“Starting to feel a little old”

InterContinental Sanctuary Cove Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Hope Island
Sydney, Australia
“Starting to feel a little old”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

Our third or fourth stay here and it's starting to feel a little old - so much so we nicknamed it the Incontinence ;-)

Having said that, great rooms, great service, great location, and we'll come back again. We're here for the Boat Show and it's been another great stay.

The only hiccup we had was an overly exuberant housekeeping that at 9-30 am on the Sunday morning we were due to check out at midday, knocked on the door and walked straight in, with my wife and I still in bed... Make sure you hang the Do Not Disturb sign on the door every single night and it should be fine.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Monique H, General Manager at InterContinental Sanctuary Cove Resort, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Dear Mark T,

Thanks so much for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us.

I am glad to read that overall you had an enjoyable visit. Please accept my sincerest apology for the incident with Housekeeping on Sunday morning. Our Executive Housekeeper will follow up on this with the team member in question.

We hope to have the chance to welcome you back next year for the Boat Show!

Monique

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

This hotel recently changed to Intercontinental from Hyatt management. I have stayed here for many years and love the grounds, the huge pool with its own beach and the great restaurant.
The marina village on one side of grounds is a great place for breakfast and beachwear shopping.
However, on my last stay I booked several months ahead because there was a boat show at the adjacent marina. I booked at $399/room night. I was surprised when I checked the rate on my day of arrival and found that tit had dropped to $249/room night. I arrived at the hotel just after 4 pm and asked about the rate. I was told that the cancellation period closed 12 hours before check in time and that I couldn't cancel without paying $399. I checked in and called the duty manager. He told me that the cancellation time was 4 pm and that as it was, by that time, 5.15 pm. He couldn't do anything about it.
The IHG Group advertise on their website "Lowest Rates Guaranteed" however they should highlight the disclaimer in small print which limits the guarantee to 24 hours.

Room Tip: Always ask for a Marina or Pool view room. Try the great cooking at the Restaurant. Do visit the Ma...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Jeremy L
Dear Jeremy L,

Thanks for taking the time to post a review following your stay with us last weekend.

As per our private correspondence, I do apologise for the confusion you experienced with our rates. As advised, the information provided to you by the team was correct. Information on the IHG Lowest Price Guarantee can be found on our website - www.ihg.com.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Kindest regards,
Christchurch
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

We have stayed here before when it was the Hyatt Regency and it is just as good now as it always was. The service is absolutely fantastic, breakfast is amazing and the facilities are great. Staff helped our son to find the wild kangaroos which live on the property and could not have been nicer or more professional.

Our only niggle is the pool. It looks fantastic and is warm and clean but the chemicals affected our eyes badly. My husband had blurred vision for 12 hours or so after swimming. It may be necessary to check the chemical balance in this pool.

Spa facilities attached to hotels are usually exceedingly expensive but this one is great. For just $120 I had a 60 minute massage, hair treatment and style.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear Louise01Christchurch,

What a delight to read your fabulous review. I am so pleased that yourself and your family enjoyed your visit with us.

''Our'' kangaroo's are certainly a must-see. I am thrilled the team was able to assist you in finding them!

We hope to have the chance to welcome you back again soon.

Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

we had a company conference here - very professional staff but lack the warmth I have encountered in Asia at hotels. Shared a twin room with a colleague - good size king singles which are almost a double bed size. food supplied to the company dinner was 5 star quality, they have gym access but you need to go to the golf course to access, they will drop you off and pick you up if you want or you can walk back. Great facilities- outdoor spa pool , swimming pool and lagoon pool. could do with a few more signs to assist people from getting lost as the resort is spread over a very large area. bathrooms are nice with a bath and a separate shower but the shower is a little small and I'm not a big person. the toilet is in the same bathroom so if your not on good terms with the other person then you will have to wait. request a first floor room to enjoy the views and they are more private with a balcony.
this resort is starting to age somewhat- I think it was built in the 80's and here and there, there are signs of wear. the grounds are beautiful and there were kangaroos on the grounds to see.
this would have been a great 5 star resort in it's day but I think this would be more like 4 star on todays scale
An enjoyable place to stay - can't comment on the prices and value for money as the Company pre-paid everything...
I also did not use the onsite spa but heard good reports from others who did

Room Tip: Request a first floor room to enjoy the views and they are more private with a balcony.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Fernandez1960,

Thank you for your detailed review following your recent stay with us for your company conference.

It is great to read that you enjoyed our lovely grounds and facilities, the food served throughout your conference and the service provided by my team.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

My husband and I recently enjoyed 4 days here, having been previously and finding it a relaxing, lovely environment which we wanted, being a change from the bustle of a city stay.
The staff were friendly and helpful; from reception, to the concierge, bar staff and buggy drivers.
Our room, whilst a little dated, provided almost all we required; the only item we would have found useful was a luggage rack for our second suitcase. The bed was very comfortable and our room had a quiet, attractive outlook through the trees over the waterway. Whilst rooms in this Alexandra wing are a few minutes walk (or buggy ride) away from the main hotel building, they are quiet, whereas the rooms overlooking the marina and village would naturally not be so peaceful, with boats leaving early and general marina activity.
We enjoyed morning swims in the heated pool and spa and whilst the lagoon looked inviting, it was a little cool for this time of year.
There are a number of cafes and restaurants close by in the village, along with upmarket shopping.
In summary, this hotel is suited to couples and people who enjoy the tranquillity of such an environment and we will definitely return.
Our thanks to all concerned with a most enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: As noted in review, rooms overlooking the marina are not as quiet as those in other wings, due to ea...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Parmelian,

I am so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

I have passed your comments onto my team and we all look forward to the pleasure of your return visit.

Kindest regards,
Labrador, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

We were lucky enough to have our wedding here on 05 April. From the moment I checked in the night before, the check in procedure was fast and simple, the staff are warm and friendly. Our suite was spotless, spacious and very comfortable. The breakfast selection was one of the best I have come across, all fresh and displayed beautifully. The staff again in the cafe were friendly, warm and most helpful. Most of our wedding guests stayed over the weekend also, many from interstate and they all were very impressed with the hotel.

Our wedding was 6 star, everything that I had hoped it would be, Kim the Wedding Planner was top class and nothing was too much trouble, the setting was beautiful, the food was sensational. My friends stated it was the best wedding they had been to, thanks to the wonderful staff at the InterContinental, they make all your dreams come true!

Sue Lyon

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sue W
Monique H, General Manager at InterContinental Sanctuary Cove Resort, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Dear Sue W,

Myself and the team are thrilled that your special day was everything you hoped it was going to be!

Thank you for acknowledging Kim. She is a wonderful wedding planner and highly respected member of our team and was delighted to read your comments.

Wishing you both a lifetime of happiness together!

Amaroo, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

This is reported as being a five star hotel but I wonder. There were, of course, some good bits: the grounds are excellent, the receptionist was efficient and effective, the trip to the room was speedily achieved by a small golf-buggy. But, why were we put into a room so far away that it required a drive? When we visited there were vast swathes of rooms unoccupied. The hotel was really quiet and the majority of residents were of an age so that it resembled a retirement village rather than a hotel. The bed wasn't to our liking and we didn't have a good night's sleep. Coupled with this was the noise from the Marina (6.00am start) and the gardeners leaf blowing (8.30am) meant that we left tired and in need of another day's rest. The breakfast was good, although there were more staff (mainly trainees) than residents. We were going to have a swim but neither the main pool nor the "hot"-tub were heated sufficiently and we were interrupted by trainees in packs walking past visiting the grounds. The check-out was speedy but again completed by a trainee. So, overall, a retirement village or a training camp but not sure it was a 5-star hotel.

Room Tip: Get a room close to the hotel/pool and away from the Marina which can be noisy
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Dom_Upton,

Thanks for taking the time to review us following your recent stay. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the grounds and breakfast. Please accept my sincerest apology that your sleep quality did not meet expectation.

Wishing you safe future travels.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hope Island
#6 of 32 in Surfers Paradise
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,149 reviews
Meriton Serviced Apartments - Broadbeach
Sheraton Grand Mirage Resort, Gold Coast

Been to InterContinental Sanctuary Cove Resort? Share your experiences!