“Great stay!”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Main Beach
Melbourne, Australia
“Great stay!”
Reviewed 8 January 2013

We stayed here for my husbands birthday and thoroughly enjoyed it. Staff were all excellent and very accommodating. The rooms were nice, clean and comfortable although not amazing - bathrooms are quite basic but in good order. The pool area was most relaxing even when there was heaps of people around it but the prices for food/beverages is ridiculous. Being able to walk out the gate and be on when of the best stretches of (patrolled) beach is breath-taking. We would definitely go back here before Versace as it had a much more relaxed feel and you are right on the beach.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CandDOS
MarkSexton, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Mirage Resort, Gold Coast, responded to this review, 9 January 2013
Dear Contributor

It was a pleasure to have you both with us in November for your husband’s Birthday celebration. We are honoured many couples and families – some of them regularly – choose to celebrate special occasions here at Sheraton Mirage, and we’re delighted this stay here at our beautiful beachfront resort was such an enjoyable one.

Thank you for sharing your experience via this TripAdvisor post, and for travelling from Melbourne to the Gold Coast for your celebration.

Warm wishes
Mark

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (483)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
West Chester, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 5 January 2013

Stunning property. Well appointed. Very nice rooms. Well maintained interior. Helpful staff. Concierge very good. Aaron at checkin was top quality. Some concerns. Prices for food and drink - very unreasonable. 42AUD for breakfast buffet for a 12 year old is insulting. Poolside drinks are very dear. Grounds are average and could use some TLC. Also, space is a premium at the pool area. Good staff at the pool! Location is mixed. Somewhat exclusive to the rest of the Gold Coast - but also further away from better restaurants and shopping. Mall across the street is average, but at least you could feed your family for 100AUD or less. Only a 10-15 cab ride to surfers and a little more to broadbeach.

I stayed on points, but I would never pay the advertised rate. The value is just not there at 450-500/night. A very good property, but watch the value.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Dear Mike

Thank you for your post with insights and feedback on your family stay earlier in the month. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience, and especially your comments on our associates who are truly our resort’s greatest asset. And be assured, your special mention will be shared with Aaron, a most valued member of our Front Office management team.

Many thanks for choosing Sheraton Mirage for this visit to the Gold Coast. We hope to have the opportunity and pleasure of welcoming you all again in the future, and for the moment send wishes for good health, happiness, and special family times throughout 2013.

Warmly
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 5 January 2013

Needs to be further refurbished if it is to be considered 5 star. Rooms are good sized but missing something still. Pool was a bit disappointing and dirty looking. Location next to beach is its best feature

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Andrew

Many thanks for staying here at Sheraton Mirage, and for the time you have taken to post on your experience. Your feedback is appreciated, and has been shared with all of our team.

We wish you both a wonderful 2013, and hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back when you are next travelling to Australia.

Warm regards
Carrara, Australia
Reviewed 4 January 2013

A spectacular entrance sets the tone for this property. Spent 3 wonderful days at the Sheraton Mirage and loved every minute. Lazing around the pool, waited on by very friendly staff who made it special, nothing was too much trouble. Property is a bit dated now but the service, atmosphere and the great staff more than make up for its age. 1st class room service

Room Tip: I would go for a ground floor unit
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Senior Reviewer

We all appreciate your post on your stay here last month, and your choice of Sheraton Mirage for this mini break.

The support which local residents have extended to our resort since Opening in 1987 is nothing short of wonderful, and we are delighted you so enjoyed your time with us.

Thank you again!

With warmest wishes
Sydney
Reviewed 4 January 2013

The Mirage has certainty lifted it's game. I have been there countless times over the years and the last vist using the word disappointment would be a compliment.

The new management has settled in and the service all round is definitely one of the best in Australia. We stayed over the Xmas new year period. Plenty of staff, great service from the minute stepped out of the car. Even the room was often serviced twice during the day.

Booking a room plus breakfast package is the best option

Room Tip: Ocean view / king room
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Bruce I
Hi Bruce,

Thank you for returning with your family over the Festive Season, and for taking the time to post so positively on your experience.

We appreciate your continuing and most valued support; and to have our service described as “one of the best in Australia” is simply wonderful. I am sharing your comments with all Associates and I know they will share my delight at such high praise.

Wishing you and your family a fabulous 2013.

