“No longer my favourite” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Main Beach
Melbourne, Australia
“No longer my favourite”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

I wrote a review about the Sheraton Mirage Gold Coast last year stating that the service was impressive. I stayed there again in May 2014 but unfortunately I would no longer rate the service as good as 12 months ago. While multiple websites list this resort as having a turn down service, at some stage during the last 12 months they changed this service to “request only”. Unfortunately they don’t tell guests this when checking in so you don’t find out until you don’t receive the service on the first night. This policy seems to have lost sight of good service and it appears more aimed at cost savings for the hotel. Why not tell guests when they check in rather than having them find out the hard way?

I actually checked into the hotel twice in one week, neither time being told about the turn down service being request only. I mentioned to reception when first checking in that I had to stay somewhere else for 2 nights in the middle of my stay because when I tried to book the whole hotel was booked out. He showed no empathy regarding the situation which surprised me. It was probably a God send because I ended up staying at the Hilton Surfers Paradise for those 2 nights and found it a better alternative to the Sheraton.

Two nights after checking back into the Sheraton my room was invaded by large ants. This happened when I stayed there last year and I now realise it must be a regular occurrence. At my request I was moved to another room (last year they sprayed my room twice but the ants still returned) and 2 days later when I checked out I noticed some more ants in the new room. When I mentioned at check out about the ant problems the receptionist actually said nothing! I took that to mean she’d heard it so many times before that there was nothing she could say. She just gave me a look and smiled.

There also seems to be inconsistencies with the room servicing. On my second stay room service left mouthwash in the bathroom after the first night. I received no mouthwash for the first 3 nights. I don’t understand why. This also occurred when I stayed there last year. Do they only put it out one day a week?

On the morning of my first check out the door bell went and there was a male staff member at the door. I have no idea what he was there for. After opening the door he said, "Oh, I didn't expect anyone in here". I told him I was checking out that day and he just said thanks and left. Strange.

On the positive side the beds are comfortable, the bathrooms have a nice large bath. The lagoon and surrounding gardens are beautiful and the breakfast buffet is outstanding.

I wouldn't bother with the Golden Door Spa next door. They have no soap in the showers, only shampoo & conditioner. If you've had an oil massage, how are you supposed to get clean? When I pointed out there was also no soap in the dispenser next to the basin they just said, "Oh, the people using the gym must have used it all". My 80 minute massage ended with the masseuse standing over me, not touching me for nearly 10 minutes. I have no idea what she was doing. Maybe reiki (which I didn't ask for)?

With the drop in service standards and the ongoing issue with the ants, I can’t recommend the Sheraton Gold Coast to my friends or work colleagues. For the price they need to do better. For luxury accommodation I would have to say the Hilton is much better value, style & service.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Jon B
MarkSexton, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Mirage Resort, Gold Coast, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear Jon

Thank you for taking considerable time to post another review on our resort, together with completing on line surveys, further to your two recent stays.

We really appreciate your insights and feedback, and at the same time are terribly disappointed at your experience with regards ants in your room – these are isolated instances and we are so sorry this happened to you twice – and with the service inconsistencies and associate encounters you outlined, and extend our sincere apologies.

We’re grateful also for your feedback regarding Turndown Service; Sheraton Hotels & Resorts globally revised our Turndown Policy some years ago now. This was not done to save costs, but to align ourselves with guest expectations and feedback we were receiving that this was often a disturbance, and not a service appreciated by all guests. Notwithstanding that, Turndown has always been available at our resort, is noted on our in room television guest information, and will continue to be available and highlighted on profiles (as now with yours) when guests indicate that this is a service they would like and appreciate.

Jon, we thank you for your past support, and for your feedback and review, and do hope you might re-consider and give us another chance in the future. For the moment our team joins me in wishing you all the very best, and enjoyable stays at alternative accommodation on your Gold Coast visits.

With warm regards
Mark

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (464)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

I stay here for my honey moon with my husband last year on february. we stay there for 3 nights. we love the rooms. it's spacious, the bath room is very big too. we have late check in at that time. and when we in to the room. we've got a bottle of wine and a congratulation card from the management. it's so personalized. makes our stay memorable. we love the breakfast area, and they have a lot of choices too for the food.

the beach were awesome. it's so quiet.. feels like i'm on my private beach.
definitely will going back again

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank l0v3trav3l
MarkSexton, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Mirage Resort, Gold Coast, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear Reviewer

We were honoured to have you with us on your Honeymoon last year, and we thank you for taking the time to recently review this special stay.

We love surprising and delighting our celebrating guests, and it was lovely to know you so enjoyed our beautiful resort.

Looking forward with pleasure to your return!

Warm wishes
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

this hotel was recently renovated and the lobby is splendid. the staff is friendly. But the guest rooms do not match the price charged. the buffet meals are 'famous' and one can also walk across to the Marina Mirage complex where there are several very good restaurants and also cafes. otherwise it is isolated and guests should be prepared to drive if they wish to see anything else at nearby Surfers Paradise. however, it is a good place for families.

Room Tip: higher floors give more view, though the place is only three stories.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear medmar

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on our resort, further to your stay earlier this month.

We appreciate you taking the time to do this, and your support in choosing Sheraton Mirage for this visit down to the Coast, and hope you will return in the future.

Warmest regards
Gold Coast, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

We chose the Sheraton Mirage Resort on the Gold Coast as our wedding venue because of it's beach side location and photogenic grounds. With dedicated wedding planning staff and a very much "can do " attitude by the restaurant and kitchen team we had a perfect result.

Our wedding had only 35 guests yet we felt we were treated as if we had 500 guests. We used the Royal Suite as our main wedding prep area and that also worked out perfectly . Quality of food and drink service throughout our special day was outstanding.

This hotel, in my opinion, is reaching iconic status with it's recent refurbishment and is one of the finest resort hotels in Australia. The grounds in night or day time are beautiful, the Lobby in daytime with spectacular view of the ocean.

Room Tip: Third Floor rooms are usually quieter.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MarkSexton, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Mirage Resort, Gold Coast, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear Richard

Our Events team, and indeed all of us here at the resort, were very proud to read your review on your Sheraton Mirage Wedding, and we appreciate you sharing your experience of this most special of times. Likewise with your thoughts on the resort overall which you summed up so perfectly.

Congratulations from our team once again. We wish you both the very best of everything for the future, and hope we will see you back here again, perhaps for a Wedding Anniversary celebration?

Warm regards
Southport, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

Fantastic venue for any occasion. Rooms are large, clean and comfortable.staff are friendly and attentive. Breakfast buffet is very good, pick of menu is omelette made to order. dinner buffet is quite good as well, however some items are relatively tasteless...
A big thank you to Victor and staff at Pearls bar who helped make our day really special. Banquet / cocktail food was lovely!

Room Tip: Request an ocean view room on level 2 or 3. Go to buffet early if you are not fond of crowds.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Hi U2Sisters

Victor and his colleagues in Pearls were delighted to read your review of your May stay and event here at Sheraton Mirage, and as a team we all appreciated your five star rating.

We are grateful also for your gift of feedback regarding our dinner buffet; if you could spare the time to provide more detail please reach out via 5577 0000, and ask for our Sous Chef, Dennis, as he would value your insights.

The support local residents such as yourselves have extended to our resort since our opening is truly valued. Looking forward to welcoming you back sometime soon.

Warmly
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Lovely renovation, stunning pool. Good conference space and light filled meeting rooms. My room was far from reception, if I was on holidays I wouldn't mind too much, but when you are in and out of meetings it is abit far, we should have allowed more time for the breaks. Shame with the renovation of the bathroom they didn't add an exhaust fan as it got very steamy which made it hard to put on makeup. Overall a nice stay in a beautiful location

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Zickyboo
Hi Zickyboo

Thank you for reviewing your May conference stay. We are grateful for the time you have taken to share your insights, and are glad that overall you liked the changes which renewal has brought to our beautiful resort.

Your feedback regarding your bathroom is also appreciated, and we’re sorry for the issues you encountered in that regard. Despite that, we hope you will return when you are next travelling to the Gold Coast.

Warmest wishes
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed at the Sheraton Mirage Main Beach recently and I must say I was impressed with the hotel - still a 5 Star beauty after all these years. The room was spacious and well appointed and the pool area is fabulous. The staff were friendly and very helpful.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
MarkSexton, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Mirage Resort, Gold Coast, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear Helen

Thank you for returning to our beautifully renewed resort, and for taking the time to share your experience via this TripAdvisor review.

I’m delighted you enjoyed the experience, and especially the service of our associates who are always so eager to please.

We hope you will return when you are next visiting the amazing Gold Coast.

With warm regards
#2 of 21 in Broadbeach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,517 reviews
Sofitel Gold Coast Broadbeach
Meriton Serviced Apartments - Broadbeach

Been to Sheraton Grand Mirage Resort, Gold Coast? Share your experiences!