“Not 5 star but clean friendly and on the beach” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Geranios Suites & Spa Hotel

Geranios Suites & Spa Hotel
Ranked #7 of 23 Hotels in Caleta de Fuste
cork
“Not 5 star but clean friendly and on the beach”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2013

The rooms are huge with great balconies and practically sound proof. The pool is sea water and gorgeous The staff are friendly and welcoming if a bit scatty! We had no utensils or kettle and gave up asking. We bought our own spoons and mugs and boiled water in a saucepan for the week. But they are very friendly and try . The rooms were cleaned everyday even if they sometimes left our doors wide open and lost their master keys twice which we found and returned. Its located on beautiful beaches and very close to the town. The nightly entertainment was nuts but we had fun. The food at the hotel was bad and really needs improving but plenty of wine and music. The pool lounger situation was a nightmare and cutthroat. Not enough chairs for all the guests and towels being put on chairs at night or even left there every day.Towels were thrown in the pool by other irate guests. We gave up and went to the very relaxing beaches. Also the horrible music blaring at the pool side made it not a relaxing place. But the spa was lovely and well worth a visit. Not a lot to improve to make it fantastic but if you don't take it too seriously and chill its a friendly spacious clean hotel in a great location and at great prices. I would return lowing my 5 star expectations and I would expect to have another very enjoyable holiday there.

Room Tip: Don't get a room on the ground floor as you will be practically sitting on the laps of the sun w...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Sinead K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (548)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Aberdare, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2013

We spent a week at the Genarios Suites in August 2013. We had a superior suite, which we were very happy with, it was spotlessly clean and large with a bedroom , living room, bathroom and small kitchen, no complaints there!

We were all inclusive, and thought that in general, the food was good to mediocre. I'm a fairly fussy eater but I could always find someting to eat. The breakfast was good.

The Pool areas were clean and there were two lovely salt water pools. There was a shortage of loungers and umbrellas. So my one complaint is that the hotel management did nothing to deal with the selfish guests who thought it was their god given right to leave their towels on the loungers all day (sometimes when they were not sitting on them for most of the day) and overnight, so others had no chance of having a lounger.I know that this complaint was passed on to the life guard at the pool, but nothing was done by the hotel to deal with this.

There are beaches near by where you can pay for loungers (£10 a day for two loungers and an umbrella), but I found that swimming in the sea poor ( the water was very cold and on the beach nearest to the Genarios, despite the lovely sandy beach, it was stony underfoot to get into the sea).

We found the staff at the hotel efficient and very plesant.

All in all we enjoyed and thought that it was good value for money. If we returned we would probably avoid August as it was very busy at this time.

Room Tip: We had room 389 which had a pool and sea view
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Suzanne J
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

I’ve holidayed in Fuerteventura for the past 20+ years (mainly in the Caleta De Fuste region) … although I haven’t been for the last 6 years so I was somewhat apprehensive (yet eager) to see if the island had changed for the better or worse (the later of which happened to Lanzorote – IMO it went downhill in its efforts to cater for the ‘low cost’ traveller). I’m really pleased to say however, things have certainly improved and any worries of the area becoming ‘chav central’ were unfounded. A number of new high quality hotels have been built in the area and it’s a clear a lot of investment (private and government) has been made to make this a quality resort. What you no longer have is half-finished hotels and apartments, which you did 6 years ago – the area really is complete.

Before I talk about the hotel, I just want to say for all those new to the island, a car is a must! I always stay in Caleta as it really is a peaceful haven with all you need to keep you entertained, located more or less in the middle of the island (on the coast) for easy traveling on what is a simple but excellent road network. I’d encourage everyone to hire a car and whilst using Caleta as a base, spend beach days in El Cotillo (BEAUTIFUL secluded beaches – only a 30 – 40 min drive from Caleta) or by the dunes on the approach into Corralejo, evenings in Corralejo (lots of new trendy seaside chill-out bars and cafes and restaurants), days out driving through the interior (Antigua, Pajara) and down to the beautiful postcard region of Jandia and ultimately Morro Jable. Caleta has a beach but it’s quite man-made and although nice, cant compare to all the others the island has to offer. There’s great nightlife in Caleta though, it’s safe, clean and great for families.

For this holiday (4th August 2013 – 18th August 2013) we actually put 1,400km on the hire car … and enjoyed every minute of it! (Use CICAR, get a nice Astra for approx. £300 for 2 weeks direct on their website before you leave).

Finally, prices have risen steeply and the only thing cheaper than home is beer! You’ll pay 2 – 3 Euro’s for most things that cost a pound or under here at home and most meals out (2+1) will set you back 20-30 Euro’s. For 2+1 self-catering I’d recommend circa 600 Euros for a 2-week stay, which will provide for evening meals and daily supermarket visits for food in the day, and/or the odd daily meal/snack. You could easily spend less (maybe 400), but likewise more (maybe 800). You’ll soon hunt out the best places although I have to say, the quality of food is extremely good … but it’s not exactly cuisine! I’d recommend self catering over all-in inclusive unless you come without children and/or like to drink a lot in the evening.

Now for the hotel …

I have to be honest, I’ve previously only stayed in low cost villas ‘on the hill’ in Caletta and this was the first time I’d ‘come down’ into Caleta and chosen a hotel (all be it self catering). Whereas up on the hill used to be the place to be, things have changed and it’s now the centre of Caleta that rules, with a host of new hotels, apartments and villa’s. If you’re used to staying ‘on the hill’ (i.e. accommodation on the west of the main road) then I don’t think you can really go wrong with most accommodation on the east side, as all are generally new. We chose the Geranious as the write up’s seem positive in the main and it was (FALSLY) advertised by ‘On-The-Beach’ as a 5-star hotel (which it is not, it is only 4-Star).

What’s bad about the hotel …

Well, the hotel was obviously designed to be what I’d describe as a ‘designer pad’ – with some excellent use of stone, wood and metal materials. This makes the whole hotel very ‘industrial’ looking which I like, but I can see others used to ‘posh hotels’ not being so keen. It was all very stark, minimalist, hard landscaped and what I’d describe as James Bond film villain hideout looking LOL. Some people have described how they felt the hotel felt understaffed and I can understand this point. We arrived at approx. 1pm but had to wait until 3pm for our room, the cleaning of the room was daily but the time varied and yes, one day we’d get a bundle of towels, one day just the one (???) It did feel like the hotel was being run on a shoestring; like a group of friends had got together to buy the place and were struggling to run it themselves. Hotel entertainment … forget it; although once a week there was craft fair and live musician who was SUPERB!

What would benefit the hotel is more colour and more greenery. There’s a large central atrium but the palms have been allowed to wither and die in places; with unoccupied retail units that have smashed mirrors whereby no one has bothered to sweep up the mess. A few pounds and a day’s work cleaning and tidying here an there would pay dividends … as would some nice planting around the hotel as it really is a fortress of stone and rusted metal (intentional in the design). Have to say though, the place did come alive at night as does the whole island. In the hot dusty day things do look a little shabby, but in the evening when its dark and mood lighting comes on and more people are about, the ambience of the place changes significantly.

Other things that let the hotel down included poor entertainment, an awful understaffed bar and wi-fi that was free in the reception area but I couldn’t get it to work on my iPad or iPhone. The hotel explained some people could get it, some couldn’t – my party being in the later camp; forcing us to MacDonald’s on the odd evening for free Wi-Fi (open till 12pm and actually quite a nice social scene!). That was disappointing then, along with the towels and a hotel that could be so much better for not much more money and a little effort.

