“Great Hotel - Honest Review”

Sheraton Fuerteventura Beach, Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Caleta de Fuste
Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel - Honest Review”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I use this site to vet hotels I have stayed in and rely on people to be truthful which I have been below but please read past the positives as there might be some game changers for you that weren't to me.

I have never been compelled to write a review myself until now so bare with the rambling. The hotel is fantastic in terms of the quality you would come to expect from a 5* establishment. The room is a specific plus point for me (we stayed in a deluxe/superior) and was exceptionally spacious (specifically the bathroom which was as good if not better than any British hotel I have stayed in). The staff were very friendly and the cleaners thorough and not intrusive, the variety and quality of breakfast and dinner was amazing catering for all tastes. I have put some bullet points below stating the positives and negatives from my point of view, however please read negative 1 as it may make or break this choice for you.

Positives.

Variety of food and drink options (half board/full board).

Friendly staff.

Cleanliness of hotel and room (attentive maids without being intrusive.

Free electronic in room safe.

Bed and the pillows.

15 mins from airport so taxi probably not a bad option depending on cost of transfers being offered.

Right next to beach.

Pools / sun beds always available even if you want a lie in (no early rising to get one).

Free towels for sun beds by the pool (have to be returned or you will be charged)

Small 10min walk to nightlife (not massive but I don't think this is the island if that's what you were looking for). 5 min walk to commercial centre that has a Spa with everything you could need domestically.

Negatives

Unfortunately it is on the flight path to Fuerteventura Airport it is literally flown over by the inbound planes, there is no air wash but there is a loud thrust of engine noise dependant on the size of the plane as it enters it's final descent. The airport does seem to have restrictions (not factual just based on what I heard) and seems to stop by 10pm give or take and start after 8am. Not lengthy disturbances but enough to wake you if you are a light sleeper (and have the patio door open). The traffic isn't massive by any stretch but if something like that really would irritate you then you would definitely need a hotel much further down the island.

WIFI needs to be paid for if not in the lobby - we didn't pay for it but my daughter used the lobby every night and was not impressed with it, frequently disconnecting and slow connection. Maybe paid would be better but if this is what you are really requiring for a holiday definitely not the best.

On site shop has very limited selection so may have to walk a lot to commercial centre Spa for some basic items.

Hotel entertainment stops around 11:00pm and bar shuts at 1am so if you want to party to the early hours better to go out.

No cash transactions take place all hotel costs go onto the room - although you can check daily not good if you feel you need a tighter grip of your finances (especially when drinking). Although the costs aren't massive and probably in line with hotels of this quality or even lesser you could wake up one morning with a sore head not entirely sure how much you'd spent.

Finally if I was being really picky the mini golf and sport areas could do with a refresh. The mini golf is challenging to say the least in its present condition (ripped carpeting and debris), however expect debris on any mini golf course as this is a windy island.

All in all the best hotel I have staid in on any of the islands across 9 visits and although there is a lot written within the negatives I have only done this to be specific so you can choose to disregard if not relevant.

Oh by the way if you wake up in the morning and it's cloudy don't worry, it seems to be how every day starts until glorious sunshine from 11:00 onwards, the island has it's very unique weather system.

Hope someone reads this and goes as it's definitely worth a trip if this is your pick of the islands I will definitely be back.

Hope you enjoy as much as me and my family did.
Lee

Room Tip: Don't go ground floor.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
22 Thank Lee H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (561)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
spain/uk
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Stayed here for a week with my two teenage daughters, had a wonderful stay. The hotel is beautiful and the pool area is amazing. Our room was beautiful the beds were the best I have EVER slept in better than my own. Housekeeping was excellent. We stayed half board and to be honest wasn't quite sure what to expect but the range of food was great there is something for everyone. Patrick one of the waiters was always there to welcome us, to dinner in the evenings, however other waiters were less enthusiastic in there service, and didn't seem to enjoy what they were doing. Which was a shame.
The evenings we spent in the lounge/bar area, the had live music most nights which was good. The waiters and bar staff were very friendly and nothing was too much trouble. We had a full day in the spa with treatments which were lovely, only neg point was that it's a shame there isn't a nice relaxing area where you can have a nice drink/smoothie etc instead of the vending type machine they had. Reception staff were very helpful and nothing was too much trouble for them. I will definitely be returning. THANKYOU for a wonderful relaxing holiday.

Room Tip: 5th floor amazing sea views.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank greenbean18
SHERATONFUER, General Manager at Sheraton Fuerteventura Beach, Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking your valuable time for commenting on your holiday experience with us. I’m very pleased that my team went the extra mile to meet your needs although you mention that the F&B department has some space for improvement. We have many new hires and I’m convinced that once they are confident in their tasks, their treatment to the guests will be more relaxing, also. Thank you for sharing this with us.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I was made to feel very welcome here and can only offer praise for the customer service given.
The breakfast each day was excellent with a large choice to accommodate all requirements, had 1 meal in the Faro restaurant ( a la cart'e ) which was fabulous but sadly had no atmosphere as only about 10 dinners in the whole restaurant.
Dined out most nights in Caleta de Fuste, wide choice and reasonable prices €75 being the average for a family of 4 .
The hotel sporting facilities are starting to show some age and could do with an upgrade, the crazy golf is a good example of where work should take place even though we all strangely still enjoyed it.
The hotel grounds are excellently maintained with native plants and manicured lawns - very impressive :)

Spa facilities are very good - recommend you use these after 2pm when children are not allowed or your visit wont be quite as relaxing as you may hope.

My only negative point is that the numerous TV channels provided in the room only offer BBC world news in English just about every other channel is German which sadly i do not speak.

The golf courses literally over the road are very good, be advised if you are going to hire everything you will pay a hefty price for tees, balls and gloves so recommend you take your own - the hotel will book the golf for you at the service desk but you need to book at least 24hrs in advance with an early tee off time to beat the heat ( 0800 first tee off )

Room Tip: best to request a room with a sea view , the higher you are the better the view as most ground floor...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
6 Thank Voldermort23
SHERATONFUER, General Manager at Sheraton Fuerteventura Beach, Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your first-hand impression about Sheraton Fuerteventura. We are happy to see that your family enjoyed the stay and used not only the hotel facilities but other leisure options in the hotel’s surroundings.
We have another 6 channels in English, also they have the similar content as BBC. We take your comments on board and the next time we update our TV channels’ variety, we’ll look for more options.

It’ll be pleasure to be able to host you in the future. We remain at your full disposal.

Belgium
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

I have to admit that nevertheless many minus points, this is the best hotel in Caleta de Fueste, as we have checked all of them around. Probably also in the whole Fuerte...

We booked this hotel for the second time. I had a feeling that nothing has changed.
Same people working there, should be a good sign. Fine food, with lots of attention to decoration and good looking boards.

This year we got to know staff from the mini club. The feeling is not so positive...maybe next time better.

This year i have noticed that sunbeds are being reserved. One day I specially looked after 4 beds, they were reserved with hotel towels from the morning till 17.00..., then I left. Nobody came to that beds.

Internet was awful this year. Just forget your tablet or phone, it will not work there, even in the internet corner.

The television in the internet corner with CNN channel only was very irritating. This time they were showing all the time dead people of Gaza while many children were around. I believe neutral channel would more convinient.

We stayed 1 week this time, as 2 weeks at the same hotel would be boring.

Would be great to have this level hotel somewhere else on Fuerte.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank SevastBelgium
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Stayed at this Hotel the first two weeks of July 2014. First impressions were very good. The public areas were excellent and furnished to a high standard. The bedroom was very spacious
and had a lovely sea view from the large balcony. The bathroom again was spacious with twin wash basins, a separate toilet, large separate walk in shower and a bath.Things started to go downhill when we went to the Restaurant for our evening meal. This was a Buffet style restaurant. Whilst there were two or three areas with a selection of cold foods, the area where the hot food was served was far to small for the size of the Hotel and the number of people it had to cope with. The food was lukewarm at best although you could ask the chefs to cook meat and fish from the cold display. Each evening there was a different theme. but really most of the time the meals were very repetitive and mediocre. If you had soup, you needed to reheat it in the microwave as it was tepid. The Breakfast was much better with a large selection of hot food, pastries and fruit etc. We took the half Board option, but my advice would be to stick to bed and breakfast and eat out at the Restaurants in Caleta de Fuste, a fifteen minute walk or a short ride in a taxi. The swimming pool area was very nice and sunbeds were always available. There were a few activities around the pool including looking at the aeroplanes on their final approach to Fuerteventura airport. The evening entertainment was very disappointing and could do with improving. The Hotel had it's own Pub which I thought was strange for a 5* Hotel. The Hotel staff were very friendly and helpful when required. I have stayed at various Sheraton Hotels on business in large cities, but I don't think they have quite got it right for a Holiday destination. At best this Hotel should have a 4* rating. I was planning to go to the Sheraton Caleta Tenerife, but I think I'll give it a miss.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank YoungKeithK
SHERATONFUER, General Manager at Sheraton Fuerteventura Beach, Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your very recent impressions from your holiday. I’m pleased to learn that our facilities and your room were according to your expectations and you enjoyed them. I’m truly sorry to hear that our theme nights at the Los Arcos Restaurants were not in the same tune. Your concerns about the temperature of the food was passed on to our Executive Chef. We are thankful for your feedback and are truly sad to see that as a regular Sheraton guests, you won’t be repeating your expeirence while on holiday.

Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

Our room was really generously sized, pristine and the bath/wet room was lovely. We had a warm welcome from staff with a complimentary drink and chocolate strawberries sent to our room. We got everything we would expect of a 4, rather than 5 star hotel, as other reviewers have commented. The breakfast buffet was superb. The hotel is massive & much more suited to families especially with young children which it attracts. It's not ideal for couples as there is little by way of entertainment & lots of kids. By 11am all sun loungers were claimed by the towel method (!) but often remained unused, sometimes all day. This should be discouraged at the least. Wifi is awful (even when we paid for it) and dear. We ate in tripadvisor recommended local restaurants and did really enjoy our stay there. I probably wouldn't return to that part of Fuerteventura again as there's really nothing to it though.

Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Jenny B
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Located in a nice area of Fuerteventura, after arriving late and just in time to catch the evening buffet was sent back to my room to put some trouser on like a naughty school boy(which is a joke as I was wearing smart shorts & and a shirt, and it not like it was a posh 5 star restaurant any way) food was not of a very good standard, same food moved around every night with chipped plates and bowls in the restaurant, bad internet, very bad choice of English TV , had a whole week of French news in English & Chinese history channel , no on demand, very tatty mini golf area, tatty bathroom, looking quiet tired in lots of parts around the hotel, poor service at the pool side, and get charged €8 for a large orange juice, is quicker to walk down the road to the supermarket and you can by buy a 6 pack of orange juice for €1.20, good spot and hotel looks nice, but need some attention and service need to be upped massively not what I expected from a 5 star Sheraton hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Paul M
SHERATONFUER, General Manager at Sheraton Fuerteventura Beach, Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience at Tripadvisor. I’m sorry to learn that your holiday with us ticked so many negative boxes. We take note of your constructive points to improve our facilities and I can assure you that this is something we are constantly working on.
From the 60 TV channels, there are 7 in English and the rest is in German, French, Italian, Russian, Spanish, etc. to cover all our clients’ needs.
The freshly squeezed orange juice is certainly more expensive that a normal one, which we offer for 3,50€. There are other soft drinks you can choose from.
With regard to the long trousers policy, there was no intention from our part to offend you. This is the reason, why the dress code is mentioned on our website, on the travel agent fact sheets, in-house information posters and check-in leaflets. We have never doubted that you were looking smart but you certainly understand that we are no fashion policy to judge which short trousers are smart and which are not. To unify the criteria and standard, we have established that only long trousers are permitted for gentlement at dinner. However if you do not wish to change, you can have dinner at the terrace of our a la carte restaurant where this dress code is more flexible.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Caleta de Fuste
#1 of 23 in Caleta de Fuste
Geranios Suites & Spa Hotel
Geranios Suites & Spa Hotel
#7 of 23 in Caleta de Fuste

Been to Sheraton Fuerteventura Beach, Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!