“Beautiful Hotel Near the Kamari Beach”
Review of Hotel Matina

Hotel Matina
Ranked #18 of 75 Hotels in Kamari
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 21 November 2011

This hotel was small, but quaint and clean. The views from the rooms are not like the website (www.hotel-matina.com) makes them appear. There really are no ocean views. But, it is just a short walk to the Kamari Beach (which is a fantastic beach) The owners were very nice. The breakfast was filling and the food was good. It is a long bus ride to the other side of the island where all the action is. So, you will have to pay the bus fair to and from the other side of the island each time. The archaeology attractions were pretty much all closed when I was there. So, three nights may have been to many for this island adventure.

Room Tip: I'm sure any room would be a good choice for this hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo

Reviewed 7 November 2011

We spend 3 nigths in October in this wonderful place. The room was very nice and the most importan very clean. The breakfast was great with different choices. I love greek yougurt and they have some homemade tradicional greek pastries, very yummy!
The staff was friendly and available, all the time! The beach is two minutes walk and they have some very nice restaurants close by.
I just want to say thank you to make our days in Santorini so confortable and specials.
We will be back!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 November 2011

I stayed at the property with my son and wife where I was pleasantly surprised by the value for my stay. I loved the location and accomadations. I was walking distance to the beach and town of Kamari. The staff was great and served a great breakfast inclusive daily with fresh fruit, pancakes, eggs and cereal; among other food. I enjoyed a cup of cappucino and internet access. The location was in a more quiet part of Kamari as to get quiet nights for sleep but close to some great attractions( Ancient Thira) and Koutsogianopoulos winery. Great ruins on top of ancient Thira with great view . The white wines were great ; I bought quite a few bottles home and the port wine which was very good and had a unique flavor as it was not too sweet at all. Clean pool on the property with bar.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 October 2011

We stayed at the Matina in June 2011 and I would definitely recommend this hotel. Great service from the airport pickup by the friendly owner to the lovely room and fabulous breakfast homecooked by the family every day, with something a little different each day. we particularly liked that the buffet was replenished throughout the morning with freshly cooked items so even if you were late to breakfast you still got nice food.
The hotel is set back from the beach - 5 minutes walk from the promenade on the front, and only a minute or two walk from the supermarket.
The pool is lovely and has a poolside bar which serves nice food for lunch. they also play nice music - not too loud to spoil your relaxing time, but just nice to give a bit of atmosphere.
This was a lovely family run hotel. They even obliged me by speaking Greek with me - my Greek isn'ty perfect but I don't get a lot of chance to practice!
They also have a lovely friendly dog on site.
I'd definitely recommmend this little gem.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 September 2011

We have just returned from having our wedding in santorini and we stayed in matina hotel with our family and friends.We want to say a very big THANKYOU to ALL the staff who all made our stay and wedding so special!! What lovely people they all are. We could not fault our weeks stay there and we will DEFINATELY look forward to coming back next year. All Our Love Paula and John from Liverpool xx

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank littlelegs13
Reviewed 21 September 2011

Stunning beautiful and friendly the owner is called vangellis he knows everyone and everything about the whole place he'll even organise a trip for you

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed 14 September 2011

This is a basic three star family run hotel. My room was a twin, pretty small coupled with small beds. If you're after classy decor skip this place; rooms very dated. My room overlooked some waste ground. When I arrived the plastic balcony furniture was in the room - I carried it out - barely enough room for them. The shower would not hold a constant temperature - alternating between hot and cold and there was a random jet of water going off in another direction. The hotel is not on the beach front which is probably a good thing in that it's a strip and the Greek equivalent to Benidorm. The pool area looked pretty nice - I didn't use it though - too busy. Note that the sun disappears behind the mountain circa 5pm. Breakfast was average. The hotel is fine but I don't really get the "glowing" reports below. I paid €69 per night for the room.
Kamari beach is what it is - the black gravel "beach" resembles a temporary car park surface, difficult to actually get into the sea - you have to wear water shoes to avoid cutting your feet and pretty dirty. The shops/restaurants with a few exceptions were the height of tackiness. I only stayed for a few days; Fira and Oia are spectacularly set and these towns are Santorini. They are however so overrun with tourist droves, with visiting cruise ships massively adding to the numbers, that on the one hand it's nice to actually escape back to the beach. If you are only spending a couple of nights in Santorini I would recommend staying in Oia in one of the hotels built into the cliff. You will pay for it though but on balance it would be worth it.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Feliciafeliz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kamari
0 mi away
#7 of 75 in Kamari
Epavlis Hotel
Epavlis Hotel
#36 of 75 in Kamari

Been to Hotel Matina? Share your experiences!