“firstclass”
Review of Alexandra Hotel

Alexandra Hotel
Ranked #45 of 75 Hotels in Kamari
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We spent 8 wonderful days with my friend at this hotel . The room was very simple , confortable and clean ! The staff was very friendly and always open to help.The hotel has a nice swimming pool , which is very clean and excellent for guests who likes to take bath near the hotel . We apprecieted very much that the beach was so close to the hotel. We spent each our evenings at the beach - almost alone - and we were listening the sound of the see !!!
We recommand this hotel from all our hard !!!
The planes are coming ,,,,, and ???? who cares ??? It was very interesting for us , we have ever seen planes as close than now.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Csiki C

Reviewed 5 August 2013

This unfussy cosy hotel with stunning pool was slightly off the beaten track though still close to the beach and amenities; perfect sanctuary for me as a solo traveller on a much needed trip. The rates were very reasonable especially as my breakfast was included and a joy to get up for each day. Loved the local yoghurt and honey!

It was a memorable trip and the accommodation didn't disappoint!

Room Tip: Choose a top floor room for the views
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 July 2013 via mobile

This hotel was excellent value for its location and close proximity to the beach and shops.. The staff treated us as extended family.. Very very friendly and hospitable.. It was very clean and comfortable..Breakfast was also included and would stay again if afforded to come back to this paradise I highly recommend this hotel

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank SipofClass
Reviewed 14 June 2013

My two sisters and I booked this holiday a while ago, and then before we went I broke my foot and was on crutches! I spoke to the travel company and asked them to request a ground floor room but this was obviously not done. However, when we got there the owners could not have been more helpful. They gave us a choice of rooms and we ended up with a bigger one than we booked, and they didn't charge us extra. The hotel is really well kept and my sister said the swimming pool was lovely. It is just a short distance to the beach (2 minutes) and a 5-10 minute walk to the centre of Kamari. On the day we were due to travel home there was a flight controller strike and again the owners were great and let us stay in the room for the extra time for a very small extra charge. It is very close to the airport, but as the planes don't come in during the night - who cares! I would absolutely stay there again. They made my holiday so much more comfortable and I can't thank them enough.

Room Tip: From the couple we saw, I would say that any of them would be good.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank jayceeLondon1
Reviewed 26 May 2013 via mobile

Great atmosphere. Nice and cheap. Room smelt a bit funny and beds were hard but totally worth what we paid. Nice pool and great place to sunbathe. Staff very helpful. Not to far from the centre of everything. Much enjoyed our stay would deffinately come here again in the future.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 11 October 2012

I was there at the end of Sept. this year. Cozy small family hotel with very kind staff. Rooms were small, cleaned every day and towels changed. Simple but very well furnished with a lot of pictures on the walls. The pool is with Olympic size, not enough sun beds but the beach was 50 m far from the hotel and I preferred stay there - the beach is one of the best in the island. The hotel is far from the crowded centre and was very calm at evenings, if I exclude the nearby airport.
I am sure I will come back again because I liked it a lot. The price-quality entirely corresponds and the value-added service is the politest staff I met on the Cycladic islands.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank ddobreva
Reviewed 21 May 2012

Arriving at the front of the Hotel Alexandra your first impression is a nice little hotel. The hotel is run by a couple, she is very helpful where possible whilst adding that even this early in the season she did look a bit under pressure.
As the hotel was all but empty I was given a studio room, not with sea view, but it was still nice and spatial with a fridge, cooking hob, cups, plates etc also a good sized shower room. The rooms were cleaned and the stone floor was mopped down daily, towels were also changed on a daily basis, so no problems with cleanliness. Breakfast was very basic indeed, just cereal, bread, jams, cheese and ham plus coffee or tea, also this is not a very large area for the amount of rooms in the hotel (pictures of the hotel rooms etc are attached)
The hotel is about a 12 – 15 minute walk into the centre of town, more on this in a moment, and the bus stop for Thira, all bus transport around the island goes through Thira so you must change there if going to Oia or anywhere else on the island, DO check the bus timetables because during my 10 day stay the timetable changed 3 TIMES.
Now for the but........ The size of the hotel swimming pool is TOTALLY inadequate for the size of the hotel it has ONLY 22 sunbeds around the small pool, and while I was staying the maximum number of rooms being used was only around 15 and there was not a single sun bed to be had, now when you consider that the hotel has 65 ROOMS, so lets say 130 people staying in the peek season, I do not hold out much hope of getting a sun bed around the pool.
Something which can be very annoying for us travellers is when the hotel is not where it should be, a number of travel companies and on line hotel booking agents show the hotel on their maps as being at the south end of Kamari beach towards the zigzag path leading up to ancient Thira, where as a matter of fact it is OVER ONE kilometre or so up at the northern end of the beach and only around 400 metres from the airport perimeter fence and the airport runway, which makes it very noisy indeed,. While I was staying a number of Olympic Airways flights where going backwards and forwards to Athens but the holidays flights (SAS-Air Berlin-Thompsons-Thomas Cook etc) were picking up very quickly, so come June onwards its going to be very uncomfortable with the aircraft flying in at just around 200 metres over the hotel. I have attached a couple of photos, one with an aircraft flying over the hotel swimming pool and the other taken from my hotel room, both these pictures were taken with a wide-angle lens so the aircraft look much further away but I can promise you they certainly were not, and while staying at the Alexandra the first flights were coming at 06.00 hours each morning and the latest was just after midnight but I am sure as the summer goes on that could well change.

Thank you for reading my review and my I wish you BON VOYAGE for your next trip.

Chris Leavy.
Independent traveller.
With 3 Credits in The Rough Guide Travel Books. (France, Turkey and China)

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo