“Good simple food, relaxed 'dining'”

Sizzler Mermaid Beach
Ranked #18 of 104 Restaurants in Mermaid Beach
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Sizzler is Sizzler, if you know what I mean. Have been going intermittently since I was young. It is a relaxed clean simple dining environment where you queue, order your meal with salad bar or standalone salad bar, & off you go. I'm not a parent at present but can obviously see that it is very family friendly. I do recommend the toasted cheese bread which they bring as a side to every table, so so yummy [I know it's probably designed as a filler to reduce your visits to the salad bar but I go in eyes & tummy open to the cheese bread experience]. The salad bar is obviously fresh, has good variety & as a vegetarian I can suffice with it especially as it includes a small 'hot bar' with pasta & potato options [pasta with alfredo or tomato & basil sauces, & potato bakes & potato skins]. There is also a refillable soft drinks bar, & small dessert bar. Overall it is good predictable food & what you see is what you get. Not being a food snob or a fine diner, I remain loyally devoted to Sizzler :)

Reviewed 24 January 2014

My wife has a thing about sizzler and every time we visit the Gold Coast we have to go, so I decided to get it out of the way with lunch on day one. My son had a burger and my wife, daughter and I had the salad bar. Reasonable service, value and food. Will go again next time we visit.

1  Thank aje71
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Advise getting their early as while we ate we could see the cue out the door. You can't book and they close quite early so be there as early as possible. We got there at 5.30 and waited about fifteen to twenty minutes while the one staff member processed the two groups in front of us.
All you caned at salad, pasta and dessert bar was great, though I didn't particularly like my chicken, but everyone's tastes are different.
Good family restaurant but not so much for couples wanting a night out together.

Reviewed 14 January 2014 via mobile

The queue went out the door but the restaurant was never more than half full. Only operating one register, second register used twice. Waited for more than 30 mins to get in. Value good if you don't upgrade to steaks and ribs. Food quality good.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

We paid a pretty hefty price to have Christmas Lunch at Sizzler this year (approx $85 per adult + 1 child) but I would have to say that it was fantastic from start to finish. We drove from Ballina to Mermaid Beach on the Gold Coast (our closest Sizzler), only took an hour & half. We were welcomed to our reserved table (everyone had reservations but we asked for a booth), to find lollies & bob-bons/Xmas crackers waiting for us. We cracked these open & placed the paper hats on our heads like every other family in there. We chose the mid-morning option & could have TWO HOURS to eat if we wanted too, no rush! Walked up to the buffet & saw never-ending prawns, oysters, chicken, ham, turkey, beef & stuffing, as well as the normal & different salads, pastas & spaghetti's etc. The food was constantly replenished & I did NOT see one person waiting for something to be refilled. Most guys (ha ha) just sat there eating plate after plate of prawns & oysters, you could have easily got your money's worth just doing that!

The deserts were so yummy, pavlova, sticky date pudding with cream & custard, mini chocolate eclairs, as well as the usual soft-serve ice cream, smarties, sprinkles etc. Each child was given a gift by the visiting Santa with another bag of Snake lollies to take home! Even asked if we could have the Cheesy Toast (which wasn't on the menu that day) which was quickly cooked for us & a few others with no problem at all. Definitely a lovely Xmas day meal for a small or large family gathering. A+

6  Thank AndyL536