We stayed in room 129, which was great as we could climb over our balcony onto one of three patio/pool areas. Warning … the stone gets HOT and WILL burn your feet! The pool was disappointing as it really did feel like 2-tonnes of salt and chlorine had been added – killed everyone’s eyes! The sun chairs and umbrellas were obviously years old and quite shoddy and my biggest bug bear; SELFISH people who would leave their towels on beds at night!!!!! I have no problem with putting a towel on a chair for 30 minutes; but to reserve all the best chairs and views from 1am … and not actually coming down to use until 11am, 12pm … sometimes 2pm … that’s just selfish and unfair to all those there and then wanting a lounger! I therefore took it upon myself to climb over my balcony each morning approx. 5am and throw all the towels off the loungers either into the pool or on an unused balcony!!!! Yes, that was me … and I have no qualms about this; due to the selfishness of others! As such, I think the hotel (all hotels in fact) should clear all loungers of towels every hour unless someone is actively using them!

OK, what was good about the hotel …

The rooms! The rooms were massive, VERY spacious and very clean … the best I’ve ever stayed in! Each room has a kitchen area with fridge, microwave (with grill), sink and new cutlery/plates/pots and pans. An oven would have been nice but I’ve never seen an oven in any room! Our room had a large double fold down sofa bed, lots of cupboard space, a main room with 2 large double beds, TV and best of all, Aircon in both rooms! Bathrooms were gorgeous, clean and great showers. I really couldn’t fault the rooms other than the towel situation whereby some days you got one for everyone, some days you didn’t (and only 1 one day – not good when there’s 3 of you and 3 towels have been taken out). The safe also locked us out in 3 occasions BUT it’s free to use and when faults did occur, we had maintenance sort the problem within 10 minutes each time!

Despite the negatives about exterior cleanliness (dust, dead plants etc.), I liked the design and layout of the hotel and its location can’t be faulted. Would I stay there again … 100% yes and I will soon! Maybe it wont suit those looking for 5-star quality and those used to spending thousands on a Sheraton style hotel; but for those who traditionally holiday in apartments/villas self catering; or anyone that’s ever stayed in Fuerteventura before, I think you’ll love it and easily forgive the odd niggle here and there.

I love Fuerteventura … book into this (low cost) hotel, get a car and hit those remote beaches!!! Check out my Face book site too for pictures – just search chadley underscore chad.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank chadley_chad
Burston, uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

We were worried after reading some of the trip advisor reviews prior to turning up.,the staff in this hotel were exceptional. The food choice for all inclusive was great, fresh salad, stews, pastas, grilled meat, grilled fish and kids meals. The kids disco every night was a hit with the kids. The kids club was popular with my daughter. The evening entertainment wasn't great, lets be honest, the hotel was big enough to avoid this is required. The pool bar was well stocked with drinks all day long, ice creams for the kids and never ending supply of water. Rooms where good, clean and linen changed regularly. My son lost a teddy near whilst there, this weekend the hotel posted it to us... Amazing, what service.. Thank you. Yes the hotel is a bit tired in places, but we will be back for sure. TOP TIP; get up early and pick your sun loungers.. The towel brigade are out at 7am marking territories ! make time to visit the zoo a great day out.

Room Tip: We had a pool and sea view, rooms appeared pretty generic, clean and adequate for an All Inclusive H...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank John N
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

Having previously worked within the travel industry for 20 years, I was very dubious about booking this hotel due to sooo many bad & negative reports about just about every facility it had on offer. However it had everything we wanted, resort, beach nearby, air conditioning, kids clubs, gym.

Yes the hotel is pretty dark but it's decor is all natural slate / stone floors etc. the rooms are great with plenty of room. We stayed self catering & had microwave 2 hob stove, fridge with freezer. We asked reception for a kettle & toaster & they were brought up with a smile.

In our party we had myself, my husband & our kids aged 3 & 7. The 2 girls who run the kids club speak limited English which did not cause any problems at all for the children. They did usual activities like, colouring, FacePainting, ball games, rock painting etc. (2 hours in the morning & 2 hours in afternoon)

It's a lovely 5/10 min walk to the commercial centre to the left of the hotel, and 15/20 walk to the right of hotel ( past the Sheraton) to the Atlantic shopping centre, here you will find a big spa supermarket.
We will deffinatly go here again. Hopefully for 3 weeks next year.

