“Absolute fabulous stay!”

Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Caleta de Fuste
Houthalen, Belgium
“Absolute fabulous stay!”
Reviewed 12 February 2012

I stayed here for 10 days with my wife in September 2011. There are hardly any negative things to say about this hotel.

We informed the hotel that this would be our honeymoon when we booked and boy did they remember :)

Upon arriving in the magnificent main lobby we were greeted by the very nice people behind the main desk. They remembered our names and promptly upgraded us to a junior suite. I don't know what the "normal" rooms look like; but holy cow the junior suite was awesome. The bathroom has his and hers sinks, a walk in closet, a jacuzzi, shower and toilet (and bidet, but seriously... does anyone ever use one of those?:)). The room itself is VERY spacious. The bed is even bigger than a king size bed in any other American hotel I think. There's a desk, a table with 4 chairs, a couch and a recliner. The room has a big balcony with 2 lounge chairs, a little table and 2 normal chairs. The TV in the room is on a swiveling platform, so you can watch TV where ever you are in the room.

When we returned to our room on the first night, we found a bottle of cava, 2 glasses and a plate of strawberries dipped in chocolate waiting for us... Thank you very mycgh

We ate breakfast every day in the hotel and I think I ate something different every day. As far as I could tell, the food was fresh and there was always plenty. There are even a couple bottles of cava if you want a bubbly breakfast :)

We ate 3 times in La Veranda for lunch and tried both the themed restaurants. I've read a lot of reviews here in Tripadvisor about the ridiculously high price in these restaurants, but I honestly don't agree. 13 euro for a lunch dish isn't a lot of money I think. Yes, you can find something for 9 euro when you go to the center of Calete de Fuste, but the quality of the food is nowhere near as good as in the Sheraton. The waiters in the restaurants were always extremely nice and went out of their way to make sure we had everything we wanted. Especially Jose, who always worked the night shift in the themed restaurants was the best waiter we've ever had. He was very friendly, catered to our every need, did his best to explain every dish and even brought us 2 glasses of cava (or champagne, I couldn't tell) the first night.

The pool area was always clean and there were plenty of lounge chairs available. We ordered pina coladas almost every day and the guys and girls behind the bar always brought it right to our chairs. There are 2 sweet water and heated pools and 1 non heated salt water pool. There's a separate kiddie pool which all the parents used and all kids seemed to enjoy.

There's a put-put course, soccer and and basketball court on the property but we were too lazy to try these out.

About the smell... yes we noticed the smell too. But somehow I doubt it's coming from the hotel area. We also smelled the same sewer smell outside the hotel when walking to the center of Calete de Fuste along the beach. It could be the Sheraton, but I'm not sure. And it wasn't like it smelled like we were sitting next to an open sewer. It was noticable but only for brief periods of time.

The hotel, just like every other hotel here, is in the approach path of the airport. So yes, you can see and hear planes landing a couple of times every day. But we didn't hear anything at night or in the early morning, so it wasn't all that bad.

If you're staying here, make the trip down to the little harbor and check out the guys from Deep Blue Diving. I did my open water course there (also reviewed it here on Tripadvisor) and it was a blast.

This has been one of the absolute best hotels we've every stayed in and I recommend every in Fuerteventura to stay here.

Oh, and we partied with Sasha Baron Cohen and Ben Kingsley because they stayed here during the shoot of The Dictator. They had a wrapping party at La Veranda and allowed everyone in, so +1 for the crew and The Sheraton :)

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank nielsVaes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (594)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Somerset England
Reviewed 9 February 2012

My wife and I had a great week at this place, I cannot add much to the previous good reviews of this hotel except to agree with them. I stayed there from the 1st to 8th of February 2012. The weather was good and the heated and cold pools useable during this time.

One good thing about going there in term time is the obvious lack of school children and plenty of room in the restaurants and pool area, never a wait of more that a minute for a lift. Ample sunbathing beds and space.

There were quite a lot of retired people and many some couples with pre-school children, the only drawback on that was the massive prams 'Chelsea combine harvesters.' They tend to block the whole lift. One young chap obviously off to hire a car was carrying a child's car seat that was of the size of a jump jet ejector seat; Young fathers are much better than was my generation, they seem to have emmense patience.

Points
Car hire at EU 30 and petrol at 1EU per liter was worth it.
Trips out to places like Morro Gabel was good value.
When eating out be careful, the cooking is not always good, local Spanish food is better.
If the restaurant is empty of customers, avoid it! the food is bad!
I recommend the 'Steakhouse' in Castillo for an excellent steak. I had one of the best steaks of my life here!

Some rooms at the hotel have sunlight on the varanda all day from 0800 until about 7pm, others have no sun all day. I was allocated one of the dark rooms but asked, and it was changed without question. Ask for a south facing room, unless you ask, you won't have one.

Breakfast at the hotel is first class. They cater for all, French, German, English, Dutch etc so the very good choice is good and vast.

The piano bar at evenings is a great 'unwind' before retiring, it is a bit Karioki? but pleasant.

The hotel staff are extremly kind, well trained and professional, I think the best staff that I have experienced in my travels worldwide.

