“no it isnt a 5* but thats ok...”

Geranios Suites & Spa Hotel
Ranked #7 of 23 Hotels in Caleta de Fuste
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
“no it isnt a 5* but thats ok...”
Reviewed 1 November 2011

our 2 week stay straddled end of sep/into oct so outside the 'school hols' period which meant the hotel was much quieter than it would be in the peak season. No it isnt a 5* (which it was meant to be when it 1st opened) but if u accept that (which we did & the price we paid reflected the downgrade) then its not bad at all.
The hotel itself is MASSIVE but barren - the manager when i talked to him said 'solvasa like the minimalist style' (ummm, couldnt help but think that meant 'strip out anything/everything that costs money to maintain').
& the rooms you stay in are HUGE - 2 entirely separate rooms - separate living area & ensuite bedrooms (beds themselves are HUGE as well) - both fully airconditioned & cleaned every day during our stay. Bathroom was very 'posh' with glass basins etc.
As i said the size of the hotel is HUGE - we had a 200yd walk along the corridor from reception to our room. Yes the hotel itself was / is need of some regular TLC (cobwebs & dust all over the HUGE plate glass outer walls) but that is prob due to it becoming an ALL INCLUSIVE hotel (us included in that) so owners solvasa may have cut back on 5* stuff to stay in business.
Food & drinks ALL day adequate - nothing special but always found something to eat. Evening bar did have 1 glaring & baffling fault - there was no OUTDOOR seating area to sit out & enjoy the warm nights. You had to stay indoors & slowly get overheated as the aircon was totally inadequate or you got bitten by the rather large number of mosquitos inside the bar area. We have never stayed anywhere in world that hasnt had an outdoor area.
For this reason we only used the evening bar twice during our entire stay preferring to sit outside next door at the nearest CHARGEABLE bar.
Staff were all good & did service with a smile - even the receptionists who had to apologise every day as the ADVERTISED 'free wifi' was 'down' for 1/2 our stay there - router had gone bang & had to wait for 'solvasa IT' to send & instal a new one (not whilst we were there).
All inclusive WAS tho an incredible saving as both drinks & food OUTSIDE the hotel was very expensive - in fact generally HIGHER than in UK - & that included even LOCAL drinks & food. We had a meal for 5 at a local restaurant 1 evening & paid €177 (ouch) - just 2 courses & drinks. The local 'english language' paper had a front page saying ALL INCLUSIVE was killing the bars & restaurant trade - well @ those prices normal families just cant afford to 'eat out' on a regular basis so that is why ALL INCL is fast becoming the preferred option for us tightening our belts brits !
Yes hotel IS right under flight path of airport & they fly right over your head every 15 mins during the day - but we soon get used to that & no night flights so you get a good nights sleep (rooms double glazed as well).
All in all we had a good stay - great weather too (which is what REALLY makes a hol after all)

Room Tip: Get on 3rd floor for best views of beautiful bay & near reception as the corridors are VERY long
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank g t

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (563)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Derry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2011

booked geranios as we were advised it was 5 star.. Honestly, it would merit 3 star at best. bleak appearance outside; prison/hospital appearance inside. No assistance with luggage on checking in...Had to carry cases to room. No kettle,No bath plug. On querying 5 star rating with Manager..He said" i can put 7 stars there if i wished.. Dining room only 25% occupancy at any time and i know why..Food choice extremely limited and often luke warm. Breakfast 8-10am.At 10 am sharp, Tea /coffee/ machines switched-off. Not a nice place.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank beyonce46
Bournemouth
Reviewed 8 October 2011

After reading some dreadful reviews, my wife and I were anxious about our stay, but needn't have worried. The staff were friendly and helpful. Our suite was clean and we had clean towels every day. There was a wide variation of meals available, the only down point being, there was no water with your meal and you had to buy a bottle each meal tiime. For a five star hotel, I would expect to be offered at least a glass of water with my meal, They even prevented you bringing your own . Apart frem this we had a very plesant stay,. The pools were clean and there were plenty of sunbeds available. All in all I would certainly recommend this hotel to my friends :)

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Rkancho
Darlington England
Reviewed 6 October 2011

On arrival at Lunch time mid September,after a long day travellling with my Wife,and 70 year old mother,and two babies,20 months and 8 months,looking forward to a warm welcome,hmm."dont think so".
The temp was approx 30 degrees,we were tired, babies were crying after a long journey,so we were expecting some assistance we our luggage,prams and cases"our survey says,it errrr!!" No Porter!! in such a highly rated hotel,what a joke!
Firstly, like the previous gentleman we choose this hotel to celebrate our wedding anniversay,Thomas cook,asked if we had any particular requirements or requests,and i promptly told them,maybe expecting a room upgrade or a bunch of flowers for my Wife,only to be told by very unfriendly,rude,reception staff member that if i want a different room, i should pay. I explained it was our W A,she basically didnt give a damn,and may as well have said " so what".
Anyway,loaded up off we went in search of our room,no porter,no assistance,only to find they had put my mum on the other side of the hotel.
We unpacked after eventually finding our rather spacious room,only to be told after 30 mins, that we were in the wrong room.My patience was wearing rather thin by this stage.We re packed our bags and off i went in search of the room,quietly thinking to myself," what the hell have i done bringing my family here"
I decided to turn these negatives around for the sake of my loved ones,and make the most of it.
The weather was very nice,apparently we were experiencing a late summer heatwave.
The food only average,not suitable for children,and very little choice.
The pool area was poor for a relatively new hotel,with lots of tiles missing around the baby pool,bit of a hazard, and danger of grazing.
I must admit ,the rooms were quite reasonable,and clean.
I imagined myself coming to a hotel like this some twenty years ago with my brother on a Lads budget holiday,not with my family.I had high expectations of this so called 5 star hotel,only to be dashed almost the minute we arrived!! I would rate it as a 3 star, just.
To conclude my disappointing report for the sake of others, i definately would not recommend this place at all!! There are other better hotels situated in this resort.After reflecting the price i paid for this holiday, i felt rather cheated. If after reading this you take a chance and go to the Genarios Aparthotels,please dont anticipate too much 5 star treatment!!

