“You charge extra for air conditioning?”

Princess Palm On The Beach Apartments Gold Coast
Melbourne, Australia
“You charge extra for air conditioning?”
Reviewed 8 November 2013

We had been in the vicinity last year and often gazed at the place. It was so on-the-beach, so nice looking, so, 'nice'.

But it wasn't, really. The room on level 12 was clean but tired; tired from being used like a hotel room, with tired fittings and tired furniture. We were tired, perhaps by osmosis.

The view is superb. It gets quite warm in the afternoon so we tried the air conditioning - all those little plastic wall holders were empty. Downstairs we discovered that air conditioning was extra. Extra? In a modern, self-contained apartment? Extra for what? I pointed out that it was now 2013 but this only embedded resentment in the mind of the resident keeper of the a/c controls.

The two balconies gave onto beautiful views but, as with the main bedroom window, had recently, it seemed been completely replaced. Throwing open the curtains in the morning gave you a view of raw, unpainted concrete and large metal plates on the ceiling. Same for the balcony itself: lots of missing tile bits where the new / revised balcony had been erected without patching up the remains of the previous structure.

Perhaps I was being unkind, but the work looked so recent, so hurried so unfinished. Maybe this section had been hit by an RPG round from some seaborne pirate vessel a week before. Maybe the builders just got tired. We were, Sick and tired and glad to get back to the airport.

Room Tip: Best seen from the outside.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
princesspalm969, Manager at Princess Palm On The Beach Apartments Gold Coast, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Thankyou for your review, please note that all advertising, last minutes sites and our own site all advertise airconditioning as a s/c (surcharge). As airconditioning is not standard practice in some Gold Coast resorts including ours, it is advertised as a surcharge. No resentment for advertsing the fact, its my staffs job to charge this surcharge on behalf of the owners.
With the work on the balconies and the metal plate, we have just recently replaced all our balconies with glass and the repairs are on going to get them back to repair. The metal plate you refer to is an insurance job which the insurance company has been very slow to fix, totally out of the hands of the management. We would have hoped that you would of enjoyed your holiday despite these small issues. All apartments are individually owned and decorated by the owner not management.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Reviewed 5 November 2013

My family and I had booked the place next door months in advance and were under the impression that our room was tidy and presentable. We had stayed there before and new there was some nice roomskj. Upon arrival the room was disgraceful and we decided to call the Princess Palms to see if there was availability. This was on the weekend of the Gold Coast 600 so with not a lot of hope in mind, by the time I had finished my argument with management of the cruddy place we had been advised that the Princess Palms had 2 rooms available and we were welcome to check them out. Both apartments were very well presented and clean. We decided to take the ground unit. After what my family had gone through, the staff of the Princess Palms was very understanding of this and how upset we were. Over the 10 night stay we enjoyed the resorts Tennis Court and Mini Golf Course as well as the Pool, BBQ and Spa area. These areas were well presented and maintained. The Staff from Management to Maintenance were all friendly and were exceedingly helpful and strived to make all holiday makers time there enjoyable. My family and I look forward to returning to the Princess Palms and to see the Staff once again. In short: Great value, Great service, Well presented and in a quiet location.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed 8 September 2013

We have just returned from a 4 night stay at this resort for our wedding anniversary. The whole booking experience was made very easy by the wonderful staff. Even when I rang and changed the booking a couple of days before we arrived. The unit was very clean, and modern, very comfortable. Great area to stay for couples, families with little children can take advantage of the fantastic play area close by. We will definitely be back. Thank you for a great time.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Julie G
Sydney
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I booked a stay directly with Princess Palm, about a day before I was due to arrive. Confirmation email came promptly with necessary details. I asked for, and was provided with a 2 bedroom apartment up high - level 14 of 16. Wonderful views over the ocean, high enough to get away from the noises of the park/pool/tennis courts etc. Just the sound of the waves crashing - which is something I personally love to hear! The apartment was a mix of some lovely new things (lounges, coffee tables, lamps, bathrooms/laundry, Foxtel and tv), and some older things (quilt covers, carpet, art works, dining table). I was happy with what I paid for, and what I got for my $, but it was a slightly odd mix decor wise. Also had aircon unit, which I think in summer could be worth the $5 surcharge to use it (there are also ceiling fans).

The apartments come with a few tea bags, instant coffee and long life milks, loo roll and a sachet of dish washing liquids/powder. That is it. Which is different from a number of other holiday apartments/houses I've stayed at recently - which have had a few more communal things (condiments, cloth to wipe down benches etc). If you were a family/group staying a week or more, no problems, you'd just grab all the essentials. I was travelling solo, so it was going to mean heavy shopping bags to carry back, so I just altered my menus a bit.

Front desk staff were pleasant and helpful, the grounds were lovely. Tennis court, pool & spa, a playground and a few bbq's and outdoor seating.

The sauna looked good, but as I hadn't booked in before reception closed at noon on Sunday to get the key I missed out. There was a rec room, with a book swap, table tennis, and a few arcade machines & a pin ball machine also. I didn't get to check out the gym, it too required a key to access it.

Location was great - just next door is a great big park and the Pirate Ship playground for younger kids, and a sheltered inlet to swim, kayak, s.u.p in etc. Waves were breaking off the point for the surfers/suppers to enjoy.

Nearest supermarkets were within 10 minute easy/flat walk, as were a bunch of takeaway places / cafes.

Would I return - absolutely!

(PS - for you coffee fiends, Barefoot Barista on Palm Beach Drive near cnr of Gold Coast Highway is perfect. Worth it for those used to quality coffee.)

Room Tip: I stayed up high - level 14, great views and far less noise from the tennis courts, people playing i...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank sarahlocks
princesspalm969, Manager at Princess Palm On The Beach Apartments Gold Coast, responded to this review, 22 August 2013
Thankyou for your detailed review Sarah, so glad you enjoyed your stay
Melbourne
Reviewed 23 May 2013

Our family of 5 stayed for 4 nights and loved it! Excellent location right on the beach, within walking distance to great parks, shops, cafes/restaurants, Currumbin Sanctuary and not far to airport too. Modern, clean apartment with everything we needed. Beautiful views of beach and coastline right up to Surfers Paradise. Friendly and helpful service from all the staff. Great value too. Having stayed at a number of places on the Gold Coast, I highly recommend Princess Palm for a relaxing family holiday!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Jessica P
Thankyou Jessica for your review, it is a lovely part of the world
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 27 January 2013

Stayed on the 13th floor, our apartment had A/C unit for extra cost, very nice beach view, also view of Surfers Paradise. Resonable size. Heated pool is a bonus. Tennis court is available. The Pines shopping centre is few minutes driving distance. Palm Beach shopping centre is walking distance. Easy access to Goldcoast Motorway through Palm Beach Avenue. Some take away restaurants are close by. Will not be able to make right turn into Goldcoast highway, however can make a left turn and in 100 m at the light can make a U turn. Overall a good a place to stay. Only one complain that is we paid $185 for family of 4. Would like to stay again next time if price is lower specially when there are lot of cheaper places where we can stay. Often we try and stay around Coolangatta or closer, than Surfers Paradise as apartments are cheaper and bigger closer to Coolangatta or Palm Beach.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank pb65
Thankyou for your review, so glad your enjoyed your stay. January is peak season, therefore the tarriff is higher.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 30 December 2012

We have been coming to Princess Palms for 9 years and couldn't have holidayed in better apartments
Apart from it being right on the beach, no roads to cross, it is clean and tidy,the kitchens have everything amd more.
The views are wonderful, I could just sit and stare all day.
The managers and staff are some of the best I have met in years.They are caring, always helpful and after reading other reviews, I can only agree totally with them.
After 9 nine years is a long time, they must be doing it right if we keep go there.
As soon as we open the door I relax immediately

Room Tip: Make sure that there is a fan because it can rather hot
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Always a pleasure having you visit Denise, see you again
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palm Beach
#4 of 13 in Palm Beach
Sanctuary Lake Apartments
Sanctuary Lake Apartments
#1 of 1 in Currumbin

Been to Princess Palm On The Beach Apartments Gold Coast? Share your experiences!