“We'll be going back....”

Geranios Suites & Spa Hotel
Ranked #7 of 23 Hotels in Caleta de Fuste
Reviewed 13 December 2010

Was booked in last minute as agent had made a mistake with original booking. The reviews were not great, so was a little nervous travelling with my 18 month daughter.
Bad points: Self catering, but not a single saucepan - one call to reception - sorted!
Good points: Staff were all very helpful (reception, maintenance guys, maids) and could not do enough for us....
Rooms were clean and tidy, maids asked to return later a number of times (sleeping baby etc) and we were always met with a smile.
My wife managed to lose my passport - reception were wonderful - we only asked them for some phone numbers, but they made a load of calls for us!!
Many reviews are saying it was too quiet - I see that as a good point - peaceful and no problems getting a sun bed..... ;-)
Overall, probably not a 5 star but we had a thouroughly good time in a quality apartment that was great value!!
Can't comment on the bar/food as we spent most of our time out and about....
Seriously considering returning next year and getting a 2-bed villa at this place - we asked to take a look and someone took us there immediately, again, lots of smiles!!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank GavinMaidment
Write a ReviewReviews (2,642)

Reviewed 26 November 2010

We transferred to this hotel from a hotel from hell in the same resort. The rooms were very clean and nicely set out. The hotel itself was very quite as I understand it had just changed directorship and would soon be very busy. This hotel at this time was perfect for us as it was very quite and the children that were there were very well behaved. The places that you ate your meals moved at lunch time between the pool bar and the restaurant so you didn't quite know were to go. The meals were very good especially the meals you had from the menu's at lunch time but sometimes it was a buffet which was not as hot as we liked - but there was a microwave to heat it up more. The chef's were accommodating and would try to get you what you wanted and cooked from the range how you requested it. There were very few staff but they were all very polite. We understand that the hotel was quite but all staff had to multi task. My many problem was we went all inclusive and we drink dry wine - which they kept running out of it. Even when the waitress had informed the manager they only had cheap sweet wine which was disgusting (I wasn't the only one to complain)they did not get in enough stock. But I made do by taking my own wine to diner! This hotel catered for all B&B AI and Self catering as it had a fully equiped kitchen.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 November 2010

We arrived at our 5* luxury spa hotel looking forward to a girly five days of sun and pampering with a few sangrias thrown in! What we got was a nice room and HELL!!!
The room was nice but that was where the buck stopped, the food was constantly rolled out the same thing offered for breakfast lunch and dinner, probably not even being put away judging by the look of it! The place was like a mausoleum with about 15 guests and the same couple of staff members doing all of the jobs. We could never get a drink when we wanted one at the pool bar, having to ring reception for someone to be sent to serve us.
Of the three ladies toilets only 1 was available for use and it was covered in excrement, we had to resort to using the men's which was moderately better, but when in need!
The staff were generally obnoxious with the exception of the delightful Hilda and Juan, who do not deserve to be tarred with the same brush as the rest of the atrocities we encountered.
The few other guests in the hotel were all of the same opinion as us. We however decided to move after our first night and thankfully first thing on our third day we were relocated to the far superior (although not according to star rating) Barcelo Thalasso Spa Hotel.
Do not stay at the Geranios even if you have a man with a gun to you head!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 August 2010

upon reading the reviews for this hotel, i nearly cancelled. thank god i didn't. this hotel is amazing rooms very spacious very clean, the pool area is clean, it does state that the pools are fresh water but infact are salt water which didn't bother us i travelled with young children aged 8 and 5 and they loved it the animation team (one man) worked so hard to keep everyone happy and was brill with the kids and worked very long hours, the entertainment was good to mention a few we had magic shows and bird of prey shows besides the disco's. we stayed self catering so we can't comment on the food but wished we had because we are thinking of going back for christmas. we went to the oasis park which we all enjoyed only cost 56 euro's(free bus from barcelo fuerteventura) not very good if you have walking difficulties but the shows are fantastic will definetly go back to this hotel staff are so helpful and friendly and some really nice bars in the town. beach cafe and park just outside the hotel staff also very friendly

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank roopie73
Reviewed 20 May 2010

Just returned from a last minute booking for one week at this hotel - after seeing some of the previous reviews I was a little wary, however, the hotel was great. OK, it was quite, but my friends and I loved that - the pool all to ourselves most days, no noisy kids and annoying adults - plenty of room just to chill and relax in total privacy - the pool area was not on show to the public walking by like many hotel pools are. The chef was great and went out of his way to make sure that my vegetarian tastes were catered for - plenty of fresh salad and a number of hot choices for dinner. We all loved the food - with a smaller number of people in the hotel you are not going to have a gigantic buffet - that would be a total waste, but my friends and I certainly had enough choice. The rooms were spotless like the rest of the hotel and totally relaxing - all in all we foiund the hotel very good.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank lynch1
Reviewed 26 April 2010

We were boarded here by Thomas Cook as a result of Iceland's Volcanic eruption..... what is it with Iceland eh? Cod wars, Bjork, millions lost by their crazy banking system and then they erupt a volcano just when we want to fly home!

I digress; back to Geranious Suites. It looks like a hotel that was designed by an architect on speed - wierd colours, dark tunnels, too much steel and slate.

The pity is, it obviously cost a fortune with high quality fittings in the apartments, but it just doesn't work. If it hadn't been for stranded passengers, the place would have been all but deserted and this is the main problem. Because their are no guests, there are few staff and very few facilities - no pool bar, sunbeds in need of repair, no satellite TV and, a first for a 5 star in my experience, you have to pay 20 euros deposit for the remote control!

The reception staff were very friendly, but appeared demotivated.... who could blame them?

We were grateful to Thomas Cook for making sure we had a room and food whilst we were delayed but I would have been very, very disappointed if we had paid for our stay.

I am unable to comment on the food as, having listened to other guests, we decided to eat out.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SteveRiley
Reviewed 11 April 2010

Never before have I been so disappointed with a hotel. We visited this hotel for a week over the Easter holidays in April 2009, in what we thought would be a busy time – my wife, myself and two children 5 and 7.

This hotel is not 5 * standard under any stretch of the imagination. It is more like 2 *. Marketing boasts a huge range of facilities but most fall short of reasonable expectations in my opinion.

Despite having booked two bedrooms we were originally offered a room with a king size bed and a sofa bed in the lounge. The room stank of smoke which is curious since I have read that rooms are non-smoking. Luckily I had the original invoice that clearly stated we had booked two bedrooms. We were eventually moved, after a one hour wait in the lobby, to a two bed ‘villa’ (like a two storey town house integrated into the main accommodation, just spread over two floors), which had a private plunge pool. There are only 8 villas, and it seemed only one other was fully operating. The pools for the villas either side of us had only 18 inches of water in them which had turned a lovely dark green. The children’s room had two small windows and a skylight – no curtains and no means of keeping the light out in the morning – so no lye ins! Beds are hard as hell.

The hotel appeared deserted – we only saw 5 other couples/families during our stay – all on separate days and no more than two at breakfast (It came out in subsequent court evidence that there was a total of eight bookings in residence during our stay! - that about sums it up). Breakfast was minimal, with fresh pancakes and omelette to order, rolls, and a couple of plates of fruit, salami, cheese and some fried vegetables. Road Chef gives better options.

We were only glad we didn’t choose the half board option!

The pools are completely unheated (freezing is a better description), including the villa plunge pool. If you think your children will last more than 2 minutes then you will be disappointed - our kids love pools, but we couldn’t persuade them to spend any longer than this.

The poolside was littered with debris and bits of broken and crumbling block paving – it was dangerous for the children, and my little boy grazed one foot badly. This debris had also ended up in the pools, especially by the steps and the pools looked they hadn’t been cleaned since the start of the year. To be honest this was disgraceful. Hotel official line was that "some debris will be carried into the pool area due to the strong winds coming in off the coast".

There were plenty of sunbeds – approx 150 – I made my five year old count them since there was nothing else for him to do after his 2 minutes in the pool. As we were the only ones by the pool we didn’t have to worry about where to sit – just what we trod on. The pool bar was closed, and the music speakers were covered up – this added to the desolation.

The hotel was clearly designed to benefit from natural light and so has strange areas which serve as light shafts. But the design reminded me of a prison – it is cold, creepy and depressing. The use of natural materials simply doesn’t seem to work very well.

Hotel advertised Spa and Gym and indoor heated pool. To use the Spa or the indoor pool you incur a charge €15 – and kids can’t go in. There is a gym, but I use the word loosely. A treadmill, a rower, a step-machine, three bikes and a weights machine (basically a squat rack). The weight machine was broken and the treadmill behaved so erratically after 10 minutes that it became dangerous – clearly the equipment wasn’t regularly maintained).

There was a bar – but it too was deserted.

Marketing advertises satellite TV – but they turn off the UK channels (BBCNews24) and I had to phone up every day to get reception to turn it on – why keep turning it off? When they put it on (Channel 2) you could see the full range of sky channels available as they selected the right one. It would have been very easy to have a far greater range of channels including some kids ones in various languages.

Both my wife and I have travelled quite a lot, all over the world, and stayed in all sorts and standards of accommodation. Neither of us had ever come across anything like this before. And for the several thousand pounds we paid it certainly wasn’t value for money.

I would never go back. I simply can’t understand why the hotel has a number of good reviews in the past.

My recommendation would be to go to the Barcelo or the Sheraton, although the latter is quite pricey. Both appeared busy with plenty of guests enjoying themselves.

On a positive note the rooms are basically spacious and clean with good quality marble tiling in the bathrooms. There is a room safe in the wardrobe which I would recommend using. The hotel manager was very welcoming and the majority of the staff were very pleasant and helpful. The airport is only 15mins away and you can walk to bars and restaurants within 5 to 10 minutes. The two squash courts are glass and look very nice. I guess you have to pay, and you will probably have to take a friend because finding anyone at the hotel will be a challenge.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
Hotel Elba Carlota
Hotel Elba Carlota
#6 of 27 in Antigua
Occidental Jandia Playa

Been to Geranios Suites & Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!