If you are looking to take a young family to a beach hotel in a child friendly location on a budget – The Boathouse is a perfect choice for you.
When we visited there recently there were 2-3 large family groups who all made friends quickly. The kids were able to play together in the inflatable paddling pools beside the main pool. Older children were able to have pick up ball games and generally amuse themselves so that the parents could relax at the pleasant poolside bar. The photos on the site really are what you get so if you like the photos you won’t be disappointed when you get there.
The rooms at the front have terraces and overlook the pool and beach. This is ideal for the people in the larger groups and with families as they would only be disturbed by their own party. Other guests might be happier at the rear. The rooms at the rear are more utilitarian but at €60 we thought they were priced very fairly for a beach front hotel.
There have been a lot of comments about airplane noise at the hotel. As you will see from our attached photo there is nowhere in Kamari that is very far from the flight path but it is true The Boathouse is at the noisier end of the beach. Someone else will correct us but I seem to remember about 12 flights a day so you need to decide if that is acceptable to you.
Single travelers or couples staying at the hotel might be happier not staying around the pool. Sunbeds and umbrellas are available for rent (about €5-8 for 2 people all day) all down the beach so you can pick a different location each day, often with waiter service from the nearest tavern. Our two favourite areas were:
- outside Irinis – a Kamari institution and part of its history since at least the early 1970’s – as both a business and in person with Mama Irini. It’s a must.
- Outside Prince – also a great place for lunch or dinner
The breakfast was pleasant enough but a little repetitive. Two blocks away there are a couple of bakeries around Johnny’s supermarket selling croissant and pain au chocolat the size of a large house brick and very tasty. So don’t get bored – fix it for a couple of Euros.
We didn’t have a lot of interaction with the staff but when we did they were responsive, helpful and very pleasant indeed.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on the spectacularly beautiful island of Santorini, a major stop on many cruise ship tours, the Boathouse Hotel is a family run waterfront Hotel on Kamari Beach about a 5-minute walk from the center of Kamari and about a 15-minute bus ride from the main town of Thira. We offer Deluxe rooms with air - conditioning, telephone, safe-box, bathroom and balcony. Our rooms are spacious and have either Seaview or Mountain- view. An extensive Buffet Breakfast is served daily from 8am until 11am, Poolside. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your The Boathouse Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Boathouse Hotel Kamari
- Boathouse Resort Kamari
- Boathouse Hotel Santorini
- Boathouse Santorini
- The Boathouse Hotel Santorini/Kamari