult getting up to sing.

The first two days I woke up with ants on my pillow, then the cleaner seemed to sort it out, the beds were made and clean towels every other day. The bath had a few rust marks on it and every toilet roll holder on the complex seems to be broken.

Renting any items i.e. hairdryer, safety deposit box is a rip off and there are no free wifi areas. There is a little bar located inside the red shopping center called the Bell pub which has free wifi if you buy a drink, drinks are cheap there and it's nice to get away from the children's entertainment. The local bars and shops are quite a walk if you want a night out.

If you want a cheap deal and aren't to fussy then this place is good value for money but I won't be returning or recommending it to anyone. This place has a lot of potential to be much better but at the moment I would say it is a decent 2* at best. Pay the little bit extra and go to a hotel more centrally located near the beach or go to the El Trebol in Lanzarote and give this a miss.

Room Tip: No tips as no matter where you are you're either to far from the pool or restaurant.
2 Thank sam08097
Surrey
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Great Holiday. My family and I stayed for a week before Easter and had a good time. The food was always fresh and there was a good choice for everyone. We found the holiday good value for money and were pleasantly surprised.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Low Cost Holidays

4 Thank Sally S
St Helens, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We had a great time and the kids loved it - age 2 and 13. I hadn't read reviews before booking, but did before I went and so was dreading it because the reviews were so bad. We saw none of the negative things mentioned when we were there at Easter.
Staff were great, kids entertainment was good and for all inclusive the food was good showing variation. I'm a fussy eater so expected chips every night but i found something I liked everyday.
I can't really fault the place other than more of the bars could of been open, but I think when it's summer they probably will be.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family