“Fantastic Family Holiday and Stay”
Review of Sea World Resort

Sea World Resort
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Main Beach
New York City, New York
“Fantastic Family Holiday and Stay”
Reviewed 14 March 2013

I had never been to Sea World before and we decided to include it in our family road trip holiday. Im so glad we did as it was easily one of our trip's highlights!
We travelled with a 3 year old and 7 month old and while I had some reservations about sharing a resort room together, it was spacious and enjoyable. The beds were also easily the most comfortable beds we slept on - and we stayed at 6 different places on our trip.
I had some great tips from my sister in-law (who has stayed a few times) that helped make this an awesome stay: 1. Book directly to get the best room. 2. Stay in the park wing (closer to Sea World theme park). We had a room on the ground floor which was perfect as we had the pool and water park just outside our door.
You get access to Sea World on both the day you check in and out so its fabulous value. The food may seem a little pricey, but its very nice. We saw the pizza at lunch and ordered it room service - not a great idea as it arrived cold but management were very kind and offered to send us a new one. The full buffet breakfast is fantastic!
Perfect pit stop for a young family - we will be back again and will probably stay for 2 nights instead of 1 - there is SO much to do!

Room Tip: Book a park wing room. Opt for eating in the restaurant than having room service.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
GM_Sea_World_Resort, General Manager at Sea World Resort, responded to this review, 18 March 2013
Dear Melissa D,
It's good to hear how much you enjoyed your stay at our Resort. We look forward to welcoming you back for longer next time!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,013)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 14 March 2013 via mobile

I think Sea World Resort is good for families with young kids. It's right next door to Sea World, meaning you can go in and out if kids next to rest or get changed. They also have a fantastic children's pool and water play area

Sadly when we stayed it rained almost constantly so we were limited as to what we could do - but that wasn't the resort's fault. We could see the potential.

We stayed in a basic resort room with two double beds which was big enough for our family of four (kids aged 7 and 13). My tall husband wasn't thrilled with the small beds but with our stay being only three nights he managed to cope. The bathroom and storage were fine.

Our room was right by the lifts in the Garden Wing and I was worried about noise but it didn't worry us (or we may have been too tired to notice after full days at the theme parks).

We were glad we decided to get a rental car at the last minute as there is nothing within walking distance. It was nice to be able to hop in the car and go to Tedder Avenue (the local cafe strip) or Marina Mirage/Mariner's Cove for breakfasts and dinners.

We did eat once at the buffet restaurant in the resort and while the seafood was fresh we didn't find it good value for money overall.

There are a lot of accommodation options on the Gold Coast and I would say Sea World Resort is a good option for families with young kids but not particularly exceptional or good value. Do your research.

Dear deepkickgirl,
Thank you for your feedback. We were very happy to hear that your family enjoyed their stay with us. We are about a 20 minute walk to Marina Mirage but with all that rain we experienced whilst you were here, I cannot blame your for hiring a car on the last few days to further explore the Gold Coast.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 13 March 2013 via mobile

I must admit I wasn't expecting the best accommodation but we all had a ball. Room was recently renovated, all staff are mega friendly and how good is the resort pool. Highly recommended and it wasn't just our 3 year old who had a great time haha.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 12 March 2013

It was an amazing experience. I loved the water display at 8, and so did the kids.

The cons-
1. The bathroom looked like 10 years old.
2. The lobby was not 'luxurious'.
3. The staff was okay, but some of them pretend they don't hear you when you are talking perfectly loud.

The breakfast was awesome, except there was way to many people and less seats available.

Also, the resort was faraway from everything else except Sea World.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
GM_Sea_World_Resort, General Manager at Sea World Resort, responded to this review, 17 March 2013
Dear Brian S,
I am pleased you had an ‘amazing experience’ at Sea World Resort. I appreciate your constructive comments about the resort. We are in the process of finalising a refurbishment of all of our hotel rooms and that will be completed shortly.
Our location is highly regarded by many of our guests who enjoy the position being away from the hustle and bustle yet close to the Broadwater and wonderful beaches.
We hope to see you back at the resort soon.
Melbourne
Reviewed 12 March 2013

Recently stayed in room 3037... where do I begin?

The room smelt bad. The coat of paint clearly isn't enough to mask the deep ingrained smell of smoke from the days when smokers were afforded the luxury of smoking inside. The air conditioner pumped out the same moldy tobacco smell, and upon closer inspection by opening the cover, it clearly hasn't been cleaned in a long time.

The condiments in the room were poor, with some of the tea bag packets listing an out of date from over two years ago. To save the next guest I threw these in the in bin, it wasn't hard.

The beds were hard and the pillows lumpy. Need I say more?

And finally... breakfast. Wow. I have never, ever, in all the large resorts and hotels I have stayed at, had to wait 45 minutes to be seated for breakfast. It wasn't even a matter of waiting for tables to be free, there were plenty empty, the problem was staff to attend to each guest to seat them. The buffet itself? I settled on toast with Vegemite.

This wasn't the cheapest accommodation, spend another $20 and stay closer to town.

Room Tip: If you must stay here, ask for a room at the back of the resort, away from the hustle and noise of t...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Dear Munkie87,
I am concerned to read your comments about your stay with us. Our breakfast buffet, particularly in peak times, is one of the most popular on the Gold Coast and on occasion some minor delays are experienced. I have spoken with the staff in this area about your experience and we have made some adjustments to ensure an easier transition for guests moving in and out of this area.
We are pleased to say that a great majority of the guests in our 405 rooms each night enjoy their stay and many come back time and time again. We would be pleased to welcome you back if you should choose to return in the future.
Newcastle
Reviewed 10 March 2013

I came for 5 nights that was great in room 3033, we extended for an extra $300 p/n for 3 night went to room no portacot as requested and paid for, the room was FILTHY aircon looked like it had never been cleaned mould in bathroom curtains filthy door jams weren't cleaned marks on the door and a hospital trip with 7mo baby from the dust set off asthma it was disguising the stench in there was making me sick asked for a refund they said they can't so stuck here but NEVER again!!! As for the restaurant I was there sat night from 6.15 until 7.55 not once was I asked if we wanted drinks I had to chase someone down!!! Terrible place

Dear Ebony 1990
I am pleased that initially your stay was ‘great’ but I am concerned to hear about your experience in the second room you occupied. I have looked into the issues and we believe we have addressed them. Our team members take great pride in their work and do everything they can to ensure guests have the best possible holiday experience when they stay with us. If we fall short on occasion we address that immediately. I have raised your issues with relevant managers and I thank you for your feedback.
Sydney
Reviewed 2 March 2013

We recently stayed for five nights at the resort on a special deal (off season) that included the 3 theme parks. We had read previous reviews and were expecting alot worse. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The rooms were serviced everyday. One day we were not given fresh towels. One phone call to housekeeping and within 20 mins we had fresh towels. Our hotwater tap in the bathroom didn't work. I told the staff at the front desk and they immediately sent someone to our room to check it out. They then called a plumber and it was fixed that day. I received a phone call from the hotel that evening to see if the job was done and that I was happy.

The room was a little small for the four of us (two double beds) and I probably should have organised an upgrade before arriving (two queen beds). There wasn't anything available when I asked the girl at the front desk. But other than that the room was okay.The resort is aging but great for a family at the price we got the package for.

The various buffets at the restaurant were also discounted with our package. The dinners have a different theme everynight. Wednesday night had a food of the world (or something similar) theme. It didn't look that good so we gave it a miss. Thursday night was italian food night and this was much better and fairly good value with the discount. (considering it includes all courses plus tea/coffee). We had the buffet breakfast once at the hotel and this was reasonable value for a one off, and the kids had fun with the automatic pancake maker.

There are restaurants a short drive away that ended up costing more than the resort buffet, but we enjoyed exploring other options.

We hired a car for the five days. This was well worth it as the resort is a fair distance from everything.

The convenience of having Seaworld a short walk away was great. The water features and pool in the resort (all operating) were a big hit with kids and parents. We had rainy conditions for most of the five days but this was to our advantage as there was never a long wait for rides at the parks.

I would recommend a stay here for families especially when they offer a good deal.

Room Tip: upgrade if you can afford it.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Pkguru1
GM_Sea_World_Resort, General Manager at Sea World Resort, responded to this review, 4 March 2013
Dear Paul K
Thank you for your thorough review. It’s great to hear that the team followed up on the couple of maintenance issues that you encountered. I am sorry that the weather was so bad for you during your stay.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Main Beach
Crowne Plaza Surfers Paradise
Crowne Plaza Surfers Paradise
#7 of 31 in Surfers Paradise
Sheraton Grand Mirage Resort, Gold Coast

Been to Sea World Resort? Share your experiences!