“We will be back”

Ranked #74 of 75 Hotels in Kamari
Chichester, United Kingdom
“We will be back”
Reviewed 17 October 2012

After two difficult years looking after sick parents, this was going to be the first real break for me and my husband. I found this offer on Groupon, and thought that it would do the both of us good to get away in the sunshine for a week. Not having used Groupon before, I was advised by my daughter to speak to the Hotel before I brought the deal to make sure that the dates we were looking to go would be available. I telephoned and spoke to Elina, who spoke excellent English, and she said that she would speak to the manager to check the dates and get back to me within 24 hours to confirm. This she did with confirmation that my dates would be fine.

I bought the deal, and then looking on Tripadvisor (I know it's the wrong way round, but as I said before, I am new at using Groupon, and Tripadvisor). After reading some of the reviews, I was, to say the least, extremely apprehensive about our holiday, and thought that I had made a big mistake. I mentioned the planes and the quality of some of the rooms to my husband, who was just looking forward to a week away.

We had no transfers arranged, but were greeted by a taxi driver at the airport who said he would charge us €15 for the trip. We took him up on his offer and off we went. Upon arrival at the hotel he helped carry our bags to reception.

Elina was on reception and offered us a welcome drink whilst we registered. After completing the registration paperwork, a porter was called to take our bags, and we followed him to the room. Still very nervous about what I had read, you can imagine how delighted I was when he showed us to a lovely room (number 46) on the ground floor overlooking the pool. The room had a small terrace with two chairs and a table and was tucked in the corner, so not too overlooked. In the room there was a large double bed with bedside tables, a sofa, two dressing tables, one with a fixed hairdryer and a chair, and a double wardrobe with drawers under. There was also a television, but we didn't even turn it on during our stay, so couldn't comment on that. Behind an attractive curtain there was a sink and a fridge. To the side, behind a sliding door, was a small but adequate shower room. I know that the shower area was not fantastic and each time you had a shower the water spilled over and ran onto the floor, but that is why there was another drain just outside the shower area, and by my experience of Greece, this is the way they do it.

We quickly unpacked, changed, the weather was about 28°C, a lot better that the 9°C we had left behind in UK, and went off exploring. We took the 10 minute walk to Kamari, where we found a variety of restaurants, shops, supermarkets, car hire places and much more. Yes you do walk across the pebbled beach, which, with flip flops, is a bit uncomfortable, but if you don't like that you can always use the road to get to "The Strip", which will take you a little longer I understand, as we did the beach walk at least once a day. It was good exercise, as we did spend a lot of our time trying the local food and wine.

As it was coming to the end of the season, so some of the restaurants and shops were closing for the Winter, but there were still plenty to choose from. Over the week we saw a lot more restaurants close, but, there were still our favorites left to eat in. Speaking to the staff, most of them will be closed by around 27th October.

I can understand that in July and August it is going to get very busy both in the hotel and also on the island itself, but my advise would be, if you want to get to the sunbeds either by the pool or on the beach before the others, go in late September/early October. The weather will be bearable, and you will get wonderful service from all the staff at the hotel, as we did. We were looked after very well in the bar and restaurant by Agatha and Giamis, and also the lady who cleaned our room, not sure of her name, it was either Tania, Ludmila or Vasilis. Each day our bed was made, all the towels and shower mat were changed, and it was dusted and the floors mopped. The sheets and pillow cases were changed at least once during our week's stay, and a bowl of fresh fruit was left on our second day.

Finally, I must mention the planes. Yes they do fly very low over the hotel, but, as the write-up says, you are only 4K from the airport. We counted them one day and there were only 8 planes that landed during the whole day, the first one at about 9.30 in the morning. You only hear them for about 10 seconds as they make their approach, which in the whole scheme of things, is not long. I would rather be able to fly directly onto the island, putting up with a bit of noise for a minute or so a day, than have to take a ferry from the mainland, spending about 8 hours on a boat.

To sum up, a lovely hotel, very friendly, helpful staff (the light over the dressing table went one morning. I mentioned it to our housemaid and within 5 minutes, maintenance had arrived to change it). I couldn't fault it and we will definitely be going back next year in either May or October, and neither of us can wait.

Room Tip: Room 46 very good
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
11 Thank Sue C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Greek first
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 October 2012

The staff is very friendly and provide a very good service.

