“Good Location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of smartline Margarita Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Laganas
smartline Margarita Hotel
Ranked #2 of 77 Hotels in Laganas
“Good Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

Good location for what we wanted, just outside 'lively' area but close enough to walk 10-15 mins to the strip, and only 5mins walk to restaurants. Beautiful island, would recommend the ship wreck beach! Visited Sept 2011. Food & service good. Stayed in 'revamped' room, very nice!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nwalker123

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Erskine Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013

We were a party of 3 - my husband, myself and our 9 year old son and we stayed here from the 10th October until the 17th. Upon arrival to the hotel after a short 10 minute transfer from the airport, we were warmly greeted by Margarita and her staff who promptly got us checked in and gave us our table number, which as you have probably read on previous reviews, this was the same table you would go to throughout the duration of the holiday. You may be seated with other guests but before I arrived, I had requested our own table purely because my son is quite shy and wouldn't have relaxed the same sitting with strangers initially. This was granted with no problems whatsoever. The rooms were bright, spacious but most of all extremely clean and were cleaned 6 out of the 7 days (except Sunday-although toilet bin was emptied) with towels changed regularly. I had taken nappy sacks to make the toilet set-up (ie putting toilet paper in the bin as opposed to flushing it) a bit easier. To be perfectly honest, this is not a problem and you soon get into the habit of doing this, even my son managed. It may seem strange if you have never visited Greece before and so never had to do it but it is fine and not as bad as it sounds. We didn't pay for air-conditioning as we tried out the room on first night and temperature was fine. We did pay for the safe however to put passports etc in. I think this was 10 Euros for the week.
When you go to the restaurant for meals, it is such a relaxed atmosphere as you just pick up your drinks at the bar on the way in and sit at your designated table for breakfast, lunch and dinner, which I thought was a great idea! You don't have staff waiting on the tables as far as getting you drinks, just clearing you dirty plates away as you go along and you can visit buffet as many times as you like. If you require a drink top-up the bar is right next to the restaurant, so no problem at all and I found the drinks I had perfectly acceptable and not watered down as previous reviews have stated. The staff serving them were always very pleasant given this must be a thankless task. We ate all our meals at the hotel, as the food was of such a high standard that paying to eat at another establishment when all inclusive and enjoying what was on offer didn't make a lot of sense. The food was very fresh with lots of vegtables, salad and fruit (home-grown in many cases), pasta dishes, chicken, pork, roast beef, potatoes, cheese, cold meat, bread, soup etc along with a range of desserts and ice-cream. So at lunch and dinner, the food options were always varied and plenty on offer to suit everyone. My son had no problem finding dishes to eat but he isn't a fussy eater and thorougly enjoyed all he had including the crisp, fresh salads. At breakfast, there was eggs cooked various ways including fried. Also bacon, sausages, beans, hash browns, fried bread along with a more continental offering if you didn't fancy the old traditional fry up of cereals, breads, cheese. ham, home-made jams and of course greek yogurt and honey (delicious!). We all found the food to be absolutely delicious and looked forward to each dining experience. To us, it was so relaxed you felt as though you were eating at a family/friends home. Having read a previous review about food poisoning which I am sure would have been a terrible experience for the individual concerned, I have to reassure you that having consumed 3 meals a day there over 7 days plus snacks at the bar that my son ate, we never had any such problems. So as previously stated, the food was an absolute pleasure and a joy to eat and the hotel highly recommended for this alone.
Before I do go on, as we visited Laganas late on in the season, it was a wee bit like a ghost town with many establishments already closed for the winter. However, some restuarants were still open and offering you 50% discounts to eat there but still didn't tempt us away from Margarita's lovely food!! There were also a lot of souvenir shops still trading, so no problems picking up a few gifts if needed. I know some people visiting found this a problem as it was so quiet but for my family and I and what we were looking for, this in no way affected the enjoyment of our holiday. Oh and the beach is just a 10 min walk away from the hotel and you can walk along this to the next resort.
We didn't end up going on any excursions as my son was happy to stay at the hotel but I know a few of the guests did catch the bus into Zante town which cost 1 Euro 60 but be advised the shops do close down in the afternoon for a few hours up to 5pm, so either go in the morning or evening if it is purely for shopping purposes.
On the first morning, we went down to the family pool as I mentioned because we had a 9 year old. There were also couples without children choosing to use this pool rather than the quieter one but both pools looked very pleasant. The entertainment guys Ant and Aaron would start around 10am and play some music but just in the background and for me, I do enjoy listening to music whilst still being able to read my book, so not blaring by any means. My son was initially quite shy but after Ant asked him to join in a game of football (which is a passion of his) he took on a whole new lease of life and came right out of his shell so to speak. From then on, he wanted to visit the pool every day so he could join in the activities on offer. As I said the guys are there from 10am to early afternoon and then come back at 3pm for a few hours. They also do the entertainment in the evening, so all credit to them for their hard work and getting both kids and adults involved in activities such as football, table tennis, darts, lawn darts, french boules etc. I have to state though, they absolutely do not force you to participate or try to drag up up or anything, so for me this was perfect as I could just quietly observe my husband and son participating. When you won an activity, you got presented with a certificate at night and some free bingo tickets,so we did end up visiting the evening entertainment for my son to collect his winnings. At night, there was a kids disco, followed by bingo and then the nights we were there, Aaron entertained us with his singing and a quiz on another evening. All perfectly enjoyable and a bit of light-hearted fun and again the two guys did a great job. So a big pat on the back for you both! I have to say a special thank you to Ant though on behalf of my son, as he really took to him and probably followed him about like a wee shadow but as he is very sporty in nature, he just seemed to find a bond with Ant in particular for this reason. So thanks Ant for being so kind and patient. I think you have made a friend for life - ha ha! He is still talking about you guys and misses you! Hope you are taking care of the football! So again many thanks to both Aaron and Ant for the time they spent with my son, bringing him out of his shell and making him feel special and one of the guys! Take care guys and safe journey home when you finish up at the end of the season. It was really nice to meet you both!
Just a little continuation on about the pool, the bar opened from 10am to 6pm whereby drinks and snacks were available. Yes there were wasps but I have to say they didn't bother me in the slightest and I do have a fear of them. The only time they would come near you was if you had a sweet sugary drink and I just avoided these and had water, coffee or beer to which they didn't like any.
So all in all, we had an amazing time at the Margarita Hotel and if you are looking for a relaxing time, delicious food and a spotlessly clean hotel, then give it a go. You can really feel the family atmosphere this hotel offers and it creates such a nice ambience and we found it to be perfect for our needs. My son also created lasted memories which for me is priceless. So thank you once again Margarita and all your extended family and staff for all your hard work throughout our week with you. Everyone was so helpful and friendly. There was also a great bunch of people staying there when we visited which always helps and nice to make some new acquaintances. So I would definetely recommend this hotel to families based on the time of year we travelled.
Just a last minute word of warning about Zakynthos airport - as you have to dispose of drinks before going through security, I purchased 3 bottles of soft drinks for the flight home on the other side and it cost me over 10 Euros so very expensive. Also filled baguettes at the airport were 5 Euros each but luckily we had planned ahead and bought filled baguettes for 1 Euro 50 each that morning which were delicious from the 24 hour shop in Laganas. This of course was because we didn't purchase meals for the flight. So airport really expensive so might be better, certainly cheaper to buy drinks on board the flight. Bit of a rip-off nearly £10 pounds for 3 soft drinks! Apart from that, the airport was no problem at all.
So if you visit Hotel Margarita in the future - enjoy!!! I know after a few days of this pouring rain in Scotland, I certainly wish I was back!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Ann Marie M
manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

Stayed at this hotel end of September for 1 week - we arrived and had a really speedy check-in was greeted by Margarita who was friendly. We had one the refurbished rooms which i must say was nice but basis. The beds are a little hard and the fridge is noisey. The food was nice and different every day and found something to eat every day. The lamb was excellent and fell off the bone. The pool was ok but quite possible due to the time of the year we went. All the staff are friendly. The entertainment team could have done more as night time entertainment was BINGO for 1 hour and then a quiz. could have done more with the time they were there. the Hotel is 10min from strip and 10 mins from beach would definitely return to this hotel

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kotoyates
England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

Stayed with a few mates in July and can't believe how many positive reviews there are based on my experience.

It is a lads type hotel, as recomended by the Thomson travel agent.

Spent half my time in bed with food poisoning. Diagnosed when I got home as suffering from the Campylobacter bug which is a notifiable desiese. Nice letter from the NHS to confirm this.

Drinks watered down, service was poor and not an enjoyable holiday.

Room Tip: Becareful of what you eat. Make sure it is fully cooked.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Evs_family
Morayshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

Just had 2 weeks of a lovely relaxing holiday at this hotel. Arrived just after lunch and was very quickly given our room key at reception from Margarita herself. Our room was lovely but the shower was tiny, when we went back to pay for a safe key (€18 for 2 weeks) I enquired if there was any chance off a room with a bigger shower so Margarita said if we could wait a couple of days she would move us. We got moved to a beautiful family room, 2 bedrooms and a lovely large shower. The rooms are kept spotlessly clean as is the whole hotel. We didn't pay for the air conditioning and we were quite comfortable
The pool areas were lovely and always plenty of sunbeds, we never used the quiet pool, always staying at the pool with the bar and activities - killer darts, lawn darts, French boules, water polo etc. The entertainers Aaron and Antonelle did there best to get everybody involved. Bingo every night with some good cash prizes.
The food was lovely, a good selection and always well cooked using fresh ingredients, some of which were grown across in their own allotment.
We always found the staff polite and helpful.
Regarding Laganas itself - lots of places closing down as near to end of the season, didn't bother us as we are past partying into the early hours. Some nice places to eat out we ate out 3 times during the fortnight, Vanilla, Robin Hood and Cicero's and because it was end of season you were getting really god deals €14 for 3 courses and unlimited drinks.
Didn't do any of the trips but Jen the rep was very nice and although she gave you lots of I information she wasn't pushy.
Enjoyed the break in the Margarita but wouldn't hurry back to the resort itself, but if a good deal for a week holiday came up I would go back just for the hotel.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Lorraine G
Glenrothes, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

We stayed here beginning of October for 7 nights.I will try and leave an honest review as possible.Laganas at this time of the year is on a downward spiral,places shut or shutting.Tsilivi is more for mature adults at this time,plus more relaxed.Think of this before you book here out of season.Kalamaki had more open,and its much smaller.We were unlucky with Weather,rain and storms for four days :( Hotel is about a ten minute walk to strip,turn right out hotel continue to T junction opposite Taj Mahal,right again to junction opposite Go Karts and your on strip.Not much up the way so head down to your left,also takesyou to beach.Hotel is nice and clean,refurbished rooms are nicer try and get one of these.Two nice outdoor pools.Food is good if somewhat limited depending on where you have stayed before,do not book thinking its going to be Spanish Buffet style! However they do use local produce so quality is good,plus they have their own veggie plots across from Hotel :) Its an All Inclusive only hotel,but we had fridge and kettle in our room which was handy.Most of the staff are friendly,however I will finish with a big downside at end of review.Drinks again are somewhat limited,do not expect loads of Cocktails etc,but measures were bigger than norm.Wine was quite good,quite potent! They struggled when we were there for seating at night due to bad weather.Hopefully be better if sunny outside.Reception,lounge,bar,Restaurant are combined into one area.As other people have stated you are allocated a table with other people,you might like or not,we did, we met some nice couples.So would we return? No,if only for the ****head,one of the Margarita Family who for some reason thought it was funny to throw a friendly little cat which guests had been feeding,picking it up by the scruff of the neck and hurtling it out of a window.We never saw it after that :( So if you are animal lover a boycott of this hotel might put a stop to this kind of crap

Room Tip: Walls are paper thin so if you are a light sleeper rooms away from road might be better,maybe!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RussAbb1317
Hamilton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

My husband and I stayed in this hotel late September for 1 week and must say we enjoyed every minute. This is a very efficiently run family hotel by Margarita and everything is to a very good standard. We could not find fault in any respect, clean, good food, friendly relaxed atmosphere. We met some lovely guests during our stay here and had a great time. Would definitely return. Margarita, family and all staff should be proud of the excellent service they provide.

Room Tip: We were allocated Room 236 in the refurbished block, good size room and balcony. Brilliant shower.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple