“Turtle Not So Close to Beach Resort”

Turtle Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Mermaid Beach
Melbourne, Australia
“Turtle Not So Close to Beach Resort”
Reviewed 18 November 2011

Ok, just so everyone's clear - the resort is not across the road from the beach. It's on the Gold Coast Highway and the beach can be accessed by crossing the highway by some traffic lights up the road and then walking a small block. This wasn't a problem for me but I don't think it's very clear in the way the resort is advertised.The walk's not huge but it might be an issue if you were travelling with very little people and were toting beach bags and things.
Good Points
* The gardens are green, plantings chosen well and are well maintained.
* The overall look of the resort externally is good - I didn't see anything falling apart or rubbish lying around etc.
* The gates are secured by card, so people with small children aren't constantly worried about them escaping out of gates/fencing.
* I would like to mention a very nice steak sandwich I had on my last night - which was made by a chef (I spied him in his chef's gear) - I hadn't seen a chef about at other times. Thanks :)
*Noise is controlled well, we didn't have any problems with night owls.
Bad Points
*Our apartment was basically clean but dining and coffee table surfaces did have a sticky, 'not cleaned properly' feeling to them - the sort of thing that happens when 'lazy' cleaning is applied. There was a toothbrush poking out of one of the lounge chairs when we arrived!!
*My partner complained several times about the banging of the pool gate near our room - perhaps some rubber or something could be applied so it doesn't 'bang' every time someone leaves loudly!

Opportunities for Improvement
*I think both dining areas could benefit from some improvement. For example, if staff at each area wore aprons/uniforms suited to hospitality service they would look more professional, tidy and 'clean' - particularly in the Cafe.
*A wider selection of toast could be offered. For example, if you order scrambled eggs and toast it will be thickly sliced white bread. A choice of grainy bread would be very welcome.
*Some more quality salads would be valued by the more health conscious - I don't mind paying a main meal price (or almost) for a good quality salad. I wasn't at all taken with the Caesar Salad at the Pizzeria - basically a lot of lettuce and caesar salad mix.

Overall, if you are travelling with children and would like to have the opportunity to 'stay put', eat basic meals on site and relax while your kids have fun this resort is fine. There are lots of pools and playground corners for kids. I swam in the pool and thought it was lovely - I think the comments about the pools being substandard might be a bit old now. They have recently started a 'kids club' and my 5-year-old daughter attended this three times and was well looked after and obviously had had a great time. There's also a kids cinema but I can't comment as we didn't attend.

If you are into fine dining and pristine surroundings you had best look elsewhere but I guess that's not the target market here anyway.

Room Tip: Rooms near the pizzeria seemed to be the 'noisy' rooms during our stay. There are stairs onl...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
EGMTBR, Owner at Turtle Beach Resort, responded to this review, 23 November 2011
Hi Megan
Some very constructive comments within.
On the point of location - we do not promote ourselves as a beachside Resort, however if you have a look at the Google Earth map on our site, our location is very clear.
We have a pedestrian crossing to the left of the Resort at the lights and then you can actually see the beach down the side street.
I am glad the kids enjoyed the new Club Turtle - Kids Activity Centre, it has taken off like wildfire!
There are some special packages being released that includes sessions for kids, inclusive.

See you next time.

Stephen West

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Auckland
Reviewed 14 November 2011

We stayed in this resort for 9 nights. Perfect setting with the pool right at the bottom of our room stairs. My children aged 11 and 12 loved being able to go down the stairs to the pool each morning.
The onsite woodfire pizza restaurant was fantastic and we ate there 4 nights, Pizza's were great tasting and good value for money.
Rainforest cafe provideda good breakfast and coffee. We also ate there one night and could not fault the food or service.

Downside - The staff at the front desk were not helpful and most times were down right rude. They took no care of our bags when we arrived and after telling us they would be locked away, we returned after a 5 hour shopping trip to find them still sitting outside unattended.

Overall it was a fantastic resort for a family to relax and enjoy all the facilities and we would return to Turtle Beach again.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Thank you for your very positive comments.
Anyone arriving early can have their luggage placed forward of the reception desk in an area that we cable lock the bags together. We do not have a seperate room (nor do we advise that we do) given we may have up to 20 parties arriving prior to check in time.
A great concept we have here too is after locking up the bags you can use the pools and restaurants until your room is ready.

See you on your next trip for one of those great pizzas.

Ballarat, Australia
Reviewed 14 November 2011

My wife, two children aged 6 and 3 and myself spent 10 nights at the Turtle Beach Resort
In October 2011.

We were lucky to be upgraded to a executive apartment with a pool at the bottom of our stairwell.
The kids loved the pools and wildfire pizza restaurant, whilst the the Forrest cafe was great value for breakfast and dinner with quick service and Excellent food.
The playgrounds and cinema within the complex was great for entertaining the kids.
Our only trouble was there were no lifts, which meant lugging bags from the basement to the third floor difficult.
The pillows were week worn and could do with replacing.
The beach was a good walk away but worth the effort when you get there.
We would definitely return.
We

1 Thank Phil D
I am glad to hear your stay was great and you enjoyed all of the facilities.
Yes we do not have elevators given we are a three storey building (the ground floor being level One then Mid then Upper)
For anyone who has a mobility problem and needs a hand with your bags - just let us know. The same with pillows - we have a mountain of them!

See you on your next visit to the Gold Coast

Invercargill, New Zealand
Reviewed 11 November 2011

After watching this site in anticipation of our holiday, I finally get to add my own comments, and will elaborate on some of the comments previously made too.

We stayed in Room 245, a carpeted ground floor apartment, in the north part of resort, near the adult pool. It was away from the more active lagoon area, so was very quiet, but still handy to the pizza place, convenience store etc. The room was a little dark, but not unpleasant. The sun rises at 5.30am so you don't want too much light! There were fans in the bedrooms and an aircon unit in the main living area.

Our room had very minor wear and tear, nothing that detracted from our stay, our room certainly didn't look shabby. I was impressed with the cleanliness - I always look for stray hairs in the bathroom and there were none. Our bathroom had an extraction fan, and yes there was a toilet brush plus spare rolls of toilet paper. I found the water pressure in the showers great!

We loved that our room had facilities like home - washing machine, dryer, dishwasher, cooktop and oven, toaster, family size fridge and hairdryer. It was great to have our creature comforts!

Noise - as I have said the lagoon on the north side was quite active (the one near the pizza place). We were staying near the adult pool, so less noise there. The rooms are double glazed, so shut the door and no noise - none! Many of the families are on kiwi time (3 hrs early) or Melbourne time (1 hr early) - so many of the kids are up early, but tucked up in bed early too.

The BBQ facility for our area was out in front of our room, and it was nice to smell steak cooking occasionally. From what I saw, people used this and moved on after an hour or so. Ours was BBQ facility No 9, so I'm guessing there are at least that many to choose from!

There was absolutely no noise from the highway - was worried about this as we are used to country living, but we all had a great sleep every night. The beds were firm but very comfortable.

The pools - were wonderful with pools of varying depths with surrounding tropical gardens. Loved the warm spa pools when the sun went down. The main lagoon spa can get a bit full, but the adult's only one was often empty. I note someone commented earlier about the slippery tiles - yes they were quite slippery. I walked carefully on them but still found them slippery. Perhaps the resort could consider non-slip tiles if they are doing a refit in future? Not a complaint. I'm wondering if the pool opening time could be adjusted? It opens at 7.30am, but since many of the families are on kiwi-time this feels like 10.30am. By 6.30am the sun has already been up for an hour and it is already twice as hot as NZ, so we were chomping at the bit to get in the pool!

The highway - yes be prepared for a 5-10 minute walk to cross the road. There is a grill fence down the middle to stop people just running across the busy highway where they feel like it. The reward on the other side is a fruit mart, a Subway, another convenience store, a soon to be opened Souvlaki store, and of course the beach a short walk further along. On the resort side of the road there are many restaurants - Chinese, Italian - you name it. A 10 min walk north was Curry Munchers - our most memorable and reasonable meal - delish!

Woodfired pizza - we got this on our first night, it being my birthday and also being too tired to go looking outside the resort. I rang the kitchen to place my order, but was placed on hold for over five minutes. I don't know if they forgot about me, but I eventually placed my order in person. Was told a 15 min wait, but took half an hour. There were three people working in the kitchen, and one was trying to contend with drink orders as well. I found the pizza a bit so-so, not as high quality as the facilities of the rest of the resort, which were outstanding.

We didn't use Club Turtle as our daughter is only 2. Their age group is 5-12 yrs. It costs $25 a session (approx three hours). If my daughter was the right age, I'd probably use it as a oncer so hubby and I could get a romantic dinner for two, but we probably couldn't afford to use it often.

Location - the resort is located out of the hubbub of Surfers Paradise absolute - this was the main attraction for us - knowing we were in a reasonably quiet area away from construction zones and nightclubs, but that we could easily bus into town. The bus stop is right outside the resort and TX1 and TX2 take you to Dreamworld/Wet&Wild/Movieworld. I was a little surprised at the bus fares, so would recommend one of the 3, 5 or 7 day all inclusive passes that cover airport and theme park transfers as well as local commuting.

We didn't use the resort cinema, putt putt golf, tennis, gym or cafe so can't comment on those. We were thoroughly enamoured with Dreamworld and journeying all over the Gold Coast, then coming home to the pool in the evening for relaxation, so that was plenty enough for us. We enjoyed our family holiday so much that I have to admit a few tears were shed on the way home!

Room Tip: Try to get a ground floor apartment, north side near the adult pool - very quiet, but handy to every...
2 Thank SarahMM293
Hamilton, Waikato, New Zealand
Reviewed 22 October 2011

We stayed for a week in this great resort, and we had a fun time. Took full advantage of the pools, tennis courts, mini golf, cinema and had a meal at the pizza parlour. Perfect for children-our boys were 6 and 9 but older or younger children would also enjoy it. The rooms are well set up with plenty of space, lovely and clean and all the crockery, pots and pans etc you would need. We were right by the pizza parlour and pool which was convenient but probably not the quietest room, however everything quietens down around 9pm. Lots of families up and about early (especially Kiwis still adjusting to the time zone). Would definitely recommend. Easy enough to get to theme parks and other locations but not right in the glitzy part of the Gold Coast, a more relaxed location.

Hi Sally
I am glad the kids had a great time and on your next visit they will just love the new Club Turtle.
We have now opened the Rainforest Cafe earler as we have noticed many Kiwis up and about early!
With thanks
Pukekohe East, Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 18 October 2011

We have just got back from Sands Turtle beach. What a disappointment . As soon as we walked into our room we could smell stale urine. The room was dirty we found old toe nail clippings on the floor & dust around the showers & moldy curtains. I never wanted to sit on the furniture & on our 2nd to last night my 12 year old son found that his bed had a urine stained smelly under blanket. That was the final straw. We checked out a day & a half early. We were not even offered a refund for our time cut short just told sorry & we can get someone to clean it for you. As I explained you could smell it as soon as you walked in & that the cleaners as just lazy. Never again. Pity as the pizzeria is to die for & great pools

Room Tip: As for a clean room
1 Thank Jo P
Jo
Thanks for taking the time to write to us after your stay.
No business can ever get it 100% right and given the more than positive reports we normally receive I find it difficult to understand why this wasn't reported and actioned whilst you were here so we could view the issues and take affirmative action.
We certainly would have moved your family to another apartment had these issues been confirmed by us.
Please respond directly should you wish as I am more than willing to discuss specifics.
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 18 October 2011

We just got back from our week at Turtle beach and were really impressed. Had read reviews about having to be on ground floor but we were on third and had no issues despite having a 2 and 5 year old. The facilities were excellent in our apartment (149) and even though we were on road side there was no noise as it was double glazed. Pools were lovely and the barbeque facilities were brilliant. Didn't think much of the pizzas which were too like pizza hut style for us but that's down to personal taste. Rainforest Cafe is great and kids eat free on Tuesday and Thursday between 5 and 7.

Overall we couldn't fault the place and have recommended it to people already and will certainly be back.

• Stayed October 2011
Hi to the Langers!
Even though our location is highway-side, we have little road noise issue due to the construction of the building.
Glad your time was 'awesome' look for some ""big additions""to our facilities in the New Year!.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mermaid Beach
#2 of 5 in Main Beach
Paradise Resort Gold Coast
Paradise Resort Gold Coast
#14 of 32 in Surfers Paradise

Been to Turtle Beach Resort? Share your experiences!