Room Tip: Dont bother with this Aparthotel!! No double beds,just two singles pushed together.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
7 Thank TednAl
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 September 2011

I let the wife book our honeymoon and she booked this hotel. I wasn't too fussed where we stayed as I'm pretty easy going, we both are. However I was very disappointed with this hotel on many levels.

When we were booking in we told them it was our honeymoon and even had our marriage certificate (as my wife was still registered under her maiden name). I asked if there was anything special they could do, maybe a room upgrade? I was told the room you paid for is the room you get. Bluntly just like that.

Ok moving on we went to our room to find none of the phones working (apart from the one in the toilet) and the room safe not working. I'll mention that we were on an all inclusive package, but the room mini bar was empty and the kitchen had no cleaning liquids. There wasn't even an iron in the room. I called reception from the toilet and the said they'd send someone up to fix the safe and phones. When he came some hours later, didnt speak a word of English, but he fixed the phones. He then got reception on the phone to tell us the safe was broken and they would let us use the reception safe, free of charge... like we'd actually pay anything for that privilege.

Apparently this was a spa hotel although there was no signs of a spa or any info on the spa treatments etc... very poor promotion of it and you'd think they were be pushing that feature (or even throw in a free spa treatment to newly weds).

The food was very nice and the staff working the restaurant were also very friendly and helpful, I cant fault them or the food. The food variations weren't very exciting, but quality and tast very good. The wine served in the restaurant was nice, but wine served in the bar area was vile!

Also they would not give you a bottle of water during breakfast, only from lunch time on which I thought odd. Bar opening times was also odd so if you think you're going to get free flowing alcohol all day long as you'd expect from an ALL inclusive deal you'd be very much mistaken. I recommend going full board and not wasting your time on all inclusive.

The beach outside the hotel is poor and there's huge rocks, but further down toward the Barcelo there's a decent beach, although in the other direction about 10mins walk brings you to the Sheraton Hotel which has a very nice beach.

Fortunately we spotted that a tour rep was coming to the hotel and we attended their sales pitch. We ended up doing an excursion everyday which took us out the area and all over the island.

My final word is, don't waste your time coming to this hotel or location, head down to the south in Jadia which has the 7th best beaches in the world and they are beautfiul honestly! Next time we go we're DEFINATELY going down there. Or the northern part of the island in Correco is very nice with huge sand dunes.

Room Tip: to choose a good room... book at another hotel
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank alex_00s
scotland
Reviewed 20 September 2011

Stayed at this hotel on room only.Right on the beach and about 200yards from good night life in one direction and plenty of shops cafes supermarket in the opposite direction.The pool and sun loungers were plentyful didn't use the spa so can't comment.Rooms were perfect for us,old but very clean and comfy large balcony.This is definately not 5* maybe a nice clean 3* and yes we will go again.Lovely walks along the waterfront and people are very nice

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank megb73
Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 September 2011

My and my husband have just returned from our honeymoon at the Geranios Suites. We really enjoyed our time there and would definately go back. We arrived late on a Tuesday night and when we got to our room we put the card in the electricity switch and the power blew so we couldn't see a thing. We went to reception and the lady was lovely, she got us another room straight away so this blip didn't bother us. Our room was absolutel lovely and very clean. We had a living room area, kitchen, bedroom and a really nice bathroom. We also had two sets of patio doors onto a really big balcony area that faced the pool. The patio doors were pretty sound proof so you could have a lie in without being woken up by people in the pool or the pool area music.

I am a really fussy eater and I managed to pick something every night apart from one night as we decided to go out. We were half board and normally even if we are half board we would go out and eat in restaurants but we didn't need to here. If I didn't like anything on the buffet there was a chef cooking either a meat or a fish to order and I never had a complaint.

The only bad thing I could comment on is the entertainment schedule. Nothing really took our fancy but the town is so close that we just went out after our meal.

The pool area is also really nice and the fact that the pool wasn't heated didn't bother us because the weather was so hot.

I would definately recommend this hotel and I would love to go back!

Rach

Broncemar Beach
#11 of 23 in Caleta de Fuste
3.5 of 5 bubbles 3,193 reviews
Occidental Jandia Playa

Been to Geranios Suites & Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!