“Wedding Anniversary Weekend”

Sheraton Grand Mirage Resort, Gold Coast
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Main Beach
Reviewed 4 May 2014

This hotel is a stunning hotel in a fantastic location that I would've rated 4.5* given the option... There are a few minor issues that we experienced during our stay that prevented it being 5* or excellent! If it assists you in making a decision I prefer this resort over the Palazzo and would say its on par with the Marriott and we'll definitely be revisiting!

Pros:
- quality of the room, loved the size, quality of bed and bedding and the large bathroom and facilities rated 10/10
- friendliness of the resort staff and guests, everyone we walked past acknowledged us with a good morning/ afternoon etc. It says a lot about the resort that everyone we met was relaxed warm and friendly
- location of the resort. Being right on the beach front, out of the chaos of Surfers with no traffic noise is fantastic. There is a fantastic assortment of activities, restaurants and attractions within the close proximity of the resort. The link to Marina Mirage and arrangements with the centre for special offers for guests is fantastic. Would rate location 10/10
- General ambience and facilities at hotel are excellent. The resort reminded me of a Caribbean style resort and it would make a fantastic location for a wedding, the grounds are gorgeous and the views from all over the resort are amazing. Particularly stunning is the window effect from reception through the resort to the sea - definitely a wow factor. Would rate 10/10
- Breakfast at Terraces another wow! So much so that I'm arranging to bring the family to breakfast to celebrate my 40th birthday in June! The selection was totally multi cultural, fantastic quality, special requests were taken with a smile and the overall attention to service was amazing. My husband rates your pancakes as 'the best I've ever eaten' considering we've travelled all over the world for both business and pleasure this is quite the endorsement. He has already added Terraces breakfast as one of his business meetings of choice locations. The breakfast staff were all fantastic and the manager went over and above the call of duty to make us welcome. Terraces breakfast gets a 10/10

Cons:
- having to take my luggage to the room after check-in. I checked in before my husband and I suffer from a chronic illness that made having to walk my suitcase, makeup bag and handbag to the room extremely difficult. My daughter brought me to the hotel and a porter took my case from the car to the edge of reception but there was no further offer of assistance. Every other 4-5* hotel I've ever checked in to has had bell boy / porter service for luggage. I am not supposed to carry weights over 10lb and my suitcase weighed at least 20kg (okay I pack for all eventualities), add to this the distance from reception to our room in the north tower, the carpeted hallway and the inadequate signage to the lifts and it was an extremely arduous task! At one point I felt like sitting on the floor and crying which thankfully I managed to overcome! I didn't feel comfortable to ask for assistance, which many disabled patrons wouldn't as it makes you stand out! This is definitely an area that can be improved and takes your customer service rating from a 10/10 to a 7/10.
- The temperature of the food from the carvery section during dinner at Terraces. We ate at 8pm on the Friday and the temperature of the food was tepid at best with the lamb actually being cold. The quality and taste of the food was fantastic, the assortment was amazing even though neither of us is keen on Seafood we still had plenty of choice. The temperature of the food drops the rating from what would have been excellent 10/10 to very good 8/10.

The complimentary room upgrade, chocs and champagne was a lovely gesture together with celebration cake on Fri that we were given to take back to our room as I was unwell at dinner.

Suggestions:
Things that could improve the resort for holiday makers would be consideration of offering a full board food package option for use of the Terraces Buffet at a discounted rate.

Room Tip: We had a lagoon room which was very spacious with a lovely large corner bath that is big enough for...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
MarkSexton, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Mirage Resort, Gold Coast, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Dear Laura

Thank you so much for choosing Sheraton Mirage for your Wedding Anniversary Weekend, and for the time you have taken to provide us with your insights and detailed feedback, via this Trip Advisor review, and directly to our team here at the resort.

It is always a pleasure to welcome local residents, especially when they are celebrating, and we were truly honoured to have you and your husband with us for your very special occasion.

We are all so sorry though for the distress caused by no luggage assistance being offered when you arrived, and apologise for this lapse in our usual warm and intuitive guest care. Your feedback in this regard has been shared with our Rooms associates, as have your comments on the temperature of our Terraces Buffet Carvery food with our Executive Chef, and he has already followed this up to ensure the temperature matches the quality and presentation of our popular roast offerings. Chef and his team were also delighted to read of your husband’s rating of their pancakes!

Laura, we look forward to welcoming you both back for your 40th Birthday celebration. Thank you again for your gift of feedback, and your support.

With warm wishes from our team here at Sheraton Mirage

Mark

Write a ReviewReviews (1,633)

Reviewed 4 May 2014

Stayed for 2 nights 3 days for business conference. Breakfast on site was great nice selections available. Conference facilities are very good the food served during the day eg morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea was lovely. Good restaurants for evening meals within walking distance. Nice bar in the lobby area for after work drinks. Plenty of undercover parking. Good experience overall.

Room Tip: I had a garden room on the ground floor which meant I could have the doors open it was away from the...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
MarkSexton, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Mirage Resort, Gold Coast, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Hi Susan

It was good to have you with us for your stay in January, and we are so glad you enjoyed our conference facilities and services, and our location and the resort overall.

We look forward to your return, and hope this will be sooner rather than later.

For the moment….many thanks for taking the time to review your Sheraton Mirage experience.

Reviewed 2 May 2014

Enjoyed our stay here on a business conference. Staff were great food was good. Location is excellent. Rooms were recently renovated by the look and were quality and clean. Everything you would expect in a Sheraton. Resort is quite spread out so a lot of walking, but enjoyably so. Easy wheelchair access dispite this and had no issues getting around with a person in a chair.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Hi Dave

Gold Coasters have been wonderful in their support of our resort since we opened in 1987, and we were delighted to have you with us for your October conference stay. Thank you for reviewing your Sheraton Mirage experience so positively.

We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back as a patron or guest sometime soon.

With warm regards

Reviewed 2 May 2014

Went to check in and wow I stood there and took in the view instead, it's the only hotel with beach front access. Do urself a favour and get beach views, we got the lagoon room which was very nice and spaciousnes too though and our 2 yo had plenty of room to play and go look outside at lagoon on doorstep. Bed was oh so comfy. Bath was big enough for her to swim in. Cupboard was also big enough for her to make a bed in it and make it her reading nook. Restaurants and shops near by. Totally rec.

Room Tip: Can't go wrong with beach views or lagoon rooms...I think...I was happy with our lagoon on a cur...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Mrsandmrj

Dear Mrs & Mr J

Thanks so much for your wonderful review and for choosing Sheraton Mirage for what appears to have been quite a special family stay.

We’re delighted you enjoyed your Lagoon accommodation, and agree also that Ocean category (level 2) or Ocean Premium (level 3) accommodation is particularly special with its view across the beach to the beautiful Pacific.

We all hope you will return to us before too long…perhaps for a stay in a beachfront room next time?

Reviewed 1 May 2014

Upon arrival we were greeted by staff who quickly collected our luggage, advised me of how our Car would fit into car park if we removed the Aerial which he did himself, Reception Manager was very friendly and processed us very efficiently, our room was ready early which was a bonus. Pool was in need of repairs to tiles and with a little effort would bring it up to World class standard. Room was clean, beds very comfortable, only complaint was mould on ceilings in Shower. We had a Buffet Dinner which lived up to expectations. Overall we had a most enjoyable time and would definitely come back and hopefully by then the minor issues I mentioned would have been rectified.

Room Tip: Ground Floor Lagoon Rooms have a nice little outdoor area to sit and enjoy the views and gardens.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear John

Thank you for your review on your family stay in April.

We appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience, and are pleased to advise our Oasis Pool will be undergoing an upgrade at the end of the month.

Looking forward to welcoming you all back when you are next travelling again to the amazing Gold Coast.

Warmest wishes

Reviewed 26 April 2014

Stayed here for four nights in February this year. I was overall impressed with the hotel, apart from the attitude of the pool bar staff that actually closed early on two occasions when there were in excess of 25 people each day sitting around the pool. It was only when a major international band were around the pool and wanted the bar open that they re-opned. Closing the bar at 3:30pm in the middle of summer is a joke as people want to sit around the pool and have a drink when on holiday..

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Inspired2travel
MarkSexton, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Mirage Resort, Gold Coast, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2014

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for staying with us in February with your family, and for taking the time to recently post a review on your Sheraton Mirage experience.

Whilst delighted you were impressed with our resort overall, we extend our sincere apologies for your experience at Oasis as a 3.30 pm closure of the Bar is definitely not in keeping with our Summer operating hours. If you could spare a little more time to contact Peter Elakis (our Executive Assistant Manager) on 07 5577 0112, this would be very much appreciated, and would enable Peter to follow up to better understand just what happened over the period of your stay.

We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you and your family on a return visit, and thank you again for your review and your gift of feedback.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

We stayed 10 nights in January school holidays, in a Garden Terrace room for $412/night. This review takes price into consideration and compares with other competitively similar hotels.

HOTEL ENTRANCE / LOBBY

WOW! The grand, ultra-contemporary style indoor-outdoor entrance is striking - like something out of a Vogue photo-shoot. Our expectations were now set quite high for the rest of the experience.

The lobby staff were well trained and up to the standard you come to expect of a Sheraton hotel.

The porters were also well trained but definitely went more of an extra mile than the lobby staff, and came across more authentic with their Queensland [warm & friendly] personality shining through their well trained responses.

ACCOMMODATION

Nothing to write home about - pretty standard 4-5* hotel chain decor, but beginning to get tired at the edges; thumbs up on water pressure in the shower though.

We were 'upsold' the garden terrace when we initially asked for a pool access room but were disappointed with it as it was not a well manicured garden area and was only the size of a small balcony. The pool access rooms were a lot better [nb: they aren't directly into the main pool but rather a little private wading pool that runs around the property] and with the heat, it would have been nice to just dip into the water whilst reading a book ...so I'm not sure how this was the "better option". I tried to change it but they had unsurprisingly sold out.

The cleaners were always smiling and friendly and did a good job at maintaining the rooms.

POOL / POOL BAR

A lovely heated pool with a swim up bar (which sadly had VERY slow service, which you don't expect from a 5 star resort at >$400/night). Staff seemed distracted in their own conversation, and seemed more in tune with Jamaica / Bali time. They were friendly enough though.

The biggest issue with the pool is the early morning Towel Reservation protocol that seemed to take place - unless you were up early enough and happy to join in with this, it was very hard to get seats together. The sad thing is that most of the lounges remained unused for the entire day, but, unlike other 5*s I've stayed in - the pool grounds staff did nothing to enforce their 'no towel reservation' policy.

THE BEACH

Just a few feet away from the pool and you're directly onto a beautiful patrolled sandy surf beach. This is a major plus for the Sheraton Resort.

THE "TERRACE" RESTAURANT

We had the buffet breakfast and buffet dinner in the Terrace restaurant each day. The quality and variety of food available was good - catering for all needs (roasts, salads, soups, fried foods, sushi, fresh seafood incl oysters, salmon, prawns, crabs, sashimi, etc).

Service (with reception to one bubbly young girl) was the worst I'd ever experienced at a hotel in this category: consistently v-e-r-y slow (for example, I didn't receive the wine I ordered on arrival until we finished the meal; I didn't receive the coffee I ordered at breakfast at all) and the staff seemed very unhappy in general. To be honest I felt like they were significantly understaffed and therefore completely overworked, resulting in this poor service level - management really should monitor this more effectively (first and foremost to improve staff satisfaction).

We were also treated as completely new guests every day we were there - it was quite bizarre as a couple of the restaurant desk staff who greeted us there every morning and night for ten nights, would ask us EVERY night (including the last night), if we were staying at the hotel?! (we did find it quite amusing but not in a way that hotel management would like!).

WHAT'S ON

Other than the sub standard levels of service, this was the biggest issue with staying at Sheraton Mirage for us, and is the main reason we would not be back [even if service levels improved].

Given it was the main summer holiday for kids (with accommodation prices reflecting this), there absolutely zip all to do in the evening. As a result there were kids aimlessly wandering around looking completely bored and trying to make up games. It would not have taken very much fore Sheraton to have put on some live entertainment in the evening around by the pool ....just like they did for the private corporate groups staying at the hotel [which meant that half the pool area was closed off on two afternoon, to enable them to construct the party area!!]. On the nights where this private entertaining was happening, it was interesting to see how many families came out by the pool to catch a glimpse of what they were missing - it summed up just how non-eventful Sheraton is for families as soon as the sun goes down! The only places to go in the evening were the bars in the hotel, but these are not at all kid friendly (not even for tweens/teens) and were full of corporate groups making it feel like you were gate-crashing an after hours corporate meeting.

Outside of Sheraton there is also very little to do in the evenings, unless you grab a cab into Surfers. There is a Hogs Breath Cafe in the car-park beside the shopping centre opposite Sheraton but this didn't really appeal to us.

IN SUMMARY

GREAT FOR: corporate stays; people looking for a lazy pool & beach stay without evening entertainment
NOT GREAT FOR: families with under 18s, wanting to be entertained or socialise when the sun goes down.

TIP: go to Tedder Avenue for a great little upmarket village vibe with outdoor dining galore - we all fell in love with the place!

Room Tip: Pool access rooms are great for keeping cool in the hotter months (they access a separate private pa...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank JenBewes
MarkSexton, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Mirage Resort, Gold Coast, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Dear Jen

Our team appreciates the time you have taken to provide such a detailed and insightful review of your family stay here at Sheraton Mirage in January, and this has been shared with all associates.

Whilst pleased to hear of your positive service experiences, particularly with regards our Porte Cochere associates, we apologise for the service lapses you encountered at the Oasis Pool and Terraces, and for the issues you experienced regarding Pool Lounge availability. We annually review our Peak Season operations and the comments you have provided around areas where we definitely needed to do better have been discussed and carefully reviewed. As a team we will work together to ensure improvements in these areas right throughout the year, including the extremely busy holiday seasons.

We are grateful also for your Room Tip which gives us the opportunity to clarify our Lagoon Room category; this popular accommodation does provides access to an outdoor terrace to sit by the lagoons, however our lagoons are a water feature only here at Sheraton Mirage. and not accessible for swimming or paddling.

Jen, many thanks again for the gift of feedback you have very kindly provided via this TripAdvisor review, and for choosing our resort for your January visit to the Gold Coast. We do hope you all enjoyed very special family time together over your long stay.

With warm regards

QT Gold Coast
QT Gold Coast
#5 of 33 in Surfers Paradise
Meriton Suites Broadbeach

Been to Sheraton Grand Mirage Resort, Gold Coast? Share your experiences!