“relaxed summer”

Ranked #37 of 75 Hotels in Kamari
Wiesbaden, Germany
“relaxed summer”
Reviewed 6 September 2013

we stayed their for one week (end aug - begin sep) and liked it because it takes maybe 5 minutes by food to the beach. the advantage of this hotel is that it is close to the beach and the small city (shops, pubs, restaurants) but far away enough to be away from noise.
most of the staff speeks english fluently.
there are severall smaller and larger pools spread over the area and the whole hotel seems to be quite small although it has more than 40 rooms.

note that this hotel (as kamari in general) is situated at the backside of the volcanic mountain on santorini. the famous sunset can only be seen on the other site of the island (oiya, imerovigli, thira) - but there are no beaches and you can reach these cities easily by local bus etc.

Room Tip: try to get a room with an own jacuzzi or one of the rooms in the first row. the rooms (guess 603-608...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 27 August 2013

We recently stayed at this hotel and we were, for the most part, extremely happy with our holiday. We booked bed and breakfast which was perfect for us as we like to try out different restaurants. On the first evening we went to a restaurant called Hook, which is on the seafront. I would not recommend their seafood platter for two, it was cold, reheated and dry, it was so awful I had to complain. Other than that all the food that we ate in Santorini was absolutely delicious.
The hotel was up a slight hill, and not a hike as described but some people on this site. It was located a five minutes walk from the seafront, which meant it was quiet and peaceful.
We hired a quad bike, an experience I do not wish to repeat (it wasn't for me), but other people loved it. We went on few excursions, which can be booked at the reception. I recommend the tour of the Greek villages, slightly off the beaten track but great.

Zagreb, Croatia
Reviewed 24 August 2013 via mobile

You can get anything from a poor (no water in the toilet and horrible smell from the plummings) to an excelent room for the same price. The best thing is a bar and Mitke, great coctail chef working there around the clock) and beautiful clean pool. Other staff is kind and helpfull, but not trained and lacking authority to dealling with problems. Food is average to poor, lacking Greak dishes, imagination, often undercooked or overdone. We recommend taking b&b (breakfast is for 1* hotel though) and eating in one of many delicious nearby restaurants in Kamari.
Way to the hotel is steap and sunny and is not recommended for those with heart condition or those who just dislike hiking up the hill.

• Stayed August 2013
London
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Just got back from Antinea yesterday and thought I'd forward a review. A few niggles first. Our aircon worked but didn't appear to go above the lowest speed. Not a big problem as there was generally a breeze up there so opening the door and windows did the trick most of the time. The bath can be quite slippery so you may well need to use the handrail part of the soap-dish to stop yourself slipping. Finally, my wife said the hair-drier got very hot to hold quite quickly and she has fairly short hair. Niggles over.
The room was attended to every day and seemed very clean. The general areas of all the hotel actually seemed very clean and tidy.
The staff, from reception, breakfast, bar and cleaning staff appeared very polite and helpful.
We were in a basic room (607) on bed & breakfast and overall I was very pleased with the range of breakfast food although I'm not sure about the scrambled egg. There was a good range of both hot and cold food. I thought the greek yoghurt was possibly the best I had ever had as it was thick and creamy. The honey was kept in a quaint pourer. There was a large bowl of fresh fruit which although not replenished daily, offered a good range.
Take your cup from the table to get yourself coffee from a machine; push the button and a set amount is dispensed. I found the milk tasted slightly different so I only used a little bit.
As a general point, be careful as you are walking as there are steps up and down where you may not expect them especially if you are talking to someone. I wasn't the only one who nearly went flying at the small 'step' as you go into the buffet area, just where you give them your room number. Be aware of it. None of this takes anything away from a lovely hotel. I'm glad I didn't go for a Jacuzzi room. They didn't seem very private and I doubt if I would have used it much.
The hill to the hotel does take it out of you and we were always pleased to have made it but we also liked the exercise. If you have health problems though, this may not be the place for you.
I found the internet worked best in the reception area. No chance in or around my room although we were far away from the reception area.
Just a few general points about Kamari. Save money by using the beds and umbrellas at 'The Hook Bar' which are free if you use their bar/restaurant. We paid 8eu for the beds on our first day but by using 'Hook' that covered two large beers or a chicken gyros which was lovely (including chips) and they are happy to serve it up one between two which was ideal for us. The girls there are very friendly too. Look out for the dog in sunglasses on the motorbike!
As you get to the bottom of the hill from Antinea, the right turn there can be very steep and slippery if you have leather soled shoes.
We found the restaurant 'Honey & Thyme' (or something similar) was excellent. The staff were very good and they are very proud of their organic red wine which I have to say was very good. They give you bread and a few dips and as the portions are large, you may not need a starter.
Finally a little tip for your return flight. We were on Easyjet and had to queue for some time to book our case in. Once you book the case in, don't hang about in the airport cos there isn't much to do so we went over to the bar/cafe over the road. I logged on to Easyjet using the bars' wireless network and they said the flight was still on time - but it wasn't and there was an hours delay as it got in late. We could have had another drink instead of waiting to get news of the flight.
I hope this helps. We had a great time in Kamari and found the Albatross bar a good late night haunt.

Room Tip: Depends what you want. We were happy with a basic room.
1 Thank muppet3
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2013

This is a lovely hotel. The staff are superb and standards of cleanliness are excellent. With the pretty environment and good food, I would definitely recommend this hotel. I believe that only 3 rooms are suites though and these are the most expensive rooms .The rest are large hotel rooms with a sofa not suites. The same applies to rooms with Jacuzzi in the bedroom. We were upgraded from a junior suite to a junior suite with an outside Jacuzzi but honestly, I think all the rooms have a Jacuzzi or pool. As such, the rooms are overpriced. It's a shame because it's a great place.

Room Tip: Only the most expensive suites are actually suites - be sure to get a price which reflect this
Countesthorpe
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Last year i reviewed the Epavlis hotel in Kamari, Antinea is located almost next door and i have to say, a complete difference in rooms, attention to detail, environment, and the greeting i received was warm and welcoming. The hotel Manageress even paid me a visit by the pool and asked how my check was, and was my room up to standard. The hotel is located beneath the elegant giant historical mountain which divides Kamari and Perissa.
Santorini is known for its amazing sunsets, but the sunrise view from my hotel room was breathtaking. I would highly recommend a stay at this beautiful hotel, an amazing outdoor Jacuzzi, a great selection at breakfast... you wont be disappointed. Thank you Darryl Clarke

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank DC98
Tamworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2013

We were given a wonderful room with an outdoor jacuzzi which was fantastic. I thought the backdrop of the mountain behind the hotel was just breathtaking, and one of the highlights of my stay was looking up at the rockface as I was drinking my early morning cup of tea.

Breakfast was buffet style, and there was lots of choice. Dinner was usually a mixture of local and european dishes, but once again there was alot to choose from. All of the staff seemed courteous and polite, eager to assist and always smiling.

Room Tip: Very well situated on a hill above the hustle and bustle of Kamari
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple