“Rooms and pool are nice, location could be better, and breakfast is poor. Overrated on Tripadvisor.”

Atalos Apartments & Suites
Ranked #6 of 75 Hotels in Kamari
Reviewed 14 June 2011

My wife and I and another couple chose this place primarily because it was the #2 rated hotel in Kamari. The room was nice, as was the pool and grounds. However, the location was poor - several blocks from the beach (most of the hotels in Kamari are right on the beach), and the breakfast was terrible. It consisted of some cereal, reconstituted orange juice, a small plate of cold cuts, and some convenience store pastries in a basket. AND, if you eat it, the owner charges you 4 euro (when you leave, of course, otherwise we would have not touched the food) It was ridiculous. All in all it was ok, but the sad state of the breakfast really turned me off. Also, the owner badgered my friends for payment when they left, but I had already made the reservation with a credit card and expected that to be charged (which it was... unfortunately we never saw Yannis again when we checked out so we couldn't ask him about it, and he has not replied to my repeated emails over the past two weeks). I guess you get what you pay for. Also, the jaccuzzi is not heated, which is a bit dishonest... it's not a jaccuzzi if it's not heated, it's a kiddie pool.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Baybrewer
123at, Manager at Atalos Apartments & Suites, responded to this review, 17 June 2011
Dear Guest,

We are sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with your stay. You picked us because we are the number two rated hotel in Kamari, for which we are grateful. But, we are rated as such because our guests have rated us this way, not us. We try to do everything we can to ensure our guests have the best experience possible in Santorini and leave our hotel satisfied.

You made a reservation for a two bedroom apartment for four people for 45 euro per night. In that same reservation it is clearly stated that breakfast is not included. We are very concerned that you disliked your breakfast though we wish that you had said so during your stay. All four of your party came down every day for breakfast with seemingly no problems. One thing that confuses us is if you so disliked the food why did you continue eating it? Within one block of our hotel there are numerous restaurants and markets where you could go eat exactly what you like. As with anything else in life you are not forced to eat breakfast here and have the freedom to go anywhere you like. It seemed that you were enjoying the food until you learned you had to pay for it and then seemed to develop a strong dislike for it, which is unfortunate.

You had booked you room using a credit card but in the middle of your stay left the hotel without checking out or telling anyone and went to another city on the island, according to your friends. While we do take your credit card number at the beginning of your stay, for the safety of out guests' credit card data and so that we don't simply charge your credit card without your knowledge we do request that you check-out or at least let us know that you are leaving so that we may get your signature for the charges and provide you a receipt for your stay. We are not aware of many hotels that encourage you to simply leave without telling anyone and there is a check-out process for a reason. When we did finally charge your card, we charged you a reduced rate due to your displeasure with the food.

We do have to appologize that it took us so long to respond to your email. For some reason your email was marked as "spam" and ended it up in our spam folder. It was only after you mentioned that you mailed us repeatedly in your review that we were prompted to go looking through our spam folder for your mail. It was an honest mistake on our part and we do apologize for the incovenience, we are very diligent about responding to our guests as quickly as possible.

We do advertise that we have a jacuzzi (jetted) tub which we do provide, but we do not claim that it is a hot tub. During the summer months the water in it runs cool as many of our guests enjoy this in the hot Greek summer days and because the high chlorine requirement for a hot tub in the summer is not healthy for the skin. In the cooler months we do heat the tub, depending on temperature outside.

Again we are dismayed that you did not enjoy your stay. We encourage anyone staying with us to let us know if there is something they are not satisfied with and we will do everything reasonably possible to correct the situation and ensure your stay is enjoyable and memorable, however there is little we can do if the issue is never brought to our attention. We personally go out of our way to make sure that each and every single guest leaves satisfied because it's these satisfied guests that are the lifeblood of our business. We make it our top priority to make each and every guest completely satisfied with their stay.

Giannis Argyros

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 3 June 2011

Very happy we stayed at Atalos Villa in Kamari. Roomy, airy apt with comfortable bed (and pillows), close to beach, shops and restaurants. Wifi worked perfectly. With regards to the hot water we found you just had to run it for about 20 seconds and were never without.
We rented a smart car for two of the days we were there and saw quite a bit of the island that way for a very reasonable price. I was always happy to come back to the quiet our hotel offered - no traffic, birds chirping.....serenity! For sure the breakfast is basic but if you don't like it - make your own. I have never been to a hotel where the owner picks me up from the ferry, stops along the way to show me a great place to watch the sunset and then drops me off at the airport when it's time to leave. He actually came back into the airport to get us because he saw we were standing in the wrong line and marched us and our suitcases directly into the correct line up, no doubt saving us a stressful half hour. A very hard working, hospitable family - we definitely enjoyed our stay here and would recommend it to all of our friends.

Athens, Georgia
Reviewed 1 June 2011

Though it was hard to find, the location of the hotel was pretty good. The room was Nice enough, and for the cost I have no complaints. The owner was exceedingly helpful and friendly and provided a ride to the airport. Great budget option for Kamari and Santorini.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chattaboogy
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 31 May 2011

I made this reservation after reading the reviews on trip advisor. We were picked up by the owner at the port as prearranged. The first thing we noticed was how poor the owner spoke English. We arrived at the hotel and were taken to our room. We noticed the hotel’s laundry was being line dried near the entrance to our room. Upon inspection of the room we noticed things were a bit older and things were in disrepair. The toilet seat was broken and barely held on with one bolt. The bathroom sink was clogged and took 10 minutes to drain. The shower was a corner, pie shaped, single person stall with no curtain surrounding the shower. The curtain split the bathroom in half so when you took a shower the toilet got all wet and the floor flooded. There is no bathtub, only the shower stall. Additionally, there was no hot water in the evening nor in the morning. The towels were very old and felt like sandpaper. We spoke with some other guests we met on the ferry that made the same claims.

The bed was very hard and uncomfortable and the pillows were as hard as bricks. There was no privacy curtain, only a thin shear. Our room was pool facing and the lights lit up our room very brightly all night long. The room was very hot and the air conditioner sounded like a chain saw and was very annoying so you could not run it while in the room. There is no phone in the room. The 4Euro breakfast was a cold breakfast with prepackaged bread and jelly packets. Cereal, a community tub of yogurt, and carton OJ that taste like tang.

After not sleeping the entire night, the poor condition of the room and the lousy breakfast we decided it was time to find another hotel. The hotel advertises free wifi, however I could never get a web page to open because the signal strength was so weak. I talk to the owner and he told me to go out to the pool and try. This did not help either. I very politely told the owner the hotel we wanted to check out. He became very angry and started yelling at me and then at his wife. I showed him the things that we found wrong with the hotel and was not concerned. He insisted I pay for two nights and I told him I would only pay for one because of the poor condition of our room. He said fine and refused my payment for the one night. I thought this was very polite of him. UNTIL the next day when I received a No Show email from Booking.com and I was being charged 235Euro for not showing up. I emailed Booking.com and informed them of the situation and provided them of proof we stayed in the room and checked out because of the unsatisfactory conditions. I contacted a travel agent I know in Athens and he told me to go to the hotel and try and work it out and notify the police if resolution was not reached. We went to the hotel as directed and tried to talk to them and they told us they reported us as a No Show. We left the hotel and filed a police report. I have to hand it to Booking.com, they worked on my behalf with Attalos hotel and worked it out so we owed for one night plus a cancellation fee.

I do not recommend this hotel and have no idea how they have such a good rating on trip advisor.

3 Thank WorldTraveler391
123at, Manager at Atalos Apartments & Suites, responded to this review, 5 June 2011
Dear customer,

I would like to reply to the negative feedback concerning your recent stay at our establishment. As you know when a reservation is made online there are specific rules and policies that need to be followed and respected.
I would like to point out that when you first received the room that was presented to you; all seemed in order and you did not express any concerns.
Upon the following day you started to complain that the room ad many faults and that cetain areas of the dwelling were broken.
It is also important to mention that fo all guests who choose to stay at Atalos have full access to our wifi service; this is a service that is not controlled by the hotel but rather outside parties We here at the hotel share the same access.
In the room of your stay there were many guests before you and afterwards; none of them shared your sentiment.
When there's an issue with a room; proof should be presented (pictures).
It was brought to our attention that you had aquaintances visiting Thira and I kindly provided you with a lift along with all your luggage. I gladly came and picked you up from the port and brought you to Thira and yet you discredit my service and accomodations.
There were allegations made about poor accomodations but without proof.
From what I gathered you decided that you wanted stay with your friends in Thira and thus caused a commotion in order to get out of your reservation which you had booked.
You made serious complaints about Atalos Villas and praise another hotel. These are 2 extremely different class of hotels. These 2 establishments are not part of the same category.
Any guest here is always respected and will always be provided with the best care. We make sure to provide guests with the best accomodations available.
If the room was such a problem we would have gladly accomodated you with another however you had already decided to leave.
London
Reviewed 31 May 2011

The owners are very nice and provide help on travel/local bookings. Hospitable, clean, relaxed and nice place to stay. Location is convenient for travel to different parts of the island. We hired a 2-wheeler for our stay which was very convenient.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GreenGrassBlueSkies
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2011

We stayed at the Atalos studios early May 2011, we found the staff very helpful and friendly, nothing was to much trouble.
The rooms were spacious and clean and we would have no hesitation staying there again.
We would recommend that you email the Atalos directly as they were very easy to deal with and quick to respond to any questions.

N.B. they were spot on with our airport pick up and Ferry drop off

1 Thank Athiri92
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2011

Went with my mother who uses a wheelchair.We had a ground floor apartment and no access difficulties.Giannis could not have been more helpful and welcoming.Location is perfect-200 yards to shops and promenade,6 minutes walk to bus stop.Highly recommended for a peaceful break.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Stormsnapper
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kamari
Smaragdi Hotel
#2 of 15 in Karteradhos
Hotel Matina
Hotel Matina
#17 of 75 in Kamari

Been to Atalos Apartments & Suites? Share your experiences!