“Lovely holiday but overpriced”
Review of Tamarix del Mar

Tamarix del Mar
Ranked #8 of 75 Hotels in Kamari
Reviewed 23 July 2010

The Tamarix is lovely, the staff are very friendly & the resort is very clean. Breakfast is good and the bar food is also quite good. The decor is also very chic but minimalist, I loved the candles and flowers that made the resort very pretty. The only reservation we really had was that the hotel is advertised as a luxurious 5 star hotel and it is more like an good 3 - 4 star to be honest. We paid a lot of money for a Superior suite and were promised complimentary wine and various other perks in the hotel literature. When we arrived we were quite disappointed by our suite, as it was quite worn and bland, no complimentary wine in sight. We travelled with 15 others and those that booked Junior suites appeared to have nicer rooms. The suites themselves were nice but relatively basic so I am unsure why this hotel has a 5 star rating. Perhaps I am more fussy than most? We just expected more for our money.

In addition the pool is very small and the hotel mainly attracts middle aged couples who want peace and tranquility. We felt that we had to keep our one year old constantly quiet even in the swimming pool as some of the older couples looked miffed if she giggled and splashed in the pool for 5 minutes. Having said that, the staff were very accommodating and the little playroom that they provided was very useful and kept our little one occupied!

Overall the Tamarix is a lovely place but it is probably not ideal for young families as we felt it was more aimed at the 'Saga' holiday market. It is also not best if you are travelling as a group as some residents seemed to object if we had a conversation or played with a ball in the pool. One particularly sour couple even complained because a ball ran past their sunbed. To them we were a rowdy bunch spoiling their peace & quiet but we were just ordinary inoffensive people enjoying our time in the sun. Despite all of this the Tamarix is a great place to stay (probably one f the best in Kamari) and you are guaranteed a clean and pleasant air conditioned room but not necessarily a haven of unadulterated luxury!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family

Reviewed 13 July 2010

We have just returned from a trip to this hotel between 22.10.2010 and 06.07.2010 we could have asked for better. The hotel is beautiful and clean. Rooms are fabulous and the staff just made out holiday. Mia was so lovely always had a smile on her face even having to work 7 days a week. Georga was also lovely always happy to chat and such a lovely person.
We hopefully be going back again soon and would recommend it to anyone.

Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 July 2010

Kamari Beach is a bustling beach resort full of tavernas & bars, but step through the doors of Tamarix and it becomes a world of tranquility & peace. 24 individual apartments gathered around a swimming pool with a bar made for a "Prisoner" type experience, I almost expected to see Patrick McGoohan around the corner. Our suite had the usual balcony plus a private jacuzzi & sun-area. Breakfast was amazing and the staff were so pleasant and hard-working. Ok, there was no "view" as such but all the tavernas were just outside the door and the beach was 50 yards away. Fantastic value.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 July 2010

We stayed at the Tamarix Del Mar for two weeks in June 2010 and also chose to get married here. From our first steps inside the hotel we were treated like stars- the staff are brilliant - so friendly and helpful and the rooms were absolutely amazing. We have never stayed anywhere that has made us feel so welcome. Our wedding ceremony was held on the terrace and the staff went out of their way to make our day special for us and it really was perfect!
Overall the hotel is a great place to stay - it's really close to the tavernas, beach and shops but is also very quite at night. It's very clean - the maids came and cleaned our room daily and provided fresh towels in the morning and asked if we'd like more in the evening. The pool is clean and safe and has ample sunbeds around. The breakfast is great - it has a large selection that is topped up to keep fresh. The rooms are large and have good facilities. The bathroom had a jacuzzi bath with a proper shower curtain to stop water going all over the floor (rare in Greece!).
The resort of Kamari is great if you want a good selection of tavernas and bars and it is a great base to travel to see the rest of Santorini. The best holiday we have ever had and we will definately be returning.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 June 2010

we stayed at the tamarix for one week it was fantastic we met all sorts of lovely people.we came here for my wifes 40th birthday our first holiday on our own for 23 yrs and i can say a great choice would come again thanks to every body at tamarix who made it i nice stay dont take notice of all the bad reviews these people must go round with there eye shut.go and enjoy.Terryy And Debs