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank ScruffyLilCat
Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

My family and I have just got back from Fuerteventura having stayed at the Geranios Suites & Spa hotel for 1 week. We booked our holiday through on the beach, all-inclusive for 4 adults & 1 infant. We had booked 2 double rooms and requested a travel cot. From the moment we arrived we had problems. The hotel had no details of our booking, and it took over an hour to check in. The reception staff were rude, patronising, and unhelpful. Once we got to our rooms the air conditioning was leaking.

From the outside the hotel looks more like an office building than a hotel. Almost every day there was some maintenance going on in the reception area. There were also regular leaks in the reception area. Compared to the neighbouring hotels, this hotel was dark, cold and unwelcoming. If it was decorated more effectively and had more lighting and greenery, it would look & feel more welcoming.

One of the main reasons we booked this hotel was because it had a Spa. When my wife & I booked a day in the Spa, none of the steam rooms were working. The pool area fountains & the jacuzzi's were not working. The hotel did reduce the price but I would not class it as a Spa.

The rooms we had were of a good size, with one large double bed, a small lounge, tiny kitchen, with a good size bathroom & a terrace. The only downside was our rooms were not cleaned on time, and on occasions we were not given replacement towels. When we requested towels it took over an hour for them to arrive, which was a problem when you wanted to have a shower from having just been on the beach.

The food in the hotel was good. There was lots of choice. However, a lot of it was the same each day. There was not a lot in variety. They did have fish, but they did not tell you what type of fish it was. On a few occasions the meat and the fish were overcooked, and on one of the days the boiled potatoes had gone off. It did appear that they were using left over foof from previous days. The salad bar and the deserts were good.

There are 3 large swimming pools, which includes a kiddies pool. The pool area is a reasonable size. However, the pools were so salty, that everytime you went for a swim, your eyes would burn. It became easier just to swim in the ocean as the hotel is right on the beach.

We had booked a couple of excursions through the hotel. The problem was that the coaches did not pick you up from the hotel. We had to walk 15 mins to a nearby hotel to catch our excursion. Considering how much money we had spent on these excursions you would expect to be picked up from your hotel. We had requested pack lunches to be prepared by the hotel. We had told the reception we needed them at a specific time in the morning. On each occasion our pack lunches were not ready on time, which meant we were late for our excursions.

On our last night we decided to have a final drink in the bar. I ordered 4 coffees and 1 soft drink. The staff behind the bar started laughing at us, which we found extremely rude. When I asked her what was so funny, she said it was nothing, but continued to laugh. We felt like complaining but realised this was pointless.

We enjoyed our time in Fuerteventura, but if we had to do it again we would definately stay at a different hotel. The service at the hotel was awful. The staff were rude, patronising and not helpful at all. They could not follow simple instructions. When you questioned them, their response was they were to busy. I would urge any families thinking of staying at this hotel, not to. Look to one of the neighbouring hotels which are a lot better, more pleasant, welcoming, and more nicely decorated, along with much better service.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Paresh G
uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

We just got back from this place and the hotel alone would make me go back to Fuerteventura again.Rooms were cleaned everyday the food was very good and pool bar was well stocked. The only issue I had was witg the lady at the reception who was there in the morning's she had a very bad attitude and very unhelpful but this was compensated by the most helpful and amazing receptionist Fabiola she went above and beyond to help. Shes a great asset to this hotel who made our stay great! Thank you so much Fabiola!Overall great location for the nicer part of the beach and the shops/restaurants.

• Stayed July 2013
Broncemar Beach
#10 of 23 in Caleta de Fuste
3.5 of 5 bubbles 3,104 reviews
Occidental Jandia Playa

Been to Geranios Suites & Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!