Ok, just so everyone's clear - the resort is not across the road from the beach. It's on the Gold Coast Highway and the beach can be accessed by crossing the highway by some traffic lights up the road and then walking a small block. This wasn't a problem for me but I don't think it's very clear in the way the resort is advertised.The walk's not huge but it might be an issue if you were travelling with very little people and were toting beach bags and things.
* The gardens are green, plantings chosen well and are well maintained.
* The overall look of the resort externally is good - I didn't see anything falling apart or rubbish lying around etc.
* The gates are secured by card, so people with small children aren't constantly worried about them escaping out of gates/fencing.
* I would like to mention a very nice steak sandwich I had on my last night - which was made by a chef (I spied him in his chef's gear) - I hadn't seen a chef about at other times. Thanks :)
*Noise is controlled well, we didn't have any problems with night owls.
*Our apartment was basically clean but dining and coffee table surfaces did have a sticky, 'not cleaned properly' feeling to them - the sort of thing that happens when 'lazy' cleaning is applied. There was a toothbrush poking out of one of the lounge chairs when we arrived!!
*My partner complained several times about the banging of the pool gate near our room - perhaps some rubber or something could be applied so it doesn't 'bang' every time someone leaves loudly!
Opportunities for Improvement
*I think both dining areas could benefit from some improvement. For example, if staff at each area wore aprons/uniforms suited to hospitality service they would look more professional, tidy and 'clean' - particularly in the Cafe.
*A wider selection of toast could be offered. For example, if you order scrambled eggs and toast it will be thickly sliced white bread. A choice of grainy bread would be very welcome.
*Some more quality salads would be valued by the more health conscious - I don't mind paying a main meal price (or almost) for a good quality salad. I wasn't at all taken with the Caesar Salad at the Pizzeria - basically a lot of lettuce and caesar salad mix.
Overall, if you are travelling with children and would like to have the opportunity to 'stay put', eat basic meals on site and relax while your kids have fun this resort is fine. There are lots of pools and playground corners for kids. I swam in the pool and thought it was lovely - I think the comments about the pools being substandard might be a bit old now. They have recently started a 'kids club' and my 5-year-old daughter attended this three times and was well looked after and obviously had had a great time. There's also a kids cinema but I can't comment as we didn't attend.
If you are into fine dining and pristine surroundings you had best look elsewhere but I guess that's not the target market here anyway.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Turtle Beach Resort provides premier family accommodation set in a sub-tropical oasis just 300 metres to the beach. Truly a relaxing holiday home, the resort offers spacious one, two and three bedroom fully self contained apartments in a 3 storey walk up complex (please note we do not have lifts on site). Facilities include flat screen televisions and complimentary Foxtel channels. All apartments have balconies and terraces that overlook tropical greenery and manicured gardens. Take advantage of the extensive recreational facilities including 4 separate swimming areas with a mix of lagoon and lap swimming pools, waterslide, spa's, adults only pool and spa, Putt'n Around* our 15 hole themed putt-putt course, children's playground, 2 saunas, floodlit tennis court*, fitness room, games room*, 8 BBQ areas and FREE WiFi access. For those who prefer a slower pace, soak up the relaxed poolside atmosphere or send the kids to the cinema theatrette. Enjoy a woodfired pizza at our onsite restaurant 'The Deck' or pick up supplies at our onsite convenience store 'Fresh' which features a wide range of grocery items and an internet cafe. Turtle Beach Resort has designed a holiday program especially for the kids, packed with lots of fun activities to compliment our facilities. Club Turtle* is for kids aged four to twelve inclusive where they can choose to sit in and watch or join in the pre-arranged activities including creative art and craft sessions, big screen Wii interactive games, an Xbox only designated room for the game players, as well as party theme nights with Disco and Movies screenings. Our Exciting water playground 'Splash Zone" features 4 water slides, 2 toddler slides, dumping bucket, water cannons and lots more. Book for your family and friends..They will love you for it! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Turtle Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Turtle Beach Hotel Mermaid Beach
- Sands Turtle Beach Hotel
- Sands Turtle Beach Mermaid
- Turtle Beach Resort Gold Coast
- Turtle Beach Resort Mermaid Beach, Australia - Gold Coast