Warmly
Surfers Paradise, Australia
Reviewed 3 January 2013

I have been very proud to be a part of the Starwood Hotels, staying in Sydney, Noosa and overseas especially the Sheraton Mirage Resort & Spa, as we have dined there regularly, stayed regularly, had Xmas and NYE regularly also a wedding. So one would think that this well deserved 2 days stay over NYE period would be just as terrific as always. Now I can not fault the staff, they are all exceptional and never a truer word has been spoken. However, check-in was a disaster (even when you are a Gold member), and had requested a particular room, only to be informed that I could not have the room I requested as I had not paid enough. Okay, no one told me I had to pay extra, when I spoke/redeemed my points from Starwood Corporate Office. The Duty Manager (Thomas and Alice), struggled to find another room, which they did. Not what we wanted but it sufficed. When entering the room, all was well, until we open the curtains and took a look at the small balcony area which over looked the lagoon. There were weeds growing in the small garden on the balcony and the lagoon looked like it needed a damn good scrub it was horrid. The bottom of the lagoon really does need to be attended to, as do the weeds.

My husband and I then ventured outside, the hotel was full and all and sundry were having fun romping around the pool, so we sat had something to eat, which was average to say the least.
It is a non smoking property. We also get that and yes we are smokers. It is OUR choice so be it. However when inquiring about the smoking areas, we were pointed either to the front entrance of the hotel or the exit on to the beach. Now I get it, we don't smoke in our home either, but to be shoved into a poky little corner, with no shade from the heat nor protection from the rain at the front entrance, we decided to see what the beach exit was about. It was strangely hypocritical when we exited the beach gate, to notice a group of disgruntled guests, pointing to where the ashtray was placed, which was up against the fence which you could lean on this fence - oh such luxury, you had to as we were all fighting for shade under shabby tree, it was so hot. However, still the smoke was going into the property. Hmmmm, no respect was shown, no seating, no shade and made to feel like second class citizens. Poky corner or hot beach, my gosh wonderful choices.

Now I know a few of you will be think 'good riddance to smokers', but it is our choice, we know the ramifications. So please no nasty replies.

After to listening to many unhappy and unappreciated guests, its no wonder this property is loosing supposedly loyal or new guests,who either have the money or have saved their money to relax and enjoy their holiday as they see fit, however I had been advised by reception staff, they are aware they are loosing guests but hey who cares! The Reception staff cop a lot of abuse as do the Concierge (wonderful helpful guys especially Geede); but surely Starwood Hotels could have some respect and designate a more respectable area for the smokers.

So for all you smokers out there, and I know there are still a few, think carefully. It has saddened me to write this review, very much indeed I held my head up high for Starwood Hotels, however my days with Sheraton Mirage are over. I hope some one in the property takes heed of my suggestion, but alas I fear it will fall on deaf ears.

The property excels in every other way.

Room Tip: The wing with 1047 is the where the lagoon is disgraceful and weeds growing every where, other than...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank see paradisetra... a
MarkSexton, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Mirage Resort, Gold Coast, responded to this review, 16 January 2013
Dear Contributor

Thank you for staying with us again and for the time you have taken to post a TripAdvisor review.

Whilst I can confirm the correct room type was originally allocated for you - being a standard room which are located on levels 2 and 3 or the resort – for this most recent stay, I am delighted Thomas and Alice were ultimately able to change this allocation and upgrade you without cost to your preferred ground level Lagoon Room.

Not so positively, we do regret the condition of the garden outside of your accommodation. Completely unacceptable, and our Chief Engineer has already followed up with our Gardeners to remedy; I’m pleased to advise also that the lagoons are scheduled for sealing and repainting as soon as our occupancy permits.

With regards your feedback on our hotel being smoke free, I have been pleased to respond to this directly, and via Reviews on our hotel website.

Thanking you again for the time you have taken to post, and for your loyal support of Starwood Hotels & Resorts.

Warm wishes
Umina Beach, NSW
Reviewed 3 January 2013 via mobile

The Sheraton Mirage was the first 5 star resort I stayed in as a child, and it has always been a dream to return with my own kids. The dream is over.

I stayed at over 40 hotels last year and have never experienced such pompous check in staff. The view on entry is breathtaking, but is not worth the expense. The room we had was full of flying critters I think are a new species (maybe cashius overthetopii?)

The site is great if you want some distance from Surfers but the boutique vibe of the only shops for miles around is only likely to suit CUBs (cashed up Bogans). Seems you still can't buy style.

We've done both the Mirage and the Versace but won't be back to either.

My advice is to use your cash for a stay at the QT, for twice as long. Happy travels!

• Stayed December 2012
3 Thank TheLoudAustralians
MarkSexton, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Mirage Resort, Gold Coast, responded to this review, 6 January 2013
Dear TA Contributor

Thank you for choosing to return to Sheraton Mirage for your visit to the Gold Coast last month. Whilst we were all naturally disappointed to know you will not be returning, we appreciate your feedback, and the time you have taken to post on your experience.

Wishing you all the very best for 2013 and beyond.

Warm regards
Meriton Suites Southport
Peppers Broadbeach
Peppers Broadbeach
#2 of 21 in Broadbeach

Been to Sheraton Grand Mirage Resort, Gold Coast? Share your experiences!