“Peace and quiet at a premium.”

Sheraton Fuerteventura Beach, Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Caleta de Fuste
Reviewed 17 March 2014

We booked this hotel as it is a five star property for a weeks break. The hotel reception and rooms are five star as are the service levels.The down sides are many though. We can only comment on our weeks stay but we suspect that the situation with regard to the number of infants/young children being in the majority of guests would apply at other times. The restaurant at meal times was "bedlam" with noise from the children screaming and running between tables had to be seen and heard to be believed.The adults only pool was taken over by the children too with no attempt to curtail their activity. In closing we would advise that if you are travelling as a couple DO NOT US THIS HOTEL.We write these comments as parents and grandparents so we are fully aware of how children should behave!

Room Tip: Rooms on 3rd or 4th floor from 300 to 330 or 400 to 430 sea facing
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank geoff p
SHERATONFUER, General Manager at Sheraton Fuerteventura Beach, Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for commenting on your recent stay with us. I’m truly sad to learn that we didn’t live up to your expectations. We always try to accommodate all our guests, let it be couples, families or single travellers and I see that we still have a lots of work ahead of us. I appreciate your honest feedback, it shows me that this is the direction our hotel must go if we wish to be the resort for all the travellers.

Fernando Molero

Write a ReviewReviews (3,427)

Reviewed 16 March 2014

Went for a chilling holiday but that's certainly not what we got.to begin with at the pool,the tiles in the children's pool were broken & cracked.the towels that were used on the lounger were reused without being laundered every day,the pool side lifeguard(which there was only one!!!)refolded them to be reused-yuk!!the poolside toilet were absolutely filthy,shocking in fact. Now onto children's play area,unsafe & dangerous.bedroom were a good size & reasonably clean.the bed sheets very ripped,some days bathrobes were there other days not,very dated decor also.breakfast was good apart from daily hunting for salt & pepper,you would think that would be a regular item to have on the table!!!Ate in other areas of the hotel & could describe as dreadful.had spaghetti carbonara(a creamy watery sauce with cheap processed ham on the top) & at the poolside which was equally as bad served in takeaway polystyrene containers.a bit ugly for a 5 star hotel.the general attitude of the staff was they didn't care & they oozed rudeness..Sheraton never again

Room Tip: Don't go
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Pal G
SHERATONFUER, General Manager at Sheraton Fuerteventura Beach, Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking your valuable time for commenting on your holiday with us. I’m sorry to learn that spending time at our hotel was such a dreadful experience for you, and we didn’t live up to your expectations in any aspect. I would like to only make a brief mention with regard to the pool towels. As well as you received fresh towels each day, every other guest does. The towels are folded, because we don’t see any reason why they shouldn’t be, even if they are used ones.
I’m sad to see that you didn’t use the opportunity to speak to us during your stay where we can address many issues and make your stay memorable.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

We were very disappointed with this Sheraton hotel.

The hotel tended to cater for mainly German guests or at least the food choice variety and quality would suggest this, what choice of cooked food there was had either been under cooked or over cooked to the point it became charcoal.
The hotel only had one meal sitting which started at 6:30pm, if you like ourselves tend to eat fairly early, then you will have to put up with screaming babies and shouting petulant young children who's parents didn't give a jot about the peace or comfort of other guest. I could quite understand why the a'lacarte restaurants within the hotel were usually very busy.

What evening entertainment there was in the hotel was definitely 2 star at best and certainly was well below the standard of other hotels in the area, with this in mind we asked the reception how many of the 47 tv channels were in English? We were told 3, BBC world news, CNN news and EURO news,(not much their to watch) the rest were as you would expect German( at least 10 or 12 channels) the rest in French and Spanish which you can accept as we were on Spanish Island.

And so to sum up if you would like poor quality food and entertainment, with noisy meal time then this is the hotel for you...... Oh and I forgot to mention it is also right under the airport flight path.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Graham R

Dear client,

Thank you for your valuable feedback. I’m sorry that you didn’t enjoy your holiday with us. With regard to the dinner times and families, we have separated the buffet restaurant in two areas. Although we do not want to force anybody to sit where he/she does not wish to, we always recommend one part of the restaurant for families and the other one for adults. I’m sorry this wasn’t explained to you and I will certainly check with my F&B team to avoid similar complaints in the future. Thank you for letting me know. I appreciate your time and once again let me express my sadness over the fact, that we didn’t create the vacation you were hoping for.

Reviewed 13 March 2014

This hotel was nice although a little pricey on the drinks, as soon as we arrived we went to the pool bar to order two pints of lager which was 9.80 euros plus the tax, to expensive to drink there again which was a shame as it was a Nice setting, not sure why they charge so much when you can go to the little town and get a pint for 1.50 euros. Food excellent in the buffet restaurant, could not fault this, a different theme every evening! Did not like Fuerteventura it self so much, very windy with not much to do or see on this island, a shame as the hotel was lovely, friendly staff, very clean and well kept.

Room Tip: We were room 123 no sun at all on this side of the hotel, did not bother us as we tend to get out an...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear traveller,

Thank you for taking your time for commenting on your recent holiday with us. I’m happy that the hotel facilities and services were up to your standard. Although we dissapointed you with our pricing policy, it seems that the overall experiences is a highly positive.

Reviewed 11 March 2014

The Sheraton Golf & Spa Resort is a very good quality Hotel located on the outskirts of Caleta, which is 15-20 mins walk away. There no facilities/bars/restaurants outside the hotel. The Complex is very large and sprawling with equally large pools and garden area. The general condition of the Hotel is quite good with a good standard of cleanliness throughout. Check in was fine with a helpful member of staff to complete our registration. Our Luggage was promptly delivered to our room without fuss. The lobby and reception area is pleasant without being fussy and the indoor plants and flowers are magnificent.

We checked into our Junior Suite at 9pm and the room was very spacious and tastefully decorated. The sleeping/living area was well furnished, the balcony although not huge was accessed through two sliding doors and it contained a table and chairs and two sun loungers. The bathroom was extremely well appointed, there was a separate walk in wardrobe/dressing area and a separate bathing area with a double sized jacuzzi. Overall standard was very impressive.

In the early morning (5.30am) I was awoken by noise from the floor above. Apparently a family had checked in with one or two children? They were very heavy footed on the tiled floor which resulted in a deep banging as they ran about the room. They were also pulling furniture along the floor which resulted in deafening screech. This went on for an hour so I went onto the balcony where it was more quiet while my wife and 5.5 month old daughter tried to get some rest. After breakfast I approached reception and explained (I did not complain) about the noise, the gentleman at reception said he would have a word for me which was fine.

At this point I would like to mention that breakfast service was friendly and professional. There is a good choice of food both hot and cold to choose from. One thing I would like to have seen were Irish/British style sausages. Why can you never find a good sausage on holidays? :) Overall B'fast was very good though.

After lunch we went back to the room for a while and at 3pm - 4pm the noise from upstairs was getting worse. I went to reception again to get an update and the staff informed me that they spoke to the family and rather then cause an incident (whereby they might call to my room??) He would move us to the top floor directly two floors above our room, thus ensuring we would get the same room type. We reluctantly packed and and headed upstairs, when we arrived the new room was much smaller (although decorated similar to a junior suite) it was not the same room, the room was clearly much smaller, had less furniture and considering how much we paid I considered this unfair treatment. I had to go back down to reception again and explain that the new room was not the same as the old room, I was informed "I should never have been offered a smaller replacement room"? At this stage it was so much hassle packing and moving with a baby and all our belongings, I was frustrated to say the least.
When the Manager arrived (Francisco) he stated he had no other similar rooms available. He was trying to be helpful in what was clearly a difficult situation, in my opinion this entire situation could have been avoided if the Hotel insisted that the guests above keep their kids quiet. I fully expect travelling families with kids to make some noise, I was also travelling with a young baby, but the noise I experienced was above and beyond normal! I personally think the quests above should have been asked to move, why did I have to pack and walk around the hotel for 2 hours?? Francisco also offered a pass into the Spa for the inconvenience, we were never given the pass?

In the end we were offered room 116, a ground floor junior suite. Beautiful room with a large terrace. although we now had no view at all it was at least the same room, so we unpacked for the third time and it this stage I was really tired from carrying all the luggage from opposite ends of the hotel. We ended up in a bad mood over the whole experience so went to bed early, we lost an evening/night over this.

One benefit to room 116 was that the terrace received the sun in the late afternoon, the previous two rooms located on the right hand side of the hotel were completely in shadow all day. It would be disappointing to pay for an upgraded room and have no sunshine there all day. Unfortunately there was a drawback to room 116. There is a service entrance close to the terrace and the staff are bringing supplies to the bar and restaurant and the towel changes all day. The supplies are brought on metal trolleys which squeak and rattle loudly as they pass over the small bridge. This goes on all day long so there was no peace and quiet at all, the noise woke the baby many times, It was really loud. At this stage I could not change to a fourth room, we just put up with it. I am sure the hotel knows how close this room is to the service entrance, it is shocking that staff bringing goods in and out on shopping trolleys all day!

We ate in the WokZen Asian style restaurant once. The food prices are cheap and the wine list was good value. The portion sizes are small and the quality is only average. The sushi starter was disappointing, the rice was very sticky and tasted of rice vinegar, the balance was wrong in my opinion. The mains were small and cold. Service was fine during dinner but it took so long to sign for the meal, couples were approaching the kitchen door to get some staff to produce a bill. There are no cash transactions here. All meals are signed to the room. Without any cash/tips the staff are lacking motivation?

The pool and bar areas are really nice here with plenty of sun beds and plenty of room. I did notice some dogs allowed in the pool area? These were small pet dogs on leads but I have never encountered this before. This is not a hygienic practice and most unusual in a 5* hotel? The dogs were also barking and trying to get at the pigeons.

TV in the room is predominantly aimed at German speaking nations, there are some French and plenty of Spanish TV channels. Why are there not a variety of English channels??? We had BBC world news, CNN, and a documentary channel and a French and a Russian news channel in English. There are no movie/music/regular English speaking channels available, I cant believe in this day and age they cannot arrange for some English language TV?? after a week of news headlines I was slowly going mad.

