“Fabulous hotel - real value for money”
Review of Rose Bay Hotel

Rose Bay Hotel
Ranked #25 of 75 Hotels in Kamari
London, United Kingdom
“Fabulous hotel - real value for money”
Reviewed 21 July 2011

We had a couple of hotels to choose from, but I'm glad we went with the Rose Bay Hotel in the end... it was great value for money. Very clean and modern apartments and facilities. The pool area was lovely, with a great pool bar serving great cocktails with happy hour running 5pm-11pm - the hotel bar area is very quiet in the evenings though as most people tend to go out to the bars & restaurants along the beach. The hotel restaurant was very good too - breakfast is included and was served 7am-10am every morning - there was a great range of continental breakfast items as well as bacon, eggs, sausages etc. The bedrooms have air conditioning, which although it is meant to switch off when you take your key card out upon leaving - we just popped in another plastic card from our wallets in order to keep it on while we were out - this made all the difference to come back in from the hot sun and be able to cool down immediately. The hotel provide towels and sunloungers by the pool free of charge, free internet access via a computer located just off reception (we found this very useful for checking our emails etc each day) - I believe they also have free wireless available, and for 40 euros they gave us an evening check out as we had a night flight and wanted to be able to use the room all day. All of the staff were very friendly and efficient.

The only thing that some people might see as a negative, is that the hotel is right under the flight path and fairly close to the airport - so the planes would fly just overhead when you are out sunbathing by the pool... I actually quite enjoyed seeing them up so close and the noise didn't bother me at all - it was only very brief and not frequent enough to become bothersome.

The Rose Bay hotel is just off the top of the main strip along the beach in Kamari - a 1 minute walk will bring you onto the main strip where there are lots of great restaurants/bars. The entire strip takes about 15/20 minutes to walk approx (without stopping) with great views of the sea. The beach is lovely, though very stony, so beach shoes of sort sort are required... there are lots of sunloungers for hire along the beach, but we just lounged at our hotel pool every day.

Good restaurants include Nichteri and the Italian beside it who's name I can't remember (that was our favourite), Ya mas and El Greco Taverna are also very good. There is live music in a couple of the bars throughout the week - Albatross and Ethnic... in fact they were probably our favourite bars in Kamari. If you want to party then Kamari is probably not for you - it has some lovely chilled out restaurants and bars, but isn't a party resort - its fairly quiet with a mix of nationalities. Coming from London we actually expected to see a lot of British people while on holiday - as is generally the case with most popular European resorts - Santorini seems to be one of the few exceptions, we saw very few Brits while there - it was a refreshing change to have a good mix of locals and other nationalities. We did go to the capital Thira on a couple of occasions to browse the little shops and take in the amazing views from the cliffside bars/restaurants. Thira is more of a party resort with lots of bars and clubs, but also has a lot of beautiful scenery... definitely worth visiting Thira while in Santorini for the views alone. It was 12 euros in a cab from Kamari to Thira.

Overall Kamari is a very chilled out resort which would be perfect for those seeking a relaxing holiday, and especially for couples... and the Rose Bay Hotel was definitely one of the best hotels in the resort - I didn't see any other hotel that I thought looked better.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank pinkpenelope

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Greek first
Oyama, Canada
Reviewed 6 July 2011

We had a tough time deciding to either stay overlooking the Caldera and paying way more or staying by the beach and paying less. We made a great choice as this is a very nice hotel with a great location basically next to the water, I guess 1 block away from beach and nice beach walk way in front of the town of Kamari. The sun rises on this side and was very beautiful. Great service, a great rate, and great accomodation. We rented a car and drove up to Thira etc to shop/view the Caldera which is fabulous. Driving around is recommended, lot's to see and we found easy to drive. I am having a tough time thinking of what we least liked, I think leaving was the least liked, this hotel set a high standard for the rest of our 3 island stay, as this was our first stop. We would stay here again for sure and highly recommend.

Room Tip: we had a room with a loft which was very nice and we would recommend if possible.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rjames43
Sydney
Reviewed 1 June 2011

Great pool and bar area, close to beach but at the far northern end of Kamari Beach. 10minute walk to bus stop. Reception and breakfast serving staff very obliging, helpful and friendly, nothing too much bother for them. Rooms fairly simple, there had been a renovation done but appeared to be done on the cheap. No carpet in the rooms or hallways means you get alot of echoing of noise. You do get aircraft noise during the day, which didn't bother us as much as the noisy cleaners who woke us up every morning by screaming at each other in the hallway, whilst pushing cleaning trolleys up and down the hallway.
We were a little cautious about staying in Kamari instead of Fira, but in hindsight we were thankful that we did pick Kamari. We found Kamari to be much better value for money, close to the beach at sea level, much better options for food, and better equipped for travellers with suitcases. Fira is only 15min away by regular public buses.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2011

Were moved to the Rose Bay after a terrible one nights stay in the Kamari Beach... We were staying in Kamari for 6 nights. The hotel was great, lovely pool, comfortable sunloungers and first class staff, especially Elena & Adrianna. We stayed in a maisonette at the back of the hotel which had a bathroom with bath on the ground floor, sitting area and TV. On the first floor was a double bed, ensuite shower room and built in wardrobe. We also had a large balcony with table & two chairs. Breakfast was great and most days we had a snack lunch which was very enjoyable and good value. The Rose Bay is only 2 mins walk to the main strip. We lay by the pool everyday and found the hotel very relaxing. We would definitely return. Kamari is on the flight path so you will hear approaching planes, but it didn't annoy us

Room Tip: Definitely consider the maisonette option
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank adrianne61
Mantua, NJ
Reviewed 25 February 2011

This place was ok. The pool and pool area were very nice and clean. It has a great little market right next to it where you can pick up cheap beer and snacks to stock your room with. The rooms were interesting. We stayed in their Masonette room. Check it out on their website. It's two stories. It kind of felt like we were staying in a life size doll house. I'm 6'2'' so it was a bit hard to maneuver in the room. The room was clean and we only smelled the famous Santorini volcanic sulfer a bit. You get used to it. If landing airplanes drive you crazy then look elsewhere on the Island. Kamari is right under the flight path of landing planes. We kind of liked it though and the town at night was really cool. The outside bar staff were very nice and friendly. I thought both of the receptionists I came across, one man and one women, were a tad on the miserable side. They offered little to no information and barely made eye contact with me. When we arrived we both noted we felt unwelcome when we got to our room. We got the woman upon arrival. I asked the man, later in the day, where was good to go eat at and he looked at me like I had 5 heads and told me he wasn't from the area. Maybe I just caught them on a bad day but it was definitely a downside to our stay.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Norway
Reviewed 21 November 2010

Prebooked 1 of 4 best rooms with poolview and balcony incl longest suntime in the evening. Staff from poolbar very lovely and more than willing to bring drinks(wine,coffee, food) to balcony. Had NEW pool for ourself almost all day. Beach just ok, but Nice new pool and poolbar won. Good bus communication to Fira. Market/Restaurants very close by. Hotel breakfast ok. Gym was a disaster. Hotel should not bother offering gym as hotel fascillities. Gym was the only negative, besides lack of spa.Free WiFi rooms/pool. Recommended.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 October 2010

I am satisfied with my stay in this hotel during my holiday, but one thing I would really want to complain is that, I asked the staff if they could send out the post cards for us and the staff said yes, but sadly me and my friends never received the post cards, there are 6-7 postcards, so I am quite sure that they didn't send them out... maybe the postcards just ended up in the bin!!!!!!! If they just won't send the postcards out, why wouldnt they just not promise me. This is making a bad ending to my wonderful trip!!!!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends