“I wish I could have stayed another week”

ClubHotel Riu Chiclana
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Novo Sancti Petri
“I wish I could have stayed another week”
Reviewed 1 September 2014

Great family hotel, lovely pools, awesome restaurants. We got a flight into Seville and drove from there, its about 1.5hrs, great main roads,(match German roads..on arrival we were greeted with a glass of orange each and told we could go and have lunch as room wasn't quite ready ( we were early) from then on everything was great, all inclusive food was varied and really good quality, we are vegetarian and there was good choice. Staff were very helpful and friendly. A lot of the guest were German and Spanish which was nice. I Would highly recommend 5 stars

• Stayed August 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Polish first
Fikriye
Reviewed 1 September 2014

We went to the Rui Hotel in Chiclana Spain
What an amazing exprience from the staff checking us in to all the resturant staff and bar staff
This hotel is one of the best hotel resorts we have ever stayed in.
The roms were absolutely great big double bed spotlessly clean rooms
The food was really amazing very spanish which is what we like the staff could not do enough for you nothing was to much trouble
The sea was cold but then this is the Atlantic Ocean side
The beach my god what a beach fantstic miles and miles of sand beautiful beautiful resort
Highly Recommended
Thank you to you all at the Rui Hotel you made our holiday truely wonderful we will certainly be coming back to you again.
Fikriyem

Room Tip: Block 21 only two stories have side Sea view and are quiet or any of the banglows new this block ar...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Crawley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 August 2014

My family and I chose this year to book a RIU Holiday ... Truly disappointed and will not use them again . Flight to Spain was fine, left LGW on time, we arrived at the hotel and was told our "family room" was the top of the complex .. away from everything and overlooking a car park was ready. I explained that we paid for the "upgrade" at home, which they said all families get a family room. I spoke with the manager who was not forth coming, It took over 2 hours to finally get my upgrade... But I got my upgrade! People who catch the later flights out of the resort can leave there rooms at 12 noon so if your on an earlier flight then you wait. ( not good with kids).

The Complex was greatly tendered to. Food was covered from all angles. Walking to the beach was short, and has plenty of steps to get you down there. No bar or drinking facilities. So bring a drink with you.

There are 4 separate pools, the baby pool with a fish, the kids pool with the dragon, boat, etc. Then you have two pools which are for "swimmers" as they start at 110cm height. They have one Jacuzzi pool attached to both "swimmers" pools and two loungers pools at the top pool. Personally I think they need a beach entry style as my daughter who is 5, got board playing in the kids pool and wanted to jump/bomb dive and practicing her swimming in the "swimmers" pools, but struggled to touch the bottom but wanted her own independence.

The daytime RIU Land Kids Club... Don't Bother.. Were British.. We were turned away from the staff as they put it, "you not Spanish, German, No ... you take her back to pool" English kids no. Other families we spoke to has the same refusal even ones with babies and they wanted to let the child play with mini toys and to stay with them. Horrible and rude.

The RuiLand Mini Club Disco .. Pointless. The staff play Spanish and German Songs, the kids can dance but the German and Spanish at the front .. of course! They have a Riu mascot called Calu he is a turtle (someone) dressed up. We saw him 1 evening out of the 7. We saw higher management arrive so we assume they pulled there fingers out ...Really poor, Iberostar, there mascot was there every evening and made appearances during the day. This was a really poor effort. Mini Club started at 8:30pm finished a 9pm then the evening show started at 10pm till 10:30pm... these were of a poor standard. I really believe they need to "up" there game.

We asked our rep about Markets which she mentioned two. One was a hand craft market at night from 8pm till 11:30, catch the no.8 bus from outside and go 4 stops. (walkable by beach but a good 40 min walk) over and hour by road. Bus never arrived so had to give up on that one. the other was in Chichlana ... Please don't bother, it was like seconds, a mash of total crap, no leather, or cotton clothing stalls like you would expect, it was appalling then returning back to Riu was fun, you catch the bus from the stop you got off at and go a longer route back..no choice. Took over an hour for that return trip. Waste of time and money...

If you wish to get out .. bus no.8 heading left.. there is a nice little shopping centre near the hand craft market. These shops start at 10:30/11am lovely boutiques if you are looking for cotton or leather goods, they do have the basic souvenir shop which holds everything, lovely coffee shops and lce cream parlours. Nice for a mornings adventure!

Transfer back to the airport was fine, if you had your own printed self check-in tickets ... use the fast lanes ... be prepared they are not fast, they have to re print your tickets the old style ones. They don't like the paper printed copy ones. Jerez Departure Lounge has a small duty free and a small snack bar... flight took off on time ... were back!

Room Tip: We as a British family tend to get the crappier rooms .. so we then have to fight to get an upgrade...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2014

I visited this hotel with 8 members of my family and we had a fabulous time. I was travelling with my three month old on his first holiday abroad as well as my one year old nephew and six year old niece.

My family booked a private transfer so I cannot comment on how speedily the transfer was from the airport. We were checking in when the Thompson coaches arrived so they weren't far behind so there obviously wasn't any of this '45 minute transfer taking 3 hours'! so I would imagine it was good. Check in for us was quick and very informative, staff friendly and rooms lovely. The cleaners made towel animals which was a nice touch.

