“What went wrong with this place?”
Review of My Friends

My Friends
Ranked #15 of 28 Restaurants in Oxenford
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 15 March 2013

I have not been for 6 months to this once great chineses restaurant. Last night 70$ on takeaway at 6pm so they were not busy. Service was fast. Soggy wontons fried, soggy under cooker spring rolls, under cooked honey chicken, king prawn curry with so much corn flour in it was repulsive, chilli basil lamb was marginal. You work all week and look forward to a good meal on a Friday night and get this rubbish. It used to be so good....wow but now the worst ever. My wife is a head chef of 25 years experience in hotels so I wasn't to popular bringing this slop home. Better off going to a supermarket for a chineses if you live on northern gold coast or cook it yourself.

Reviewed 31 January 2013

So disappointed as my husband & myself very rarely eat out & we have eaten in at My Friend & it's been great. This time however was not good, no taste. We had szechuan beef & garlic & pepper chicken and they both tasted the same & of no real taste. We only ate half of each as it was not enjoyable. My Friend we are disappointed.

Reviewed 30 October 2012

Beautiful food, great service and the chef always comes out to say hi. They offer fabulous banquet options at a really good price. The only chinese we go to now!

3  Thank Hayley C
Reviewed 23 October 2012

At first glance My Friends (or Kenny's, as a lot of the locals call it in acknowledgement of the chef) seems like any other suburban takeaway/restaurant. And in many ways it is. There are tables outside, protected from the elements by drop-down plastic blinds and heaters in winter, and the decor is nothing special. Not unpleasant, just nothing out of the ordinary. But oh! the food! We have friends happy to travel from Brisbane for just a taste of the Salt and Pepper Calamari (or Salt and Pepper Fish). The duck is amazing, and the various sizzling dishes are spectacular. What also sets My Friends apart is the size of the meals - we never order entrees, as we want to do the main meals justice and, unless you have some really big eaters, it's worth getting one main dish less than there are people. With rice, of course. And in terms of value for money, it can't be beaten. The service is mostly prompt, always courteous, and there are nice touches like the plate of corn crackers at the beginning, and fortune cookies at the end. The icing on the cake is that it's BYO. So do yourself a favour and go soon...but don't tell everybody!

1  Thank BribieAnne
Reviewed 27 July 2012

After reading all the reviews on here, I decided to give the restaurant a try myself. What a waste of money! I ordered take away to a total of $80.00. This was for 4 main dishes and 2 large special fried rice. The prawn dish was gluggy (way too much cornflour), the Thai green curry, was the worst I've ever eaten, the other 2 dishes were barely passable. Half the dishes contained thick slices of onion (please see photos attached) which I guess was supposed to be the "vegetable". These thick slices of onion were also in the fried rice, which was a shame really as the fried rice was probably the most acceptable part of the meal, apart from the fact that considering it was "Special fried rice" it had about 2 prawns and 2 pieces of pork. Will not be returning and if this is the best in the area, I will be looking elsewhere for Chinese.

4  Thank Michelle B