“At least it's local...” 3 of 5 bubbles

Benowa Tavern
Ranked #21 of 46 Restaurants in Ashmore
Cuisines: Australian, Bar, Pub, International
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups, Bar Scene, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Benowa Tavern is a family friendly venue situated on the canal and only minutes from Surfers Paradise. Featuring a Sports Bar with live entertainment, TAB, Lounge Bar and a Bistro with large indoor & outdoor kids play areas. Benowa Tavern's Bistro has something for every taste with a full a la carte menu & frequently changing specials board. The kids will be entertained for hours with both an indoor kids room, with Playstations, chalk board & all the latest children's movies as well an outdoor playground. Our face painting fairy will delight the little one's on Friday & Saturday nights from 6pm leaving you free to enjoy your meal. Don't forget to check out our dessert cabinet and ice cream fridge after your meal to satisfy that sweet craving.
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
“At least it's local...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

We wanted a quick meal and thought this would be ideal - we are Benowa residents and had been there before. Meals were fine - well presented and generous. Staff were friendly and at $10 there was not much to criticise. It's a tavern after all. There's a kids play area outside and it's obvious they are after a variety of customers as there are free kids meals on Mondays, seniors meals Tuesdays etc. It's not flash, but it's OK for what it is and where it is.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Diedre_11

Benowa
“No bars open late when advertised times say 2.30 am Closing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

Some 20 of us called in around 12.30 am after a 60th birthday celebration diner. After being all herded into a small smoking area we were then told we could not buy a drink unless each person bought a drink individually. After complaining we were told the limited and rude service offered was now cut off. We are senior locals and will never return after the treatment dished out.

• Visited March 2014
Mudgeeraba, Australia
“very dissappointing, over priced, poor meals”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

We ate here last night, very disappointed and very overpriced. My 10 year old son had the kids pizza which was the size of a muffin with just cheese and a little bit of tomato on it. My partner had the chicken schnitzel with a side of prawns, what a joke!!!, he got half a schnitzel and he paid $8.50 for 3 small prawns that looked like they had come from the supermarket down the road, practically no salad, just a plate full of chips!!. A $30 meal, that really should have been priced at $15.00. One of our friends had the ham steak, or should I say half a ham steak and he had to request sauce, they forgot it. The other kids meal was chicken nuggets and chips, what chicken nuggets??? six tiny bits of fried crumbs and a plate of chips. When we spoke to the manager he apologised but didnt seem to bothered, I think he is used to the complaints, he offered us a free coffee and cake... no thanks, will not be returning.

• Visited January 2014
Sydney, Australia
“BT - the place to BE!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

I bloody love Benowa Tavern.

To be frank, the other reviews are a joke. Especially since they're made by locals where taverns are a dime a dozen. It's a TAVERN. Get over it.

If you think the price is too high, don't order a meal. I don't - I just enjoy the sweet-tasting beer, a side of wedges and a few punts on the pokies.

The best thing about BT is that it's jam-packed fulla local knowledge and all the staff have smiles on their faces.

I'll be honest; I never order a meal from taverns because they are usually the same price (if not higher) than 4-5 star restaurants. But if you do, expect a fumble here or there.

I can't wait to hit the BT again soon!

A beer, punt on keno and where's the gold and I'm loving life!

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank Karl C
Main Beach, Australia
“Terrible evening due to their mistake.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013

I dined there tonight with my husband and son and daughter. We ordered our meals which are in the expensive side but we were aware of that as we have eaten there many times before, and my daughters $26 Prawn Laksa hit the table with not even a quarter of a normal size Prawn Laksa. Her spoon could not even scoop a whole spoonful of sauce and it was mostly crunchy noodles with 3 prawns. It was pathetic. My 17 year old daughter orders a Prawn Laksa everywhere we go whenever it's on a menu. My husband and I both agreed it was really bad so I took it straight to the waitress who served us and explained what the problem was, very politely. She sent a female manager over who stated that that was their normal serving size for that dish and stated quite rudely that she was not going to give us a refund for the dish. At that point, my daughter was crying and I insisted she refund us which she continued to argue and refuse. She offered to cook her another meal however, we were disappointed, angry and upset with the service and just wanted to leave plus we never send anything back, ever and would prefer not to eat out if a kitchen we just complained about. She finally put the money on the table very rudely and said " Have a good night ". It totally ruined dinner for us and the other 3 of us didnt even eat our meals, we just left. It's a joke. We don't expect the earth, it's not cheap there and it's only a bistro, they shouldn't be rude when our complaint was valid.

• Visited July 2013