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 May 2010

On arrival you are met with a warm welcome and cold drink and your initial thoughts are WOW !!! you are shown to your room and it's WOW again.
Great staff, fantastic rooms and breakfast very ample and the place is so clean.
We went in May and it was very quiet and I feel that July may be a bit busy around the pool area but thats just a guess.
Location is superb and would 100% go back anytime and the perfect location for a honeymoon.
One thing guys not a moan but maybe just get some decent gym equipment as the stuff in that beautiful room is a bit naff and I do like the gym on hols.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nupi123
Reviewed 26 July 2009

I had only hours previously checked into Atalos, a place that had a Best Value TripAdvisor Award and had tons of great reviews but was so disappointing that my husband wanted to go back home and forget the honeymoon. Fortunately I didn't read the terrible TripAdvisor reviews about Tamarix and picked a few hotels based on stars alone and visited them in person first.

Tamarix answered their phone right away, gave me clear directions to their hotel, greeted me outside and let me park in their parking lot. As she lead me to the room, she quoted me a price that was extremely discounted from the price listed on the web. She opened the doors and I swear angels sang. The room was gorgeous and HUGE. Four poster King bed, white beige and Santorini blue decor, bathrobes, slippers, spa bath products, whirlpool bathtub, couch, kitchenette with the beautiful pots and pans, real porcelain plates, nice couch, strong and quiet air conditioning. A private balcony with umbrella chairs and tables. A winding wooden staircase led to a loft space with two single beds with the same cute decor. When I thought it couldn't get any better she led me through a door in the loft to a private roof deck that had a raised private pooldip/jaccuzzi with lounge chairs and stone dining area. The view was an unobstructed view of Ancient Thira and the ocean. Nude sunbathing with no eyes was possible from here.

I collected my grumpy husband from the budget motel and delivered him here. They checked us in quickly and gave us a free drink while we finished the paperwork. There was a pool bar and restaurant with cheap prices and the mini bar had drinks at NORMAL STREET PRICES. That was a first for me. When we got to the room there was a bottle of chilled wine waiting for us and some fruits. I showed my husband the private roof deck and just then fireworks started going off I swear this place is magical.

Water. Check wikipedia, tap water in Santorini sucks They have no natural water source. A plant was built in the 60's to desalinate the sea water. So the people that complained about the water quality here need to go to a different island not hotel. This hotel is smack dab in the middle of Kamari near a market that sells 6 huge bottled waters for 1.50 euro. Get some and use it for brushing teeth and shaving etc...

Even though the location is right near everything (bakery, restaurants right out your door )it is two blocks away from the Boardwalk so it is peaceful and quiet. The three pools, unlimited pool towels and nice lounge chairs with beautiful lighting almost kept us from the beach. The breakfast was great and they allowed me to bring a tray back to the room so we could have a private breakfast on our roof deck. The concierge was helpful and planned/recommended a few great things for us. They even have car rental. The internet was quick and strong they had a library of books for free use and a free computer for use in the lobby.

We had a problem with low water pressure in the bathtub and my husband thought the jacuzzi was too cool. Within minutes a repair man came and he fixed both problems. They included transfer service to airport or in our case the next hotel in Oia and our driver was great with our bags and waiting until the next hotel came to s to bring our bags down the winding steps of Oia. We didn't have to lift a finger.

Out of the 4 major cities in Santorini, Kamari is the cheapest and best for beaches. However hotels are expensive in general in Santorini. Tamarix is the nicest hotel in town (Kastelli is also as nice or nicer, but is further away) There are cheaper places but the quality drops very quickly. If you want to stay at a place that has a good bed and is bigger than a closet, then be sure to pick hotels that are more expensive. I looked at quite a few places in person in Kamari and in general it seems that the price to quality ratio is similar to Manhattan TimesSquare/Villiage/Midtown. A hotel room can be had for 100 USD but it isn't that great but fine for people that don't want to spend much time in their room (the beach is nearby). For newlyweds like me that want to spend some romantic time in their hotel room and need a nicer room keep in mind that the quality jumps dramatically at 200USD. I highly recommend this hotel and this location as the real bargain of Santorini.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
5  Thank kikisf
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kamari
Cavo Bianco
Cavo Bianco
#5 of 75 in Kamari
Iconic Santorini, a boutique cave hotel
Anassa Deluxe Suites
Anassa Deluxe Suites
#2 of 75 in Kamari
Astro Palace Hotel and Suites
Andronis Luxury Suites
Bellonias Villas
Bellonias Villas
#3 of 75 in Kamari

Been to Tamarix del Mar? Share your experiences!