“Nice.................But..........................”

Ranked #41 of 75 Hotels in Kamari
Wokingham. Berkshire
“Nice.................But..........................”
Reviewed 21 May 2012

Arriving at the front of the Hotel Alexandra your first impression is a nice little hotel. The hotel is run by a couple, she is very helpful where possible whilst adding that even this early in the season she did look a bit under pressure.
As the hotel was all but empty I was given a studio room, not with sea view, but it was still nice and spatial with a fridge, cooking hob, cups, plates etc also a good sized shower room. The rooms were cleaned and the stone floor was mopped down daily, towels were also changed on a daily basis, so no problems with cleanliness. Breakfast was very basic indeed, just cereal, bread, jams, cheese and ham plus coffee or tea, also this is not a very large area for the amount of rooms in the hotel (pictures of the hotel rooms etc are attached)
The hotel is about a 12 – 15 minute walk into the centre of town, more on this in a moment, and the bus stop for Thira, all bus transport around the island goes through Thira so you must change there if going to Oia or anywhere else on the island, DO check the bus timetables because during my 10 day stay the timetable changed 3 TIMES.
Now for the but........ The size of the hotel swimming pool is TOTALLY inadequate for the size of the hotel it has ONLY 22 sunbeds around the small pool, and while I was staying the maximum number of rooms being used was only around 15 and there was not a single sun bed to be had, now when you consider that the hotel has 65 ROOMS, so lets say 130 people staying in the peek season, I do not hold out much hope of getting a sun bed around the pool.
Something which can be very annoying for us travellers is when the hotel is not where it should be, a number of travel companies and on line hotel booking agents show the hotel on their maps as being at the south end of Kamari beach towards the zigzag path leading up to ancient Thira, where as a matter of fact it is OVER ONE kilometre or so up at the northern end of the beach and only around 400 metres from the airport perimeter fence and the airport runway, which makes it very noisy indeed,. While I was staying a number of Olympic Airways flights where going backwards and forwards to Athens but the holidays flights (SAS-Air Berlin-Thompsons-Thomas Cook etc) were picking up very quickly, so come June onwards its going to be very uncomfortable with the aircraft flying in at just around 200 metres over the hotel. I have attached a couple of photos, one with an aircraft flying over the hotel swimming pool and the other taken from my hotel room, both these pictures were taken with a wide-angle lens so the aircraft look much further away but I can promise you they certainly were not, and while staying at the Alexandra the first flights were coming at 06.00 hours each morning and the latest was just after midnight but I am sure as the summer goes on that could well change.

Thank you for reading my review and my I wish you BON VOYAGE for your next trip.

Chris Leavy.
Independent traveller.
With 3 Credits in The Rough Guide Travel Books. (France, Turkey and China)

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank ItsLeavy

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Greek first
Roskilde, Denmark
Reviewed 11 November 2011

Good family hotel, fine service and helpfull staff.
The Hotel are placed only few minutes fra the airport and 50 m from the most fine beach.
Every evening you can find lot off different restaurent with lovely Grece food

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Bruno03
Liberec, Czech Republic
Reviewed 14 September 2011

We were very surprised by good quality of this hotel - we certainly didn´t expected that it would be such good as it was. Nice room with sea view (nr.58), spacious balcony, really nice staff especially man (maybe owner of the hotel?) at pool bar. We were dissapointed by some details - poor breakfast, noise during morning caused by other guests and that mermaid used one and only rag for all dishes and one for all room floors and didn´t wash it after every use, cause incredible smell...close to airport was finally pleasant fun to watch planes directly from room window, sometimes when army aircraft was training, it caused big noise. We were really satified and looking for next stay in Santorini´s hotel Alexandra in Kamari.

Room Tip: Rooms on the east side has nice balconies and sea view. Rooms with balcony to entrance are noisy bec...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Jerusalem, Israel
Reviewed 19 May 2011

it was a great surprise! we didn't expect the hotel to be so great. we got a room that was actually a separate apartment! first floor by the pool. it had a nice kitchen with a stove and fridge. clean and very nice.
also a great pool!
food: we only had breakfast, it was okay.
the sea is just one minute of walk, but it's not a very comfortable beach.
on the road to that beach, almost right on the beach, there is a very nice place to eat!
it's 10-15 walk to main street and beach.
a bus station and a supermarket is near by. if you want to go places in santorini you should take a bus to phira first- from that station.
all in all a nice hotel in a very nice place.
the only thing that may disturb some people, is that it is close to the airport- so you can hear planes- but there are no many planes and after the first day you get used to it and you don't hear them.

Room Tip: ask for a room on the first floor by the pool
  • Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank dariash
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2011

Hotel didnt look too bad as we got off the mini bus, we were given a room on the ground floor near the back of the hotel when we had requested a first floor or above with a sea view, there was no balcony but used a tiny area at the top of steps to sit out, there was a table and chairs for this, the area was really to small to be comfortable, the lounge was large and the kitchenette was a sink unit with a double cupboard and a fridge, large bathroom and adequate bedroom space, didnt try the breakfasts so can not comment. The pool was very cold even on the hot days, the first full day we had to walk for ages to get the the welcome meeting, causing me to get blisters between my toes wearing my flip flops, lots of places to eat and drink, we called twice at 'The Seaside Resturant', owner was very friendly and had a hotel right on the front which looked lovely and very central. Kamari was quiet in September nearing the end of the holiday season, had a trip to 'Fira' the capital, it was very expensive but the views were fantastic of the Caldera, we walked down the steps passed the donkeys to get to the harbour, was a very long way a very slippy and you had to be careful of the donkeys and what they left behind on the steps!! they blocked the way off half way down and we had to push them out of the way to get passed, not much on the harbour as it is really for the cruise people. Got the cable car back up. We also went to 'Oia' to watch the sunset with thousands of others, people clapped as the sun finally set, was a lovely sunset but not very romantic sharing it with lots of others. Lovely place though. Went to Perissa but it was very quiet stayed for a couple of hours on the beach and meal at one of the cafes along the front, not as big as Kamari, even though this is quite small. Santorini is expensive, lovely and quite unspoiled in parts but I prefer Kefalonia.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank nectarine
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2010

We arrived at the Alexander at about 1am following a minor delay. When we arrived we were shown to our 1 bed self catering apt which was pretty small and with a double bed (we'd asked for a twin room). Fortunately we were moved the next moring to a much better apartment which was closer to the pool.
We went self catering and found the choice of restaurants and bars in Kamari to be excellent - it is a lovely resort with the only issue being its location so close to the airport. In fact the pool at the Alexander is literally about 1/4 mile from the end of the runway and whilst the airport is not overly busy - the noise from the incoming plans was to be frant - awful.
I have also never experienced such uncomfortable sun-beds in my life so if you plan to sunbathe by the pool all day be prepared for backache!
We also considered having the breakfast one morning as you can pay additionally for this - we took one look and decided not to bother as it looked pretty poor.
So in conclusion, the resort of Kamari is lovely but I would not recommend this hotel - I would look for a place towards the other end of the town, further away from the airport.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank ljc2011

Travellers are raving about these Kamari hotels

London
Reviewed 28 September 2009

I was looking for a nice ending to my Greek holiday - after Athens and Mykonos and was terribly disappointed with this place. It didn't feel that clean, I was afraid to touch the fittings in the bathroom (taps on sink and shower). The first thing I did was go into town and buy air freshener spray for the bathroom. No shower curtain, so the whole bathroom (toilet bowl, floor, sink et al) are drenched afterwards. Bed linen had holes in them. I went there with my partner and none of their rooms have double beds - only single beds which you have to push together but they don't really work as doubles as there is a wedge in between where the frames are. And don't even think of sleeping in, as it is under the flight path. If we hadn't arrived late at night and not had a full day tour the next day, I would have just found another hotel even if I had to pay twice, but we didn't have the time to hunt around in the end. This hotel was part of a package tour; I think it is popular with the operators. I find it hard to believe people would stay here voluntarily.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple