“Good enough but not as flash as we expected”
Review of Palazzo Versace

Palazzo Versace
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Main Beach
Sydney
“Good enough but not as flash as we expected”
Reviewed 13 April 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a few nights and were expecting a total wow factor considering the price and although it is perfectly fine we felt it didn't quite give us the ultimate experience we were hoping for. Room was big and the spa bath tub was a highlight (best we've ever seen at a hotel so far) but you could tell the furnishing were a bit aged and the TV was also old with the remote control being very hard to work the first time (please refer to photos) Wifi is not free either. The restaurants and bar are good and the pool is nice as well. We did enjoy our stay but I can't say that I will be going back unless we can get a mega discount. We will probably try a different place next time but if you've never been there then it's worth trying at least once.

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank SNT113

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (467)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Buderim, Qld
Reviewed 10 April 2013

We stayed for two nights in early April and the staff were amazing. The concierge remembered our names each time he saw us and the staff were overall incredible. They had brilliant customer service skills and anticipated our every need from grabbing a cushion for behind my back whilst seated at breakfast, to opening doors, standing aside to let us pass - nothing was too much trouble. The rooms are lovely and the bed was so comfortable. Buffet breakfast was amongst the best I have ever had anywhere in the world. Would go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Leaellen
PVGC, Guest Relations Manager at Palazzo Versace, responded to this review, 22 April 2013
Dear Leaellen

It was wonderful to receive your Review, and I'm impressed that you described your holiday as Exquisite!

Thank you for your high praise of our employees, we here at Palazzo Versace believe that our staff are amongst our best assets who continuously strive to deliver the best possible service at all times for our guests. I was pleased to hear that you throughly enjoyed your stay at Palazzo Versace and were able to experience the 5 star service that we are renowned for.

Leaellen, Palazzo Versace looks forward to welcoming you back soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2013

My wife and I stayed here on my first visit to Australia, in the first hotel on this trip. Amazing hotel, lavish surroundings. On arriving in our suite we were greeted with a large bouquet of flowers, welcome fruit basket and champagne. The suite was well equipped with Jacuzzi. Quite a welcome to Australia!!!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Marrickville, Australia
Reviewed 9 April 2013

A very pleasant place to stay. Good service and an amazing pool for people watching. Late night cocktails are good too. Recommend just sitting around doing nothing.

The only negative there is is not much in walking distance so you need to drive everywhere.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Brianoc

Thank you for your recent review of Palazzo Versace.

I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and were able to spend some quality time at our Lagoon pool. Our beach style pool is a great way to spend the day relaxing and soaking up the atmosphere, it certainly is a treat!

I hope that you are able to join us again sometime in the future.

Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed 9 April 2013

I had thought Palazzo Versace might be a bit toffy-nosed, a bit false - not at all. From the moment we drove up to the front door, the staff could not have been more pleasant. "What do we do with the car? Well you can let me park it and that will cost you $30, or you are welcome to park it yourself for free, let me give you directions..." The guy on reception was delightful, as were all the staff we came across during our little romantic interlude. The room was sensational, all marble, with a divine spa and free internet. We overlooked the pool, and the Broadwater, just magic. Food and booze are expensive, as expected, but with so many other restaurants around it was easy to find alternatives. Breakfast was one of the most elegant and satisfying we have ever had, anywhere in the world. This is a fabulous hotel, and with a good deal through the net, available to everyone. We'll certainly be back!

Room Tip: A room overlooking the pool is great.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Diedre_11
Dear Deidre_11

Thank you for providing us with such a fantastic review!

It is such a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your romantic interlude, and were able to capture the magic that Palazzo Versace has to offer. I am glad to hear you were able to take advantage of one of our amazing deals, I do agree we have some fantastic deals currently in the marketplace.

I hope that you can once again join us at Palazzo Versace, I look forward to welcoming you back.

Darwin
Reviewed 9 April 2013

My husband was lovely enough to book one night for us for my birthday mid-week. He booked a Superior King Room. Upon our arrival we were met by some very courteous staff and the check-in process was relaxed and smooth.

The lobby was delightfully furnished with an Easter motif present throughout, which was endearing, but I was surprised at how small everything seemed to be given the clever photography on the very slick web-site (which by the way, reveals very little about the room's amenities etc).

The room was at the front of the property with absolutely zero view except the driveway/courtyard and street beyond. The balcony appeared to be for decoration only, as it certainly could not be considered for relaxing upon or any other use.

The decor in the room was lovely and typical of the Versace style i.e marble/marble look vanity, parquetry floors and signature bed line. Again, the room was very small for the price and really did not have any more amenities than a fairly standard hotel room would (apart from the large spa bath). The doona and pillows were of superb quality and I had an amazing night's sleep as a result.

The pool area was almost empty during our stay and we didn't use it, so it's hard to review, but it certainly looked spectacular (again smaller than I envisaged) and staff seemed to be constantly tidying up which was nice to see.

Can't review any of the restaurants either, as we had been snacking all day and weren't hungry enough to give them justice. However, the breakfast buffet the following morning was spectacular and the food was divine. No stone left unturned with regard to variety and quality. I also used the on site gym which was very swish and contained lots of high tech equipment.

For me these are the downsides to the stay: Given the prices and the hype surrounding this property, I did not come away feeling like that I had been a special guest. The staff were courteous and quiet, but I would expect that from most hospitality employees regardless of the price of the hotel. There was no complimentary water in our room and no paper delivery the next day. The tea and coffee selection was standard, there were no complimentary mints or other little special touches. The supplied toiletries were standard - shower gel, shampoo, lotion. They were in lovely black containers, but they certainly didn't go above and beyond.

I looked at the 'Bath Menu' out of curiosity. This service was for the supply of a 'special' bath products (gel or crystals as I recall) some fruit and chocolate and some flower petals for the astronomical sum of between $80-$120 as I recall. There may have been a bottle of wine included in the more expensive option Quite overpriced and made me feel a little ripped off ( I didn't take up the menu)

Overall, I had a lovely birthday (especially with the gift of a lovely Versace bathrobe) and enjoyed staying away from the reality of my renovations at home and have a delightful bath ( not hot water at my own house!), but I can't help but feel that Palazzo Versace are hanging their hat on some gold rimmed tea cups and expecting guests to fall over themselves gushing, when in reality it was a lovely hotel furnished in a very expensive way. I have stayed in a number of hotels all over the world and have had exactly the same experience for a lot less financial outlay.

I would recommend the hotel to friends, but only if they knew that they weren't to expect the royal treatment, but simply have a quiet stay in quality surrounds.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Leighbee27
Dear Leighbee27

Thank you for staying at Palazzo Versace recently, and providing us with your valuable feedback.

It is with concern that you mention that although you enjoyed your stay, it didnt live up to your expectations.

Our hotel website is designed to enable our guests to choose the best room for their stay, and we aspire to provide an accurate description of the size of our room's and the hotel's features. Our aim is to present the hotel accurately, and I am truly sorry you felt this was not the case in this instance.

It is important to us that you enjoy every aspect of your stay, and feel that you are getting value for money.

I do hope that you come back to join us again in the future.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Room not amazing and slightly disappointing facing busy freeway. Pool area cramped and heavily overlooked. Pictures very flattering to a mediocre space. We paid for cabana next to pool which was expensive but worth it. Yes you can walk to beach but overall a cramped small hotel thinking and promoting itself better than it is. Save the extra dollars and book into qualia-now thats 5 star.

Room Tip: I would stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LeedsAway
PVGC, Guest Relations Manager at Palazzo Versace, responded to this review, 11 April 2013
Dear LeedsAway

Thank you for your response in regards to your recent stay at Palazzo Versace.

I am disappointed to hear that your accommodation didn't live up to your expectations, as we do believe that our rooms offer a unique and stylish slice of luxury.
Our rooms are mostly open plan which offers the comfort of additional space but allows privacy for personal needs.
One of the many options of room's available does face Seaworld Drive and Marina Mirage, alternatively we also have the choice of booking a lagoon facing room offering water views. Our website has all the information about the room types available, size and aspect of our rooms.

I do hope that you are able to join us again one day, and take the opportunity to sample one of our Lagoon facing rooms.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Main Beach
#2 of 21 in Broadbeach
Meriton Suites Broadbeach
Meriton Suites Broadbeach
#1 of 21 in Broadbeach

Been to Palazzo Versace? Share your experiences!