“Fantastic Staff”

Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Caleta de Fuste
Crewe
“Fantastic Staff”
Reviewed 22 February 2010

From the moment we were greeted by Yves on reception, and Aggi the Restaurant Maitre D', we thought the staff at this hotel were as good as we have seen at any loaction.
We are reasonably well travelled, including Hyatt Regency, InterContinental & Crowne Plaza. We expected the Shetaton to be of a similar standard to Crowne Plaza or a Good Quality, European Holiday Inn, but we found some differences. We have listed the things that we think the hotel does well & a very few areas, we think they can do better.
Firstly, we were greeted in arrival with a welcome glass of Chapaigne, and during the check in poroceedure, I explained that as my wife like the sun & I don't we would prefer a room which allowed us the maximum sun time on the balcony. Yves to the time to expalin the path of the sun & booked us in a top floor room with maximum sunlight.
The room was good, although as with all beach resort rooms, the tiled floors allowed noise to travel.
Housekeeping was inconspicuous and thorough.
We were staying on a half bpoard package and found that eating twice a day, with such a large bufet selection was more than enough.
The real delight of this hotel are the resaurant staff. The Maitre D, Aggi is fluent in 6 languages and always manages to greet you in your own. He has the rare knack of being friendly, without overdoing it. He is well supported by a host of multi lingual and helpfull colleagues, all who have the same ability to make you feel welcome.
9/10 times we were offered coffee or wine, within 2 minutes of being seated. We stayed during a UK half term break and found that the buffet changed subtily to accomaodate children. Once the half term was over, the menu reverted to a balance in favour of adult tastes. The meat and fish selection was cooked whilst you wait, and the chef always remembered that my wife likes thing well cooked. Plates are cleared quickly and waiting staff have that magical ability to be descreet, but attentive.
We tried the Asian Themed Wok & Zen Restaurant one night, but as with other reviewers, found it good, but over-priced.
The pool at the hotel is good, with waiter bar service available, but not always easy to attract the attention of. Also, despite the obvious reason for the no glass policy, there's something un-sattisfying about dring €8.50 Cocktails out of plastic beakers.
The hotel is isolated, but when we ventured to nearby resorts, we found enough British Themed pubs, to make us appreciate the isolation.
I am a keen armchair sports fan and found the TV selection to be lacking, although the is a single British Cafe in a nearby shopping centre, which has Sky Sports on at request.
The shoping centre is perfectly located about 200 - 300 yards away and has a nice selection of a supermarket, and boutiques, pluse 2-3 Spanish Cafe Bars, a single UK Cafe Bar and a Burger King.
All in all, we would absolutley recomend this hotel, because of the staff & views.
On the flight out, I read a quote from Nelson Mandella, which said, "People may not remeber what you did, or what you said, but they will always remember the way you made them feel"
Aggi and his colleagues at the Sheraton, made us feel Welcome, special, important, relaxed, & cherished.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (561)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
London
Reviewed 1 February 2010

This is a very pleasant hotel with good sized rooms and very good facilities. The staff are excellent, always friendly and welcoming. The hotel is in a quiet location so don't go if you want anything other than a relaxing holiday. The only complaint is the food was very average (with the exception of the breakfast). The buffet was generally luke warm and the quality was generally poor.

Overall I would recommend if you want a relaxing time but maybe eat out at the local restuarants.

1 Thank ag10051
dublin
Reviewed 20 January 2010

Arrived at hotel at 9pm, and was greeted immediately by concierge, with a two very welcome glasses of bubbly. Check in was extremely efficient, with a very profesional smiley receptionist. Found ourselves in our lovely spacious room 20 mins later and there was a complimentary fruit basket and bottle of water - very nice touch!! Rooms were spotless and there was every toiletry you could imagine - even a razor, toothbrushes and toothpaste. Went for breakfast next morning and foud staff to be extremely pleasant and helpful with the Managers checking if everyone was okay or needed anything. Great selection of food, both hot and cold and there was always a waiter with a bottle of bubbly to go with your fresly squeezed orange juice. The pool area was immaculate with nice soft backround music from clever speakers in the flowerbeds in the shape of rocks. Loved every second of this holiday. The staff are professional, efficient and will go out of their way to make sure you have everything you need. I am counting down the days until we return with the children who have been told all about the pools, kids clubs and mini discos. Right up their street - and if the kids are happy, then mammy and daddy are happy, and thats what you get at the Sheraton Fuerteventura

3 Thank ipodDublin
IOM
Reviewed 10 January 2010

As my partner and I always use Tripadvisor before booking any accomodation I will try and make this review as detailed and as useful to other potential travellers as possible:

We booked with Easyjet holidays (basically a flight and a hotel booked separately not as a 'package'). We booked 'full board' and a 'deluxe' room and we paid £600 each. When we arrived at the hotel, the reception is impressive, clean, modern if somewhat lacking in atmosphere. The check in went smoothly i.e. quick process and friendly staff and we were given a welcome drink. I am not convinced that our room was anything more than a standard room though, so anyone else booking with Easyjet holidays just beware of this.

The standard room however was lovely; with a very good bathroom (see pics). The bed was comfy, the temperature was perfect and there were sufficient english channels available as well as pay per view movies if you wanted them; one movie was €12.00 but you could have access to all movies for a special price of €25 but this was only for 24 hours. The hotel advertises free wifi but I couldn't access it on my ipod touch except in a few areas of the hotel, the bedroom not being one of them but as we were on holiday this wasn't too much of an issue.

The hotel has a games room with a pool table (€2 a game), air hockey games and table tennis, and we spent quite a bit of time in there because there is not much else to do in the hotel. Which I guess brings me onto the evening entertainment; which comprised of a piano player in the lobby bar which was nice and relaxing, although the drinks are expensive.

Okay, now the food. The food, in our experience, was not good, with the exception of the breakfast buffet (because we thought breakfast was very good). With full board, you have access to the evening buffet or you get a €20 credit to eat in one of the a la carte restaurants and at lunchtime you have a €20 credit to the Veranda restaurant. I'll review each individually:

Evening buffet - mediocre. Food quite bland and not always hot enough. Not a vast selection of hot food either. and the desserts somehow all taste the same However on the plus side, you can select what meat you wish to be cooked and you have it cooked to order (on the bad side, the cuts of meat used are not the best), the cold buffet was good, and the bread selection is vast.

Breakfast buffet - good. Champagne, water, tea, coffee, and lots of fruit juices available. Good selection of cold meats and cheeses. Omelettes made to order. Can recommend the spanish tortilla. Tip: ask for the coffee before you want it because it can take a while for you to receive it.

Le Veranda - Far, far, far too expensive for what you get. They are charging top whack and the food is not worth it. On our last day I ordered a fillet steak for lunch and was informed that this would cost me an additional €9 on top of our €20 allowance - something we knew nothing about. As the steak was on the menu for €24, this should have only me €4 but instead it cost me €13, but as it turns out it was more fat than meat and arrived rare (I ordered medium), so I sent it back asking for it to be cooked 'medium; and when it came back it was still rare (not blue as it was before but still rare) and as I cut into it and as the fat overtook the meat I sent it back for good.

How can an organisation such as the Sheraton, a 5 star resort have a chef in a kitchen that does not know the difference between blue, rare and medium? Also, it takes some cheek to serve the cut of fillet they did. Overall, not a good experience either time we ate there. My partner paid €18 for an anchovy salad and when it arrived, it had 2 anchovies..... Anyway moving on and I'm afraid it doesn't get better.

El Faro - food and service not up to the standard set by the prices by a long way. Also, if you're paying €24 for bruscetta (i.e. a slice of bread, with a chopped up tomato and some hard parma ham) do you really want the staff to allow a screaming child to be running up and down the deck by the tables? The staff simply watched and laughed but none of the diners found it amusing. We had to wait 10 minutes to be seated, a further 15 minutes to order our drinks and a further 30 minutes for the poor food to arrive; also bread rolls were cold and stale (instead of being warm and fresh), ham was dried and hard and basically it a very disappointing and expensive experience.

Chinese - nice waiter but disappointing food and again a far too expensive menu for the quality of food being dished out, although we did enjoy the mixed starter plate even though the chicken was chewy and tough.

To summarise, although we're not 'complainers' with one bad meal after another we felt we had no choice but to speak to the management about our experience and in fairness the manager we spoke to, Aggi, was very professional, apologetic and made us feel better about the situation. I am sure that management are aware of the food problems (and have been for some time) and we were told that they are working to make improvements but how quickly that takes to materialise will be evident from future reviews.

There is not much to do around the hotel but there is a shopping centre with a cinema (which only shows movies in Spanish) and a bowling alley (€6 per person per game) and some shops including a supermarket.

If you would like to know anything more please feel free to email me.

2 Thank KellyIom
London
Reviewed 8 January 2010

Good size rooms if thats all you want. Service poor, food quality poor, Room cleanliness average but never replaced all the guest toiletries. Hotel seemed very understaffed. New Years eve was a disaster and poorly planned for the guests and was very dull.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank Ron052
Mayo
Reviewed 31 December 2009

Wow, what can I say. It was totally amazing. We booked the hotel and flights separately (didn't use a tour group). Hotel is about 10 - 15 minutes from the Airport by taxi. The taxi cost about 12Euros. There were 4 of us in our party. Myself, my husband, our 12 year old son and our 4 year old daughter. We didn't have to pay for the kids as children 12 and under are free.
We were greeted at the door by the porter who took our bags for us and as we checked into the hotel we were given champagne and the kids received a non alcoholic cocktail. The staff were very pleasant. The receptionist spoke to my 4yr old daughter and explained all about the kids club (which is the best I have ever seen in any of my travels).
We then headed to our room and what can I say but it was fantastic. Very spacious. All of the rooms have a balcony or terrace which face onto the pool/ocean. The en-suite facilities are huge. I loved the idea that the shower/bathroom is separate from the toilet and bidet meaning I could have a relaxing bath while the kids were free to use the toilet without bothering mommy.
I was disappointed however to see that they didn't have the extra beds in the room when we arrived and the porter noticed it also when he delivered the bags and said he would tell housekeeping. After waiting for 20 minutes my husband went up to reception to see when they would be at our room as our flight had been delayed and I wanted to get the kids into bed. When they did arrive we had to do some rearranging of the furniture to get them in, I do think this should have been done before we got there.
The kids were hungry so I was just going to order up some room service but with the surcharge for room service, one ham and cheese sandwich would have set me back €22 Euro. Just a tad expensive if you ask me. My husband went out to a shopping center we had seen on route and picked up something for them instead. Needless to say I wasn't going to be using room-service. I decided to make myself a cup of coffee but noticed a price list and this too had to be paid for. €3.50 for a cup of coffee I had to make myself.
The following morning we went down to breakfast which was included in our stay. Wow, everything you could wish for breakfast was there. Plenty for the kids to choose from also. Breakfast is served from 8am to 10.30am and no matter what time you arrive there is enough food to choose from and if you are so inclined that you want champagne with your breakfast that's there for you too.
After breakfast we headed over to Yambaland, the kids club. They have a cute playground on-site near the kids club. You could also play football and tennis. Yambaland is for kids up to age 12 but we found that for our 12 year old son it was really too young for him. Maybe in the summer months when the hotel is busier it would be fine but there weren't any kids his age there. Our daughter would have stayed there the whole time if we let her. The staff here are amazing with the kids. It is open from 10am to 7pm. Lunch is from 1 to 1.30pm. You can book the kids in for lunch if you want. There are some evenings the club put on a movie for the children and this is from 6.30 to 7.30 and every evening there is a mini disco for them from 7.30 to 8.30ish. They get popcorn at the movie also. The care and attention our daughter received the few times she stayed in the club was fantastic. They really are top notch. The best I've ever seen.
There is access to the beach through a locked gate at the end of the garden. You buzz out and use your room key to get back in. The beach is really nice here. All along they have breakwaters so the ocean is like a big swimming pool. No rough waves for the little ones to fall over in. There is a little bridge out to a small bar/coffee shop and along the way you can see people feeding bread to the fish. My kids loved that part.
Back at the hotel they have 4 outdoor swimming pools. One for the kids (heated) and three others. One very cold but the top pool is heated and has a jacuzzi. This pool overflows into the next one so that pool is semi heated. There were plenty of beds and permanent shaded areas ( no charge for using any of those) and the hotel provides you with clean towels everyday for use by the pool, one per guest. There are also 2 bathrobes in your room that alot of people used by the pool also.
I didn't get to use the spa while I was there so I can't comment on that, but, the price list didn't seem any dearer than in Ireland and as the title of my review says I am planning on going back again with my husband in August for our Anniversary and I fully intend on using the spa facilities then. We didn't eat at the hotel other than at breakfast as I thought the prices for all the restaurants were a bit on the expensive side so I can't comment on those either.
Shopping and nightlife near the hotel is ok. It is situated in a residential area so there is not as much as if you were in a resort. This suited us though. There is a little shopping centre near the hotel. If you go out the back gate towards the beach and turn right it's only a five minute walk. There is a Spar supermarket here. It has everything you need. There is a great shoe shop there also and some clothing stores, jewelery shops, a toy shop, sports shop, phone shop. Down stairs there is a bowling area and games area and a mini casino area. To eat there is a place similar to Abarakababra, The Ocean View bar which has some evening entertainment and also shows the football matches and there is also a tapas bar and a Burger King. Accross the road there is a McDonalds.
If you go to the left when you leave the hotel you will have to leave the path and cross a sandy and bumpy walkway across to the Castillo area where there are alot more restaurants, bars and shops of a touristy nature.
My only complaints about the hotel would be the beds for the kids should have been there when we arrived, complimentary tea and coffee in the rooms would be a nice touch and as a 5* hotel I would have thought there should be a shuttle bus to the airport for pick up and departure.
All and all we had a fantastic time at the hotel and are looking forward to returning again soon. If you have young children this is definately the hotel for you or couples without children will love it too. The attention you receive here is fantastic. The staff are amazing and will do everything to make your stay enjoyable.

Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
7 Thank galwaygirlMayo
United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 December 2009

As you read this - bear in mind you can only take this as a guide. Some of the reviews I read before going made me very unsure of choosing this hotel, others plus photos and the Sheraton brand made me think a few bad reviews need to be taken in context.
So here goes my experience.
Hotel - by far the best in the area. It has a Spanish resort theme - and none of the horrendous plastic chairs most balconies in the area seemed to sport.
Cleanliness, stunning. Staff, extremely friendly. Pools, heated for winter. (altho that god awful yellow fake rock really needs sorting).
We went end of November, beginning of December, so knew the hotel would be quiet. We also knew this would mean a few less facilities available. So if you go in the lowest of low seasons and pay low prices, don't expect EVERY restaurant to be open EVERY night, don't expect the hotel to be teeming with people. I would say about a 1/3 of the hotel was closed off (but this was only one wing which didn't affect us).. It also meant everyone in the hotel seemed to get a great room - ours was facing the ocean across the pool, and gave us about 5 hours of direct sunlight on the balcony each day.
Don't go to Fuert. expecting gorgeous scenery, it's built on black volcanic rock - the waters however are that gorgeous light blue, and the beaches (most) are white or golden sands.
The hotel is clearly very new, the staff speak Spanish, German and English very competently, you feel safe, you feel like they are there to make your stay as enjoyable as they can. (the look of hurt & confusion when I dared ask if my bag would be brought up quickly by the porter as I left reception made me realise quickly what type of people I was dealing with).
Downsides - I would say do not forget Fuerteventura is known as the windy island - this is really the case in the afternoons, and in winter I'd say the winds aren't exactly as welcome as you would find them in summer. Internet - paid about £8 for internet - the wifi didn't even reach the room, and struggled to find anywhere in the hotel with a good signal. This needs fixing people!
The gardens do seem a little sparse in places with the black volcanic gravel amongst the plants (but having travelled quite a few places around the island - this is the general norm). Also having lived in a desertlike climate for a lot of my life - I also accept that lush green gardens in a desert climate in a high windy area, whilst in drought, isn't actually the best solution. I say, accept where you are going - it will be different to what you are used to (don't get me wrong - there is a hell of a lot of greenery around).
Prices - we did full board which included breakfast - full buffet. Lunch at the poolside bar (to be fair paying 18euro for a chicken BLT and salad is OTT, but it's a Sheraton, and if you are full inclusive, it's included.
Didn't try the other restaurants, because the Thai menu was a bit dissapointing for the price, and in a summer atmosphere, we were quite happy with the huge array of salads.
Yep - someone needs to learn to keep the heaters up a little higher ( I do wonder if they just keep everything the same temp across the year and don't realise it cools down in winter a little quicker than they realise).
That said, the seafood is definately the pick of the buffet - prawns and scallops were there most evenings.
If you are english - bear in mind the hotel is more frequented by German and Spanish tourists than folks from the UK, so the diversity of the buffet reflects this. ( I personally loved this, and truly did cringe when walking past other hotels and villas and pubs in town noticing people swilling British beer from cans in their own little patches of home).
Visited the spa for a massage, yep it's a little pricey - but they are spa prices, again people and atmosphere was lovely.
To sum up - it's quiet, it's very relaxed feeling, the area surrounding isn't "stunning".. but it's warm, the beaches are lovely - and if the hotel was sitting in somewhere like Australia or the U.S I'd expect to have paid about £250 - £300 a night for room (let alone food). Yet we paid about £100.

• Stayed November 2009
#1 of 23 in Caleta de Fuste
Geranios Suites & Spa Hotel
Geranios Suites & Spa Hotel
#7 of 23 in Caleta de Fuste

Been to Sheraton Fuerteventura Beach, Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!