“Rarely do I use the words "gourmet" and "traditional" in the same review”
Review of Irinis Taverna

Irinis Taverna
Ranked #42 of 123 Restaurants in Kamari
Price range: US$30 - US$100
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Enjoy the traditional dishes of Santorini, unique Greek recipes, local wine, fresh fish and fresh seafood. Since 1965 we offer to the visitors of Santorini unique traditional recipes and Greek dishes prepared with the best local products and great experience. The Café - Restaurant "Irini's" in Kamari is one of the first restaurants in the area and is famous for its traditional home recipes of Mrs. Irini, which will become your favorite traditional Greek seaside Tavern in Santorini island in Greece.
Dusseldorf, Germany
“Rarely do I use the words "gourmet" and "traditional" in the same review”
Reviewed 29 November 2013

First I must say I would describe the cuisine as Greek more than Italian. That being said, over a 16 day trip through the Greek Islands (Cyclades), this was by far our favorite restaurant. We returned for an encore meal the next day even with tons of other restaurants in Naxos to choose from. Were were a table of 6 and started with a Naxos salad, stuffed spicy eggplant, and an order of the meatballs. The salad was enormous and a lovely blend of fresh, crunchy cukes, juicy tomatoes, creamy goat cheese, crisp peppers and onions, topped with a splash of local olive oil. The meatballs were made of the best meat I have eaten in the past 2 years. The were perfectly seasoned, tender and mouthwatering. In the stuffed eggplant, no one ingredient stood out as it was a perfect balance, flavorful and with a lovely texture. We decided, based on the large portions not to order 6 mains, but instead ordered 3. We continued with a lovely and delicate grilled dorado, a highly flavorful, tender Naxos lamb, and an order of stuffed pastry. This was a deep fried surprise of a warm, oozing filling of seasoned cheese and tomatoes. Not a big deep fried fan, I have to say this was worth every bite. Of course, in the tradition of wonderful Greek service, we were brought milk pie and apples with cinnamon and honey along with lemoncello on the house when we asked for the check. The simple, magical combination on the crisp apples was perfect. The milk pie was a treat above all. It might be a good thing that we don't live near by or the luscious milk pie might become a staple in my diet! Outrageously perfect after a meal filled with an array of wonderful and varied flavors. The next day for lunch we repeated several of the items listed above but also added the codfish coquilles, which I would describe as fish cakes, rich with fresh dill. I am glad we had them as they were unique and tasty, but the other items we had stood out compared to them. The restaurant is family run. The son that waited on us could not have been any nicer! Will certainly return to Irini's. It's not to be missed! (and has a lovely view of the waterfront to boot).

• Visited October 2013

• Greek first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely food and great service”
Reviewed 19 September 2013

I can't believe the two reviews below because we thought Irini's was fabulous. The waiters were all really good without being pushy and the food was great, especially the chicken with potatoes and the lamb chops greek-style. Madame Irini sits on the terrace surveying everything. The remark about the garlic bread below is very petty, especially as all the restaurants we ate in in Kamari had the same type of garlic bread, just different from usual. Also, all the waiters in Kamari stand outside trying to pull you into their restaurant, Irini's did it much less than others. You can hear the waves lapping beside your table, eat lovely food, and drink Santorini wine served by nice people. Thank you Irini!

Seaford, United Kingdom
“Ok”
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Tried here one night and the food was nice and the service good but there seemed to be no attempt to ensure that you would go back again.This restaurant and one other were the only ones not to offer us free drinks or deserts and we found that to be a little strange.

The price of the meal was very good

Navan, Ireland
“Irinis, Kamari, Santorini”
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Easy enough to find if you just head for the beach & get on the waterfront heading towards the mountain. Just when you think you have run out of restaurants it suddenly appears. Established 1965 they advertise so I thought they must be doing something right. Extensive menu choice catering for all types. Waiters were appropriately smart but gushingly false & whilst I waited for my drinks I couldn't help notice how they were all angling for custom as people passed by. Shortly after my wine & water arrived so did my starter. I ordered fish soup boullion & in addition I ordered garlic bread. The garlic bread was just like french crusty bread with a smear of garlic butter on. Not even warm enough to melt the smeared butter! The fish soup was only ok, but maybe I've been spoilt eating coddle in Dublin! As not many people about, it appeared they wanted to keep bums on seats as long as possible so the wait in between courses was too excessive for my liking. Main course was fried anchovies. arrived nice & hot freshly done but devoid of any taste whatsoever. I'm convinced if you were blindfolded & tasted these you wouldn't have a clue what they were. Not disillusioned & still being hungry I then ordered lamb kleftiko. This arrived in a hot dish & smelt lovely. It only consisted of six pieces of cubed/diced meat but was tender & cooked to perfection. The remainder of the dish was a doubling of the meat total in cubed potato. Feeling a bit let down I decided against a desert, paid the bill & left. Overall could only describe as ok, but for me ok is not enough anymore.

Hull, England
“Fabulous find”
Reviewed 17 August 2013 via mobile

We have recently returned from 3 weeks in Kamari and found Irinis on our first day and were very pleased we had done. We ate here 4/5 times and each time we had delicious food. We sampled the souvlaki, moussaka, lamb kleftiko, lamb in lemon and numerous starters. Each dish was really authentic and so tasty. The staff were all so friendly and welcoming and it was a pleasure to eat here. On our last evening in Kamari during a massive power cut when other restaurants were not serving a big selection of food, Irinis went out of their way to provide a big choice and the waiters were on good form making sure each table was looked after providing paraffin lamps for everyone. The location of the restaurant is perfect at the quieter end of Kamari with nice views over th sea and the rock. Definitely worth eating here.

• Visited August 2013