This hotel is perfect for children, great pool and my niece had a wonderful time playing in it. The food was tasty and there was a great selection. Drinks were all good and I took quite a liking to the mojitos. So why have I only given it 4 out of 5? For me there were a few niggles as follows:

1. Sunbeds - yes its that old chestnut! Everybody reserves the sunbeds and with a young baby and the need for shade, we reserved them too which I wouldn't normally do. However, most people reserved them and then used them for the day so fair enough. However, there were often sunbeds that were reserved and never used. We sat next to two that had a towel on them and nobody used them between the hours of 10am and 5pm!! I don't think that is on and it means that there are a load of sunbeds around the pool which makes it a bit claustrophobic. If I were you, if there are no personal possessions on a sunbed, use it. After all does a towel alone reserve the sunbed?? I don't think so!

2. The restaurants that you need to book are practically the same as the main restaurant. In other all inclusives that I have been to, the restaurants that you need to book are table service and the food completely different from the main restaurant i.e asian, greek, italian. Yes, my husband took a liking to the Carpaccio in the Italian which you couldn't get in the main restaurant but otherwise it wasn't that Italian really. The bookable restaurants are also a buffet so you didn't feel any difference. That being said the food was still lovely.

3. The beach is fantastic. Beautiful and sandy, not full of coral etc. However, the hotels obviously aren't able to own the stretch of beach outside of the hotel like other countries as you leave the hotel via a gate with a keypad. You then descend some steps to the beach which aren't bad at all. However, with a baby this made it very awkward (I will add I didn't ask if there was a pushchair route but it didn't seem as if there was one). Once on the beach, you are in the sun and there is no shade unless you pay for a sunbed and umbrella (€5). Whilst I didn't mind paying and indeed did on one occasion, it is a bit of a shame that you need to pay for them as you've already paid for the all inclusive option of the hotel. Again, for food and drink it isn't like other places where you walk straight off the beach to your hotel's beach bar - you need to go up the steps and through the gate etc. Hard work if carrying a baby and the various inflatables for a six year old! No food and drink option on the beach unless you pay for it. I don't blame the hotel for this but it was a negative for me as I love the beach and this beach is so gorgeous its just a shame that we couldn't visit it more often.

Would I visit this place again? Probably not as I tend to go to new places each year. Also the beach thing for me was disappointing. However, it was a great holiday and I would recommend it to friends and family. However, as my title says, its really geared towards families and if you don't have children, you may find it a bit too much!!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
chichester
Reviewed 30 August 2014

We have just returned from a weeks stay here. It was just myself and my partner. We Had a very fast check in and took the bags to our room ourselves as we read on here luggage can take a while (but with the whole plane arriving at the hotel not surprising!!)
Lovely room with extra door to shut out noise from corrridor. Can hear next door if they are shouting but otherwise quiet.
Food was excellent so much choice. Choice of restaurants at breakfast lunch and tea. All with similar foods main restaurnat has most choice.
We took the bus to Chiclana number 8 stops outside but took 45mins to get there and not really much there but only cost 1 euro 45.
Rep good sorted out problem of hard matress. Maid made little flowers and swans out of towels.
Very clean resort everywhere.
Good bar servive beer,wine and soft drinks all self serve, but you never had to wait long to get a drink at the bar.
Sun beds was a bit of a nightmare lots around the pools but if you didn' get out and put your towels out by 9 there was not much choice. This is mainly dopwn to the spanish reserving sunbeds then only sitting on them for a bout an hour in the whole day. I woke early anyway and went down between 730-8 and always got a choice of beds. They give you pool towels but we took 2 of our own then it is easy to know which bed is yours as all the towels are the same!!
Entertainment team were excellent. Led by Alex who is hilarious. The shows were a laugh and they did well copnsidering there are only a couple of actual dancers amoung the group.

Would def recommend and hope to take my 8 year old there maybe next year.
Dont listen to the grumps on here we had one moaning while we were away and you honestly can't fault this hotel!!

Room Tip: we wer in 22 58 and it was away from the main ebtertainment a little so you couldn't hear the no...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Poland
Reviewed 27 August 2014

We were in this hotel for our honeymoon one year ago and we loved everything! The place and the hotel were romantic. Food excellent and the staff very friendly. From that time we have been to many four and five starts hotels but this hotel we still do remember and would like to come back with our small son maybe next year :) Thank you for so good summer holidays and pleasant memories!

Room Tip: I don't remember the number of our room but I think that rooms on upper levels are better due to...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Cirencester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Great hotel, great staff, excellent food. would go back but not much of a town. Food was excellent, entertainment very good also. we loved this hotel. Only downside was whole plane checked in to same hotel, big queues to check in but we were looked after and given drinks etc so cannot complain.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Novo Sancti Petri
ILUNION Tartessus Sancti Petri Hotels
ILUNION Tartessus Sancti Petri H...
#5 of 11 in Novo Sancti Petri
Royal Hideaway Sancti Petri, part of Barcelo Hotel Group
Royal Hideaway Sancti Petri, par...
#2 of 11 in Novo Sancti Petri