“You've been to the rest now try the best”

Sheraton Fuerteventura Beach, Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Caleta de Fuste
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Stayed from the 21/12 to 1/01
An exceptionally managed hotel with exceptionally helpful front desk staff. Excellent food with beautiful themed evenings. Deluxe rooms to die for. Most certainly 5 star standard. You tried the rest now come to the best. Well done Sheraton

Room Tip: Deluxe room
2  Thank Dappy1980
SHERATONFUER, Director General at Sheraton Fuerteventura Beach, Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2014

Dear ‘Dappy1980’,

Thank you for letting us know how enjoyable your stay with us was. I’m happy to learn that my team did everything possible to make you feel welcome and special.

Juan Manuel Galán

Write a ReviewReviews (3,491)

Reviewed 1 January 2014

What a complete letdown. Location in middle of nowhere directly below landing flight-path all day long.
Necessary to walk at least 1-1/2 miles to nearest shops and restaurants other than a mediocer shopping mall situated along the road.

Close to beach, but very hazardous walk around to port.

Definitely devoted to families with children, even to the extent of prams and toddlers allowed in the bar areas after 10 o'clock at night. .

We found the excessive smoking everywhere very discouraging. Even at breakfast. The hot food buffet breakfast was never hot and the plates stone cold.

We had no television or phone for 3 days.

Room Tip: Garden rooms very dark. Upper floors with balcony would be much better.
1  Thank eliza035

Dear client,

I’m sorry to see that your holiday with us turned out to be so negative and not the relaxed thing you were hoping for. We cater for many types of guests, families included. We try to provide the same treatment and comfort to everybody but sometimes, especially with full occupancy, this can’t be achieved.
Smoking is permitted only in the back part of the terrace which is about 5% of the whole restaurant. If you inform the F&B staff, I’m sure they’ll be happy to change you to another table.
Couple of weeks ago the local telecommunications company experienced a problem which caused that some rooms couldn’t use phone for 2 days. I wish to deeply apologize for this inconvenience.
We didn’t experienced any problem with televisions and we are sorry that you didn’t inform the Front Desk, since the TV services can be fixed on the property and within 15 minutes, as per Sheraton standard.

Best regards,

Reviewed 31 December 2013

Could not fault this hotel clean friendly staff beautiful rooms lovely location food excellent would love to go back soon can highly recommend this hotel but always ask for a high floor room we started off in garden room but complained and asked to be upgraded and had a fab room excellent service just be careful if you book with Thomas cook they only offer Garden rooms

• Stayed: November 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking your valuable time for commenting on your very recent holiday experience. I’m pleased to see that we achieved to create a nice vacation for you and that everything met your expectations.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

We stayed here on the 18th/19th December 2013. Fabulous complex, immaculate and clean throughout, generous sized rooms with stylish decor. Friendly and helpful staff. Breakfast had plenty of choice and good quality. Very reasonably priced and excellent value for money. Would definitely go back again :-)

2  Thank Michelle A

Dear Michelle,

First of all I would like to thank you for choosing our resort for your holiday. It’s always a pleasure to know that you had a nice time among us and that we could be part of your holiday memories which will last a long time.

Reviewed 29 December 2013

I have just returned from this hotel after spending our family Christmas holiday there for 2 weeks. This was our 4th visit and we just love going back. It's great to see the same familiar faces of the hard working staff, from front desk, dining staff and childrens club team. Everyone of of them try to make you feel welcome and Juan Manuel the hotel manager does a great job in running the hotel and involving himself with the staff. We were given a room overlooking the garden this time, a deluxe room inter-connecting with a great sea view. The facilities of the hotel are excellent from the spa and pool areas to the kids club. The hotel go out of their way to make the kids feel welcome. This was our first Christmas abroad and I couldn't find a better place to spend it than the Sheraton. Santa was on hand on Christmas evening to give a small gift to the children and there was plenty of things organised for them if they wanted to take part. The weather over the 14 days was very good with a few windy and cloudy days but mostly good. Regarding the wifi there is now an outside company contracted to look after it. There is a small charge but worth paying as it's a big improvement on last years service. I also must comment the on the choice of food which I think has improved from last year. One last word must go to the restaurant staff who made the Christmas Gala meal a night to remember. They worked very hard on the presentation, the choice of food was incredible from lobster, dressed crab, stuffed turkey etc the hardest decision was what to pick. Well done Sheraton and I look forward to my visit next year.

