“WOW!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The White Swan

The White Swan
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Fence
Cuisines: British, Pub
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The white swan at Fence is a traditional local pub that just happens to serve food, real ales & wines so fine that you will probably do a little dance of delight when you sample them. Backed by Timothy Taylors, fronted by team Turners with cellar queens Liv & Lou plus the boy wonder Tom Parker in the kitchen, we've got a veritable dream team going on. It will be love at first sight, smell & savour.
Burnley, United Kingdom
“WOW!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

We had read in the local paper that this local pub had a new chef and, passing one early evening and hungry, we popped in. We had been - just once - under previous management and wouldn't have been back after the mundane meal on that occasion. True there were only three choices on the board this time but they were all tempting. There was also nothing listed suitable for my vegetarian husband but the waitress assured us that anything could be adapted for him. Our meals came and they were ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS! The food was stylishly presented and quite one of the best meals either of has had for a long time - certainly locally - where other restaurants have consistently disappointed us! We had family visiting from the south this weekend and we had no qualms about making a reservation to take them to this place which we had discovered. I had venison - cooked to utter perfection - absolute 'melt in the mouth stuff'! Every one of us said we had thoroughly enjoyed our various meals and we went off home to make room for other diners. Contrary to other reviewers opinions, it is NOT expensive for the quality of the food and it is not a bad thing to have a limited menu. It is far better to have food fresh, cooked well than have umpteen containers in the fridge waiting for someone to want a Brewers Fayre menu - cooked by an inept chef! If you want that, go to the kind of place which can accommodate your needs, your taste buds and your purse. This is not your average pub grub - it is fine dining in a pokey little pub but it is well worth whatever is charged for it. If your preference is for egg and chips, there are plenty of these greasy spoon pubs and so called restaurants in this area to go to. If you find it too expensive, go to the plethera of cheapie places but don't slag off the only decent place we've discovered round here to enjoy fabulous food. I sometimes think Trip Advisor reviews say more about the moaners who review something than it does about the place they are reviewing - and I do sometimes wonder if they are competitors attempting to "diss" a place. I have absolutely no connection at all with the folk who have the White Swan but we will certainly be back to enjoy one of the three wonderful plates of food on offer on their board. (By the way, the wine was VERY good too - and not expensive by anyone's standards!)

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank EgyptophileEngland

Preston, United Kingdom
“food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

read some reports about this place but decided to go what a load of rubbish people write. the food at this resteraunt is Michelin standard I had an incredible day an now go every week this week soft shell crab salad what dish if you don't go and try you are missing the best place in the pendle area (alan and kath/

• Visited March 2014
Colne, United Kingdom
“Way too expensive.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

I went to the white swan for a family meal, and I had been told great things about it so I was really looking forward to eating there. I was extremely disappointed when I realised there was only three meals to choose from and each one sounded way too fancy, I was hoping they would do traditional homemade pub food, but now they have made it just like turners... Too expensive, too little portions and slow service. When my food arrived (45 minutes later) it was slightly cold, and the presentation was horrendous! I will definitely not be returning to the white swan and if anyone asks me if it is good food I will tell them exactly what I think.

• Visited April 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Barrowford
Preston, United Kingdom
“Expensive pub food.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

Called in for lunch whilst passing. Didn't know what to expect. Nice cosy pub with good selection Timothy Taylor ales. The menu was limited, no problem there, especially as they use fresh local produce in season. Friendly and helpful bar lady. The dining area was rather cramped which would be a problem in the evenings.
Our food came without too much delay, well presented but small portions even for a starter considering the price.
Delicious food well cooked and innovative. The chef is probably very talented.
Hope they do well but not sure about the balance between small pub, classy food and expensive prices. Will need the right clientele to keep it going and then they may loose out on the locals drinking.
I will return in 6 months to see - certainly enjoyed the food today.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Prudol
Manchester England
“Delicious”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

Wow - I wasn't expecting that! Its a little pub in a little village on a windy road. You would be forgiven if you expected standard pub grub. But you wouldn't be more wrong My husband says its the best meal he's out in years. Mine was quite simply mouth watering. A talented chef and friendly personal service. I'd recommend it and will be going again.

• Visited April 2014