“Much impressed”

Sheraton Fuerteventura Beach, Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Caleta de Fuste
Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

We arrived at hotel last night. We were greated by very friendly reception staff with a glass of champagne.
We were astonished at the room we were booked into...massive room, king size bed, large lcd tv at bottom of bed, lovely seated area with sofa and chair and a dinning table and chairs. A walk in wardrobe, jacuzzi and separate shower...very impressed. Our first meal at hotel was on cannarian night, which previously anytime we have been away, on these specific nights, my wife finds it difficult to find something to eat, not this time. Breakfast this morning was superb. We have noticed in a few reviews by people saying that hotel run down and in need of refurbishment, hotel to me looks as I would have expected it to be. Breakfast and meals not 2 good..well so far we can't complain. This evening was Mexican night and was superb.
The pool area is immaculate and surrounding garden areas kept neat and tidy.
Would definitely recommend this hotel 10/10

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ian1blue
SHERATONFUER, Director General at Sheraton Fuerteventura Beach, Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2014

Dear ‘In-House’ Guest,

Thank you for your very quick review. I hope that you are still enjoying your stay and that the rest of the facilities is up to your standard and that my team is doing their best to make you feel special.
Please do not hesitate to contact me during your stay for whatever inquiries or questions you may have. It’ll be a pleasure to help you.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 24 January 2014 via mobile

I'm giving this hotel 3 out of 5, as I feel that "Very Good" is too generous a description.

The accommodation and surroundings are undoubtedly five-star, but there are a few unexpected annoyances which cloud the picture.

Firstly, the Wi-Fi. We're well into the 21st century now, and it's very easy to provide the necessary infrastructure to ensure 24-hour coverage & capacity, especially to those who have paid for in-room access. I would expect this to be free in a 5-star hotel. The staff, when faced with a complaint, blame the 3rd party, then call the 3rd party, then say, "It's working."

Secondly, I don't expect the maid service in a 5-star hotel to be so hit-and-miss. On one day our room wasn't visited until we complained, and on another we weren't left sufficient towels.

Third, the reception staff need a crash course in Customer Service. When speaking to a guest (in this case about the shoddy wi-fi), it's not acceptable to break off the conversation to answer the phone !! I also found another member of staff totally unhelpful when trying to locate my mother, who was travelling separately. After telling me that she'd checked in, and claiming to have called her in her room, it transpired that she was actually still in the airport.

The breakfast buffet is superb, and the majority of the buffet dinners were acceptable. The fare on Spanish and Mexican nights, however, was just nasty. The pool bar is just over-priced.

Over to you Sheraton...

Stayed: January 2014
3  Thank GarethBlues
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Positives - nice junior suite with large round jacuzzi bath
Nice pool area
Attentive staff very good restaurant staff especially, also manager very visible but not sure if he has a tight budget but it feels like the hotel is being run as though it has!
Negatives
Not 5 star by a long way
No evening turndown
Given junior suite in a block that receives no sun whatsoever throughout
the day
Food not even as good as most 4 stars we have stayed in, it was always Luke warm and bland tasting with a very poor choice for a 5 star rating, no real show cooking stations just one chef cooking fish meat to order all plain
One chef in the morning doing everything
Only one fresh juice (orange)
Very expensive 8 euros for a gin or vodka without the mixer which I think was 3 euros extra, 14 euro for a club sandwich in pool restaurant!
Maid service not 5 star no little touches like refilling coffee and milk or tidying balcony generally not spotless as it should be
No entertainment apart from in the lobby bar for couple of hours each evening which is very small considering size of hotel
No drinks service around the pool
Spa in need of a refurb
To sum up hotel looks nice but really is not worth the price tag
In comparison to other hotels similar price ie Sensatori Tenerife , anthelia Tenerife, Europe villa Cortes Tenerife

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank md1

Dear traveller,

Thank you for submitting your feedback at Tripadvisor. I’m sorry to learn that we didn’t live up to your expectations and failed to provide you with the extra touches and details one expects in a resort like this. The critic has been taken on board and we will be working hard to get better.

Reviewed 22 January 2014

The 'Sheraton Fuertaventura Beach, Golf & Spa Resort' is an interesting name given it doesn't have it's own beach, is not on nor situated by a golf course and guests are charged to use the spa!!

My girlfriend and I stayed there at the begining of Jan 2014. We upgraded to a Junior Suite which was a great room, however after 4 nights of very poor sleep due to noise from the room above we were finally moved. The rooms were nice, but in poor condition with horrible stains of the furniture, broken items, not what I expect from a 5* Sheraton! The table and mirror in the room had no plug socket on the whole wall which wasn't ideal either.

