“Why isn't this hotel Number 1? It is in my book...”

Acqua Vatos Santorini Hotel
Ranked #27 of 75 Hotels in Kamari
Reviewed 25 June 2009

My fiance and I stayed at Acqua Vatos with several of our family groups in the week before our wedding. George and Kate made us feel instantly welcome, and helped us with quite literally everything we requested... from questions like, 'have you seen where mum went?' (he always knew!!) to organising taxis, keeping my bridegroom calm, acting as tourist information officer, giving directions, doling out mosquito repellent when he noticed I was nibbled.... the list would fill this page. As my sister puts it, 'he's so lovely!'... praise indeed!

The hotel itself is clean, bright and furnished well. I liked that each of our rooms was individual yet tied into the overall theme. There has obviously been a lot of thought and effort gone into creating this little haven.

Breakfast was more than ample, and served from early (8am is early, isn't it?!?!) until 11am... and when my little brother surfaced after 11am, George told him to go and help himself from the kitchen!

I was bowled over by the 'black book'... 3 books of compliments/comments, each one written from guests who all primised to return... as will we. Santorini is a magical island, made all the more so for us because we married there on the caldera with our friends and family around us. When we return (and it IS a when, not an if), I will be staying with George at Acqua Vatos.

George, Kate, Alana, Dimitrous and all the rest of the staff, 'evharisto poly' many thanks for a fantastic holiday... my only complaint is that we had to leave!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SP_Santorini

Reviewed 17 June 2009

If you are staying in Santorini, then this is the hotel to stay in.
My wife and I have just returned from a stay at the Aqua Vatos. We were visiting Santorini as my daughter was getting married there. From the moment you walk in the door, you are made to feel, not only at home, but like an old friend by George and his able assistant Kate. Nothing is too much trouble for them. Rooms are plenty big enough and comfortable. We had a lovely balcony with great views. We can't wait to return. Thanks George and Kate for making our stay so enjoyable!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Laurie K
Reviewed 8 June 2009

Hi George and Kate,

We was there for our wedding and we are deaf couple. Fantastic hotel. We are glad to stay there. George and Kate are very helpful and always respect us. The room is lovely and clean but the only slight disappointed is the bathroom which it was small and require decorated. Sorry George. Just give you my honest feedback.

The rest of it, I have nothing to complained at all and it is absolutely first class! They are very friendly and would always us help anytime. They treated customer very well and can cope pressure.

The atmosphere made us feel more welcome and we felt like a family home. George is very generous man. In the middle of the night, when the shop closed and we came back from the pub. I was thirsty and I took the bottle of water from the kitchen. I left the note to say I will pay you to George for him to read in the next morning. So the next morning, I came up to him and gave him some money and he does not want my money. He laughed and say keep it. He does not mind and happy for me to keep the bottle of water. I was amazed because I know many hotels are demand for the payment but George was not! He is kind bloke and we communicate each other very well.

I have nothing to say but I am giving this hotel 9/10 star rating. Only one missing is the bathroom. If they do the decorating (improve colours and extra luxury) in the bathroom, then it is definitely 10/10. You people read my comments, please don't concern too much about the bathroom as it is not look bad as you thought. It is just ordinary looking bathroom.

I would definitely recommended to anyone to stay at this hotel. Thank you George and Kate!

3  Thank silvermazda7
Reviewed 1 June 2009

We stayed here for 3 nights for the first part of our honeymoon in Santorini. When we arrived George met us at the gate and carried ur bags to the room for us! We had only been able to book a double room and not a suite as we had initially wanted to do as we were only staying 3 nights. George explained that the master suite was available for 2 nights and we would then have to move into a double room for the last night. George said that he would move our belongings for us so that we didn't need to!! The master suite was lovely and spacious with a lounge area, bedroom, bathroom and 2 balconies, one overlooking the gardens and one with a slight pool view. The second bedroom was smaller and had a balcony overlooking the gardens. The suite also had a proper shower and bath which prevented the bathroom flooding. The second bathroom was more typically greek and yes, the bathroom did flood!!! George gave us the suite at a lower price also which was good!
The hotel is lovely, as is the big pool and comfortable sunbeds, also the comfy couches and chairs which you can relax and have a beer on! The beer you can buy at the hotel is relatively cheap at around 3 euros for a large bottle, compared to some of the other bars in the area.
At night, it is so romantic as the candles lighting the entrance to the hotel and also in the reception area are lit. Whilst we were there, people were taking photos of the outside of the hotel as it is so pretty with a lovely big pink flowered tree!
Breakfast is continental with fresh pastries, which I am not a big fan of, but which my husband loved! There is indoor area for eating and also a lovely terrace too where you can eat your breakfast.
George and Kate were really helpful on where to go to eat and we even got 10% discount at a restaurant as we said that George had recommended it to us as he eats there too!
When we were moving onto our second destination George booked us a taxi with other guests from the hotel who were going to the same place which made the journey cost less. This was good as the taxi's are expensive in Santorini. George even spoke to nour onward hotel, in greek and explained that we would be there soon and took our bags to the taxi when it arrived.
The hotel is about 5 minutes from the beach and restaurants opposite a gyros shop which is lovely and only 2.50 euros!!!!
The hotel is lovely and very relaxing. If we were to return to Kamari again, then we would not stay anywhere else apart from the Acqua Vatos hotel.

1  Thank IbizababeLancashire
Reviewed 30 May 2009

We booked 8 nights in the so called Master suite 108 euros (nearly twice the price of standard room) Faults 1 bathroom is very poor shower floods the floor There was a bath but no plug when we requested one george said "there was a water shortage and it cost 5 euros to fill the bath " mmmmmmm some master suite !!!!!!! 2 The air conditioning didnt work 3 We were given toiletries first day then nothing mmmmmmm. 4 Breakfast no chance of anything hot (cept for coffee) Same every day not much choice.

5 Didnt seem to be any bar serrvice at all during the day . 6 We hired a car 3rd day when arriving back back a car blocking entrance to parking area .Told the car park was reserved for staff and guests were expected 2 public car park down the road .

Good points 1 Given a beer when we arrived nice touch 2 pool area fine pool clean 3 George was helpfull when we decided to leave early (problem not connected with the hotel ) and got us a room at his sis ters hotel (Above Blue) alina was very helpful and the hotel was different class as were the other 2 hotels we stayed (in Perissa 9 muses and Tamarix del mar back in KAMARI (a little more expensive)

3  Thank grahamggm
George_Acqua_Vatos, George Tsolakakis - Manager at Acqua Vatos Santorini Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2009

Firstly we would like to say it is a pleasure to have the chance to respond to the issues raised by our guests and hope for future visitors the information we provide will be of help. We will do our best to give a response to all points raised.

The first point mentioned was the cost of the master suite in relation to a standard double and the contrast between the 2 rooms in price. The standard double is a room of 16 square meters and has a private bathroom just with shower and 1 balcony. The master suite has the same sized bedroom but with the addition of a second living room space of 18 square meters, 2 balconies a bathroom with bath and shower over the bath, and a small dressing area. The cost as rightly mentioned is less than double the cost of the standard room but with more than double the space and extra facilities.

The second point was that the shower in the bathroom flooded the floor. Had this been said about any of our other rooms we would have readily agreed that this would be an accurate state of affairs. As we are a 3 star hotel our bathrooms are basic and functional and since we feel that the comfort of the bedroom itself is more of a priority to 99% of our guests the renovations that have been undertaken since our acquisition of the hotel 3 and a half years ago have been focused there. However, the shower in this room is over a bath and with a shower curtain so the ONLY way this room could be flooded is if the user didn’t use the shower curtain. Or if they did use it, left it hanging out of the bath thus directing the water onto the floor themselves! The comment with regards to the water situation on the island is accurate. We are an island with NO natural water supply and we do the best to be as environmentally friendly as possible in the hotel. Including, using solar panels for hot water and recycling the little rain water we get on the island. We ask that our guests respect the nature of the island they find themselves on and the corresponding facilities. On the subject of the environment that brings me nicely to the next comment re the air conditioning. The facility in the room is working well and the guests using the room prior to and after the departure of this customer had no problems using it. The only reason for it not working is if the air conditioning unit was on and the windows were open at the same time in the room. Again, to respect the environment and not to aid the contribution of global warming we have circuit breakers in the doors and windows so that our visitors cannot send the heat or cool air from the unit straight out the window! Had any mention of this problem been made we would have gladly gone to the room and shown the guests where the problem lay however, we were not made aware of this.

