“Great place to stay.”
Review of Atalos Suites

Atalos Suites
Ranked #7 of 75 Hotels in Kamari
Reviewed 14 October 2009

Atalos Villas is a great place to stay and is good value for money. The rooms are big and cleaned every day. It's really handy having a small kitchen in the room.

We were put in a room with a balcony with a room facing the road but were offered a move after a few days if we wanted it.

The owner is nice but not as friendly as I though he would be from reviews I read. When we first arrived to check in he ignored us for a while. He made up for it though by giving us a lift to the port. If you're flying to the island they'll pick you up for free from the airport.

A great hotel in a good location which is good value for money. Not sure about it being rated as the best hotel in Kamari but is a definite 8/10.

Reviewed 13 October 2009

The hotel is 400m from the beach.
The rooms are clean and nice, have a small kitchen and a balcony. Nice breakfast : honey, jam, butter, chocolat croissant, yoghurt, cheese, ham, coffe/tea/juice. We had a free pick up at the port and drop off at the airport. The owner Giannis was really helpfull and nice.
Kamari is a very nice place. Lots of resturants and friendly people. The bus to Fira takes 15 minutes and costs 1,40€ one way, to Oia around 20 minutes same price.
It was a wonderful stay. Thank you everyone at Atalos Villas.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 October 2009

After an initial hiccup- we had emailed the hotel our arrival time at the airport as suggested, but no-one picked us up. On a rrival at the hotel we discovered that there had been a mix up of timings. As a good will gesture our studio room was upgraded to an apartment. This had all mod cons including kitchen area - but who cooks in Greece? The room was clean, outlook from bedroom window was of the next hotel - but we don't spend much time in our room! it was quiet at night and the air con effecient. Breakfast was probably the biggest let down all prepacked from Lidl! (Yes they appear to have them in greece!) No fresh fruit or Greek Yogurt - basic, even the crossiants came foil packets - not the best breakfast I've ever had! The pool area was clean, not so sure about the pool and certainly the jaccuzi needed some attention! However the beach is just down the road. If you do stay make sure you check out the sunbathing space on top of bar roof!Tavernas and bars are a short walk away. Thinking about this hotel, it does appear to have a great reputation but really needs to try a little harder to earn it. Improve breakfast and keep pool and Jacuzzi cleaner would be good place to start!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 October 2009

Friendly service, I love this place. The price is great why would you stay anywhere else? Thank you giannis for helping us getting around Kamari

Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 October 2009

Great location - a few minutes walk from the beach and loads (and loads) of restaurants and bars - which means you get the best of both worlds: easy access to everything but quiet back at the hotel. The hotel has everything you need, and is clean and tidy. Yanni (the owener) is helpful (in a straightforward way) and gave us a lift back to the airport when we left - which was very handy.

Breakfast is basic - but you can have as much as you like.

Kamari is also the best place to stay in my opinion. For the reasons above but also because you don't have to climb up and down a mountain to get to a beach. You can also get a boat from Kamari beach to Perissa Beach for an easy change of scene. Other places are definitely worth seeing on the island - but Santorini is so small it's not a problem (and there are probably more mopeds, quads and cars for hire than there are prople on the island!)

Reviewed 6 October 2009

Reading all the reviews before booking and now after returning from our Greece trip I am still somewhat in awe. I might say why me, I can't believe thought that this only happened to us. We weren't expecting too much besides decent service and a place to stay for a few days while in Kamari. After final getting confirmation on our booking back in August the owner(Giannis?) told me to email him the day before we arrived so he could pick us up(we were coming into port on high speed cat). I emailed him two days before and again the day before asking him to please confirm so we were not stranded at the port. No response, I got worried and although not having an international calling plan( I was using data email on my phone for everything I could) I tried to make a call before we got on the ferry with no answer. We hoped for the best but when we arrived at the port around 7-8PM no one from Atalos was anywhere to be seen. I made another $1.29 a minute call with no answer, then another and got an answer. I don't expect everyone to speak English but this person did not know much and she handed the phone to someone else. I said we were waiting at the port and no one was here and what should be do? Silence. I stated do we need to take a taxi? Response was yes, taxi, taxi or bus. Great. We found a taxi and negotiated rate, 15 Euros, so over $25 US dollars already to a hotel that was supposed to pick us up. We arrived, the place looked as expected. It is kind of on a desolate strip of road but its cheap and close to beach, main road. We made our way through the front gate and by the pool to reception. It was about 8:30 at this time. The reception door was locked, lights out, nothing. By this time it was dark, we were tired, the wind had picked up and we were getting cold in our beachware. We knocked, walked around the entire complex, didn't see a soul in sight. I tried calling yet again, no answer. Called again, answer - I said we are here to check in and no one is here. I got what I thought was yes, yes, yes, 5 minutes, 5 minutes, 5 minutes and a hangup. At this point we were wishing we had booked somewhere else. 15 minutes later we were ready to start walking down the road in hopes of finding another hotel. I tried calling again and at that time a car pulled up fast and I heard a car door shut. I woman came in and started opening up bar area, she asked for my confirmation and she was trying to get us a drink for arriving - we both didnt want anything, just our room. I don't think she could sense or understand our frustration and I must admit I did feel bad for her. She was trying and brought us to our room, showed us where were were on map, explained breakfast, gave us a bottle of water. Her english understanding was not great, but she did try and do what she was supposed to do for guests. We had an apartment room, the decoration....well not sure how to explain it - 12 year old girls princess themed? The blanket for the bed was in the kitchen and was old and ratty. We weren't expecting much but after everything we began thinking we can't stay here. We know it is a budget no frills type place but maybe our stay in Mykonos for not much more raised our expectations of service and the room. We probably disliked the room even more because of our mood at that point, that I will admit. I had remembered one other place we had looked at that was considerably more in price. We called and they gave us a decent rate and free upgrade and said they would pick us up down the road(they didnt know where this hotel was). I went downstairs to let the person who let us in that we were leaving, I did feel bad but we had already dropped $5 in phone calls and $25 on cab ride to get here and we weren't going to pay to stay. Not much of a surprise that they had already left, everything was closed up, car was gone and no one was around again. We grabbed our bags, petted a skinny cat that was following us around, wished we had some food to give it, and left a note with room key by front reception door. Headed down the road with bags and was promptly picked up by driver from Tamarix Del Mar. We were so happy to get to our room at Tamarix Del Mar, not as happy with the bill but at this point we were more then happy to pay. I hope ours was an isolated incident but I just don't see how this happens at the same time other people are making this place and its SERVICE none the less #1 in Kamari. This was the biggest dissapointment of our entire 2 weeks in Greece.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Caleb B
santo77, owner at Atalos Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2009

We are sincerely sorry that you did not enjoy your experience at Atalos Villas. However, we would like to set the record straight regarding your complaint.

To begin with, the only contact we had from you prior to your arrival in Santorini was your email expressing your desire to stay at Atalos Villas, at the quoted amount of 30 Euros a night. This email was sent on the 20th August.

Therefore, we were not expecting your call on the 28th September and unfortunately I was at the airport awaiting guests, so was unable to make my way to the port at such short notice.

When you arrived at the villa, I do apologise that the reception area was closed; however, it does clearly state on Trip Advisor (in hotel amenities) that the front desk is only open for a limited number of hours each day.

I am also sorry that the room was not to your liking; we do have suites available which may have met your expectations better for a honeymoon. However, again we had not heard from you since the 20th August and it would have been impossible to reserve such a room for you at a rate of 30 Euros.

We would like Trip Advisor readers to know that we did not charge you, either for your first night or the remaining nights that you had booked with us. We hope that your requirements were satisfied at the Tamarix Del Mar, but please do bear in mind that as a 5 star hotel it is not ideal for those on a budget. We could have accommodated you in our top deluxe room for a considerably lower rate had you made us aware of your wishes.

Giannis Argyros.
Owner of Atalos Villas Hotel.

Reviewed 3 October 2009

Very nice owner and his wife. Hotel was clean and nice. They also have a pool which was clean, good location, just 5 min walk to the centre. You can rent a scooter/car in the hotel with the discount. Breakfast was nice: honey, marmelade, butter, croassont, fresh fruit, yoghurt, coffe/tee. You get a free pick up and drop off at the airport. You can ask him for proposals where to eat or buy things and his tips were great. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kamari
Hotel Matina
Santellini Boutique Hotel
Anassa Deluxe Suites
Anassa Deluxe Suites
#2 of 75 in Kamari

Been to Atalos Suites? Share your experiences!