“Savvas Hotel, Laganas, Zakynthos 2014”
Review of Savvas Hotel

Savvas Hotel
Ranked #59 of 73 Hotels in Laganas
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We left Zante yesterday after a week at the Savvas Hotel from the 7th August 2014-14th August 2014.
The first day we arrived to Greece we had an 18-30's rep for Thomas Cook at the airport, to show us to our transfer which would take us to the hotel. We had read the reviews that were on this site and i can honestly say, the reviews are nothing to what it is actually like. We had read that you walked up a dirt path with goats everywhere where in fact, we got dropped to the petrol station by the transfer where another rep met us and took us to the bar (also their reception).

We had walked up a concrete road and there was one goat in a field on the right. There was other goats in the field past this goat, but this goat was ill and needed to be separated from the others due to it not eating. The goat was secure and couldn't leave the field and most of the time was lieing down. I do not understand how people would have had a problem with this as there wasn't a dirt track at all and the goats were secure away from the concrete road.

When we got to the bar we waited for another rep to take us to our rooms. He took us to our room where he then informed us of the 18-30's package for the parties that week. We paid €160 for the UV Party, Full Moon Party and another party. We realised after this that we spent a lot more money on these that we needed too. If the rep offers these to you don't buy them because as soon as you walk down the strip people approach you with a cheaper price. The reps make commission off the package deals.

We also paid €40 for the White Party off the strip where other people paid around €60 for them. I can honestly say that it was the biggest mistake that we made attending the White Party. The White Party was packed with people in the boiling heat and it was too uncomfortable to enjoy. The DJ we had never heard of before was terrible. The drinks were €5 each and you needed to go buy a ticket then go to the bar which was ridiculous in the heat. We had left the party after an hour. There must have been around 1000 people there and with the price range of €40-€60 a ticket air conditioning wouldn't have gone a miss.

The rooms were very basic. We had 3 beds, a bathroom, kitchen with very little self catering appliances, and a balcony. The maid came every other day to give us clean sheets and towels. There was 2 toilet rolls at the beginning of the week and we didn't receive any more we had to go and buy our own. There was 9 of us all together and they didn't give us 3 rooms next to each other we were scattered around the hotel. One of the rooms had a broken bed which didn't get fixed until the third day. We had informed the rep of this on the first day and a small boy and his father finally arrived on the Sunday. The bathroom was very basic. It had a sink, mirror, a toilet, anything but a shower. The "shower" was a shower head which didn't stand on the wall you had to hold it and wash yourself. You had a small square on the floor to stand on and it didn't have a curtain so water got everywhere and the floor got so wet it because a hazard.

The hotel had 3 swimming pools. We preferred the pools by the bar rather than the swimming pool at the back of the hotel. The pool at the back of the hotel was more of a relaxing pool. It had a swim up bar, sun loungers and music. All 3 of the pools had WiFi but the WiFi was only available at certain points of the pools (the bars). The main pools at the front of the hotel had a bar, a jacuzzi (which was out of order) and a slide. The slide had a massive dent in the side of it and wasn't on for most of the week. The pool was cleaned every day. The area around the pool was also cleaned everyday, they usually cleaned the pool around 8 am because the pool and the bar opened at 9 am. The bar closed at 3 am which meant that during the night the area was disgusting and it was covered with balloons and cups etc. but it got cleaned up the next morning and it was as good as new again.

The strip was around a 10-15 minute walk until you got to the good places on the strip. The strip is a really good night out and if you go to the UV Party etc. they usually have before and after parties. When the strip is busy there are gypsy's around usually really young. There was a young girl around 6 years old with glow sticks who would steal peoples money. The gypsy's would approach you and hug you but at the time steal your wallet or from your bum bag etc. It is a really scary thought and when you tell them to go away they push you and tell you to F Off. One of the gypsy's had a one year old approx. in her arm on her own with glow sticks stealing peoples money.

There are many rumours about the Savvas Bug, this put me and my friends completely off the idea of eating and drinking at the bar at the hotel. The rep said that it was the Zante bug not just the Savvas bug. We obviously didn't believe him because he works for the hotel and wanted to get us to eat and drink there. Most nights we went out and got our food and if we were hungover we just had chips or something from to bar to be safe. Not one of us received the Zante bug which is great. Must of us lost our voices from the laughing gas that was sold at the hotel etc.

Overall, our holiday was fantastic. I'm glad our holiday went so well as it was our first girls holiday. We met some incredible people, other guests at the hotel, the reps, people in the bars on the strip etc. it was amazing. But i wouldn't go to Zante again, i feel like if we did it again it would be a disappointment.

I hope this helps everybody and i've tried to give you as much details as i can and i have been 100% honest.

3  Thank Deanna C

Reviewed 14 August 2014

Firstly, we booked really late and were on a tight budget so didnt really have much choice so we went for Savvas, expecting the worst, especially after seeing reviews. When we got there it was a bit confusing where to check in because there isnt actually a reception or sign where to check in and we were just dropped by the pool with our suitcases and until we asked a guest staying there where to go, we were pretty clueless! Turns out check in is at the pool bar, also known as the reception. Every single staff member however was extremely friendly and very welcoming, making us feel at home instantly. I'm not sure if its because we booked through LateRooms or just because they had no other rooms left, but we weren't actually put in one of the rooms in the hotel blocks, but instead we were put in a studio flat about 4 minutes walk away down a dirt track, where an elderly lady called Maria took care of us and cleaned our room etc. Our rooms didnt have the option for an AC, so we had to pay 50 Euros for a fan for 7 nights, compared to the 20 Euros that the normal hotel rooms have to pay for a very good AC, which was a downer. We were convinced in to buying a wristband for 100Euros for the week, giving us free drinks from 7-12pm daily at the hotel bar or two sister bars, and a meal a day from 5Euros or under, and a pass to the BBQ, which at the time we thought was a great deal but soon realised it was not worth it. The food really is not nice and so we ate out almost every day, and also the free bar was during the time where everyone was getting ready to go out, so we only really ended up getting to the bar at 11. However, other than all that the staff were amazing and were really just like big kids! We had to ask for new towels etc from Maria, and also just a heads up - there is no shower head holder and so you have to hold it whilst you shower... and in the studios the water likes to play up and sometimes none comes through. Negatives aside - the pools are amazing! We didn't even get chance to go and see the second pool because we were so in love with the first. There are four separate pools in that area, in a great design that means that everyone is very sociable. There is such a great vibe no matter what time you go to the pool, be it 12pm or 1am, and the bar workers definitely contribute to this. All the guests are very friendly and have a great relationship with the staff. I have heard many places in Zante like to be cheeky and charge you for things that aren't your fault, however I didn't have any problems with this in Savvas! I know some people got charged for broken chairs etc... but that is a given. The only regret I have staying in Savvas is not asking to be placed in the main hotel, as the rooms were much nicer, cleaner, bigger and in a nicer environment than the studio flats round the corner. I would not so much recommend Savvas to a family, as I did not see a family there once, as it is very much a teenage-filled hotel, being part of the Thomas Cook holiday packs. Up until 4/5am it can be quite noisy around the rooms, however in Zante 4am is counted as quite early and noise would be expected anywhere. It has a great location, definitely 5 stars for that! It is located on the strip, however it is a distance up from the clubs and so is not a noisy area, but is close enough for a safe walk home, in a well lit area. The guests are all very pleasant, and it is guaranteed you will make friends who you will go out at night with, whether you are a sociable person or not! There is no tension or nasty vibes anywhere in the hotel, and not one ounce of snobbiness, even the Greek family who own the hotel spend their days by the pool and nights in the bar! WIthout a shadow of a doubt if I was ever to visit Zante again, Savvas Hotel would be the first place I would look for accommodation. Brilliant value for money, and everyone we spoke to there also agreed! Everyone had the same opinion, after reading reviews were expecting the worst, but it honestly is not bad! Just one word of warning - luckily enough I didn't catch it, but many speak of the "Savvas bug" - so watch what you eat! Oh and also... no matter where you stay in Zante, you will be ill at least once and will probably return with a destroyed throat and still sick, sooooo it isn't just Savvas! Brilliant work Team Savvas!

