“Great hotel - very friendly staff.”
Review of Tamarix del Mar

Tamarix del Mar
Ranked #11 of 75 Hotels in Kamari
Stavanger, Norway
“Great hotel - very friendly staff.”
Reviewed 16 August 2012

We enjoyed 3 nights at the Tamarix in July this year. I have only good things to say - the pool area is lovely, the room was spacious, with good aircon. The breakfast was good and the staff were wonderful. So friendly and helpful, always smiling. We asked for an upgrade, but as the hotel was full, we were offered to stay 4 nights at the Avianto Suites in Imerovigli. We accecpted the offer, and we didn't regret it. The views were just spectacular and it was nice to see both sides of the island. I would be happy to come back to the Tamarix and its relaxed atmosphere!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Greek first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2012

We just got back from Tamarix Del Mar really nice hotel, good location near to the beach area, with bars, restuarants and shops but nice and quiet once in the hotel. The hotel has only 25 rooms, we booked two rooms, from that the junior suite they upgraded without fuss so it was next door to our other room - which was nice of the mangagement. The rooms were both spacious in duplex format, small kitchenette nice lounge area, one with outdoor jacuzzi and other with hottub on the roof terrace. The hotel swimming pool was nice we had no problems with sunbeds. Breakfast was generous with mixture of hot / cold buffet and fruits. The staff are really friendly and helpful, with being a small boutique style hotel you get to know them really well, in that they were able to arrange late check out for one of the room which was convienant for us. This is our first visti to Santorini the island is beautiful, would definatly visit again and stay at the Tamarix Del Mar purely for location, friendly staff and peace and quiet.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank stevieboyt
UK
Reviewed 27 July 2012

We arrived and were shown to our room which looked amazing. Without any fuss we had been upgraded from the Junior suite we had booked to their top suite. We only worked out later that we had actually been upgraded, the staff just did what was needed, without looking for praise!

My first visit to Santorini, but on reflection Kamari was the best location on the island, with Fira and Oia both far to busy at times but very easy to access by bus from Kamari.

The Tamarix was perfectly situated near all the action, but quiet, a fine combination.

Room Tip: Only 26 suites, all different, all looked good. Go for an outside jacuzzi if you can get one!
3 Thank Tardibig
Greece
Reviewed 26 July 2012

just returned from an amazing holiday at Tamarix Del Mar where we had a 2 week holiday and got married while in Santorini.

The hotel staff were so helpful from start to finish, even any requests we had prior to our stay I just emailed the hotel and within hours I got a reply and they went out of their way to fulfil any requirements we had, they upgraded us to the best available suite, they looked after my wedding dress for me, left us wine in our room, the night of the wedding they dressed the room with rose petals, balloons and left us champagne, the list goes on!

The first room we stayed in was a superior suite room 111, it was beautiful, spacious with a kitchen / living room, separate bedroom area, a large bathroom, large terrace and private outdoor jacuzzi which was brilliant, the sun was on the terrace from around 1pm too so was great to have our own private area during the afternoon, the rooms were cleaned everyday by the very friendly cleaning staff,

During our second week as a present the hotel sent us to Fira for 2 nights, which was a lovely surprise, we had an amazing time, however 2 nights in Fira was enough for us, as it's very busy and a lot more expensive than Kamari.

When we came back to Tamarix we had to move rooms, which I was a little disappointed about as we really liked room 111, they moved us initially to room 303, nice room but after being in room 111 for over a week I didn't like this room, the air con was old and it wasn't worth the money we paid for the holiday, so we asked if we could be moved to which the staff had no problems with.

We were moved to room 210 which was a luxury maisonette, again if we hadn't been in room 111 I would have been more than happy with this room, however it was much better than room 303 so we didn't asked to be moved again.

Room 210 had a kitchen, living and bedroom area as you walk in with a double bed, a large bathroom with bath/shower (ant problem in here) and a separate smaller bathroom with a shower, upstairs 3 single beds and a private jacuzzi on the roof, however this jacuzzi was a little dirtier than the one in room 111 so we didn't really go in it, it also had a spacious balcony over looking the pool.

The breakfast was better than any bed and breakfast hotel I've ever stayed in with a huge selection, very happy with the breakfast, no grumbles and the breakfast room was lovely, when we first arrived we thought this must have been the room where they have the wedding meals but turned out it was the breakfast room! The staff in the breakfast room were also lovely.

Kamari itself is just great, the only downside is the restaurant touting, I understand that the restaurants need to get customers in but 1 or 2 of the restaurants were greedy and wanted you in again and again, give other restaurants a chance! That is the only negative I have about Kamari as it is a beautiful place, very laid back with lots of bars and restaurants to choose from, yes the airport is very close to this resort and yes aeroplanes fly over low down, but it's not a big airport so aeroplanes aren't flying in every half hour! I actually enjoyed watching the aeroplanes coming in!

Fira is also a must, the views are just incredible, the most beautiful place I have ever been to, hence why we decided to get married here, I wouldn't recommend having your whole holiday here though, as it is expensive to eat and can get very busy when the cruise ships are in the port.

The wedding - we got married using Anna at Santorini weddings, the ceremony was at St Irene Chapel at 6pm, I was hoping it would be cooler at that time but boy was I wrong, we were melting, but the pictures making it all worth while! We then had our wedding reception at Pygros Restaurant and the food was the best food I have had for a long time, just delicious and they went out of their was to please us also, the day was above expectations!

All in all an amazing holiday and perfect wedding, want to do it all over again!

2 Thank BeccaJ
UK
Reviewed 20 July 2012

The hotel was amazing, once you step through the little door on the street you are transported to a classy, tranquil oasis. The rooms are based on a boutique style, all very individual and well equipped. They were thoroughly cleaned each day. My only concern with the room we had, was that it lacked in storage space and you would benefit from taking your own hairdryer, but other than that it was perfect. No need for a travel iron as a full size one is provided along with the ironing board. I loved the balcony area which was partially shaded (we were on the ground floor) so could retreate there when it was too hot. The bar meals are excellent during the lunch hour and the drinks are not expensive at all. We had a pork slouvaki which was more than enough for one person. Breakfasts are lovely too, plenty of choice and plenty to eat.

We stayed there with my daughter who was getting married during her second week and the hotel could not do enough for them, they were amazing. As other reviews have mentioned they were taken to their sister hotel for a night and then brought back to the honeymoon suite which was out of this world. Nothing was too much trouble.

The staff were always polite and friendly and we never had an issue at all. We had a few people that came to visit us at the hotel including my 3 and a half year old granddaughter who played happily in the pool without anyone complaining. There were also other children staying there who didn't present a problem and were well behaved. I think it is fair to say that this hotel suits a particular clientele who are looking for a peaceful, tranquil retreat and other users have to respect that. I really don't believe that the staff at this hotel would have complained to visitors unless it was absolutely necessary and they were creating a disturbance. As for the comment about the bar not being manned throughout the day, just go to the supermarket down the road, buy a few cans of Mythos or wine and keep it in the fridge provided.

Kamari is a great resort with plenty of places to eat, drink and be very merry. Try walking to the end of the strip to a fantastic restuarant called Almira, traditional food but presented in a very upmarked style and fabulous staff.

I would definately go back to this hotel for it's staff, facilities, location and ambience.

lanarkshire
Reviewed 18 July 2012

The hotel is lovely and the junior suite was spacious with a lounge. kitchen area, a large bathroom and dressing area which were cleaned every day. Even though the sun beds around the pool were mostly occupied every day, it was very quiet and made us feel that we had to whisper in case we disturbed other holidaymakers. It is definately an adult only hotel even though they say it is child friendly. The pool bar is not manned through the day and if you wish a drink, then you have to go to reception to ask for someone to serve you and be prepared to wait. I felt that I was being a nuisence asking them to come to the bar and their attitude was not at all friendly.
My family was in Santorini for my son's wedding and we booked four rooms in the Tamarix with other members in various hotels in Kamari but they were not welcome in our hotel and were turned away. My four year old granddaughter came to see me and was told to get out of the pool as she was not a resident. Where are the pleasant and helpful staff people talk about or was this an off day.
Even though this was a lovely hotel and situated close to the beach with good restaurants in between, I spent no time there and would not go back.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank florence l
preston
Reviewed 13 July 2012

Just returned from a fabulous holiday at the Tamarix del Mare. The hotel complex is beautiful
and the accomodation is more like a luxury apartment with lounge and kitchen area included. If you are lucky enough to get an upgrade like we did then you may also get a jacuzzi on your patio.
The place has only 25 suites so the complete opposite of a busy, multi storey hotel with hundreds of people. It makes a change not to find the sun beds under pressure. Breakfast is a laid back affair being served from 8 to 11. 30 am so you can have a lie in if you want one. The staff are all delightful and can't do enough to be helpful. The place is well situated near the sea front and there are lots of places to eat within walking distance. As mentioned in another review
the Greek night at 'No Name' on a Monday is highly recommended.

Room Tip: All rooms are equally well situated overlooking the pool.
1 Thank DuncanPreston
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kamari
Cavo Bianco
Cavo Bianco
#5 of 75 in Kamari
Astro Palace Hotel and Suites
Anassa Deluxe Suites
Anassa Deluxe Suites
#2 of 75 in Kamari
Iconic Santorini, a boutique cave hotel
Andronis Luxury Suites
Katikies Hotel
Katikies Hotel
#9 of 56 in Oia

Been to Tamarix del Mar? Share your experiences!