“great location low frills resort.”
Review of Sea World Resort

Sea World Resort
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Main Beach
Reviewed 4 May 2014

we just spent 5 nights at Sea World Resort. it's close to Sea World and has a really lovely pool. Our room was in the Garden wing at the very end which was very quiet but far from many amenities. the Lobby is on the 3rd floor while the resort facilities are on the ground floor. to get to sea world you need to go up to the 3rd floor, through the gift shop and our to the monorail station. the monorail is slow so it usually made sense to walk in using the long switchback ramp - down again.

the rooms were not large. if you have a number of people staying it can get a little cramped and there is not much space to store your suitcases. there were no robes or slippers, but you can buy slippers for $5 at the gift shop. the toiletries were nice, but there was no sewing kit or shower cap. the standard room had two double beds. they were a bit saggy and too soft for my tastes.

the staff were either brilliant or terrible. special mention goes to Kathleen at the front desk and to Jon at the lounge who were fantastic. the pool is beautiful and well maintained. it also has lifeguards from opening till closing (9pm).

My Child loved the pool and the balcony, there are playgrounds in every wing and parking lots near to every wing which makes getting out to your car faster. I recommend renting a car, the parking was plentiful and free at all the parks and movie world and wet and wild are about 25 minute drive away.

there is a small shopping center down the road with a mc Donalds, a chemist and a few other things. it's also where you can book boat tours and go to a few different restaurants. the Shoreline restaurant is ok but very expensive with only average food. we all agreed that the food was acceptable but not excellent. the breakfasts were better. unfortunately the packages for the buffet restaurant were on a night and morning basis. you could buy your dinner and breakfast for the next day at a small discount but not a weekly meal plan or breakfast plan. we would have been interested in a discounted breakfast plan for the week.

For those with disabilities or pain issues there are only two elevators, one per half. there are loads of stairs but walking to and waiting for the elevator can be quite tiring. I suggest asking for a room near the elevator if you need it. (I'm pretty sure we did and it was ignored but try anyway)

we had a wonderful time and my 4 year old loved it. the rooms are fine if you don't intend to spend much time in them. the in room dining is fantastic and not too expensive by resort standards. we fell asleep exhausted most nights after big days at the parks and the blackout curtains were most welcome! it is a solid 3.5 star hotel trying to be a little more.

Room Tip: The garden wing was nice and quiet.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

Stayed at seaworld for the kids (2,5,6) they all had an amazing time. As did I!
The rooms are comfortable, thE resort is fantastic with so much to do.
We bought a voucher were we got unlimited entry into seaworld, movie world and wet and wild. Plus a whole bunch of other goodies (discounts on food and animal adventures ect)
Food Is decent, but expensive.
Only thing I would changed is upgrading to a room with a kitchenette.
Also the noise from other kids running up and down the halls at night is annoying but expected at somewhere like this.
Will defiantly come back!

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Bec P
GM_Sea_World_Resort, General Manager at Sea World Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Dear Bec P,
Thanks for your post. We look forward to welcoming you back to our Resort with your young family in the future.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

We stayed here over Easter (at time of booking didn't realise it was going to be Easter, if I had realised I probably would have stayed elsewhere).

A little about us - couple in mid 40's with our 21yr old son. we had just 3 nights here at the tail end of our cruise holiday, we wanted to check out Sea World and Movie World again.

We booked one of the renovated rooms, two doubles (or maybe queens) in a room overlooking the water park and the inlet where the jet skis and jet pack things are.

When we booked we did ask for an early check-in (I did say I was happy to pay extra to guarantee, but was told they had noted my request and they'd do their best but no promises. Of course once I noticed it was the Saturday after Good Friday, I thought no way would I get in ealy, as ppl would be enjoying their last few hours at the hotel/sea world etc.

Anyways, we arrived, our cases were whizzed away as soon as we arrived in the driveway, we kept one small bag - had son's ipad, hubby's ipad and some cameras, etc. i had my bag, that had passports, cash, my purse and my son's epilepsy medicine. Upon check-in was told the room would be ready at 2pm. Went over to tell hubby and son, in meantime we grabbed some toast and pancakes and coffee and tea, and tried to decide what to do.... Didn't want to go into seaworld carting hese bags around, and I didn't feel good putting our electonic, passports and the medicine into the care of then concierge. We decided instead we'd pop over to Pacific Fair, and hubby had a brilliant idea, he suggested we grab one our cases and put the ipads, camera and passports in and put the lock on the case, and just take my bag with the cash, medicine and the other stuff I carry around.

So we popped over to the Concierge and asked if we could grab one of our cases to grab some things out and then they could have it back. Concierge looked a bit worried about this request, and then we qere told they didn't have our cases.... Ummmm but all good news, no we've sent your bags up to your room, and fhey suggested we check with reception to confirm room ready.

We checked and room was ready, we were happy about this and quite surprised.

So all in room, we soon changed, packed out valuables away and hit sea world and had great fun.

The room - was lovely, the beds were comfy, the bathroom was a bit strange, the toilet is pretty much right on the wakk, so you have the toilet roll holder digging into your ribs if you sit straight, and I found it hard ti reach around (holder on the left and being right handed) and grab the loo paper, almost had to be a contortionist to perform that action. Ended up taking the loo roll off the holder to use easier. The way the toilet seat was angled, it appeared that others had maybe sat on an angle to be more comfy. Thats was probably my main bug bear.

Found the curtain in the room didn't quite fit, if I pulled it across to block out the lights in the cnr near the desk, then was left with a small gap in the middle for light to come through, if I pulled it to meet in middle then got the lights at the end near desk, and the lights would then reflect and shine off the large mirror near the bed.We ordered dinner from room service and it was delish I have to say - we actually ordered room sevice each of the three nights, and we were never disappointed.

Now I did mention that we were there at Easter, and the place was packed with kids. I know the resort caters to the kiddies, and they obviously really love the place, but we didn't really enjoy the hordes of kids, shrieking and stampeding up and down the hall way, and the kids in the apartment above us were like stampeding elephants. Look they weren't being naughty just excited I think, the shrieks were shrieks of delight and excitement.

They have a sponge bob show each evening, and have music and the kids all run and play in the water, so this was quite loud too, but of course this was quite happy noise and you couldn't really not smile and giggle at the kiddies, although for us it the end of a very long day and we kinda just wanted to close our eyes and go to bed (we'd been on go since about 3am).

We loved our view from the balcony, loved watching the ppl on the water, on jetskies and trying to master those jet pack things. Very relaxing after wandering the theme parks and shops.

They have a coin laundry for guests which was very handy - my only suggestion, could you pls put a chair or 2 down there to sit on whilst wAiting an hr for the wash cycle and then a near hr for the dryer. After standing and leaning on washer for 45 mins I decided my poor feet could take no more and I had to sit on the concrete floor and then the lights went off, they're motion activated.

We did find the 2nd night not so many ppl there and the noisy kids running and shrieking down the corridor had pretty much subsided. That morning the young boy in the room next to us did throw a major bratty tantrum - I guess that's one of the downsides of a resort pretty much catered to kids, they don't want to leave and turn slightly feral when they know they have to leave, the kids absolutely love it and don't want to go - ever!

(oh when I say slightly feral, I don't mean he was biting anyone or attacking them, or even doing any damage - he was just incredibly rude to his mum/dad or grandparents whoever it was he was with, dropped the lip, stomped around a bit and shouted that he was never leaving the greatest place on earth). Pretty good review from a youngster.

By the 3rd night it was really quiet, still kids around as they came down and enjoyed the sponge bob show.

The only other things I'd comment on:

Pool - Absolutely freezing (for adults - kids seemed to love it)
Guest shop - has items such as milk, icecreams, sunscreen etc - very hand indeed.
Room - has a small kettle, but no toaster.
Room service - couldn't fault it, the burger is delish
Lounge near checkin - lovely friendly staff, lovely milkshakes, good coffees, and comfy seats.

all in all, if we were to return to Qld and want to revisit Seaworld we'd stay (as long as not a public holiday - this time is more suitable to families with the young kids I think).

Oh and we paid full price no shopper docket thing for us.

Couldn't fault the staff throughout the resort at all - thank you for our stay.

1  Thank Seadaz

Dear Seadaz,
Thank you for your review. It's great to hear how families with grown up children enjoy staying at our Resort. Easter was hugely successful for us and to top it off we even got a visit from the Easter Bunny on Easter Sunday! In regards to you mentioning the bathrooms, we are commencing a bathroom renovation in July to follow on from the recent bedroom upgrades. It is a very good comment about chairs in the laundry and I will get this arranged. I would also like to mention that our pool is heated to 26 degrees during winter so it is disappointing to hear that you found it a little cold. Overall it sounds like you had a very enjoyable stay and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

We spent 5 days at this resort and loved every minute. From the time we walked into the resort we had the best family holiday. Our girls ages 12 and 9 enjoyed the pool and the sponge bob disco held each night. The kids club was amazing giving my husband and I the time to enjoy a massage and dinner at the Japanese restaurant. Both were exceptional. We had unlimited entry into 3 of the theme parks and because it was our daughter's 12 birthday we organised a family swim with the dolphins,amazing. Because we flew to coolangatta We decided to hire a car to get us to movie world and went wild, glad we did it just meant we could come and go as we please. We ate at hogs breath and fishermans walk tavern, at mariners cove, amazing food and within walking distance. from resort . I would recommend that you ask for a pool view room. Pus ways room 3604 we had a view of the pool as well as the water. The rooms are not big but we were only there to sleep as we were on the go the whole time. We always came back to our beds made and our room cleaned. Thank you Sea World Nara resort for starting our QLD holiday with a bang. Dianne, Bathurst

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Dianne J

Dear Dianne,
What great feedback. It really makes our day when we hear that you had the best family holiday with us. Thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

We traveled to the GC to catch up with family with young kids, ordinarily we wouldn't of stayed here, we chose a ocean view room which also overlooked the kids water park.
If you have kids this is certainly the place to stay, if you don't I wouldn't recommend it, "Sponge Bob & Square pants" rules this place, restaurant & lobby included.
Our room was nice and quiet down the end towards the ocean, our relatives rooms over looked the monorail track so choose carefully if you want a view.
The water park does a kids water show around 8.30pm then switches off so all good in that respect. There is a generous car park available and free monorail through to sea world.

It was enjoyable but we were the for a reason.

Room Tip: If you don't have children take the ear plugs and a dose of patients.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank 321Karlos

Dear 321Karlos,
Thank you for your post. We certainly do get lots of families who stay with us particularly during school holidays. The Resort is buzzing with excitement from 9am each morning for our character appearances in the Lobby until last thing at night when they get the chance to dance around in our Sponge Bob Lightshow! We pride ourselves on being at the heart of fun and adventure here at Sea World Resort and it's great to hear that you all had a good time.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

On the 18th of october my partner and i got married at seaworld resort, worst experience of my life.
Let’s start with the planning.I would definitely not recommend getting married here to anyone! Leading up to the wedding i was stressing like anything, seaworld did very little to help, i would continually email them asking to make some plans, ie menu, music, time frames and they would always tell me they will get in touch closer to the date. Nothing was really set in stone until about 3 weeks before the wedding, which i felt like was pretty poor. I never had a chance to "stop and enjoy the excitment of getting married" because we were still planning it up until the last minute.

Then the day we checked in, after being sent from person to person it became apparent that we didn’t have a booking, we were left waiting in the lobby with a 2 & 4 year old for well over an hour while staff tried to figure out what was going on. In the end “we were upgraded” to a different room to which we booked. As it was the first time my children would be spending away from home a lot of planning went into this, booking a room that had two beds close together was my main focus even giving up the honeymoon suite for the night, instead of the large room with two queen beds we were given a room with a double bed and a sofa bed in the lounge room. The stay with my children was a disaster, the first night there (the night before my wedding) my wife was up and down all night trying to first get the kids to sleep in a strange place in a separate room from their mum and then trying to settle them throughout the night before giving up in the early hours of the money and taking both kids into the double bed with her. Only to be awoken again at 4 am as the blinds in her room didn’t shut.
The following day was a little chaotic as you could imagine, someone came to clean our room that morning which included a poopy diaper from our youngest he said as it was very busy in the room he would come back we said ok, as the only bin you provided in that room was a tiny office like bin so we had gathered rubbish in a pile on our bench, when we returned after our ceremony no one had returned to clean our room and we had the joy of placing our cake next to the rubbish on the bench and smelling poop until the next morning. As much as my wife would be devastated for me to say but the whole day was a disaster and I can see it in her eyes it upsets her, it was pouring for most of the day (yes I know not your fault) but was told we would have up until an hour before to make the decision to do inside or outside, and yet 3.5 hours before the wedding we were put on the spot to make a decision we choose inside and yet by the time our wedding started the sun was out :(, the gift boxes weren’t placed in the correct spots making our guests go on a treasure hunt to find theirs although some people had already eaten their chocolates out of the box placed with their name card etc. etc. then unfortunately my wife received her “monthly”, being in a white dress she was stressing, I went to the front desk hoping to get any type of sanitary products but was told you didn’t have any (a huge gorgeous hotel with wedding after wedding and you don’t stock something so simple, even a coin dispenser machine in the bathrooms?) I was told the guest shop probably would have some but they were already shut. I had to return to my office to get my car keys and drive elsewhere to pick them up by now I had already had a few beers but was unsure what else I could do as my wife hovered around the bathroom and the wedding coordinator had already left. I returned about 20 minutes later only to see they had packed up most of the food without even consulting us, the only food we had left was the little bit of cold food we had served up before my wife realised her little lady problem.

The next morning we had room service breakfast as part of our package, we set out to enjoy our first day as a married couple only to return to our room at about 4/5pm and had to step over our dirty breakfast dishes to enter our room. We also had to call maintenance about the curtains not shutting and the toilet that ran all night, he mucked around for a few minutes which stopped the toilet running for a few hours until it was flushed again in which it begun again. At that time my wife broke down and just sat on the end of the bed and sobbed. The kids had to sleep on blankets on the floor as that was the only way we could all get some sleep.

So much planning went into our wedding, we wanted to stay somewhere that was child friendly, that we could have our own "honey moon" like holiday as we felt our children were to young to be left, and the whole thing was a complete disaster. We wrote to seaworld expressing our dissapointment and got a very cut and copy response with an offer if we come back next year we can get one night free, what a joke, needless to say we will not be going back, for what we thought could be a yearly holiday with our young children and reminisce about our gorgeous wedding day.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
11  Thank Sandy-Shaun

Dear Sandy-Shaun,
It is disappointing to see that you have shared your experience with Trip Advisor after discussing the occasion with us a few months ago. The wedding co-ordinator involved in your day replied to every email you both sent within 24 hours of receiving it with the information requested. In regards to the bedroom allocation as already explained the team upgraded you to a suite because it was your Wedding Night and they thought that you may want some time alone. We would have most certainly put up a rollaway bed for the children if we had known, it really wasn’t necessary for them to sleep on the floor without bringing this to our attention first. As also previously discussed we apologise sincerely for the shortcomings in the service you received as we never wish for our guests to leave our resort disappointed, particularly for their Wedding. As also offered was a return stay for your family by way of compensation which was by no means a ‘cut and paste’ and I did suggest you do this for your anniversary as you pointed out previously that you were considering returning on that date but as I see from your post you will not be taking us up on this offer.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

We stayed this time in April/May after the school holidays in the same room which had been recently refurbished. A premier double view room on the ground floor straight onto the pool. I like the wing off the main reception as its close to entering the park and all amenities.
Staff were great, speedy check in and out. We ordered room service many times and enjoyed unlimited in room movies on a special offer.
Great for kids, our package "Red hot deal" included unlimited entry into all 3 parks and 25% off food and Bev.
This was many of a return trip and we wouldn't stay anywhere else. Sad to leave as it was on.y for 3 nights.

Room Tip: Premier style with a pool view
1  Thank samanthajoanne1974
QT Gold Coast
#5 of 31 in Surfers Paradise
RACV Royal Pines Resort Gold Coast
Sheraton Grand Mirage Resort, Gold Coast

Been to Sea World Resort? Share your experiences!