The Hotel is a fine facility overall, I think my issues were exceptional bad luck, but we were not treated properly when we had a complaint and we were sent all over the hotel to find a suitable room which is not acceptable. I cannot say I received value for money.

Room Tip: The hotel is in three parts, the middle part and the left wing are positioned in the sun, the rooms...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank paulshols
Reviewed 10 March 2014

THE GOOD - Stayed here 2-9 March - birthday trip with my Mum. Rooms are standard but good shower rooms and bathroom space. Make sure you get sea view. Breakfasts good - the buffet is great. Good choice, served well with nice seating area outside on terrace. Pool area spacious and well maintained. Lovely poolside bar and restaurant for lunch. Nice walking distance to the town, but far enough away to feel quiet and secluded. Good, clean beach on doorstep. On site restaurants also very good but pricey.
THE BAD Although we enjoyed our stay I feel the star rating is misleading and needs to be reviewed. The hotel was dead on arriving although we were denied an upgrade and then shown to a dirty double room. Had to then wait an hour until another (twin as requested) was available. Annoying when I had requested an early check-in by email due to flight arrival time.
THE UGLY - Nothing major (or any fault of the hotel at all) but overall the hotel surroundings and landscape are not attractive. Looks like they have a reasonable amount of building work going on. Also - the town does not have a great selection of bars and restaurants (unless you like cheap irish bars and steak houses) and is not pretty.

Room Tip: Sea view a must - we were in 445 - a nice twin and facing the pool and sea.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank LadySheIIey
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Starting with the positives, our 2 children made friends and enjoyed the kids club and activities. The food was always hot and of good quality, each evening is themed but there are also steaks or fish on offer. The surrounding area is quiet and although we had sunshine most days, it is very windy!! Unfortunately our holiday was blighted by two incidents in the hotel, firstly we had cockroaches in our room (218) which at first we dealt with best we could without the children knowing but then when it became impossible to hide and I came accross the previous occupants feed back form which confirmed there was a problem it stated " something needs to be done about the cockroaches in this room!". After being told to pack up our belongings we waited to be moved. A few hours passed and we were then told there was now no room available until the following day and so we had to stay put. This caused great inconvenience as we couldn't find essentials that evening at bedtime and felt like we were living out of our suitcase. The next day we were offered a disabled room with no shower or a ground floor room which was just below our current room. Hmmm hardly an improvement we offered to pay more if this was what was required to have a higher floor. Fortunately at this point the Manager Francisco Brisco became involved and said a room would be available after lunch. For our inconvenience he compensated us with a Spa voucher, we went as a family and thoroughly enjoyed this. Our second incident occured when after leaving my new monsoon beach dress over a cabinet in our room I picked it up to find a white bleach mark on it. As I inspected the surface there was a small pool of liquid which appeared to smell of bleach (the cleaners had left the room 5 mins previously). I telephoned down to reception and after half an hour of someone saying they would come and hadn't I phoned again asking to speak to a manager. A lady called "Tonya" telephoned back and told me catergorically that no bleach is used for cleaning. I did feel as though she did not believe me and so I asked her to come to inspect this for herself before it dried up and the evidence was gone. No one came my husband went down to reception twice to ask for someone to come and no one did so in the end I went down with the dress and waited for Tonya to come out from the back room. Eventually she came out to greet me and was still adament that it couldn't be bleach but agreed to come and see. Luckily for me the bleach hadn't yet dried and so I asked her to touch and smell the liquid this obviously wasnt evidence enough for her so she had hold of my dress and appeared to be looking at the wash label but then to my horror dipped the dress in the liquid for a 2nd time! Proof enough that she didn't believe me. Sure enough the colour drained from the garment and I think her words were "o dear" and " it does seem there is some type of bleach in the cleaning product" no apology for what had happened. When I stated that I was more annoyed that she made me feel like I was lying she just said "No, not at all". This womans approach to management is to prove the customer wrong and then deal with the outcome as required. And there was no language barrier it was very obvious she knew what had happened. Moreover the dress being ruined is one thing but if my children had of touched the bleach and rubbed their eyes for instance it could have been very serious. As we were flying home the next day I never saw my dress again or the delightfully rude Tonya but Francisco was back at work and spoke with my husband at Breakfast he made sure our room bill was adjusted accordingly as compensation and apologised for what had happened. To sum up I rarely write comments or complete feedback forms even though we hoilday around 3 x a year but on this occassion I felt the need to. Yes incidents happen and we were unlucky, however it is how they are dealt with by the people who should be trying to make your holiday enjoyable that matters. Francisco Brisco thankfully is the one person who makes the difference at the Sheraton.

Room Tip: Room 325 was lovely and had full sea/pool view.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Avanti Hotel Boutique Fuerteventura
Hotel Elba Palace Golf
Hotel Elba Palace Golf
#1 of 23 in Caleta de Fuste

Been to Sheraton Fuerteventura Beach, Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!