“Nice Stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Main Beach
Sunshine Coast, Australia
“Nice Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013

We probably didn't get the most use of this hotel on our 2 night stay as we had a packed itinary. The pool area did look lovely which might have made the stay more memorable.
Room service was quick and probably the nicest room service steak sandwich we have had.
Dissapointed that the shower was over the spa for the price of the room ($500 room only in peak season) I would have thought they would be seperate but had showers each night no problem.
Room was large but very basic.
Staff were friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Get one that isn't on the main road or by tennis court - someone decided to play at 6am in the m...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MarkSexton, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Mirage Resort, Gold Coast, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Hi Abbey

Thank you for reviewing your two nights here at Sheraton Mirage. We were very glad to know that the resort was a comfortable base for your busy itinerary, and hope you will come back for a longer return visit when you are next heading our way.

Many thanks for choosing our resort for your Holiday Season stay.

With warm regards
Mark

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (463)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Swansea, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013

I stayed at the Sheraton Mirage for 6 days with my partner for our anniversary. We have always wanted to try the Sheraton so for this year, we decided to fly up to the Gold Coast and treat ourselves a little bit more than what we usually spend for our anniversary.

Upon check in, we were greeted by a very friendly man called Richard at the door. He offered to help us with our bags and welcomed us into the hotel. When you enter the lobby you can see the ocean and the swimming pool and the view is absolutely breathtaking. We took pictures of the hotel lobby and the amazing view.

The line at check in was a bit long and we had to wait for a while before our turn was up. The lady behind the counter was friendly. She checked us in quickly and explained to us where our room was located. The ported who walked us to our room was helpful. He pointed out where we can have our breakfast, the pool, etc. The trip to our room was quite a walk but the porter was very animated and he made the walk seemed shorter.

The room was very modern. The bed was amazing to sleep on! I think I've had one of my best sleeps in your hotel. The price we paid for the stay was enough just knowing you can sleep on a fantastic bed like that. it certainly rejuvenated our energy for the seafood dinner that was part of our package.

We were booked in at 7pm but since we had a long afternoon, we called the restaurant to see if we can come in earlier than 7. The lady on the other end of theline was very helpful, she double checked our reservation and she said that we can come in anytime at our convenience. We came in at 6pm and there was a line on the door. We waited for a few minutes.

My husband and I were discussing about how professional the staff looked when they were lined up at the door waiting patiently and smiling to walk you to your table. When we were greeted by a very pretty American (Hawaiian?) lady at the door, she thanked us for our patience and asked for our reservation name, when we told her our name, she looked up and smiled and said that she was the one whom we spoke to on the phone earlier. We were shocked that she would even remember something so irrelevant! She introduced us to the waiter who walked us to our table. We were given a wonderful table overlooking the water. Our waiters Nicole and H were magnificent. It was very busy at the time when we came in and it was very comforting to see them power walking around the restaurant trying to accommodate everyone's requests. Nothing was an inconvenience. My husband and I are in the hospitality industry and we enjoy watching the staff.

The lady that welcomed us at the front who we've come to know as Nonica, was constantly roaming around every where making sure that everything was running smoothly. My husband pointed out that she went to every single table on the top deck asking how everything was going. The service was prompt, efficient and very professional. In the end, we paid for our drinks and everyone who served us stopped and took a moment to thank us. When we got to the desk, Nonica and a man by the name of Martin stopped whatever it was they were doing to say thank you to us.

The walk back to the room was amazing, the pool provides calmness at night. Every staff we come across would smile or greet us. But again, I cannot stress enough how good your beds are!

The next day we went for breakfast at the same restaurant and the ambiance was cheery and busy. The service was not as professional as dinner but it was expected considering it was breakfast. The food was delightful. The breakfast chef in the omellette station was very friendly. We had to wait awhile for coffee but not that long. We were given an ETA for the coffee so we weren't too fussed.

During the day we decided to go to Surfers Paradise. Again, concierge was ever helpful. They gave us all the information starting from bus times, what time shops close, which place is good for shopping, etc.

We came back at 4:30pm and decided to ask the restaurant again if we can come in early.The same lady from the night before was at the front and this time, we were greeted by our last names with the same infectious smile.

We went back to the room and rested for a little bit. The AC was in perfect temperature. The sheets smelled clean and soft.

We came down for dinner and Nonica checked us in. She led us to one of the waiters and said to the waiter, "they drink the St. Hallet Shiraz". We go to different hotels every year, and we have never experienced this kind of familiarity ever. And it was only our second day.

The dinner staff was magnificent. They remembered our table and kept us there for the whole stay. On our fourth day, as soon as we sat down on our table, Nicole came up to us straight away and said, "i'm so sorry but we run out of the Shiraz tonight. I'm so sorry". My husband and I laughed. It made us feel very special that the staff know us from the moment we checked in. On the night of our anniversary, when we got back to our table from getting the desserts, H put a Happy Anniversary plate on our table with candles.

I know that this is a normal occurrence to them and they probably won't remember us again, but this is a trip that we will never forget. We felt like we were VIP.

No words can describe the service that we experienced in your hotel.

Nicole, Richard, H, Martin, Panita, Branka, Meg, Edwin, Arthur, Dan, Alex, Jack, Rahul, everone was outstanding. Nonica stood out with her friendliness, her infectious smile and her sharp memory. Every time she sees us, even when just walking past, she stops and asks us about our day, where we went, what we bought, etc.

Amazing team!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Fiona A
Dear Fiona

We appreciate you and your partner choosing our resort for your Anniversary celebration, and for posting your first Trip Advisor review on your Sheraton Mirage experience. It is always a pleasure to welcome colleagues from the hospitality industry and we are delighted your stay was such a memorable one.

Your insightful review is being shared with all of our team, and especially with our team members who you have singled out for their extra special service. Like me, I know all associates will be overwhelmed by the detail and length of your review.

Fiona, many thanks again for the time you have taken to share your experience. We hope you will return for another celebration in the future, and in the meantime our team joins me in wishing you both the absolute best of everything for this New Year 2014.

whangarei
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013

This was our second stay at the Sheraton and we enjoyed it just as much as the first. Last visit we stayed in a front room that over looked the beach, this time we were further in the complex and we were very surprised to have the same size room for less the price. The rooms are hugh, and the king size bed is so comfortable.
We enjoyed the pool area and had good service from the staff around it. The only thing that let the pool down was a few more umbrellas wouldnt go astray. Alot of people were looking for shade, when you moved from your chair there was always someone on your heels for your seat. We ate in both the Terraces Restaurant and the Oyster Bar. Personally we preferred the Oyster Bar, the Terraces being a buffet meant there were people everywhere. We prefer fine dining and less noise.
We found all staff to be pleasant and helpful and checkout was fast and easy. We have a daughter who lives in the Gold Coast and we make a point of having a couple of nights to ourselves. The Sheraton is perfect for us and we will be back on our next visit.

1 Thank FarmersDownUnder
MarkSexton, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Mirage Resort, Gold Coast, responded to this review, 31 December 2013
Dear Contributor

Thank you for returning to our resort for your recent visit to the Gold Coast. We appreciate you sharing your thoughts and insights via this TripAdvisor review, and look forward to welcoming you again when you are next visiting your daughter.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

Great place to stay due to its location away from main beach. Rooms were fantastic, the pool area seemed a little tired (so many water areas but only one pool...), staff were excellent (as expected from Starwood), all up a great stay. Buffet was tasty but felt a little rushed and squashed.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Matt S
Dear Matt

Thank you for recently reviewing your October stay.

We are delighted you enjoyed our position here on The Spit, and our refurbished accommodation, and hope you will return when you are next on the Gold Coast.

With warm regards
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013

My partner and I stayed for three nights at the Sheraton Mirage Gold Coast. We chose a Lagoon Room as we wanted to be able to get outside but also be able to keep the door closed to keep mozzies out and cold air in. The recently refurbished room was great, even if you cant actually swim in the lagoon.

This hotel, like all others at this time of the year, has difficulty coping with the hotel guests only being leisure travellers and all wanting to access the pool. Most of the rest of the year, they cater to conferences etc, where everyone doesn't want to access the pool at one time.

The new refurbishment has one really weird outcome. To save power in the rooms on aircon and lights etc, they have installed movement sensors. This is all well and good but if you are asleep and not moving then the aircon will turn off and the room will heat up. The moral is that you need to be a squirmy sleeper to continue to get aircon all night!!!

4 Thank h0lidaysun
Dear Top Contributor

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay here at Sheraton Mirage. We were delighted to have you both with us, and appreciate the time you have taken to share your impressions of our resort.

Whilst we regret and apologise for the issue you experienced with your air-conditioning shutting down overnight, I am pleased to advise that the specifications for the sensor units (which were installed as part of our green energy upgrade during refurbishment) are for in room presence to be detected thermally, without the necessity of movement, and as such, there appears to be a faulty unit in your room. If you could make contact with my Assistant Sharon (07 5591 0873), with details of your booking that will enable us to identify your room and replace this unit.

Many thanks again for your review….and Happy New Year!

Warmest regards
sydney, australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

I stayed here together with relatives for three nights in the middle of January, 2013. We flew up from Sydney and arrived at the hotel through the Gold Coast Tourist Shuttle Bus Service, part of a package that included transfers to the theme parks from the hotel. The whole booking was done through Flight Centre.

Arrival

First impressions were good. The hotel is not too far from the Sea World Resort, where I had stayed just one year earlier. However, the lobby and general public areas were definitely much classier here and that was immediately obvious.

Unfortunately, the check-in experience didn’t go without hiccups. I passed the booking vouchers provided by Flight Centre to the reception desk. Clearly, three rooms were requested and the room booked under my name was meant to be a smaller room and not the Spa Studio room. The reception thought only two rooms were reserved so managed to book those next to each other. However, upon informing them that three rooms were requested, a third room needed to be found and it was a Spa Studio room but located far from the other two. As my relatives needed to be next to each other with children, I agreed to take the third Spa Studio room even though it was larger than I required. The room rate was also higher. Ideally, the three rooms should have been located near one another and checking the reservation carefully should have allowed that to happen. Although it was already 1:30 p.m., the rooms were not yet available.

The Room

It was a fairly long walk to my room but it was actually one of the rooms nearest to the hotel lobby. I found the room to be very spacious, which was as expected given that it was booked with the original intention of including at least a couple of kids. It had a bright and airy feel to it and was completely clean. The view was out towards the walkway to the lobby for the most part but a view of the sea was also possible out of the window next to the resting lounge sofa.

The lounge area was very comfortable with the large sofa lounger and a smaller coffee table area with two seats. It was nice to see a fully adjustable flat-screen TV which could be viewed from the seating area as well as the bed, as it could be swivelled around in place. The beds were comfortable, typical Sheraton quality. The work desk was large and definitely adequate considering that this was a resort after all.

The bathroom was a little on the smaller side and I wasn’t sure if the spa actually worked because I could not find the button to turn on any bubbles or such normally associated with a spa bath and in fact, I couldn’t locate the bath stopper.

Overall, the three rooms I saw were in good condition and apparently, the refurbishment has helped in some way towards creating the clean and fresh look within them.

Please note that I have videos of the room, which can be found through the link in my profile section.

Public Areas and Facilities

The public areas were all impressive and I felt that I was enveloped by the sea. The impression was created immediately upon entering the hotel foyer, which had a very high ceiling and had windows which looked out directly to the sea from a high vantage point. Landscaping throughout the hotel also helped to create the constant impression of being surrounded by water, which was a very welcome feeling. The lagoon water feature with clear blue water certainly helped to create the impression and additionally, boardwalks were provided so it was possible to walk above the lagoon. During evenings, the lighting effects in the foyer area were particularly pleasant.

The Oasis pool was likely just medium-sized by resort standards but looked out over the sea with a nice feature being the pool-side bar where it was possible to swim right up to the counter and order a drink. We did manage to try the bar twice for lunch while seated near the pool. While the service was a little on the slow side, we found the food to be of a very high standard and my strawberry milkshake was certainly appreciated on both occasions when it was hot and sunny. It was nice to see that the hotel had its own beach which was patrolled and the entrance was right next to the pool.

Breakfast was taken care of three times in a row at the Terraces Restaurant. The surroundings were very pleasant with an open and airy sense to the place, as well as being located right next to the lagoon and with good views of the water and sea. Food at the breakfast buffet was again always of a very good standard. I particularly liked the fresh fruits as they were all very fresh and seemed to require a certain standard before being put out as part of the buffet offerings. It was important to have good quality fruit, as that’s the first thing I eat in the morning to avoid the fruits fermenting with all the other main foods, something which not many people seem to believe.

For dinner, we tried the a la carte, the buffet and had room service on separate nights. No complaints about the food and good service was experienced all round. The buffet for dinner seemed to have a definite bias for seafood though. However, there was a good mix of other types of food including cold and hot selections such as Iranian meats. I liked the light-coloured stone used in the buffet table areas and for the dining tables, which might have been marble. The lighting effects in the evening were impressive.

Lastly, we also tried the Pearls Bar on the last day for coffee, which was of good quality. The views were excellent out towards the ocean but some of the artwork seemed to be a little questionable, especially for children. As we had so many meals, it was pleasing to see that Starwood offered the SPG Kids Pass program, where for a fixed daily rate it was possible for kids to eat from many different dining outlets. They had to wear a special plastic bracelet.

It was disappointing that the Internet wasn’t complimentary in the rooms but as with all Sheratons, there was a Link@Sheraton area in the lobby area which included the Internet workstations with Internet access. Complimentary wireless internet access was also available in the lobby area.

I explored the resort during the evening. It was quite a walk to find the Golden Door Spa & Health Club Centre so pleasing to see that it was very well-equipped. There were good spa and sauna facilities as well as outdoor tennis courts, an outdoor lap pool and a fitness centre. I didn’t manage to try any of the facilities but they appeared to be modern and in good condition.

Location

The resort’s located in the Main Beach area, near the Palazzo Versace and also close to the Sea World Resort, where I had stayed just a year earlier. So, it’s not near Surfers Paradise or what could be considered the main areas of the Gold Coast but is located in a quieter area, which would suit some. As we were mainly there to visit the theme parks, it was nice to see that the Sea World Resort was within walking distance, although it’s still about a one kilometre walk away so it was a bit tough to walk there during a hot and sunny day, which we experienced. It was good to get back to the Oasis Pool Bar to have a cooling drink on that particular day.

For the other theme parks, the Gold Coast Tourist Shuttle Bus provided a package which included transfers from the hotel lobby. It was nice to have a comfortable seating area at what the hotel refers to as the Porte Cochere, which is basically the covered area where the vehicles stop to pick-up and drop off passengers. The area was ideal for putting on the sunscreen lotion just before boarding the bus.

For shopping, we found the Marina Mirage shopping complex connected via link bridge from the resort. There were also a few eateries there and we tried one for lunch.

Staff

Staff service here was friendly on the whole. I didn’t encounter any grumpy or rude staff members at all, which was a surprise. Even though the reception mixed up the booking, they weren’t unfriendly at any point. It was simply a case of not checking the documents thoroughly enough. The Oasis Bar and Terraces Restaurant staff were all quite cheerful, as was the room service. I even received cheerful greetings when walking back to the room from staff passing by in the walkway area.

Conclusion

Overall, it was a top-quality experience here. Everything in fact was much better than I had initially expected with the facilities all being very good and the staff service was also surprisingly good. It was a very worthwhile stay and just a few issues mentioned at the beginning, if resolved would have resulted in an almost perfect stay.

NOTE: I have videos of the hotel room and parts of the public areas, which may be found through the link in my profile section.

Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank perryw
Dear Perry

Thank you for the considerable time you have recently taken to review your January 2013 stay with your family.

We are very grateful and quite overwhelmed at the detail you provided which gives such a comprehensive account of our resort and a Sheraton Mirage guest experience.

Perry, we hope you will come back for a return stay when you are next coming to the Gold Coast. Many thanks again for your wonderful review and the time you have taken to share your experience and insights.

Guildford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

Booked to spend nearly 1 week on the Gold Coast. 1 hour flight from Sydney, so seemed a logical trip, sun and sea etc. whilst the Sheraton is well placed away from the main action, peaceful and very tranquil. There really wasn't anything to do here except get into a taxi and travel which suited us. The spa was poorly advertised and when I asked about it, I was directed down the hall, curious. This made me believe that it wasn't worth the visit and reading other trip adviser reports I decided against going. The hotel's foyer is plush and beautifully decorated, renovated. The room we had was very pleasant, spacious and the bathroom great. I found the breakfast buffet well stocked with an array of fresh food, fruit, pastries etc but very expensive. The dinner in the buffet area was not so good and really at nearly 100 dollars per person I expected much more. The service in the Sheraton mirage does not reflect that of a 5 star hotel. It is slow in extreme both at breakfast, dinner and around the pool. We had to ask repeatedly for towels amongst other pool guests, Waiting for a sandwich took well over half hour and although I don't like to pester, I did and the response wasn't too pleasant. If it had been an isolated incident then fine but drinks also were very slow in arriving. My grouch is if you pay top dollar you expect efficient pleasant service and that is not the case here! Waiting to be seated at breakfast when there are plenty of empty tables, having to ask for tea and coffee 5 times really is too much, constant removal of plates when returning to the buffet, left us with no cutlery having to take them from other tables is irritating. We were directed over the road to the shopping centre for breakfast. I was encouraged to join the Starwood guest incentive scheme which offers 15% discount in the restaurants. I joined it and although it does mention on my bill that I was a member, the 15% discount was not recognised as I did not present a card. Card what card? Correct information at the time of joining would be helpful. Really if you offer a discount honour it! I felt embarrassed to query it and although the response was professional I definitely detected annoyance at not reading small print. When you look at hotel publicity pictures you can see a lot of water, don't be deceived in thinking that this is a pool because it isn't. The pool is very small for a hotel of this size. The pool barely managed to cater for the amount of guests and it was was not full! Areas were taped off and people had real difficulty finding umbrella space. I noticed other guests annoyed at rugby balls being passed from one end of the pool to the other. At one point 1 family confined their children to a side area as the mother didn't want her child hit in the head. Again this really isn't good enough. So we spent quite a lot of time away from the pool area!

I really do not wish the manager to respond to my trip advisor report. A pointless cleansing exercise from someone who really has not got his or her finger on the pulse of what could be a truly magnificent hotel. I suggest you mingle with your guests and staff and find out really what is going on in your establishment.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Annix2013
Dear Senior Reviewer

Whilst respectful of your request for no response to be posted, we did want to acknowledge and thank you for your review, and extend our sincere regrets for your experience which is disappointing and concerning to all of us here at the resort.

Warm regards
#2 of 21 in Broadbeach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,504 reviews
Sofitel Gold Coast Broadbeach
Meriton Serviced Apartments - Broadbeach

Been to Sheraton Grand Mirage Resort, Gold Coast? Share your experiences!