“Family holiday”

Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Caleta de Fuste
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
“Family holiday”
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Our first family holiday, grandparents, son and partner and son, wife and 2 children ages 2.5 and 9 months. Facilities suited us all, the kids loved the pool and the older ones joined in on all the activities run by Marco who did well to get people involved, and the golf suited Grand Dad! We have 2 family suites and on deluxe room which were very nice, but if you want the sun on your balcony at this time of year then request a room on the left side looking out to sea, we were in room 363 and as my son had to spend a bit of time in the room with his children I think they would have welcomed some warmth and sunshine. Also we would have benefited from connecting rooms to make it easier for sleeping children. Pillows were not very comfortable.
We were on half board and we found the food to be very good and varied each night, the staff were very attentive and very good with the children, the plates could be warmer as your food does get cold quickly and also we had to ask for hotter coffee in the morning. Also more than 1 microwave is needed. It would be good if you could have the half board option at lunch time especially for the children as they really were too tired by 6.30 to eat anything and often did not go for evening meal. This would also limit the number of children in the restaurant in the evening and make for a better experience for those on holiday without children.
It was disappointing that the spa entry is not included in the price, when the weather is not so warm it would be nice to use this facility. It is called a golf and spa resort?

Room Tip: If you want some sunshine on your balcony especially in cooler months, request a room on left side o...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Anne R
SHERATONFUER, Director General at Sheraton Fuerteventura Beach, Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Dear clients,

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your family holiday. I’m happy that we catered for all generations and you have a nice memories. During the peak season, the lunch for Full Board guests is served at the buffet restaurant and we give the possiblity for those with Half Board to switch the dinner for the lunch. I also admit that outside the peak season, this possibility is not available.
You’ll be pleased to know that we have already received the new pillows from the Sheraton provider which are extra fluffy but still provide a good support for a comfortable sleep.
I regret that our name caused confusion but neither the green fees at the golf course nor the entrance to the Hesperides Thalasso Spa is included in the room rate (unless special packages which can be booked on our website).

Juan Manuel Galán

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (568)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
cheshire, England
Reviewed 15 January 2014

We stayed at this hotel on a B&B basis from 5/1/14 to 12/1/14 and had a lovely stay!
We were greeted with a very warm welcome by the porters when we arrived, and were given a glass of cava in reception. The staff on the reception desk were very polite and helpful.
Our room was spacious, comfortable and very clean with soft fluffy towels in the spotless bathroom.
There was a good choice at breakfast including cava and smoked salmon and everything was of good quality. Our only disappointment was that the orange juice at breakfast was fine for the first couple of days but then the quality changed and became quite acidic. This also applied to the orange juice served in the piano bar.
The service in the bar and restaurants was generally good, but we did experience a long wait in between courses in the Asian and Tapas restaurants. This was surprising as there were only a few guests in the restaurant at the time.
We ate at the Verandah Restaurant at lunch time on a few occasions.The food was good and although some reviewers have commented about the cost, the portions were quite substantial.
One point I must make here for the management is that some of the decorative cacti on the tables in this restaurant should be removed as I accidentally caught my finger on one whilst reaching across the table, the spines were quite long and could cause injury to a small child.
We also visited the local restaurants which were a short taxi ride or a 15 minute walk from the hotel. Restaurant 15 was good, but 555 wine and tapas restaurant was excellent for food, service and ambiance.
We enjoyed the evening entertainment in the hotel, especially the singer who performed on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.
The hotel seemed to cater well for families with small children. It had a themed paddling pool, kids club and playground.They also provided jars of baby food and plastic plates in the restaurant (Wish we had this when ours were young!)
Overall we had a great stay, this is the first time we have stayed at a Sheraton hotel and it will not be the last. I would definitely recommend it!

Room Tip: Ground floor garden room was a little chilly in January
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank where_next_7
Dear guest,

Thank you for making public your positive feedback about your stay and your recommendations. I’m truly pleased to learn that you had an enjoyable holiday with us. I wish to apologize for the long wait at the à la carte restaurants. This is certainly not our usual standard and I will consult it with the F&B Manager. Thank you for letting me know.

Dresden, Germany
Reviewed 15 January 2014

When you spend your holidays on Fuerteventura you need a comfortable hotel with all amenities and good food and drinks as there is not much to see on the island. In a one-day tour by car or coach you have seen everything. So rent a car for a day only and take the airport shuttle bus or a taxi to and from the hotel. There is also a courtesy bus from the hotel to the golf course and shopping centre if you do not want to walk about 5-7 minutes to do your shopping.
Having read previous reviews of this hotel we were a bit cautious when we arrived but positively surprised: the parking lot is spacious and you always find a parking close to the entrance, we were friendly greeted in the lobby with a glass of cava (the Spanish sparking wine), there was no queue at reception, our bags were immediately taken care of. Our deluxe room on fourth floor was spacious with lots of storage space, a large bathroom with rainshower (it worked well) and lots of storage space as well. From the large terrace/balcony we were overlooking the garden and pools and had a nice view of the ocean (all rooms are facing the ocean, however some have a lateral view).
Buffet-style breakfast, lunch and dinner offer a wide selection of freshly prepared meals in the main restaurant, where we preferred to sit outside on the terrace and always managed to get a table (we are not Spanish!). Except for breakfast drinks are not included in full-board but the house wines are acceptable and reasonably priced at €8-10. Beginning last week of November the main restaurant was closed for lunch which was instead served a la carte in the Pool restaurant. The menue there offers a good selection of meals, I recommend the sirloin steak, for instance. Both restaurants share the biggest asset of the hotel: its very friendly, polite, quick staff. We were always impressed how hard-working the waiters/waitresses are, yet always with a smile and helpful. In fact, this compliment applies to all hotel personnel although we were mostly in touch with the restaurant staff (cooks included).
Around the pools (in late November) we never had the problem to find a quiet place, although this is a family hotel and there were many kid below school age. One pool was heated.
While we found the hotel standard to be up-to-date, well-maintained and clean we find that it is not standard to charge €8 a day for wifi in your room (there is a free internet corner in the lobby though). I understand that wifi is offered by a commercial service provider and therefore chargeable but nevertheless is this policy not standard of the industry (except in Las Vegas).
For golfers: there are two golf courses nearby, one is served by the hospitality bus and promoted by the hotel at discounted green fees for hotel guests. However, if you wish to play also at the other golf course, that one will offer you the resident's greenfee rates (equivalent to hotel discount) and at quiet times make an additional special offer to attract your business.
In summary: if you come here to relax in comfort this is the very place for you

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank hottedresden
Dear traveller,

Thank you for posting your review at Tripadvisor. I’m delighted to learn that my team provided you with the perfect service and you had a nice stay at Fuerteventura. I hope to have the opportunity to see you in the future.

Kind regards,

UK
Reviewed 13 January 2014 via mobile

My partner and I have returned from a delightful week at the Sheraton. We found the resort well equipped, the staff handled guests logistics effortlessly.

Some constructive feedback:

This hotel is great and popular with families. If you haven't got children and are wanting piece and tranquility might I suggest avoiding school holiday time.

This is a five star resort with the facilities to match. Might I recommend seeing upon check-in two bedroom options as views can vary widly from shady aspects to sun drenched balconies.

My only minor complaint was the queue for omelettes. Yes you read that correctly, a queue for Omelettes. Not what you what you expect, might I suggest the Sheraton invest in another chef and a hot plate as the Omelettes appeared a hit with the guests each morning.

As we stated on a B&B basis
we found a very handy Eurospar and a beach side restaurant a few minutes walk from the venue which served delicious hand made sandwiches, rolls and salads which made perfect lunch options at the poolside.

For dinner we revised Trip Advisor for recommendations in Caleta De Fuste. We tried Restaurant 15 which well give: 7.5 out of ten; Fusion 22 which we'll give 7.5 out of ten; but 555 wine and tapas were a solid 10 for authenticity, great food and wonderful wine by the glass.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Orkyouree
SHERATONFUER, Director General at Sheraton Fuerteventura Beach, Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Dear client,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your holiday impressions. I’m pleased to learn that you have spent an enjoyable time at Fuerteventura and got to know the surroundings of the hotel and the little center of Caleta de Fuste. We remain at your full disposal whenever you’ll be back at Fuerteventura.

Director General
Prestatyn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 January 2014

I read all the reviews about all hotels on the island, I had been debating for two months before I actually booked it. yes there were a few planes now and again.not a problem .the food.. We'll how can you fault it ? Fabulous.. We were there on a half board basis, deluxe double sea view,room 452. Fab, the towels and bathrobes were whiter than white.maid service excellent,yes there were families there but if you wanted a couples only you should book that type of holiday, most parents did supervise their children at meal times,Some unfortunately didn't .overall I would give the whole holiday 10/10 perfect! we travelled as a couple and we will be going again next year .

Room Tip: Rooms above restaurant side prob the best if you want all day sun, rooms above spa sun till mid dayi...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mally L
Dear Mally L,

Thank you for such a fantastic review. I’m really delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay so much and it’ll certainly be a pleasure to have you with us again. Please do not hesitate to reach to us before, so that we can help you with whatever wishes you may have and find you a lovely room.

Liverpool
Reviewed 9 January 2014 via mobile

This was our fourth visit to this very attractive hotel in the quiet resort of Caleta de Fuste. The hotel was very quiet leading up to the busy period over Xmas. This suited us fine, however, we felt that the hotel was not as good as in past visits because there seemed to be fewer staff in the restaurant and the cleaners for the bedrooms.

We always look forward to the breakfasts and the chef who cooks the most marvellous omelettes, however, he was not on until our very last day - he had had annual holiday over this quiet period!

The evening were generally fine but again, the hot food was not hot and there was very little vegetable choice. Thank goodness for the microwave!

I must comment on Paul's review that too many parents allow their young children too much freedom: we are not in a nursery but a 5* restaurant. It is just not fair on couples who want to eat in peace. Children need to be taught how to behave in restaurants. I'm sure the restaurant is large enough to create an area in the evenings to accommodate couples, as is done at breakfast.

I know this sounds rather negative, but overall this is a pleasant hotel with friendly and most professional staff especially on Reception and in the restaurant.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Anne C
SHERATONFUER, Director General at Sheraton Fuerteventura Beach, Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, 11 January 2014
Dear Anne C,

Thank you for your feedback and for choosing our resort for another holiday. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay although it seems that we have dissapointed you in some aspects. We adapt the staff to the hotel’s needs as the occupancy or pre-opening of the Christmas season and are sorry if you didn’t see the familiar faces you know from your previous visits.

Manchester
Reviewed 9 January 2014

The tripadvisor reviews give a fair reflection of the hotel.
This is generally a good hotel (and I haven't found one better for a family winter break in the Canaries). Positives being:
large rooms, impresive bathrooms; nice pool area (heated pools making it great for young children); food was good (but expensive - especially if not half board), breakfast is great, kids club is OK.
things you might want to be aware of:
- in terms of evening entertainment - it is rather quite (not a problem for us) there only seems to be a kids mini discos and piano music.
- Area is quiet - but local shopping centre in walking distance. Town and harbour is 15 minute walk. As of Dec 2013 with new walkway under construction) and only a few Euros in a taxi.
Negative for me were:
- the poor response from the Manager to a querry on my bill (In my view there was a 102€ overcharge) - although I asked several times - the manager wouldn't make the time to see me and discuss (dissappointing as this was our 5th visit).
- some staff were not so polite (although most were): with spa staff and head of housekeeping letting the standards slip (nothing too bad - just a little blunt)
- Spa is beginning to look a little untidy
Overall the stay was still good value and high quality but the aspect with the manager not seeing me - means I'll (probably!) not return.

Room Tip: All the rooms are non-smoking and of the same layout/finish (not including suites of course): the an...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank united_always_score
Dear client,

Thank you for your review. I’m sorry if I or the rest of the Executive office seem ‘annoying’ to you, but we weren’t notified about the fact that there some ineligible charge on your bill. We do not charge our guests anything they didn’t consume and have no intention to start to do so now. Please provide me with more details about this charge of 102€ at rrpp@sheratonfuerteventura.com and I’ll investigate it. Thank you

Best regards,

Geranios Suites & Spa Hotel
Geranios Suites & Spa Hotel
#7 of 23 in Caleta de Fuste
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,386 reviews

Been to Sheraton Fuerteventura Beach, Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!