“THE ISLAND OF DREAMS”

Helen & Theo Studios
Ranked #37 of 73 Hotels in Laganas
Reviewed 30 September 2013

taz/yani and family fantastic could not do enough to make our hols special.have a nice break looking forward to see you all next year get spirit level on pool table sean may play abit better or me. no traffic noise what can you say when you have had a good time you cannot complain

Room Tip: you get the sun in morning on the back rooms and pool rooms in afternoon that's hotter but that...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank trevor j

Reviewed 15 August 2013

Stayed here - 25 July - 9 August 2013 - Had an upstairs room which was brilliant! lovely and large, AC, massive shower (fully working, lots of hot water). Yes, crockery did not match, (does that really matter? (NO!) only one mug... come on!! just ask for another...no bother... got another mug within minutes. Loads of power points! Taz, Janis, Nikki and George cannot do enough for you. Bar open all night long, Rooms, sheets, towels cleaned every other day... This is a 3 star not a 5 star. We had a very large balcony, and really good double glazed windows + shutters. We had Nikki's BBQ and it was fabulous. Everyone was served with a jacket potato, pork fillet, sausage, lamb chop, chicken on their plate, then you helped yourselves to plenty of salad, bread and sauces. It was very filling and tasted gorgeous!
Do not be put off by the colour of the pool (which I was at first) the water was brown instead of blue and I stayed clear of it for the first few days, then I had a better look....and I could not believe that I could have been so dump. It was the reflection of the bottom of the pool, instead of blue/white tiles, they had light brown. The water was crystal clear and very refreshing.
Where the apartments are positioned is great, you only have to walk about 5 minutes or less to the main bars and restaurants (not the main strip - that is another 15 minutes walk away.) We loved going to the Amegos Bar, and the Fantasy Bar (had great Karaoke nights in there!)
The beach is fabulous except for the pedlers constantly asking if you want Fruit, Hats, Watches, Sun-Glasses or Massage. But just keep your head down and they get the message. Our best restaurant was the Island.
I forgot to say...my husband and I are late 50's and was not put off by the youngsters.
We would highly recommend Helen Studios (upper floor), ground level the double glazing were not as good, shower did not work as well, these were built before the upper floor and it shows.
Yamis!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for upper level, we had room 12 which was brilliant but Room 9 would be even better as it was f...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank RATZWILLBTIEU
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Stopped in this hotel a few years back.

Hotel is in a good location but thats about it.

Rooms where okay, clean and very basic, Bathroom was dirty and the outside pool shower was better than the one in the room.

Pool area was nice however the hotel owner told me and my friends off for getting in and out the pool to often as this is wasting water??

We gave all our left over booze to the hotel bar when we left, we also as if we could keep one room as a late as possible as we would have to spend 15 hours out of the room until pick up, the room was free however the owner wanted us to pay a stupid price per person. We decided to camp out around the pool area (making sure we didn't splash any water) Weirdly enough a group of girls kept their room for half the price?

Wouldn't go back in a rush

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Dudepotter
Reviewed 28 January 2013

I enjoyed my stay at Helen Studios and it was incredibly nice of Helen to let us stay there. My favourite part of my stay at Helen's Studio was the tasty fungi that was accumulating beside the pool. Every morning we were woken by the calming and beautiful sound of Goats mating outside our balcony. Although it must be noted that it is very hot in Greece. No one in Greece can choose to not vote. Voting is required by law for every citizen who is 18 or older. The largest wildcat in North America is the jaguar, which can be found in Mexico's southern jungles.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
6  Thank B A B
Reviewed 21 November 2012

