“An unfriendly, overpriced, outdated, rubbish resort”
Review of Sea World Resort

Sea World Resort
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Main Beach
Reviewed 7 October 2013

We as a group of 4 families had a 5 nights stay in this hotel in 4 separate rooms and all agreed that we experienced the most unprofessional and substandard hotel stay.

There is absolutely NOTHING in this hotel that matches world standard except its price! Its staff are arrogant and lazy. Its place is outdated and dirty. Its facilities are extremely "down to earth".

As soon as we entered the hotel lobby, we immediately felt "what a minimalism design", it probably hasn't been renovated for over 50 years. To check in, we had to queue up for over 20 minutes.

Then as soon as we entered the room, the feeling was "rooms are worse than any serviced apartment on the Gold Coast". Bath in my room is so dirty that small pieces of dirt are sitting in the bath welcoming us. During the whole stay, table tops or furnitures were never wiped so dust has built up to a thick layer by the time we checked out. When looking at the beds, the mattresses all slope in in the middle proving the senior age of these mattresses.

When I picked up our theme park tickets at the Adventure Centre, I queued up there for 30 minutes because there was only 1 staff servicing during this school holiday time.

There are many more occasions of wait in this hotel that I can't all list out. If you have too much time to kill, this would be your best choice.

Despite of the wait, the "wouldn't care less attitude" of the staff is another selling point of the hotel's. Throughout the stay, all the 16 of us agreed that we were not there to be served, we were there to BEG for service.

6  Thank Jenferlau
Write a ReviewReviews (4,706)

Reviewed 6 October 2013

Lets start with the positive.....great play facilities in the pool area. Our daughter had a ball. And that's about it for the positives.

Let's talk about the negatives: The pool was freezing....and I mean icy cold. Would be great if you could at least take the chill off so the kids aren't shivering/freezing after 15 minutes of swimming.

Staff - never been so disgusted in my life! From the welcoming and then the ongoing service of staff at this resort the whole experience was appalling. Your staff are rude, unfriendly and seem totally uninterested in offering any kind of assistance. I heard a staff member grunt at a family as she walked away from them, your staff were rude to my family and barely cracked a smile at any child. We tried to get information about the kids club and your staff member ignored us. There was no information about anything in the rooms and to ask staff was a challenge. Seriously where is the Australian spirit? It isn't at this resort. A smile goes a long way and your staff should learn to smile...at least at the kids. The staff seem flustered and everything was too much trouble for them.

We had a refurbished room which was nice however it was not cleaned properly at all with cobwebs and spiders in the cupboard.

The water slide at the water park still wasn't working properly and kept breaking down. People were paying to enter the water park purely to use the slide and no one told them it had stopped working. I know one lady wanted to get her money back and I doubt very much that would've happened!

Entry into resort....easy for anyone. Anyone can walk in and use the pool area.

Take this resort and put it in another country I say. For a family resort, you have a lot to learn about children and families, customer service and just plain being nice!

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere!
4  Thank Travelmumlg
Reviewed 6 October 2013

When we arrived, we were given the keys and due to the crowds, we did not ask too many questions about what was offered at the hotel i.e. restaurants etc since we assumed they would give it to us. They did not give it to us with the key, so we assumed that it would be waiting in the room. No information in the room.
When we walked into the room, we noticed a massive spider web on the door next to ours. It appeared that although our room was dusted, the room next door hadn't been in a while. Mold was discovered in the shower. The room, although it looked as though management did try to update the room a little, failed to finish all updates and therefor looked only half done. Couple this with the lack of cleaning, made a poor first impression. Half the women's toilets in the main floor were broken. The fire bell on the first floor must have had batteries that were beginning to lose their power because the beep from the fire alarms were going off every 5 minutes for the first morning we were there. The children wanted to go to arcade but were disappointed because literally half of the 10 machines were broken. The change machine was broken too so we had to go to the main desk to get change. I suggest that the hotel needs MORE maintenance workers to keep up with the building.
Due to the fact that no one told us that the information was on the TELEVISION (the kids grabbed the remote as soon as we walked into the door) we never knew ANYthing that was going on int he hotel. I must have called the front desk asking questions on which restaurants were open and at what times, prices and menu questions throughout our stay. We did not know that the information was on the TV until we were CHECKING OUT. We were lucky that there was a sign that said "dolphin presentation" and asked about that as well, otherwise we would have missed everything.
Needless to say, I felt like I was paying just to annoy everyone in the hotel asking questions about everything since we didn't get any information. Due to the lack of communication, and the maintenance, I will definitely stay ANYwhere else next time I visit Seaworld. There are hotels nearby that will offer a lot more for the same price.

2  Thank Leigh H
Reviewed 6 October 2013 via mobile

There's not much I can fault about seaworld resort. We got the room in a cheap deal with the entertainment book which inc a pass to the three theme parks for our entire stay. Being able to walk in and out of seaworld all day was fantastic and made it so worthwhile. We saw everything and did things twice and we loved that aspect of it.
We had a bay wing studio room which was a decent size with a small basic galley style kitchen. Everything was exceptionally clean and comfortable. Our room was ground floor and was ideal to let the kids run out onto the grass. The welcome sponge bob pack also kept them entertained. We had the seafood buffet which was also discounted with the entertainment book and the quality was top notch. We really can't fault anything here. The only thing would be the car parking which isn't undercover or guarenteed but we always eventually found a spot. We will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 6 October 2013

I visited SeaWorld Resort a few weeks ago, the rooms were pleasant, the pool area is great. The kids club fantastic, I was lucky enough to get a special & looked again to go for a night in the school holidays wow nearly $400 for one night, we already have VIP passes so we are only interested in the resort not entry to seaworld. Would definitely go again if reasonable price. We very much enjoyed our afternoon by the pool.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 October 2013

I visited Sea World Resort with my wife and five year old daughter. The good: My daughter loved the Sponge Bob water park and the character meet and greets. Easy access to the park. Excellent and extremely friendly staff. The not so good: the rooms are much like cheap motel rooms, very small. No toaster, no microwave. No free shuttle to other parks or to town. Very expensive buffet dinner. Not within walking distance of anywhere and transfers so expensive it made more sense to hire a car. Overall, unless you have a voucher to make this hotel reasonable, stay elsewhere.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Rob A
Reviewed 4 October 2013

I just read a previous review about tired staff and couldn't agree more. The reception here is essentially unpleasant and the atmosphere is not one I want my children around when they are on a special family holiday. I didn't hear a kind word said to any child, including my own, by anyone here - or in Sea World itself. I should say I did not hear anyone be unpleasant to a child but it was like they do not exist. There is no sharing of their joy at being on an exciting holiday, no look and smile - no warmth of any kind. The whole atmosphere of the place is of staff overworked and treating visitors like they are a chore to be around so that when making an enquiry you get the "you-are-the-thousandth-person-to-ask-the-question-today-and-you-should-know-the-answer-by-now" kind of answer. This atmosphere does not help to allay the responses of stressed out parents who are frequently heard snapping at children to behave themselves, which just adds to the dismal atmosphere. There are lots of young people working here who could easily be encouraged to show fun and interact with the kids but senior staff are generally sour-faced and often heard speaking in a condescending manner to them. Management need to take a leaf out of the book of overseas theme parks where cheerful staff are mandatory and from management down to visitors the joy becomes infectious and everyone has a holiday. The general atmosphere was the most stand-out thing for me but there were other annoyances such as the long wait for food to be delivered as the restaurant was booked out every night and the bath that had to be filled by the shower head as the taps didn't work. I might have said something but there's nobody around who cares...

Room Tip: The 'Garden wing' could also be called 'The Carpark wing'
1  Thank S P
Mantra on View Hotel
Mantra on View Hotel
#10 of 33 in Surfers Paradise
Sheraton Grand Mirage Resort, Gold Coast

Been to Sea World Resort? Share your experiences!