The point listed as 3 was regarding refills of the toiletries in the room. These are refreshed when the cleaners see that the bottles are empty, not just added to the room everyday as many guests prefer to use their own products. No empty bottles were seen in the room so it was presumed that the guests still had them!

With regards to lack of choice at breakfast I would like to mention the description of our breakfast on our web site is ‘an enriched continental breakfast’ it is not an English cooked breakfast. To give you an idea of what was on offer every morning in our hotel we have:-
4 different types of cereal, 7 different types of fresh meat and cheese, olives, Greek yogurt, honey, 3 different jams, 2 types of fresh bread, 4 different types of pies ( 2 sweet, 2 savory) all baked fresh in the hotel and served hot, 6 different types of fresh fruit served on a platter, hard boiled eggs, 3 different fruit juices, milk, freshly peculated coffee, 5 different types of tea and in addition to which we also serve homemade ham and cheese omelet bake twice a week! We are sorry that this was not an adequate enough choice!

Point 5 was re the bar service this facility is available all day every day. However we do not try to push the guests into spending money in the hotel, we prefer to keep everything very relaxed and go with the assumption that should they require anything, they will ask for it. Information regarding the bar facilities are clearly placed in all the guests rooms in our information books.

The last point was our ‘car park’. The hotel does not, and has never had a car park. We have a garden, which is mostly paved to allow access for our deliveries of stock to the hotel and when necessary is used by the manager to put his car. This area is very small and were 2 cars to be placed there we would not be able to receive any deliveries so to offer a private parking facility for our guests is completely unrealistic and is not and has never been something we have offered within the hotel facilities. It has not, up until now, been a problem however since next to the hotel is a large, free, public car park which is what our guests generally use.

We are very happy that a pleasant stay was had in our new development at above blue suites. However, this and the other hotels mentioned are of a different class. We are 3* family run hotel and all other hotels mentioned were either A class hotels and/or 5* suites. So, really it is not possible to compare accommodation and we would like to add that labeling the 50% extra cost difference between us and Tamarix “a little bit more expensive” is a little bit misleading to visitors trying to compare property price and style.

We hope this has resolved any queries and or questions raised and would be more than happy to provide any further information required.

Reviewed 27 May 2009

My other half and I stayed here for a week and we could've stayed longer.
The position of the AV is great, just off the beach, on a side road which wasn't too noisy or busy. I need total peace to sleep and had no trouble at all, which was a first for me!
The pool area is lovely and private (unlike those on the beach road) and much larger than some others we saw which were more like splash pools. The pool furniture was good with some shady areas which were welcome even in May.
Breakfast was a relaxed buffet which could be taken outside on the shady patio. Bliss!
There was plenty to choose from: cereals, pastries, breads, ham, cheese, eggs plus juices, tea, coffee. Enough to set you up for the day. Breakfast was 8-11 which allowed plenty of lie-ins and meant that there was no rush with everyone there at once. Very civilised!
All the staff were helpful, discreet and friendly.
Our room was a nice size and cosily furnished. If I have any criticism at all. I would say that the bathroom was a little tired and, yes, the water from the shower went all over the floor, but it wasn't a problem.
The air con was necessary some nights and worked well. And it was free!
You could help yourself to coffee and tea at any time for no charge and I made full use of it, I must say. It was nice to come "home" after a meal out and just sit on the lovely outside seating area with a coffee. I looked forward to that!
Yes, it's not 5* but it's good value for money and a real "home from home".
We really didn't want to leave. I'd like to think that, should we return to Santorini, we would certainly try to stay at the AV.

1  Thank dkgolferBlackpool
Reviewed 25 May 2009

The Aqua Vatos is a wonderful place to stay, all around you are suurounded by a stylish decorated exterior and interior. George who owns the hotel with his wife Alina met us when we checked in along with the receptionist Kate who used to be one of the Tompson reps for the area. George and Kate always make you feel welcome and are always prepared to help, from Tavernas to car hire they have all the answers but most importantly they were always happy to help and make you feel welocme. Breakfast was of a continental fashion and with the fresh baked cakes gave the day a nice start, the only little criticism would be that a toaster would have been nice, but other than that all was perfect. We will definately return and have already reccomended the Aqua Vatos to friends and family.
Thank you George and Kate for a memorable stay.
Paul & Carolyn