“Wonderful location but an average experience”
Review of Hotel Maria Preka

Hotel Maria Preka
Ranked #38 of 75 Hotels in Kamari
Reviewed 19 July 2014

The travel agency we used told it was a 3 star hotel but were left disappointed at the size of the room, well the bathroom in particular - it was tiny. There was no shower curtain and we had a handheld shower which meant everywhere was soaked. Having a shower wasn't a pleasant experience. However, the location of the hotel is wonderful. It's a very short walk to the beach and plenty of restaurants around and the bus stop.

After reading plenty of positive reviews about the family run Maria Preka and how friendly she was we were left a bit disappointed by the welcome. It took almost a week before she raised a smile towards us but she did warm up towards us near the end. Perhaps my tumble down the stairs put her on the charm offensive.

The breakfast was nice, nothing spectacular but enjoyed the fresh tomatoes and the greek yogurt. There was even a home baked sweet pastry somedays. The wifi did work but only when you sat in the area by the pool.

Overall, it was an enjoyable stay but probably wouldn't go back due to the bathroom situation.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with a decent bathroom!!!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PetraMark

Reviewed 9 July 2014

A travel agent I had met only briefly (I was traveling prior to my stay with a group) offered this hotel as one of two choices. Initially I chose it because the price was better than the other option. I was more than pleasantly surprised upon arrival.
This family run business is a beautiful little hotel of several buildings only about three blocks from the beach (the beach was NOT a draw for me as I found it too "beachy and touristy" - but that is just my own taste). Kamari is an easy town to walk to anything you need, and there are buses and tours from which to visit other parts of Santorini or other islands. My room consisted of two twins (which were pushed together but easily separated) beds in the bedroom, a small kitchen, and a nice bath. I don't think I'll ever really figure out how not to splash water in the showers that are hand-held without full curtains, but the cleanliness is superb. Because it was hotter than normal the days I was there, I asked Maria to turn my air on, which she did and I was comfortable. There is a very pleasant pool area, also spotless. The rooms also have balconies which are especially good for drying hand-washed clothing or wet bathing suits on the convenient clothes lines. Weekend nights can be noisy due to beach goers and their motor bikes and party attitude, but otherwise, it is a good family town. I had to use an internet cafe, but it was only a couple of blocks away - I was happy NOT to have outside communication too convenient. Breakfast was the same each morning consisting of what I think is the "regulation" breakfast throughout Greece - ham, cheese, breads, yoghurt, cake, cereals, coffee, juice. This was my third week of travel, so was a bit tired of the routine, and nothing was "home-made." But it did get the day started and there really was no complaints. You could eat outside on the patios or inside the breakfast room. Ask for downstairs accommodations if you have heavy bags and don't want to shlep them up and down. If ever I were to find myself in this town again, I'd return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Some rooms have trees that give more shade - maybe ask for one of those. I enjoyed my balcony but i...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Travelfilter
Reviewed 6 July 2014

As I write this review, the owner - Maria - is sitting next to me, but don't worry - this will not be biased in the slightest! ;) I LOVED my time at Maria Preka hotel - the personnel could not be friendlier and our room (#16) was absolutely lovely and located right next to that of the owner.

The hotel is a 1-minute walk from the beach (if you're being slow) and right in the heart of Kamari.

I whole-hearthedly recommend you stay at this lovely family hotel - if you'd like something a little more upscale, you can also have a look at Hotel Anassa across the road, which is run by Maria's daughter, Fotini.

For more info, you can have a look at my website, www.girlvsglobe.com :)

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank girlvsglobe
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Just spent a great week with husband and daughter in one of the self-contained apartments on hotel site. We had a really large bedroom with a balcony overlooking vines and tomatoes and some chickens. My daughter slept in the sitting room/bedroom which opened out onto another terrace with shade, table and chairs overlooking the brilliant blue pool and mountains. Everything was of a high standard and very comfortable, our rooms were cleaned every day and we found a large bowl of tomatoes on our table fresh from their own fields. Maria, her husband, daughter and son were excellent hosts, friendly, efficient and relaxed and always quick to help. Well situated near beach and shops and also very quiet at night. Air conditioning a boon on a couple of nights, otherwise slept with french doors open. The pool was great as well. A beautiful hotel in quite cul de sac.

Room Tip: We didn't see the other suites, but they all looked of a similar standard from the outside.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Hello. We had a very nice stay at Maria Preka in week 23, our room was cleaned everyday, which was lovely. And the hostess Maria is an elderly kind lady with a big smile on her face and her grandson on her arm, she was always full of fun and loved making fun with us. It is definetely a hotel worth visiting. XOXO

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Astrid K
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I spent two nights at Maria Preka. My first night I spent at Anassa, but needed to move because Anassa was for full the next two nights. Maria Preka was very comparable to Anassa and less expensive. Maria Preka is located directly across the road from Anassa and has it's own very nice pool, attractive grounds, etc. Kamari is away from the main towns of Fira and Oia but easily accessible to both cities by a bus stop near by. There is no need for your own car. I highly recommend booking tours of the island through Kamari Tours. With their expert guides you will not miss a thing! Kamari has it's own black sand beach, shops, excellent restaurants and everything is just a stroll away from Maria Preka and Anassa Hotels. I am already planning to go back when I can spend more time on Santorini, one of the most fantastic islands I have ever seen.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank 207YHoover
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We wanted to visit Greece but was unsure of where to stay. The good reviews on Maria Preka Kamari beach convinced us to try Santorini and this hotel. From booking to leaving the whole experience has been wonderful. The hotel and resort exceeded our expectations and we truly had a lovely holiday ( up there with the best). From arriving at the hotel to leaving we were so impressed with the cleanliness, friendliness of all staff, especially the owner Maria, and the quality of the food all of which were outstanding . I would highly recommend this hotel. We were looking to go to Turkey next year but we are already eager for a return to Santorini to the Hotel Maria Preka. How lucky that a general search for Santorini should turn in to such an outstanding holiday and by far exceeded our expectations. Thensks, thansks, thansk dear Maria.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family