“Married at seaworld, worst experience ever!”
Review of Sea World Resort

Sea World Resort
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Main Beach
Reviewed 3 May 2014

On the 18th of october my partner and i got married at seaworld resort, worst experience of my life.
Let’s start with the planning.I would definitely not recommend getting married here to anyone! Leading up to the wedding i was stressing like anything, seaworld did very little to help, i would continually email them asking to make some plans, ie menu, music, time frames and they would always tell me they will get in touch closer to the date. Nothing was really set in stone until about 3 weeks before the wedding, which i felt like was pretty poor. I never had a chance to "stop and enjoy the excitment of getting married" because we were still planning it up until the last minute.

Then the day we checked in, after being sent from person to person it became apparent that we didn’t have a booking, we were left waiting in the lobby with a 2 & 4 year old for well over an hour while staff tried to figure out what was going on. In the end “we were upgraded” to a different room to which we booked. As it was the first time my children would be spending away from home a lot of planning went into this, booking a room that had two beds close together was my main focus even giving up the honeymoon suite for the night, instead of the large room with two queen beds we were given a room with a double bed and a sofa bed in the lounge room. The stay with my children was a disaster, the first night there (the night before my wedding) my wife was up and down all night trying to first get the kids to sleep in a strange place in a separate room from their mum and then trying to settle them throughout the night before giving up in the early hours of the money and taking both kids into the double bed with her. Only to be awoken again at 4 am as the blinds in her room didn’t shut.
The following day was a little chaotic as you could imagine, someone came to clean our room that morning which included a poopy diaper from our youngest he said as it was very busy in the room he would come back we said ok, as the only bin you provided in that room was a tiny office like bin so we had gathered rubbish in a pile on our bench, when we returned after our ceremony no one had returned to clean our room and we had the joy of placing our cake next to the rubbish on the bench and smelling poop until the next morning. As much as my wife would be devastated for me to say but the whole day was a disaster and I can see it in her eyes it upsets her, it was pouring for most of the day (yes I know not your fault) but was told we would have up until an hour before to make the decision to do inside or outside, and yet 3.5 hours before the wedding we were put on the spot to make a decision we choose inside and yet by the time our wedding started the sun was out :(, the gift boxes weren’t placed in the correct spots making our guests go on a treasure hunt to find theirs although some people had already eaten their chocolates out of the box placed with their name card etc. etc. then unfortunately my wife received her “monthly”, being in a white dress she was stressing, I went to the front desk hoping to get any type of sanitary products but was told you didn’t have any (a huge gorgeous hotel with wedding after wedding and you don’t stock something so simple, even a coin dispenser machine in the bathrooms?) I was told the guest shop probably would have some but they were already shut. I had to return to my office to get my car keys and drive elsewhere to pick them up by now I had already had a few beers but was unsure what else I could do as my wife hovered around the bathroom and the wedding coordinator had already left. I returned about 20 minutes later only to see they had packed up most of the food without even consulting us, the only food we had left was the little bit of cold food we had served up before my wife realised her little lady problem.

The next morning we had room service breakfast as part of our package, we set out to enjoy our first day as a married couple only to return to our room at about 4/5pm and had to step over our dirty breakfast dishes to enter our room. We also had to call maintenance about the curtains not shutting and the toilet that ran all night, he mucked around for a few minutes which stopped the toilet running for a few hours until it was flushed again in which it begun again. At that time my wife broke down and just sat on the end of the bed and sobbed. The kids had to sleep on blankets on the floor as that was the only way we could all get some sleep.

So much planning went into our wedding, we wanted to stay somewhere that was child friendly, that we could have our own "honey moon" like holiday as we felt our children were to young to be left, and the whole thing was a complete disaster. We wrote to seaworld expressing our dissapointment and got a very cut and copy response with an offer if we come back next year we can get one night free, what a joke, needless to say we will not be going back, for what we thought could be a yearly holiday with our young children and reminisce about our gorgeous wedding day.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
11  Thank Sandy-Shaun
GM_Sea_World_Resort, General Manager at Sea World Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Dear Sandy-Shaun,
It is disappointing to see that you have shared your experience with Trip Advisor after discussing the occasion with us a few months ago. The wedding co-ordinator involved in your day replied to every email you both sent within 24 hours of receiving it with the information requested. In regards to the bedroom allocation as already explained the team upgraded you to a suite because it was your Wedding Night and they thought that you may want some time alone. We would have most certainly put up a rollaway bed for the children if we had known, it really wasn’t necessary for them to sleep on the floor without bringing this to our attention first. As also previously discussed we apologise sincerely for the shortcomings in the service you received as we never wish for our guests to leave our resort disappointed, particularly for their Wedding. As also offered was a return stay for your family by way of compensation which was by no means a ‘cut and paste’ and I did suggest you do this for your anniversary as you pointed out previously that you were considering returning on that date but as I see from your post you will not be taking us up on this offer.

There are newer reviews for Sea World Resort

Reviewed 3 May 2014

We stayed this time in April/May after the school holidays in the same room which had been recently refurbished. A premier double view room on the ground floor straight onto the pool. I like the wing off the main reception as its close to entering the park and all amenities.
Staff were great, speedy check in and out. We ordered room service many times and enjoyed unlimited in room movies on a special offer.
Great for kids, our package "Red hot deal" included unlimited entry into all 3 parks and 25% off food and Bev.
This was many of a return trip and we wouldn't stay anywhere else. Sad to leave as it was on.y for 3 nights.

Room Tip: Premier style with a pool view
1  Thank samanthajoanne1974
Reviewed 1 May 2014

I booked sea world resort in October (5 months in advance) as a surprise getaway for my husband and 2 kids aged 1 and 3. I made a string request arc the time for a room close to the pool. When we arrived the first thing i noticed was the unfriendliness of the staff. After being shown to our room I was appalled to find that not only was our room furthest from the pool but that our balcony view was a dirt carpark. It was claimed that we were in a renovated part of the hotel but the rooms were simply just painted. The bathroom was old and the bath tap went from cold to hot without warning which was appalling particularly having 2 young kids. I requested a different room after voicing my concerns and disappointment only to be told that I would need to pay an extra $80 a night to change rooms- I had already payed over $1000 for a 5 night stay and I found this unacceptable. It ruined the entire stay and I would definitely never stay here again. Further the restaurant is old and the food is average for what you pay and the pool water is freezing which again is disappointing considering the number of kids who visit. VERY disappointing to say the least.

• Stayed: March 2014
4  Thank NatashaStam
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

Rooms are modern and clean. Reception very friendly and helpful. Use of resort facilities prior to check in great option. The attached water park free of charge is great! Light show at night loved by the kids and close proximity to sea world with unlimited entry great. Great for young children. There is reasonably priced food available and the buffets were excellent standard. Slightly out of surfers but no need to leave, everything on site and if u have a car only 7 mins to surfers. Great family holiday destination,

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Ladyhump01
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Room not ready at 2pm more like 340pm. Manager can’t be bothered to walk out of the office to chat with paying guests and thinks by sending out 4 drink vouchers will be okay. We paid full theme park accommodation rates. So NO, cheap shopperdocket deal. Stayed in a spa-suite and I have to say, in probably the worst location. Back of the resort, no view and travelling with 1 adult and 3 kids, this was not a fun 3 night getaway. The pool area was impressive. Best thing about this place, the SeaWorld Access. Only would I stay here, is if we are thinking about going to SeaWorld. Hit and miss with staff. Half friendly, the other I would do some training. Reception, Tour desk & Maintenance great. Manager, Concierge & Shop Staff - need training. Good luck with your stay, is all I can say.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool facing room if traveling with kids (if you don't mind the noise).
2  Thank CHATS1970
Reviewed 24 April 2014

We are actually staying at the Resort at the moment, a couple nights still left to go.

Having stayed here many years ago, I was very worried about booking again. The first stay was pretty poor from memory, but at that time it was just a couple stay.

This time around we have two great kids to bring along...

The resort is very busy, which creates a really nice atmosphere, lots of kids running around which is nice for our kids to be around.

Rooms, pretty much standard mid range hotel accommodation, not huge but livable, clean enough and the bathrooms are ok with a nice big tub. Airconditioning is poor, right now we have it on full blast and due to the room layout the only cool part of the room is the desk and chair, the beds don't seem to get any of the flow, poor design!

What makes the resort though of course is that it is so easy with kids, Seaworld and monorail at the door, water park and reasonable pool for a play, the water is freezing though.

Breakfast buffet, if you have to pay then go elsewhere. Seems absolutely everyone is on some sort of deal, shopper docket etc. no one pays full price and the reason for that is that it is not worth it, it actually still isn't a good deal at half price, plenty of cheap breakfasts down the beach.

You can certainly get nicer accommodation in Surfers Paradise, but this place has the complete package for families, if they can just improve the food, which is so important with kids, then this would be a really good place to stay.

Having said that, it still is good enough if you have kids.

2  Thank JWBG
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We stayed in February as a family group of 11, very surprised that we were ugraded to a beutiful room, the staff were very helpful and friendly would definately stay again, we had a great time and will be back.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Meriton Suites Broadbeach
Meriton Suites Broadbeach
#1 of 16 in Broadbeach
Sheraton Grand Mirage Resort, Gold Coast

Been to Sea World Resort? Share your experiences!