We like tennis so wanted to play every day. There is only 1 court which is inadequate, more importantly the court extremely delapidated (see pics) plus they wanted us to pay10 Euros per hour! Given the cost of a week being well over a thousand pounds each I feel this is a total insult. In contrast somewhere like Lykia World in Olu Deniz, Turkey has 19 tennis courts, the use of which are totally free. Get with the programme Sheraton!

The crazy golf is unusable given the matting on most holes is ripped (see pics). Also the cabin by the course is never manned so it's anybody's guess where you get putters & balls. Due to it being unmanned there's zero atmosphere in this area of the grounds which creates a sizeable 'dead-zone'. Shame as it's potentially a great area.

Being in a "Spa" hotel we looked forward to our 1st visit a few days in, only to be told we had to pay 15 Euros each. We looked at each other in disbelief that the hotel we had paid a fortune to stay in now wanted to charge us 30 Euros to use a heated pool and sauna, unbelievable! This is probably why the spa is totally deserted most of the time, shame. Sheraton management, if you're reading this you really should look at giving guests at least 1 or 2 vouchers to use the Spa, you just can't continually rip guests off like this. Well you can, but you'll get zero goodwill and guests won't return. Treat guests well, give them things to put smiles on their faces, not frown lines on their forehead!

Overall this is a nice hotel, but it has clearly been neglected for years and needs investment and pro-active management.

Due to problems during our stay I would have given this hotel 1 out of 5 stars, however purely because the new manager interviened (after 5 days of problems) I have added another. Thank you Fransisco.

On a positive note the food and restaurant service is really good, the hotel bar and staff are great, and the a la carte (50% off if you're half or full board) is superb. Our favourite was the La Veranda restaurant by the pool (the lunch restaurant).

I hope the new management gets to grips with the problems which are currently making this great hotel, mediocre. I guess time will tell!

Hope my feedback helps :-)

Room Tip: All "Sea View" rooms are not equal! :-)
5  Thank CretitWhereItsDue
SHERATONFUER, Director General at Sheraton Fuerteventura Beach, Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2014

Dear Paul,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent holiday experience with us. I’m sorry that we have dissapointed you in every aspect and didn’t reach any of your expectations. With regard to the location, we are directly on the sandy beach. It’s true that this is public one but there are no private beaches in Spain. We are just next to the 2 golf courses and the whole development is called Fuerteventura Golf Resort. I regret that our name caused misunderstanding or created false expectations. This hasn’t been certainly our goal. All your comments about the maintenance have been taken aboard and will be handled promptly.
Hesperides Thalasso Spa is not included in the price of the room rate. If you do not wish to pay 15€ per day, you can purchase a multiple entrance and receive a price reduction. We also offer a package which consist of room rate, spa entrance and some other amenities. You can find them on our website.

I remain at your full disposal.

Kind regards,

General Manage

Reviewed 16 January 2014

Stayed here from the 4th of January for eleven nights.Unfortunately we caught the tail end of the school xmas holidays.When we arrived (a couple in our fifties) we thought we had entered a nursery or creche .This is not a hotel for adults wanting peace and quiet,it did get better towards the end of the holiday,but screaming children being allowed to run about in a restaurant in what is supposed to be a 5 star restaurant is not acceptable .It felt as though we were eating at a children,s party in a Mc Donalds.Not the direct fault of the management as parents are to blame for the behaviour of their children ,and show consideration for other guests , but I do feel there should be a separate area for adults to enjoy a meal.
The food is variable often cold ,compared to other good 4 star and 5 star hotels this does not meet the mark.Coffee always served cold in the morning .The restaurant basically feels like a staff canteen.Except for the outside areas which are pleasent if you want to get away from the noise and mayhem.
The pool area is good but on our first few days had this dreadful music blaring out for an hour of aqua aerobics follwed by water polo !! again not what you expect at a five star hotel .There was no quiet area to get away from this noise .It felt like a Butlins holiday camp .Again children being allowed to scream and run about with little regard for adult guests.
On the plus side the room and balcony are excellent.The entertainment is a bar with out any atmosphere good if you like sitting in a hotel foyer.
We hired a car for a week and found some lovely beaches and interesting villages.
There are some decent bars in the resort for live music.
Our advice is for couples stick to adult only hotels which we will do in future.I think this would be a good hotel for families as the facilities reflect the empasis on family holidays.