Room Tip: From down at the swimming pools looking up to the right. Theses rooms get the sun most of the day
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Petertoto

Dear Petertoto,

First of all I would like to thank you for keeping coming back for your Christmas holidays. It’s always a pleasure to have you with us. Thank you for your lovely comments, especially those concerning the team. I’m very fortunate to work with a group of hard-working professionals, who take pride in their work and go the extra mile to make your stay special. It’s not always easy particularly when the hotel is fully booked but I’m really pleased to see that we satisfied your needs and wishes.

Reviewed 29 December 2013

We are a family of 4 returning from a 1 week holiday to this resort. Generally if the children have a good time and are happy then the holiday is successful!

The kids aged 2 & 5 had a great time but I have some reservations about the hotel that in the early part of the holiday really discouraged me. I expected more from a 5 star branded hotel such as as Sheraton.

"the true 5 star nature of a hotel is only revealed when a dis-satisfied customer is totally satsfied by the response or treatment by the hotel"- its very easy to get things right if nothing goes wrong- but when the hotel deals with problems swiftly and effectively, this is a true reflection of 5 star quality.

The hotel is physically 5 star with really beautiful facilities and grounds. Its pool & lounging area is probably twice the size of the hotels next door and is very spacious. Unfortunately the plastic loungers are really tacky and usually broken (or if you sit in the middle it pops out). The umbrella does not move either so as the sun moves in the day you have to move your lounger!

The pools are also lovely to look at and indeed this is what most people did (most adults) . The large pool was freezing cold and the 2 other pools were "heated"but still uncomfortable. It is a shame they did not increase the temperature to encourage more people to swim, as it adds atmosphere. The 2nd half of the holiday saw lots of people just sitting on loungers outside the pool with hardly any adults going in.

The rooms are enormous with a huge bathroom and balcony.They are very modern with LCD TVs that have USB ports so I have brought my hard drive to watch movies or kids programs (as there is not much english tv). The cupboard space is excellent and so is the rain shower. Unfortunately the beds are guaranteed to damage your back and such poor quality that you will have a rough sleep. The pillows are even worse and after the first night we all had severe neck aches and had to request 4 new pillows instead to double up.

I have read other reviews who complained about poor maintenance in the hotel- it is totally true. The day I arrived the sinks were not draining water ie there was a block The Balcony railing was WOBBLY (being on 4th floor with 2 kids this was NOT SAFE). I rang 2 times the first evening and each time the reception said "we are on our way shortly". They made me wait each time and no one came. Next morning I rang again, same story " we are coming in 5 minutes"..45 minutes later I called again and waiting on the phone till they came. They claimed the balocony was secure and fixed the sink, and also the fan was fixed.

My preference was for a lower floor room as this 4th floor wobbly balcony really caused me some concern. I had asked reception at check in for a lower room but they insisted I try that room first. It is much harder to change room after the first day since you begin to unpack and settle down. This was dis-appointing as the hotel appeared not to be fully occupied on 18 Dec so we could have been easily accomodated (rather than being told to try next day).

Another review also complained about reception staff talking amongst themselves whilst with customers. This is very true and on more than 1 occasion the reception walked off without notice or started talking to other staff before finishing with me.

The kids pool is very nice and nearby the beach access is excellent so you get instant access to the beach. The Yambaland kids clubs facility is also amazing. I do feel that the animation staff whilst very good at thier work, there isnt much activity in the day . For example usually (in other resorts) the animation team go around the entire pool area inviting guests to table tennis or basket ball but I do not recall this ever happening here. There needs to be something on the hour every hour many activities per day including for adults as this creates a friendly atmosphere.

The pool bar is VERY EXPENSIVE. A burger will set you back €14, tomato sauce pasta €12 and pizza €11 (plus taxes). As a comparision the hotel next door was LESS than half price for some of the items mentioned. At dinner, a small coke 200ml (about 3 sips) was €3.50 so 2 soft drinks would cost €7. Potentially with 2 tiny soft drinks each I was having to potentialy spent close to €30 which I felt was not reasonable.

I can confirm that the food at breakfast and dinner was excellent choice and taste. Most staff were also very friendly and happy to smile whilst serving. It was unusual why every table was never set for the right number of cutlery item and every meal I was chasing for a spoon or napkin. The table cloth lay was also at time a bit shabby and I dont mean to be picky but it doesnt look very 5 star if you know what I mean

For the first 5 days there was NO entertainment in the night (other than piano or a singer). Most 3star Plus hotels have some evening show. Only on day 6 & 7 once the hotel was at 70% they had some entertainment. The hotel prides itself being a 5 star hotel and therefore the entertainment needs to be consistently 5 star through the entire time not just when it is high occupancy.

My kids love mini disco. The timing was very unusual at 530 pm for half hour. This means when it finishes you have to wait till 630 for dinner or go back to your room and come back later, it was a very awkward time. On one occasion they replaced mini disco with the parrot show, which started 15 minutes late, lasted for a mere 12-15 minutes after which they tried to sell photos. On the 4th day the mini disco stopped working after 10 minutes and they had no backup activity for the kids. From day 5 they started mini disco at 7pm to 8pm. This was very awkward time as dinner opens at 630, so half an hour is not enough time to feed a family of 4. Also, dinner after 8 is very late for young kids. Reception told me to feed the kids at 630 and then go back after 8 for the adults- this was really a bad suggestion (as this is a family holiday) but it turned out to be the only way to attend mini disco- so we would eat 2 courses before & 1 after. What else to do- THE KIDS LOVE MINI DISCO!!

The also dont tell you at reception when you arrive that the timetable for activities, restaurants, etc changes once a week so I went around with an old timeables not knowing any better. It is very important to have a good check in at the hotel when you arrive or maybe an information pack.

It was at this stage very disappoininting (after the mini disco was cancelled on day 4) service overall and I made an informal complaint to the hotel. They called a front desk manager who listened to all my concerns. Nothing was done that I am aware of ie I did not get any folllow up feedback.

Things picked up and improved as the days progressed and the hotel filled up, so did the weather. I think at the right price this hotel is worth visiting. I would encourage the management to take steps to address some of the concerns raised to making this hotel a better place for all customers.

Room Tip: be near the lift (or be prepared for a long walk)and on a lower floor
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank RaviDoshi

Dear client,

Thank you for taking your time to comment in such a detail about your recent holiday. First of all I wish to apologize for the way how your concern regarding the balcony railing was handled. This is not our usual standard and I deeply apologize. We must have given you a bad impression from the very first beginning. However I can assure you that our balconies are safe, maintained regularly by our team and checked on regular basis by the tour operators and H&S inspectors. With regard to our activities, we do have time table for sports program for adults and kids. This I hope has been handed to you upon your arrival. It’s true that we do not go around the hotel inviting guest to participate as it may be usual in some holiday all-inclusive resorts. We provide our clients with the information but do not want to be intrusive or convincing somebody who’s here to relax. However your review gives another point of view, which we respect and learn from. With regard to the minidisco, from your own experience you can see, that a hotel of this size can’t honour all wishes. If it’s too early, there are always guests who prefers it later and this works the other way round, too. We must find a consensus and accommodate all of you.

I hope that despite the rest of the negatives you pointed out, you did enjoy your holiday and Fuerteventura.

Best regards,

Reviewed 29 December 2013

Our first time in Fuerteventura and we choose this hotel since we wanted to be on the beach and also play golf. Beach is lovely and a free bus from hotel to golf course. If you miss the golf bus the taxi ride is 5 Eur.
Our garden room was fine, spacious with a large terrass. We had half-board and the bufé was ok. It was a good variety and every evening had a culinary theme.
Weather was grea all week: sunny and calm.
Staff very friendly and helpfull.
Plenty of sunbeds so whatever time you came down to pool area there were plenty of sunbads available.
We stayed over X-mas and found the Thomas Cook offer (including flights from Gatwick, Sheraton hotel, half-board, transfer) good value for money!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank TheNomisFamily

Dear ‘TheNomisFamily’,

Thank you for your feedback and holiday impressions. We appreciate the time you dedicated to comment it. I’m delighted that you have spent an enjoyable time at Fuerteventura and hopefully we’ll see you in the future.

Kind regards,

Avanti Hotel Boutique Fuerteventura
Hotel Elba Palace Golf
Hotel Elba Palace Golf
#1 of 23 in Caleta de Fuste

Been to Sheraton Fuerteventura Beach, Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!