Acqua Vatos Hotel, Santorini, Greece:
You MUST read this if considering this hotel. I must admit, we do not normally write reviews unless the service was extraordinary or extremely poor. Unfortunately in this case, Acqua Vatos Hotel was exceedingly poor. There were problems after problems, and perhaps more surprising than the poor quality of the hotel, was the shady quality of the individuals that ran it. I prefer brevity, so I summed the pros and cons of the hotel below.
- The freshwater pool was nice, cozy, and with decent lounge chairs. Extra sun screen was provided poolside.
- Staff, although shady in some of their dealings (will explain in cons), seemed familiar with island of Santorini
- Greek Breakfast was pretty good. Freshly made items daily
- Free Tea and Coffee (from a machine) available 24/7
- Very close to Kamari beach
- First thing we noticed was A/C was barely effective. More of a fan than an A/C. Trust me, something you want to ensure works when you travel somewhere hot
- Pool didn’t allow any food/drinks by poolside, you had to purchase from their poolside bar. This included water that the hotel recommended we buy when we first arrived
- No safes in rooms. The safes are located downstairs. In my opinion: 1. Easy access for shady staff and 2. Easy access if a thief decided to hold the place up (receptionist had key to safe). My watch disappeared at the hotel
- Small/inefficient bathrooms. Designed so that water splashes everywhere when you shower.
- Their website boasts about “wi-fi throughout hotel” and an “internet cornet” but both of which you must pay some ridiculous fees
- Upon arrival, the staff sits you down for a 20 minute information session. Although I have to credit this for some providing some useful information, we had just traveled all day to arrive at this destination. The last thing we wanted to hear was a long information session (I concede this is a personal opinion, may be placed in “pros” if this sounds helpful)
And lastly, this short story summed up the end of our trip. The day before we were due to leave, we inquired about the “Airport and port transportation” listed on their website. She said she’d schedule a taxi and asked what time our flight was. We said “1300,” and then she said we should probably be picked up at 11:45. My significant other asked if the receptionist could make it a little earlier because we like to arrive at the airport early and, as we found out, Santorini airport is a complete mess. Oddly, she argued with us about the time. We were surprised and wondered why it mattered to her what time we got a taxi for. In the end, she said “OK” to 11:15. The next morning we went downstairs at 11:00 ready for the taxi. We then waited until 11:30. We went back inside and asked again if she made the taxi for 11:15 and she said, “Oh yea they just called, they are running late.” At 11:45 a large van that must be contracted with the hotel pulled up and said he was our ride. Surprised we jumped in thinking it was a free service. At the airport we got off and the driver insisted on 15 euros. Please feel free to look at the map but Acqua Vatos Hotel is probably about 2 miles from the airport at the most. We said we could have taken a taxi for cheaper. In the end, we realized why the receptionist put up such a huge fight about us requesting a taxi at 11:15 instead of 11:45. The hotel must have some contract with this shuttle service and they charge an outrageous amount to travel a short distance. Not only did the receptionist lie to us about the taxi “being late,” but also lied that she made the taxi service for 11:15. There were other people on the bus due to be picked up before us at 11:30.
Conclusion: There are A LOT of hotels on Santorini. STRONGLY recommend NOT booking at this one.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tucked away in the heart of Kamari in Santorini and just a few passes away of the famous black sand beach, the Acqua Vatos has been fully refurbished and transformed into a hip boutique hotel in the spring of 2011. It is trendy, elegant and from time to time eccentric, with minimalistic design and exhibitionist bathrooms. Acqua Vatos is ideal for families with kids, since there are rooms designed and equipped especially for them. The XXL pool is a star attraction for adults and children of any age. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, LoveHolidays, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Bookgreece.com, Evoline ltd, HRS, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Acqua Vatos Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Acqua Vatos
- Acqua Vatos Kamari
- Acqua Vatos Hotel Santorini/Kamari