“MAGNIFICENT FAMILY GETAWAY”

Hibiscus on the Beach
Reviewed 1 July 2014

A top SPOT RIGHT ON THE BEACH, THE BEST POOL & HOT SPA (swimming in june)
small BUT very equipped & modern unit ,very clean & exceptional beds you lay in bed & watch the early morning walkers along the beach the sun rise"s & then we spot A pod of whales ..... AMAZING....
You could easily spend A week or more here our 3 nights were to short
There is also a great bbq area here with your own bbq grass hut to eat & enjoy the sound of the beach at your feet

Room Tip: Ask for beach front amazing
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank JANINE D

Reviewed 3 January 2014

We spent 2 weeks over Christmas/New Year in unit 1002 and had the absolutely best holiday. The managers were very helpful and friendly all the time. Facilities are well maintained - good sized BBQ area with fantastic views of the ocean from the pool/spa/BBQ area. Whilst the unit is smallish it is comfortable and more than adequate for our needs. We had our 2 young grandchildren with us and experienced no problems whatsoever. The view from each bedroom is magnificent and the large balcony very useful. My only issue was I thought the blinds in our unit were perhaps not the best option to keep heat out the mornings - maybe a heavier blind or heavy curtains. Otherwise nothing to complain about.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are worth the extra cost involved.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 November 2013

We loved the Hibiscus! Located right on the beach and an easy stroll to the Main Beach restaurants, bars & shops, the Hibiscus is the perfect place. My family and I stayed at the Hibiscus in September and had such a wonderful experience that I raved so much so, I returned only last week with my girlfriends. On both occasions we had lovely apartments, which were well equipped and clean. What a view! In 402 we were facing directly onto the beach. Waking up each morning to the sights and sounds of the surf was just breathtaking, to say the least! In 601, the apartment was modern and again clean and well equipped.
I cannot say enough about Management, especially the Manager who went out of her way to ensure we were accommodated in every way. She was polite and courteous and always had a smile on her face.
With regard to comments by 'Brisbanetraveler' and 'Frank965', their comments are very surprising to me. I would imagine there is more to the story! As previously stated, Management were more than helpful and courteous, especially the Manager, she was lovely! She was NEVER rude or aggressive!
I would definitely stay at the Hibiscus in Main Beach again, and recommend it to all my family and friends.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 November 2013

What follows is a copy of a complaint sent to Hibiscus. Should you choose to stay there, maintain situational awareness at all times. I have stayed at many, many places in all States of Australia, some of which were very rough hotels, motels, caravan parks etc., in remote locations,but always felt safe even in the roughest of them. Nowhere else have I experienced anything like the events described in my complaint.

I am writing to inform you how pleased I am to be back home and to have escaped from Hibiscus on the Beach with our physical safety intact.

Together with my wife and adult son, our stay began on 4th November and ended on the 11th. We occupied unit 1002 and were very satisfied with the unit which was neat, clean, well furnished and more than adequate for our needs. All was well and we were enjoying ourselves until late in the afternoon of Friday 8th when I witnessed part of two exchanges with a male person who belatedly identified himself as 'Management'.

Our son-in-law, daughter and their two pre-school age children were subjected to full-blown, in your face, agitated aggression by the male person from management who, for some reason, chose this approach rather than having a quiet word about the children's behavior. A polite, quiet word to the parents would have been enough to correct a minor infraction. Normally, it would not have been necessary for anything to have been said - the parent's supervision of the children is usually very good. On this occasion they might have been distracted - we were in the hut on the beach side of the complex talking with guests who came to see us for an hour or so. Perhaps being on a holiday made their father more tolerant of the children's actions?

Nearing the end of the first exchange and prior to the person identifying himself as part of management I wondered whether the children and their father were being yelled at by an irate, 'busybody' occupant of a unit on the second or third floor. Even when the person identified his role I did not think too much of the situation and brushed it off as someone having a bad day and choosing to be loud, rude and inconsiderate. An unfortunate approach but not too upsetting. The children's behavior was modified. I thought that would be the end of the matter and re-engaged in relaxed conversation with our friends.

Not so. After a little time had passed the parents decided to take their children back to the unit and were confronted by the male person as they were unlocking the gate to their unit. I did not see the initial approach and was only alerted by raised voices. At that point I looked to see what was going on but the heat seemed to be going out of the incident. My reaction to the encounter, considering that it seemed to be ending, was to keep watch but not interfere and risk further escalation. I certainly did not want my grandchildren to witness an even uglier incident.

Even though I witnessed only parts, the major incident was alarming because it was initiated by a person associated with management of the complex who seemed to react badly to his demands not being obeyed quickly enough or with sufficiently meek deference to his authority. Our friends departed very quickly after the embarrassing encounter. Who could blame them? After recovering from stunned disbelief - the usual reaction of people to unexpected hostile action - they thought it best to leave in case they unwittingly offended belligerent management.

In my experience, any person who deliberately subjects small children to fear and alarm is not to be trusted.

From that time on I was concerned not just for their safety but also our own.

Our circumstances: my wife is 70 years of age, has poor eyesight, compromised lung function and is unsteady on her feet because of arthritis in her knees. It would be easy for her to miss one of the house rules or to inadvertently fail to meet a requirement. She is also one of the world's innocents, thinking that other people will treat her the same as she treats other people with kindness and consideration. She is woefully unprepared to defend herself and would not have a clue of how to act if confronted with aggression. Our adult son has a learning disability and does not read well. He also has what might be best described as awkward social graces. Both of them could easily run foul of the dictates of an intolerant, aggressive person.

Because of this I wanted to leave your complex immediately, but my wife, always keen to wring value out of every last dollar, wasn't going to waste a couple of hundred dollars. Not wanting to upset her, my only recourse was to quietly increase my level of vigilance and suffer through the last few days in keeping close watch over them. Hopefully I did it casually enough that they did not notice. Giving them my candid assessment might have caused them distress and completely ruined their break from suburban Brisbane. It wrecked mine. Even though I am used to seeing persons acting badly it was still a huge relief to leave Hibiscus and no longer have to be hyper-vigilant in going anywhere near your reception desk.

We won't be back. Not ever. Even if management of Hibiscus on the Beach changes we will not return. The place is tainted by memories of children being frightened by unnecessary, unwarranted aggression.

I understand that dealing with the public is never easy and am often in awe of people in the hospitality business who must cope with the demands made of them. Generally, they do it well.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank Frank965
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Location is flawless. LG family unit has been updated a bit, so it's much better than it used to be. Great accommodation with children as it has a large patio area & no worries with kids and balconies. However at $179 per night (gone up since the renovations) you could probably do better for accommodation. The kitchen needs updating - you can't use the oven at all because all the information on it has faded off. The male manager though is unprofessional, rude and aggressive. Our 2 & 4 years old was playing in the garden area, clambering on the large rocks near the outdoor seating area. My husband was trying to keep them amused whilst we had visitors out there. Granted they probably shouldn't have been playing in the garden but they didn't step on any plants, they couldn't really as it's clear guests use it as a walking path and it's only half filled with plants. There is a light pole in the garden that my daughter had wobbled & my husband told her to stop. Then a man on the 2nd or 3rd floor balcony is yelling down to my daughter to stop what she is doing. My husband then told him she's alright, whilst also asking her to stop. This went back & forth until my husband asked the man to see reception. My husband kept his cool, but he was irritated as he thought some tenant was having a go at us. He then said he was reception. By this point the man was very angry & yelling. You would think that by my husband asking him to see reception that he's pick up we didn't know who he was - all my husband knew was some angry man was yelling at our daughter. We of course stopped the children from playing in the garden. (Why is there a light pole in the garden that is extremely wobbly...if it's a 240V then it's a safety hazard) I don't know why he couldn't call out to my husband, who he could clearly see, something like Excuse me sir, my name is, I'm management, can I please ask you not to shake that light pole as it's unstable & could be dangerous. We spent another 15 minutes with our guests in the pagoda, then my daughter needed a bandaid so we walked back to our unit with our children. The LG unit has a back entry via the patio area just off the garden & pool area. The manager (we still don't know his name) was waiting for us - even though the problem had been resolved. He was red in the face, using a raised voice and had another go at us about it, stating that if he asked us to stop doing something we were to do it. He was two steps from me, angrily pointing his finger at me towards my face with my 2 children hiding behind me. Never mind my husband was standing right next to me he was directing all his anger at me. He made my daughter cry, both children were frightened. The entire incident was caused by the manager failing to identify himself in the first place, speaking to our child instead of my husband, and then his unreasonable anger. How are we supposed to know who he is?? That was the first time we saw him. His wife (I'm assuming) on the front desk is unfailing lovely and very professional. I can understand they might deal with some unruly guests, perhaps drunk guests & he'd potentially have to deal with some unpleasant people. How on earth a 2 & 4 year old can incite him to such anger & aggression I don't know.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
7  Thank Brisbanetraveler
Reviewed 18 September 2013

My wife and myself discovered the Hibiscus, when we were looking for a stop-over on our way north. We were greeted by a very courteous and friendly manager who got us into the last available unit. The unit was on the 9th floor, two bedroom, and faced east for the full effect of the rising full moon and morning sun. The apartment was spacious, clean, and appeared provided with ample cooking needs. We didn't cook, but walked the short distance to the nearby surf club.
We have stayed at Main Beach before and like the dining choices available.

Room Tip: Any room would have great views.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Stayed in unit 202 in completely renovated Hibiscus building. Wow !! Unit as new, new appliances, new bathroom, new kitchen. Best position- lay in bed and look at beach in direct view. Have stayed before but now very boutique feeling.

Room Tip: Check room out before checking in - you will see what I am talking about. Some units not as good
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Maldives Resort
Maldives Resort
#4 of 5 in Main Beach
Sunbird Beach Resort Main Beach

Been to Hibiscus on the Beach? Share your experiences!