I will definitely go back to this hotel.

Haydn Davies

Room Tip: ask for a south facing room if you like the sun on your varanda
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Haydndavies
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Just returned from a 7 day stay on a B & B basis. Hotel is very nice & staff quite helpful, location is isolated & little in the immediate area apart from other hotels & a shopping centre.
A short taxi ride away, costing Euro 3/4 approx, is Caleta del Fuesta which has a reasonable number of eating places, all of a relatively moderate standard but so are the prices.
Room was spacious, well appointed & clean but standard of decor & furnishings were dated. Pool area was excellent, well maintained & clean.
A disappointment was the SPA advertised on the web site & in the advertising material which looked lovely however it turned out to cost Euro 20pp per day to use. This would have been an additional E280 in our case which in terms of the overall cost of a holiday in Jan is significent. On days when the weather was dull it would have been a nice alternative but not an option as we assumed when booking that it was included in the price.

Room Tip: We were in a room in the 300`s which got good late afternoon / evening sun. Many of the rooms &...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KilteelUtd
italy
Reviewed 29 January 2012

Sheraton Fuerteventura is surely one of the best choice in Fuerteventura aiming at an high standard, without compromises. Considering the decent weather also during the winter time it makes suitable a trip to Fuerteventura with a chance to experience a luxury environment at a good price. The huge orange structure with all amenities (various swimming pools, SPA, restaurants, beach, golf and a wonderful tropical garden) and the expected level of service offer an absolute correct value for money. The rooms are particularly impressive, very wide, well furnished and with a huge bathroom. All rooms have a balcony overlooking the lovely external pools and the beach.
Considering the standard I found some constraints. Firstly there is not a free wifi but internet is charged daily. Despite the cost during my stay of 4 days it never worked in an acceptable way.
This is not nice but at the end the hotel staff recognized the problem and keep out the charge of internet by the final account. Secondly the hotel claims to offer an internal swimming pool but the very nice small pool is part of a SPA charged also to the guest.
So if the weather is not nice you have to pay to use the external pool. Anyway the SPA is very nice. Just it should be useful to be informed about the extra cost before booking.
Coming to the good things I found an outstanding level of breakfast and in general the level of restaurants is high despite the prices higher than the common prices around.
The position of hotel is perfect, just 1 KM out of the touristic resort village Caleta de Fuste, close to a small beach and to a pleasant mall.
At the end if you are searching for a top level Hotel in Fuerteventura Sheraton is ok, but despite the low season price we continue to ask something more. Considering my recent experiences I have to say that many hotels underestimate the need to supply a perfect use of internet (better if free) that also during the holiday has become an essential tool for many guests.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank lionitaly
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 January 2012

This was our second visit to this Sheraton in early Jan with our 3-year old and we recognised several other couples from the year previous - it's a hotel that gets lots of repeat custom - especially among families with young children and it's not hard to see why: heated pools and children's pool; playground; brilliantly ran kids club - ; mini disco with dance meister extrordinaire, Alex. It's also right next to the beach.
My parents also came with us this time and they particularly enjoyed the exercise programme run by the energetic Tom who gave guests the chance to try everything from aquarobics to archery and tennis - all free of charge. My favourite was the mid morning Pilates on the beach. The gym is very good too, although there was so much to do we didn't have time to try out the spa.
We stayed half board and found the food to be of a very high standard - there was something for everyone. It would be expensive if it wasn't inclusive though. The rooms were big, cleaned and resupplied regularly and came with a generous balcony area.
It's a big hotel and I'd advise sun-lovers thinking of booking to request a room that gets the sun on their balcony. There are lots of shady areas landscaped by trees and the rooms around the sides of the hotel do not get so much sun.
In short we had a brilliant holiday here and seeing our daughter dancing to 'Chu Chu Wah Wah Wah' in the Tenerife Suite every evening gave us reason enough to want to come back next year for more.

Room Tip: It's a popular hotel and fills up quickly - a couple of days before your holiday call up recepti...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank Ann-Marie C
Highlands
Reviewed 22 January 2012

We had a great holiday in this hotel a few weeks ago. Very well layed out, great rooms and very clean. The food was fantastic and the staff very friendly. There is some entertainment and also a well run Children's club. The animation team is not as present as in other resorts we have stayed in but we did not really mind. The heated pool is lovely and warm for the winter month and the beach in front of the hotel is lovely. The main resort is just a 10-15min walk along the beach front away. Would go there again no doubt at all. The spa is also fantastic.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank have_fun00
Lechlade, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 January 2012

We stayed for our third time just after New Year for a week with our two young girls and had an excellent time. The rooms are fantastic - clean, spacious and luxurious, the service and food are very good too. All of the staff are helpful and friendly. What we particularly like is that the pools are heated and very clean. With the children's playground, the great mini-disco and kids pool, our children couldn't have been happier, which made for a very happy and stress-free holiday for us! We'll be back!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
#2 of 23 in Caleta de Fuste
Hotel Elba Palace Golf
Hotel Elba Palace Golf
#1 of 23 in Caleta de Fuste

Been to Sheraton Fuerteventura Beach, Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!