Room Tip: Ask not to stay in the studios!
1  Thank Ameera A
Reviewed 13 August 2014

After reading the reviews I was panicking and didn't wanna go. Upon arrival which was 9 in the morning the place was disgusting balloons and bottles everywhere. When I handed over my confirmation I was told my room was ready when I said was it a pool view (as requested) she said no and that I would have to wait three hours so me and my friend walked around for abit. When we came back the manager said " we have your pool side view room some lads swapped for you so I said you would f£@k them later" I was so so shocked and couldn't believe she had said this to me so disrespectful! Our room wasn't to bad it had everything we needed but it was far from clean it was disgusting. We went by the pool and quickly learnt by everyone we spoke to that people were getting ill and were being bed bound for 3-4 days. We decided not to eat or drink there and if we did it was only bottles or cans. We only went in the top pool as it was much cleaner and looked nicer there was no way I was going in the other as the filters were black. We tried to get bullied into the 100 euro deal they try to sell you this on arrival DONT DO IT.....totally not worth it you will end up ill...! We literally chilled by the pool during the day and did the strip at night. We didn't book through 18-30 but we did meet the reps and they were lovely jaz and Caroline are lovely and we bought the paint party tickets of them which was totally worth it and one of the best things we did. We had no hot water and the cleaner came twice leaving us to buy our own toilet roll!! When people asked us where we were staying and we replied "savvas" they laughed and said don't eat or drink there. It's okay for a girly holiday but don't expect much just use it as a bed I would. I wouldn't stay there again. The amount of people who flew home after 2-3 days of being there was unreal due to illness DO NOT EAT OR DRINK THERE!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2014
3  Thank Jannawakefield
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Disgusting rooms! Bedding disgusting waste coming in on to room floors due to bloked waste pipes Six girls holiday ruined staying here flown home very ill after salmonella poissoning!.........do not stay here WARNING!!!!!!"""!""""""

• Stayed: July 2014
4  Thank Heather R
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

Arriving at savvas hotel.. We were shown to the reception (bar) where flies flew crazy. The pool was horrible but we were shown to the back of savvas where the pool looked a lot better! The rooms were what I was expecting except the fact we paid for three rooms and got two but crammed an extra bed in which happened to be a sun bed with a mattress on it. The staff are absolutely amazing! Location is a little far away from the main strip but was easy walking distance. As a whole I probably wouldn't go back but don't be scared to give it a shot as it really isn't that bad. Worth the money you pay.

• Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

Me and 5 other friends stayed here last week. It cost us 530 quid for 15 days self catering it was a 2 star so we thought fair enough we will only be sleeping here as long as the rooms are clean then it will be fine. We got there and the reception looked like an old Wendy house which was actually a bar and it was filthy. One person from each room had to hand over their passport and looking at where it was being kept was quite worrying. Check in took at least an hour and a half and we were then told one room was going to take another 3 hours to be ready. The rooms looked ok on arrival the fridges were a bit minging and painted in side and the drains were disgusting but we could cope with that! We had no hot or warm in fact showers for two weeks! In the second day one of us had sickness and diarhorria on the second day and then by the 3rd day everyone had it so we were tied to the awful hotel for the first week and the pool staff are so rude. Our window was punched and smashed by another guest which was hanging in our shower and was not fixed at all. The maid cleaned our room once in 7 days which is bad enough but when people are throwing up on their sheets even worse! We did complain and the reps said they would look for another hotel for us but never did. Overall I need a holiday after that nightmare holiday! If you've already booked speak to Thomas Cook and demand a refund.

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Charlvictoria1234
Reviewed 12 August 2014

First things first - you're paying a seriously nominal fee and so what you're going to get isn't going to be what you get if you're paying to stay at a Hilton is it? We were in the new block at the back, the room was fairly clean, had everything we needed (though the hairdryer isn't overly good, but we had our own anyway), the air con was working perfectly fine for the 10 euros per day cost (definitely worth paying). The main issue with the room was the showers though, as I only had one luke-warm shower the whole week I was there, though, that didn't really bother me as it was pretty nice to cool off after being in the sun all day! Due to where our room was, we spent all of our time round the new pool with swim up bar, which was spot on. The staff at the hotel were fantastic and were really what made the hotel what it was for the group of us. We ended up paying the 100euros for the free bar from 7-12pm which we thoroughly enjoyed, whether I'd recommend it or not, I don't know as it's a matter of personal preference as to what you want to do for your pre-drinks I suppose, isn't it? Location wise, it was based right at the top of the strip so when it came to hitting the strip you were able to start right at the top of the bars, pick up the deals and make your way down to the clubs later on in the night, then take on the 10 minute stagger back, picking up some food on the way. All things taken in to account, the hotel was pretty good, and completely undeserving of some of the bad press which it has received!

Room Tip: Definitely a room in the back block as you aren't woken up by music from the pools in the mornin...