I have just completed my first lesson in Greek language at Thalassa Hotel with Grigoria (night reception)
I learned the words bee and fast!
Bee = Melissa (Melissa Choong)
Fast = Grigora (Grigoria Kirkoudi)

The room condition can be improve, the duvet and bed sheet is very old.

Black beach is just right behind the hotel. But you will need a car for travel to Fira or Oia.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Melissa C
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 October 2012

A pleasant and peaceful (but mid-range) place to stay if you're looking for a chance to escape the rat race.

LOCATION. Located in a quiet spot outside Kamari, Thalassa residents can access their own very quiet, private (black) beach, to watch beautiful Greek sunsets, or swim with the fish which can be seen close to the shore. It's also within an easy - less than 10 minute - walk to Kamari, for shopping, restaurants, excursions, or access to public transport (which is superb, always on time, and can help you travel throughout the island - to Oia and Fira, or to a local outdoor cinema - easily and very cheaply). Quads, cars and scooters can also be hired here.

HOTEL'S FACILITIES. On the very positive side, the hotel's public facilities - a swimming pool, 'dipping' pool, restaurant and outside eating/ drinking facilities are all very attractive, well-maintained, clean and guests are well provided for. The food was generally reasonably good (although don't expect lots of variety or seafood).

LESS POSITIVELY. The two main disappointments we encountered were the quality of the rooms/ apartments; and the rediculously overpriced services on offer.

The room was housed in what was a very pretty little building from the outside. On the inside, although clean, it was fairly shabby and had a bit of an ongoing damp smell, despite daily cleaning and open windows. No glasses, cups, kettle or iron were provided (although there was a fridge which helped). Air conditioning was limited to the bedroom area. And the bathroom looked like it could really have benefited from being (inexpensively) spruced up. (The bins for used toilet paper - and yes I know this isn't solely a Greek thing - didn't help).

Do be wary of charges for optional services. I was charged €60 for two 5-10 minute journeys to and from the airport, arranged by the hotel. (I did try to book transfers elsewhere online but couldn't see any cheaper. If there's a next time, I'll turn up at the airport and take my chances). Their prices for Santorini excursions also appear to be around twice that charged by Kamari tour agents. Do also be prepared to pay London plus prices for an on-site beautician. .

Leaving those things aside though, it's a good little hotel to base yourself in so long as you get a good deal on price, don't opt for the 'extras', and get a little more demanding than we were regarding room quality.

Room Tip: Possibly worth being a little more demanding than we were and asking if there are other, better room...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank greek_cats_are_us
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 October 2012

We booked a superior double at this hotel for four nights via Groupon as part of a two-week island hopping holiday - apparently saving about £900 to stay at this luxury four-star hotel and spa so we were obviously really looking forward to a little bit of luxury.

From checking in onwards I was utterly disappointed. This was the most expensive hotel we stayed in over our two weeks and it was also by far the worst. Why? Well let me tell you...

- The room. The rooms look great on the website - I must ask them who took the photos/which design agency they used to edit them as our room looked NOTHING like it - and bear in mind this was supposed to be a "superior double". there was nothing superior about it - the bathroom stank of sewage, drain was rusty, the room was dusty, the "double" bed was two twins pushed together, and all the dated furniture looked like it had been reclaimed from some 70s hotel.

We went to reception and explained it looked nothing like the website and the receptionist agreed with us (!) - in fact she almost finished our sentence, it was as if she had heard it so many times before. The next day we were moved to a room more like the pretty ones on the website, but the fact is we should never have been in that shoddy room in the first place and paid for one night of our four to stay in that one. If they are selling "superior" doubles they should damn well put people in them!! (Oh and when I asked the receptionist what the difference was between a superior and a standard double she said she didn't know!!) We were also given a basket of fruit to make up for it, but since both oranges in there were mouldy we weren't too impressed! And of course NO ONE ever actually apologised.

- Food. Our Groupon deal also included a 3-course evening meal. If you get offered it, your best bet would be to decline. It was HORRIBLE, greasy, reheated food. We ordered a litre of wine to go with it and it came in a 75cl (?!) bottle with a screw top that didn't match the bottle. We would have complained about not being given the amount we had paid for, but the wine was so utterly horrible, we left most of it. It was served by a particularly sleazy waiter who spent his time during the day harassing any young vaguely attractive women and letching at anyone who went to the pool bar.

- Pool - the pool was nice (there you go, a positive). However there were nowhere near enough sunbeds for everyone staying there and people would reserve them with their towels and then disappear off. Even though there were signs saying this was not allowed, it was never enforced. We were there in mid September, I can only imagine how it is in high season. There also didn't seem to be enough pool towels for everyone.

- Planes - I thought the comments about low-flying planes were exaggerating. They weren't. It didn't bother me massively (we actually found it quite amusing) but we were looking for a relaxing bit of luxury - having a 747 flying right above your head is not conducive to relaxing.

- Transfers - Of the five hotels we stayed at in Greece, all of which were cheaper (some significantly so), this was the ONLY one that didn't offer complimentary transfers. They charged 30Euros each way (extortionate and more expensive than a taxi so we decided to hire a car for four days for not much more!)

- Location. This hotel is right at one end of the main strip of Kamari (hence being right next to the airport). It's not a long walk to the main part, but having seen all the hotels that are more central (and no doubt better value or nicer) I would recommend people look at other hotels in Kamari.

I can only think that any positive reviews on here were people who stayed in the nicer rooms that we were later moved to, have very low standards or somehow paid an absolute bargain rate.

And those who say that this is four-star Greek accommodation and you shouldn't expect UK standards, that is rubbish. As I said, I stayed at cheaper and lower class hotels on my trip that were far superior to this in every way.

Simply put, this hotel mis-sells its rooms and its facilities by misleading people with its website. Avoid, avoid, avoid!!!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank skibunny_1979

Travellers are raving about these Kamari hotels

Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 29 September 2012

We booked this hotel 3 days before arriving, because there was a problem with our reservation at the Kamari beach hotel.

From the time we checked in, they made as feel welcome! Mimoza you were very friendly and helpful and helped us with all our concerns.
Agata, at the breakfast, was so helpful and never looked tired, although she must have been after the season. Was always ready for a laugh and chat.
Fotini, you are great, and told me so much about Greece and the people,
Grigoria, thank u for keeping me company when I was sitting in the lobby at night or when I came back in the early morning hours. Thank u for making all the calls to our airline and try to help us with the flight schedule changes.

This hotel is not on Kamari, but only about 5min walk, which is ok. The rooms and bathrooms are not great, but the pool and surroundings are beautiful. Breakfast is also wonderful.

I cant understand some of the bad reviews of this hotel, we came as guests and leave as family!!!
Thank you, will definately return.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank MaritzaWilson
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 September 2012

We booked this hotel as part of what we thought was a great Groupon deal. However, on arrival it was clear this was no 4 star hotel. The rooms were standard Greek holiday types and the bathrooms smaller than my shed. If on the toilet you'd have the shower curtains to contend with for example.
They say they supply towels for beach and pool. 2 days on the spin, no towels available, I queried this with reception to which the reply was we could use the towels from our room... the towels which were wet after our shower. This actually done us a favour as we decided not to bother with the hotel for the rest of our week and walked the 10 minutes into Kamari beach every day and had a better trip than expected.
This hotel isn't near anything apart from the airport and if you enjoy waking up every night thinking a plane is going to enter your room then this place is for you.
We also attempted to eat dinner here for the first night but ended up standing in the restaurant hoping to be seated for 10 minutes before giving up.
The breakfast in the morning was terrible and not sure who they are catering for. I had breakfast zero days here and my wife 3... and she always has breakfast but even she gave up with soggy bread (toast) and not much else on offer.
You can use the spa and steam room with no fuss so there is a plus!
The marketing team here have done wonders with their photos to make it look impressive, but believe me, I wouldn't stay here again.
We would have left this hotel if we could have got a refund but luckily we stayed the other side of the island week 2 which I've also reviewed. Volcano views

Room Tip: Book somewhere on the beach in Kamari, this is a hotel right next to the airport
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Mr_Livers
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 September 2012

The location is fantastic.The island is stunningly beautiful so make sure you go and explore.The rooms are dated and small and could do with an upgrade.However,this is what you expect from a hotel in Greece.If you are looking for 4star Uk style accommodation then you will have to pay more than this. The hotel has amazing staff who are more than willing to help and find solutions to any problems. For the price,the hotel is great,in a great location offering a good base from which to explore this stunning island! You get exactly what you pay for. Stop moaning and have a fabulous holiday!

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank firsttraveller2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kamari
Mediterranean Beach Resort
#18 of 75 in Kamari
Epavlis Hotel
Epavlis Hotel
#31 of 75 in Kamari

Been to Thalassa Sea Side Resort & Suites? Share your experiences!