If you want a clean well maintained apartment and the ability to self cater then don't go there. The toilet leaked leaving the bathroom floor constantly wet and dangerous. The shower curtain didn't contain the water and we had to tie the shower head up with string as there was no riser rail but that wasn't a problem as we only had hot water once during our week long stay. The beds were children size, very old and uncomfortable and the sheets only changed once on one of the beds and replaced with sheets with holes in. Take your own towels as the cleaners forgot to leave us any and we had to make do with a single hand towel. The freezer compartment of the fridge kept falling off and leaked so you couldn't put food on the shelves. The kettle either wouldn't turn off and got too hot to handle or kept turning off before boiling. The cutlery and plates were plastic, mismatched and minimal. Our room was cleaned once and as you have to put toilet paper in a bin this wasn't enough. If you use the bar then you'll probably get better service than we did. There was a large active wasp nest at the base of the stairs leading to the upstairs apartments. Concrete cancer rules and frankly the place needs condemning. We ended up booking into the Canada Hotel for our last night which was far superior and charged the same as the Helen studios. The reps couldn't care less but will give you a customer complaint form but don't bother with it as Thomas cook care even less and will just ignore your 'observations'.

Room Tip: There aren't any. They're all hovels.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Frances F
Reviewed 7 October 2012

Just got back from a 2 week stay in the annexe, my first solo trip and I'm so glad I chose to stay here! Ok, the facilities in the rooms are basic but in my experience they usually are in Greece. The room was clean and had everything I needed, the towels and sheets were changed twice a week which was ample. There was a sink, fridge, two hobs plates to cook on, cutlery, crockery, sandwhich maker etc. Also, plenty of coathangers for everything. If you happen to be in room 8, the taps for the kitchen and bathroom sink are lally (hot is cold, cold is hot) but had constant hot water and the shower (handheld but I do that at home as I'm very short and prefer that), had excellent water pressure and temperature.

Speaking of temperature, it was super hot whilst I stayed and at 80 euros for 2 weeks the air con is a must. The BBQ night is brilliant and a fab way to meet others staying at the hotel (many of whom I made friends with and keep in touch with, hoping to see them all again next year!) Nikki makes the best tzatsiki and all the food is delicious. There was also greek dancing which was alot of fun! The food and drink from the pool bar is reasonably priced and yummy and the pool was refreshing and fab. There are ample sunbeds and umbrellas for all and it's a nice pool area.

The family are so kind and honestly can't do enough for you. They even keep the pool bar open for those waiting to be collected to go back to the airport (4.30 for me), and I kept my room on for as long as I wanted to be in there before I left to be collected for 30 euros, which I felt was well worth it.

For me, the beds were gert comfy and I slept really well. The balcony is lovely and you can lower and raise the canopy over it as it suits you. Yannis was happy to call a taxi when I went to the strip alone, it's a flat 6 euros so don't let any driver try to charge you more! Agree the price before you start the journey.

Can highly recommend The Paradise opposite the bottom of the alley, they make some of the best cocktails I've tasted and are lovely people. Also, the Pink Panther is brilliant, The Canadian and Fantasy Bar are just two minutes down the road and are very good (however, ladies look out for the owners brother in Fantasy bar (Dennis, doesn't understand the word no it seems!)

For food, The Toad in the Hole, Vanilla and Panos are excellent, for food and value. There is a shop for water, bread etc just 2 mins away, go to the bottom of the alley and turn left, they'll also give you a free resort map.

I'm really hoping I'll be able to go back to Helen Studios next year, and if I'm honest every year. I felt so comfortable, which is brilliant as a female travelling alone. Choose Helen's Studios, you'll have a fab time I tell you!

Cheers, Shell, x

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank Michelle I
Reviewed 2 October 2012

Sorry, but don't agree with some of the reviews of these apartments. We have just returned from spending 2 weeks(in the annexe) at them and we had no issues at all. Yes, they are basic - as are most apartments in Greece. Our apartment was spotless, everything worked, plenty of plates/knifes/forks/spoons. Beds were clean, shower worked and there was plenty of hot water. Taz and all the staff couldn't do enough to help - the cleaners came in late morning or early afternoon - not like some that come in at the crack of dawn. Would have no problems going back there!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Norrie B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Laganas
Hera Zakynthos Hotel
Portego Hotel
#61 of 73 in Laganas
Paradise Apartments & Studios
Zante Plaza Hotel & Apartments

Been to Helen & Theo Studios? Share your experiences!