2  Thank Ribblevalleyt0urers

Dear guest,

Thank you for your valuable feedback. It’s true that during your stay the hotel was fully occupied and there have been many families. I’m sorry to learn that due to this fact you couldn’t relax in any of our inside or outside facilites. This is not the first time I’m answering this kind of comments. This leads us to really re-consider the organisation of the spaces for different segments of the clients. We are already searching for the best options and hopefully will be implementing them soon.

Best regards,

Reviewed 15 January 2014

Our first family holiday, grandparents, son and partner and son, wife and 2 children ages 2.5 and 9 months. Facilities suited us all, the kids loved the pool and the older ones joined in on all the activities run by Marco who did well to get people involved, and the golf suited Grand Dad! We have 2 family suites and on deluxe room which were very nice, but if you want the sun on your balcony at this time of year then request a room on the left side looking out to sea, we were in room 363 and as my son had to spend a bit of time in the room with his children I think they would have welcomed some warmth and sunshine. Also we would have benefited from connecting rooms to make it easier for sleeping children. Pillows were not very comfortable.
We were on half board and we found the food to be very good and varied each night, the staff were very attentive and very good with the children, the plates could be warmer as your food does get cold quickly and also we had to ask for hotter coffee in the morning. Also more than 1 microwave is needed. It would be good if you could have the half board option at lunch time especially for the children as they really were too tired by 6.30 to eat anything and often did not go for evening meal. This would also limit the number of children in the restaurant in the evening and make for a better experience for those on holiday without children.
It was disappointing that the spa entry is not included in the price, when the weather is not so warm it would be nice to use this facility. It is called a golf and spa resort?

Room Tip: If you want some sunshine on your balcony especially in cooler months, request a room on left side o...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Anne R

Dear clients,

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your family holiday. I’m happy that we catered for all generations and you have a nice memories. During the peak season, the lunch for Full Board guests is served at the buffet restaurant and we give the possiblity for those with Half Board to switch the dinner for the lunch. I also admit that outside the peak season, this possibility is not available.
You’ll be pleased to know that we have already received the new pillows from the Sheraton provider which are extra fluffy but still provide a good support for a comfortable sleep.
I regret that our name caused confusion but neither the green fees at the golf course nor the entrance to the Hesperides Thalasso Spa is included in the room rate (unless special packages which can be booked on our website).

Reviewed 15 January 2014

We stayed at this hotel on a B&B basis from 5/1/14 to 12/1/14 and had a lovely stay!
We were greeted with a very warm welcome by the porters when we arrived, and were given a glass of cava in reception. The staff on the reception desk were very polite and helpful.
Our room was spacious, comfortable and very clean with soft fluffy towels in the spotless bathroom.
There was a good choice at breakfast including cava and smoked salmon and everything was of good quality. Our only disappointment was that the orange juice at breakfast was fine for the first couple of days but then the quality changed and became quite acidic. This also applied to the orange juice served in the piano bar.
The service in the bar and restaurants was generally good, but we did experience a long wait in between courses in the Asian and Tapas restaurants. This was surprising as there were only a few guests in the restaurant at the time.
We ate at the Verandah Restaurant at lunch time on a few occasions.The food was good and although some reviewers have commented about the cost, the portions were quite substantial.
One point I must make here for the management is that some of the decorative cacti on the tables in this restaurant should be removed as I accidentally caught my finger on one whilst reaching across the table, the spines were quite long and could cause injury to a small child.
We also visited the local restaurants which were a short taxi ride or a 15 minute walk from the hotel. Restaurant 15 was good, but 555 wine and tapas restaurant was excellent for food, service and ambiance.
We enjoyed the evening entertainment in the hotel, especially the singer who performed on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.
The hotel seemed to cater well for families with small children. It had a themed paddling pool, kids club and playground.They also provided jars of baby food and plastic plates in the restaurant (Wish we had this when ours were young!)
Overall we had a great stay, this is the first time we have stayed at a Sheraton hotel and it will not be the last. I would definitely recommend it!

Room Tip: Ground floor garden room was a little chilly in January
2  Thank where_next_7

Dear guest,

Thank you for making public your positive feedback about your stay and your recommendations. I’m truly pleased to learn that you had an enjoyable holiday with us. I wish to apologize for the long wait at the à la carte restaurants. This is certainly not our usual standard and I will consult it with the F&B Manager. Thank you for letting me know.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Caleta de Fuste
Avanti Hotel Boutique Fuerteventura
Geranios Suites & Spa Hotel
Geranios Suites & Spa Hotel
#7 of 23 in Caleta de Fuste

Been to Sheraton Fuerteventura Beach, Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!