“Rude arrogant owner - great food”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Malay Kitchen - CLOSED

Malay Kitchen
Cuisines: Malaysian, Chinese, Asian
Dining options: Lunch, Delivery, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Rude arrogant owner - great food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

Hard to give a rating as the meal was superb but the attitude of the owner was appalling. My wife and I were shocked with how we were treated by the owner lady. She seemed pissed off that we chose to enter the restaurant. Her attitude was noticeably different towards what appeared to be her regulars. We assumed all sorts of things including our casual dress, our mixed Kiwi/Chinese marriage ... but having read these other reviews we can now see it is her general attitude i.e. bloody disgraceful.

Having said that the young woman was very pleasant and polite and we allowed her quite willingly to take over our table as the older woman had taken off to chat with other tables. The meal was really very good. There is a better place (Chinese) just up the road and round the corner on the main drag. Food is very good and the owners are what you'd expect from a Chinese restaurant - modest, pleasant and welcoming.

• Visited October 2013

Gold Coast
“Nice clean tidy restaurant with awesome food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2013

Fantastic Malaysian food. I ordered Assam laksa and the chef came out to make sure I knew what I was going to be served as it had a strong seafood fragrance. He could have just dished up and not cared so this impressed me. I also ordered butter prawns to take away and he again came out to me and suggested this was not a good choice for takeaway as it was a dish better served fresh in the restaurant, being deep fried and crispy. I ordered this next time I went there and fully understood his reasoning, it was delicious. Staff have been very helpful with explanation on meal choices and service impeccable. Have recommended this restaurant to friends who have frequented this restaurant with the same enthusiasm as us. Excellent value for money, great food and generous portions.

• Visited August 2013
Surfers Paradise, Australia
“Great experience!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2013

We went on a Thursday night and wasn't particularly busy. Service was faultless and friendly. The menu is extensive and really wanted to try everything. Food was absolutely glorious and with quite large servings got to take some home. This restaurant is BYO which we didn't know, but all up very good.
We have been getting takeaway from here for the last 2 years and have enjoyed every meal. Always made quickly and served hot.

4 stars only because its not a licenced restaurant.

• Visited August 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Worst Restaurant on the coast”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2013

Extremely rude owner lady. Average food. Old building and dingy inside. I ordered Asian vegetables and got carrots and corn - ver bad. Would not go again.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank JulesnGrant
gold coast
“Best on the coast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2013

Malay Kitchen is a family run restaurant and I would have to say the best on the Gold coast , the restaurant itself is very simple in decor but you don't come here for that this place is about the food and it cannot be faulted , there are too many favourites to mention but I'm sure you will find your own , the owners are extremely friendly and a lot of fun , this is the only asian restaurant that i would eat at on the coast so do yourself a favour and try Malay kitchen .

• Visited April 2013