Beef Island Guest House
  • Restaurant
Guana Island(Guana Island)
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 December 2011

I stayed here for the other night for similar reasons as others- proximity to airport. And its the only gig in the area. I am a charter captain and have stayed in many hotels in the Caribbean and especially in Tortola, mostly in Road Town. I read all the negative reports listed here. Most are telling the truth. Kim was curt, quick to take my 150$, showed me the room and then announced the bar and kitchen were closed. And then she was gone. OK, I will pay for proximity. And i know Trellis Bay well. Its a bohemian area and the no see'ems are ubiquitous. But what really bugs me, all pun intended, are no see'ems in my bed!! i gotta sleep! Within an hour I felt little nips at my skin. They were not bedbugs because I checked. Ive had attacks of no see'ems in bed before at other places in the Carib. I moved to the sofa outside in the main area and managed to sleep till about 5am. I dont care about roosters crowing or the cockroaches. Thats part of the gig of the Carib. I dont care about fancy anything for that matter. But I did pay full price. And thats the rub. You would be better off taking a taxi into Road Town and staying at Marias by the Sea or Fort Burt Hotel for less money and use the difference for taxi fare. What I would suggest, if management cares, is to wash the bed lines after the guests leave, vacuum more frequently, perhaps bug bomb the place every so often and perhaps take a course in smiling and sticking around for a little bit. But if you drink enough at the Last Resort Rest and can manage to pass out, you could make it through the nite and not care. Just sleep with your clothes on so they wont get to ya!! Capt Paul Violand Tango Tango Sailing Charters LLC

Room Tip: i stayed in room # 4.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank paul v
Reviewed 6 December 2011

We have stayed at the Beef Island Guest House four different times as the last night of our vacation after a week of sailing. It is just what we need to get our land legs back and relax before having to come home. It's not a 5-star hotel, but I love it. It's casual, folks aren't hovering over you, and you can truly just make yourself at home. You can use the fridge, breakfast is whatever is there that you want to fix. If you are wanting to be pampered, this is probably not your kind of place, but if you want to experience true island life, the Guest House in Trellis Bay is it! Manager Kim Mobley was great - she was so well-informed about the area and its history - it was a pleausre to sit and talk to her. And they are always so good about giving you a lift for the very short ride to the airport - it's close enough to walk, but who wants to do that on the last day of vacation??! We hope it remains just as it is.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cwaddle
Reviewed 27 July 2011

We stayed at Beef Island Guest House on our final night in the BVI, between leaving our sailboat charter and catching a plane at 7:00 the next morning. We chose the BIGHouse because of its proximity to the airport: it's located basically right at the end of the runway. Not a problem as this is a small airport with small planes, and they close at night.

Our room overlooked the bay and the beach was right out our front door. No air conditioning but plenty of fans and open windows. Very homey, clean and comfortable, good value for the money when you compare it to other hotels in the BVI. We were welcomed by the owners and felt at home right away. There were bagels and fruit in the fridge which we could access ourselves for breakfast before our very early morning departure.

Trellis Bay is shallow and not suitable for swimming but you can take a lovely walk along the beach. Lots of little establishments along the shore including some bars, restaurants, and a convenience store. Most of the residents there seem to be ex-pats from somewhere else: there's a nice feel to the culture of the place, quite different from elsewhere in the BVI. Fresh fish for sale at the end of the day, right on the beach. We wished we'd known about this place earlier in our trip: an easy dinghy journey from our previous mooring over on Marina Cay.

Room Tip: Ask for beachfront if possible as the ventilation is much better on that side.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lindaslair
Reviewed 19 April 2011

I really don't want to waste too much time talking about this guest house - it is not worth it. However, I did want to share with others that the accommodations are nice, the location is very pretty, it is over priced for what is is and the Manager, Kim, seems like she would rather be anywhere else but greeting and taking care of guests there (which I find amazing because she lives in paradise).

We stayed at the Beef Island Guest House on the first day of an 8 day BVI vacation. And it was not a great start to our trip to paradise. Kim was for the most part rude. She had no sense of welcoming her guests, caring for her guests while they were there (with the exception of one small nice favor she did for us) or sending her guests off to their rest of their vacation in a pleasant manner. It seems she either does not like people, or simply does not like her job.

Also, we tolerated the earth digging machines that started working right under our guest room window at 8:30 the next morning. While I can understand the need to improve a property I cannot understand why any hospitality establishment would hire someone who was not interested in hospitality.

On the off hand chance that the hotel owners may care... There are two improvements that the Beef Island Guest House must make before I would go back there or recommend it to anyone else. 1.) Take Kim out of a customer facing position, it clearly is not something she enjoys 2.) Lower the cost to stay there, which is too high for what it is.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank GregInDenver
islandsiren, General Manager at Beef Island Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2011

I am very sorry that you did not find me to be a great hostess at the Beef Island Guest House. I guess it would do no good to try and have you change your mind by explaining to you that the day of your visit was one of the worst days of my job as manager. I do try to greet our guest and help them anyway I can (as you mentioned the favor I did for you). I am sorry that the major problems we had with the drain field at the time of your short one day stay required my attention rather than being available to make you feel more welcome. That same problem was the reason for the machinery you mentioned. I know it was an inconvenience for you on your vacation but I do assure you it was not planned and if not corrected the results would have been a much bigger inconvenience to you. I will add one more correction to your statements about me, on that particular day of your stay I would much rather have been meeting and greeting guests than dealing with the problems that required my attention. I am pleased that you found good things to say about the guest house itself and only had problems with me.

Reviewed 3 April 2011

We sailed the British Virgin Islands for a week and needed a room close to the airport for our last night. The guesthouse has 4 bedrooms with thier own bathroom, a common living area, large kitche, and a screened porch in front. The common areas were full of interesting books and games. Our hostess-manager, Kim greeted us and our friends and made us feel at home. Set right on the beach Trellis Bay is out the front door and eclectic shops and restaurants line the beach. Our room was comfortable with a ceiling fan and large floor fan. No AC. A help yourself breakfast was provided the next morning consisting of fruit, juice, muffins,croissants, coffee, bagels, English muffins.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room.
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple